Tuesday 4 January 2022

Reading, Watching, Buying, Wearing - A Mid-week Round Up

 

With Covid rife amongst our friends, it's been a quiet start to 2022. Four days into the New Year and we still haven't been to the pub. On Sunday I chucked the wilted Solstice greenery on the compost heap, recycled the Xmas cards and put away any Xmas presents we hadn't already drunk, eaten or worn.


Liz & Al bought us tickets for Kinky Boots at Wolverhampton Grand in May - Liz made the fabulous Kinky Boot the tickets were wrapped in. They also gave us a hamper full of treats, vegan soap, a handmade pompom trimmed choker, nail varnish and a handmade toilet bag. Our lovely neighbours bought treats for Stephen, a VW enamel sign and some delicious Dappy Rum, which we've already put a sizeable dent into. As well as the book of George Cartlidge's work and some fancy dates, Jon also surprised me with the painting of us by Liz, which we posed for last year. I bought him a vintage sacred cow collection tin from India, we'd had an almost identical one rattled in our faces by pilgrims on the long-distance bus between Jodphur and Jaisalmer in 2020. I'd also bought him an organic cotton lounging set (already in use), slavery-free chocolate and Mythos by Stephen Fry. Tony bought us some Fortnum & Mason teabags and Cornish rum. My brother & his girlfriend bought us a stone gargoyle named Bill and Pukka tea. Liz's mum bought us an amaryllis which is already sprouting.


On New Year's Eve, just like last year, we received a wonderful card with a hilarious poem from Jo in Canberra which put a huge smile on our faces. Happy New Year, Jo! 


Yesterday was a Bank Holiday which, as usual, I ignored and did what I always do on a weekday, got up at 6am for my Wii Fit Workout. After Jon retouched my roots, we spent most of the day photographing and listing stock on eBay and once we were done I finished my first book of 2022, the post-apocalyptic thriller The Second Sleep by Robert Harris. If you've never read anything by him, you really should, he was my Dad's favourite author - and in my top five. 

Here's what I read in 2021. 

  1. A Darker Domain - Val McDermid
  2. A Delicate Truth - John le Carré
  3. A Distant Echo - Val McDermid
  4. A Single Thread - Tracey Chevalier
  5. A Thousand Ships - Natalie Hayes
  6. A Woman in Berlin - Anonymous
  7. Astray - Emma Donaghue
  8. Black Flowers - Steve Mosby
  9. Cast iron - Peter May
  10. Circe - Madeline Miller
  11. Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant - Anne Tyler
  12. Dissolution - CJ Sanson
  13. Earthly Pleasures - Phillipa Gregory
  14. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman
  15. Grayson Perry, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Girl - Wendy Jones
  16. Heresy - SJ Parris
  17. Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng
  18. Lone Wolf - Jodi Picoult
  19. Looking Good Dead - Peter James
  20. Loved Clothes Last - Orsola de Castro
  21. Lustrum - Robert Harris
  22. Missing - Karin Alvtegan
  23. My Sister, The Serial Killer - Oyinkan Braithwaite
  24. Nutshell - Ian McEwan
  25. Our House - Louise Candlish
  26. Queen's Gambit - EC Freemantle
  27. Reconstruction - Mick Herron
  28. Reflections on a Marine Venus - Lawrence Durrell
  29. Slow Horses - Mick Herron
  30. The Black Country - Alex Grecian
  31. The Cobra - Frederick Forsyth
  32. The Electric Michelangelo - Sarah Hall
  33. The Good Liar - Nicholas Searle
  34. The Herbalist - Niamh Boyce
  35. The Knife - Jo Nesbo
  36. The Last Kashmiri Rose - Barbara Cleverly
  37. The Last Weekend - Blake Morrison
  38. The Machine - James Smythe
  39. The Madness of a Seduced Woman - Susan Fromberg Shaeffer
  40. The Mercies - Kiran Millwood Hargrave
  41. The Mission Song - John le Carré
  42. The Music of The Spheres - Elizabeth Redfern
  43. The Resurrectionist - James Bradley
  44. The Retribution - Val McDermid
  45. The Silence of the Girls - Pat Barker
  46. The Silent Patient - Alex Michaelides
  47. The Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller
  48. The Wicked Cometh - Laura Carlin
  49. These Demented Lands - Alan Warner
  50. Three Hours - Rosamund Lupton
  51. Virgin Earth - Philippa Gregory
  52. Washington Black - Esi Edugyan
  53. White Crocodile - KT Medina
  54. Dead Lions - Mick Herron
  55. The Taming of the Queen - Philippa Gregory
  56. The Other Passenger - Louise Candlish
  57. Slammerkin - Emma Donaghue
  58. Strange Shores - Arnaldur Indridason
  59. Revelation - CJ Samson
  60. Rummage - Emily Cockayne
  61. The Kingdom - Jo Nesbo
  62. The Thursday Murder Club - Richard Osman
  63. The Lady & The Unicorn - Rumer Godden
  64. An Agent Running In The Field - John Le Carre
  65. The Virgin's Lover - Philippa Gregory
  66. Morris Ware, Tiles and Art of George Cartlidge - Tony Johnson

TV-wise, we've binge-watched the BBC's stupendously good, The Tourist (leaving the final part to watch later) and loved the first episode of series 4 of The Great Pottery Throwdown. We also watched A Very British Scandal. The new series of The Apprentice starts on Thursday (the British version, ours is mercifully Trump-free) which always divides the house - I love it and Jon loathes it.


We have been wearing clothes this week (honest!) but by the time I'd thought about taking photos, it was either too dark or too wet but I managed to get my act together today. Lord Jon's wearing his Levi 510s (eBay), Clarks' boots & Fatface cashmere jumper (both charity shopped) and the antiqued leather bag he bought in Rhodes. I bought him the herringbone overcoat from La Redoute twenty years ago and today was its last hurrah before it goes on eBay. 


I spotted this English-made Celtic & Co sheepskin hat listed on eBay as a Buy-it-Now for a fraction of the £83 it currently retails for and soon snaffled it.


Here's what I wore under my coat today - the mild weather has left us and we've got snow forecast for later in the week. The vintage dress, labelled "hand-embroidered, 100% cotton, Made in India" was my birthday present to myself in 2020. The Art Noveau belt was a charity shop find and the 1960s-does-Edwardian boots were £1 from a car boot sale in 2010. I had them reheeled in November.





We've been charity shopping twice since 1st January - that's half the year! 


Finds included: a vintage sheepskin coat; Ted Baker suede loafers; a 1970s Littlewoods fake sheepskin (Jon's swapped it for the La Redoute coat); Ted Baker wool blazer with tags still attached; 1960s all-wool Stirling Cooper cardi; a vintage navy leather clutch bag with woven peacock detail, labelled "Real leather, Made in Britain" (possibly made in Walsall, now mine!); Indigo Moon jacket; 1960s Skips sheepskin boots; Paul Smith "The Byford" blazer (part of a suit, still on their website for £790); another Indigo Moon jacket; an Indonesian surf shirt with a groovy bikini babe print; scalloped edge leather jacket; a pair of 1970s Bermona Trend straw hats.


Here's the cardi in more detail - check out those sleeve stripes! It's 100% wool and in pretty good nick for something as old as I am. A snip at £2!

Anthony Price with Shelagh Brown at Stirling Cooper (Italian Vogue, 1968)

Stirling Cooper was a fashion wholesaler who, along with Biba and Quorum, helped define British fashion in the late 1960s. It was started by two London cab drivers, Ronnie Stirling and Jeff Cooper in 1967 who used a double-decker bus as a mobile showroom. After being introduced to Jane Whiteside, a graduate from the Royal College of Art, Stirling Cooper launched its own designs in March 1968, quickly gaining media attention. Until then, their clothes had only been available at the Peter Robinson department stores in London & Sheffield, a booth at Kensington Market called Make Believe Dreams and a stall at Bond Street Market.



By October 1969 Stirling Cooper had opened a stand-alone boutique in London's Wigmore Street. The Times fashion editor, Prudence Glynn wrote: Descent, is through the jaws of a dragon and you expect to find yourself in a salon with a digestive tract decor. In fact, once you have been swallowed by Geoffrey Vivas' smiling monster the style is Japanese bathhouse.  After warning Times readers about the skimpy and body-revealing doors of the women's changing rooms, Glynn added that this store was the best way to see Whiteside's whole collection in context. She described dresses trousers and shirts embellished with men's silver trouser buttons, adding: free from the qualms of any store buyer she does ankle-length bonded jersey skirts, long waistcoats, tie-around spiv jackets and saggy mid-length jersey coats. A whole personal statement in clothes at such modest prices that the message reaches a mass audience.

Mick Jagger in Anthony Price's button-side trousers from Sterling Cooper

Menswear was also available in the new store, designed by Anthony Price, like Jane Whiteside, recruited straight from the London College of Art. Price's directional garments attracted a large fan base – especially after Mick Jagger became a customer of Stirling Cooper, wearing Price's button-side trousers on the 'Gimme Shelter' tour.

I do love a bit of fashion history!


Talking of fashion -well, not really, these new additions to my wardrobe aren't fashion-led, I'll hopefully be wearing them for years. I've been eyeing up the dress on the right for three years and lusting after the other one for months. As with any new purchase, I go through my wardrobe and sell anything I don't love as much as the garments I've set my heart on and once I've raised the funds I buy them. Out went an Afghan waistcoat, a suede coat and two quilted block printed jackets - empty coathangers and cash in the bank!

Tomorrow looks like the last dry day of the week so adventure beckons. I'll report back very soon.

63 comments:

  1. love the story about stirling cooper and the vintage fashion shots!
    beautiful new dresses...... and smart wardrobe maintaining. here is no market for 2.hand clothes that are not contemporary brands - beside the huge shops who only sell donations - so i have to wear my textiles until they fell apart (hard task with the quality of vintage!) before i can by new beauties.... ;-D
    lovely pressies from your friends - an the painting jon bought from liz is awesome!
    stay warm! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so lucky here to have a buoyant vintage market and we can always get our money back (and usually more) when we sell on our clothes. Fortunately you're amazingly skilled with a needle & thread and have great vision so you can refashion your wardrobe when you fancy a change.
      I still can't believe Jon bought me that painting! xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Vix, those new dresses look very pretty and versatile. Jon's sheepskin hat is a great find too. That was an impressive reading list for 2021 and some lovely and unusual pressies for Christmas. Your black Indian dress is unusual and I love that Indian collection tin. Interesting reading about Sterling Cooper, didn't they do really good jeans in the late 60s or early 70s? think that's what I remembered them for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty! I'm excited about those dresses, they exceeeded my expectations. I'll be wearing them with thermals underneath over the next few months and with bare legs and Lottas in the Summer.
      I'd been aftre one of those collection tins since we'd spotted one in India. I'll have to send you a link to the website I found it on, full of Indian vintage & salvage.
      I'm not sure about Stirling Cooper doing jeans, I can only think of Lee Cooper but could be wrong! xxx

      Delete
  3. Goodness you read a lot of books in 2021! I don't usually binge watch things, preferring to savour them weekly in case I can't find a decent replacement, but I'm so tempted to binge watch The Tourist! Loving it so far. Interesting history about Sterling Cooper. I love the idea of the mobile showroom on a bus! I'm eagerly awaiting my new dress. The post is so slow at the moment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too impatient to wait a week so The Tourist is done and dusted - and excellent stuff it was, too! There's a couple of new things starting on Walter Presents at the weekend plus three spy series we've found on the new device so that'll keep us out of trouble!
      I hope you get your dress soon - she posted mine first class last Wednesday - the post really is taking ages at the moment! xxx

      Delete
  4. They're getting pinged left,right and centre up here. Both my boys and their families are isolating,though all tests have been negative, apart from my eldest Granddaughter's. Thankfully she's showing no symptoms but no school this week again. Fantastic array of gifts gifted and received. My fave is the painting of you and his lordship. I'm sure there was a factory near me in Scotland that churned out Sterling Cooper denim wear. A Very British Scandal was very good. I forgot Pottery Throwdown was on. Will catch up with it later. Have a good first week of 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the eldest granddaughter continues to be symptom free, it's getting ridiculous.
      Aren't I lucky having that painitng? I laugh when I think back to having to pose for it and Lord Jon grumbling about his back the whole time, ever the romantic!
      I enjoyed A Very British Scandal, what an utter b*stard he was. Hope your week is going well and staying healthy! xxx

      Delete
    2. She's fine but they're all getting stir crazy with having to be indoors for a whole 10 days. They're amusing themselves making TikTok vids!! It was the Lee Cooper factory I was thinking about in Greenock. Interesting story about the women who worked there staging a sit-in strike when the factory was threatened with closure!

      Delete
    3. I bet they are going stir-crazy, it's not like it's the summer and they can sit outside in teh garden. It must feel like an eternity.
      I wondered if it was Lee Cooper rather than Stirling Cooper, I must read up on that. Girl power! xxx

      Delete
  5. Sorry to learn many of your friends have been caught by the latest variant - hope everyone recov ers quickly.

    Great Pottery Throwdown is much loved here, have watched since the first series. As with so many shows of this type, this year the standard seems to have started incredibly high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is spreading like wildfire, luckily everyone is triple jabbed and their symptoms have been mild.
      WE didn't get into the Throwdown until I happened upon it by accident lasy year, we've watched both of the previous Channel series and funnily enough we had the same thoughts as you, that first challenge was like something you'd get in the previous finals. I can't believe those potter's skills! xxx

      Delete
  6. Evening Vix, the new dresses are lovely and of course you are going to look fab! I love your idea of selling to buy much coveted items. My sons and I had two rooms covered in stuff to list today and tomorrow the decs come down boy the house ws er interesting no chance of improptue visitors in these covid times (mores the pity) so it didn't matter. I am impressed by both your reading list and your chazza finds. Yeah isn't The Tourist gripping. I am watching it as much for the outback scenery. Have a fab evening Shazxx loved Jo's postcard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shaz! Thanks so much! I love it when the eBay mood strikes and Jon & I turn the house upside down looking for suitable stuff. Good luck with the selling! I've just tajen down the greenery from the kitchen door, Jon keeps hearing it scraoing against the glass at night and thinks he's in a horror film.
      The Tourist was such a good watch, the Outback scenery was stunning. xxx

      Delete
  7. Meant to say the painting was a thoughtful gift from Jon. I love giving paintings to hubster. Shazx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that when I've hung it on the wall I'll forever think of the fun we had posing for that painting. xxx

      Delete
  8. I'm admiring Jon's warm, wooly hat! I'm also admiring your wearing of multi-season maxi's, beneath which one can layer tights, socks and boots. Yes, we are experiencing the full blast of winter winds here in the American Midwest. Also, a tsunami of Covid cases which are overwhelming the local hospital, clinics and caregivers -- and still some clubs and congregations choose to gather, maskless, and party on.

    Since I tick several boxes on the "at risk" list, I'm staying inside with cats, books and tea bags, and spending (literally) far too much on eBay and etsy. When, prithee tell, will Kinky Melon resume online listings and international shipping? That Walsall navy clutch with peacock feather detail is speaking to me: good job it's in your personal collection now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a super warm, sheepy hat - I might pinch it if he's not careful! I'm trying to make my wardrobe multi-seasonal, no tiresome swapping over of anything but my few halerneck dresses and very thin skirts. I like evrything too much to pack away!
      I think you're very wise by staying in with cats, books and tea bags - I wish I could work out why my listings aren't visible to anyone outside the UK, I've subscribed to their International Shipping Programme so can send all around the world (via a reputatable agent). xxx

      Delete
  9. What an impressive list of books Vix! The Robert Harris book has me intrigued. Very groovy Stirling Cooper 60s pictures. Liz's painting from Jon is lovely. I am taking five bags to the charity shop tomorrow (if it is a 'dry day' - they only allow donations on dry days :0 ) so may allow myself a little look around... Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surprised myself with the amount I read last year! Definitely grab that Robert Harris book if you see it. It totally took me by surprise as I hadn't read the blurb on the back and was expecting a historical thriller.
      Fancy your chazzas having designated donation days. I bet they'll be thrilled with five bags of swag - hopefully that'll mean good charity shop karma and treasure awaiting you! xxx

      Delete
    2. Just sticking my head in to say we started watching The Tourist on iPlayer on your recommendation - loving it thus far! (It was indeed a dry day last Wednesday - so they took the bags - lucky really as it has rained solid every day since!!!)

      Delete
    3. Hello Lulu! Isn't The Tourist fantastic? We had to watch the lot over two nights, it was too gripping not to. Great news about the bags! xxx

      Delete
  10. Ooooh I do love a bit of fash history, thank you Vix!

    I'm just about to prep some stuff to sell on eBay - I do put a bit of the nicest in the charity shop bag (karma) but I need to release some of the unworn and overlooked to top up the coffers. (Having said that I saw that longer length Indigo Moon on your finds pix and I'm very tempted LMAO).

    We've been having a look at some of the online book-selling oppos like Ziffit - as we have boxes of psychology books from when my Mister did his degree. They don't fetch that much but at least this way it means they'll have a second life - and it will clear out the attic.

    It was fine but v. cold today but we managed to get our new tree lily bulbs planted (late - but they are forgiving). We had our old ones for ages but last year they had some kind of fungal rust lurgy - they had loads of flowers but I had to keep taking leaves off (having said that - hardly any lily beetles - they mustn't likey). I don't like to use chemicals at all - but this was all very disheartening. I hope we have better luck this year - new bulbs, new pots and a helping of coffee-ground infused compost stirred into the mix!

    Take care all - thermals on! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! We do just that, pop one or two treasures into the charity shop donation bag. We do so well from shopping in them, it's only fair to repay them with some decent bits and pieces. I'll let you know when I list that Indigo Moon, it's a fab length and just the right amounbt of embellishment.
      I've heard about Ziffit before, the Mister's collection will be much appreciated by a skint student, I'm sure.
      Oh, tree lily bulbs! I hope they reward you with a good show. I'm quite excited by how many of the bulbs I planted in November are already poking through, I had visions of our rather portly squirrels munching the lot! We do the coffee ground thing, too! xxx

      Delete
  11. Your made in India dress is totally exquisite. Best wishes for your friends' recovery from covid. We are finally out and about here in Auckland, New Zealand, so fortunate in these times to be living here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's such an extravagent cut with that full skirt and huge sleeves, brilliant for layering up in the winter!
      We keep expecting to be put into lockdown but it appears that the symptoms amongst the vaccinated, which all our friends are, are mild so its pretty much business as usual just with masks and Covid passess for nightclubs and big events. xxx

      Delete
  12. I read the Second Sleep last year. Interested in what you think of it.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read that it was the year 1468 I was expecting a Medieval thriller and was most perplexed by the mention of plastic and King Charles. It all became clear in the end.
      I love Robert Harris, he's such a skilled writer. Even if it's a subject I'm not interested in, like Conclave which was about the election of the pope, he completely drew me in. xxx

      Delete
  13. I love a good cardi. That one really sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat pockets and a leather football button! xxx

      Delete
  14. Those pictures at the end make me think of Noel Fielding and his terrific clothes! You sure got some lovely things. I nee to break into my 12 a tea a day box. I've been waiting for a truly quiet day once the kid goes back to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the Noel Fielding thing! I saw The Mighty Boosh on stage a few years ago, he's good to look at and very funny, too!
      We love a fancy tea in this house. xxx

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year, Vix! My hubby's going to check out your dad's favorite author! We read at least 20 of the Brother Cadfael series (Ellis Peters(. Have you tried them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Rebecca! I hope your hubby loved Robert Harris as much as I do! His Cicero Trilogy will have him donning a toga and demanding to be fed grapes, he really does bring different eras to life!
      I love Ellis Peters Cadfael books. I discovered CJ Sansom's Shardlake series during lockdown, historical murder mysteries set during the reign of Henry VIII. Huge books but so absorbing. xxx

      Delete
  16. Yes, the covid's been burning like wildfire here too. I love that Jon partakes (always be upgrading, Jon!) from the vintage stuff you find, which is always just so good. Cool bit of English fashion history (I've never seen any of those labels over here in Canuck-land). What a lovely Xmas you had, full of wonderful gifts. My eye went right to Liz's painting - what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see any of us escaping it at this rate. When we do our twice weekly tests I do a happy danbce in the kitchen and feel like I've dodged a bullet!
      We're happy to be in the Sheila school of continually upgrading. It's take Jon a while to get it, he can be a terrible hoarder (he's still got the Speedos he wore on his first lads' holiday to Zante in the 80s!)
      Isn't that painting a treasure? xxx

      Delete
  17. Our chazza shops round here tend to be full of modern cast offs which dont often scream ' take me home' and the prices have gone up to the point they are not much less than the originals, I've given up on rummaging through them as I often come away disappointed. The stock is also indicative of the local populace dress sense which is not something I aspire to where I live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not wanting to aspire to the way the local populace dress made me laugh out loud. The vast majority of the stock in our chazzas is of the bland, badly-made and poor quality variety - although it does make finding a gem a lot easier, quality stands out a mile. xxx

      Delete
  18. We've been keeping ourselves to ourselves too, but did manage a couple of charity shopping trips during the holidays. I like the sound of charity shopping half of the year :-)
    Great finds as usual, and I loved reading about the history of Stirling Cooper, and seeing the ads.
    Love the outfit you managed to photograph. That Art Nouveau belt is just perfect with the dress. And your new purchases look fabulous, and well worth trading some of the pieces in your wardrobe for.
    How wonderful that Jon bought Liz's painting. I saw it again recently on her Instagram!
    Can't get over the number of books you read ... I really must get my act together in that department. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've managed a couple of charity shop forays. We'll try and squeeze another one in before the end of the week, I'm always mindful of a sudden lockdown and being denied the chance of a rummage.
      That dress must have been worn at least once a week since I bought it, the voluminious proportions are ideal for stealth thermals!
      Aren't I lucky to get that painting? Lord Jon's not a bad lad! xxx

      Delete
  19. You read a lot of interesting books in 2020. I love that Indian vintage dress you bought in 2020, such a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! You painted me in that dress the year before last, I might have to add a thumbnail to my sidebar! xxx

      Delete
  20. Happy New Year, Vix and Jon!! xo
    I do love me some Jo Nesbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, Carol!
      Jo Nesbo is fantastic, I'm just about to finish Blood on Snow, another gripping read. xxx

      Delete
  21. Happy New Year! Indigo Moon seems to have featured in your shopping finds quite a lot recently! Really pretty stuff! You also got some lovely presents including that lovely painting! Jon's hat looks super cosy. I'd wear that too!
    Lovely to see your book list- you read some really varied and interesting ones.
    I still need to do my end of year book post too but it takes ages so I put it off!
    Your ffeature on Stirling Cooper was really interesting to read - thank you for sharing. I didn't know that fashion house!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kezzie! I think someone had got donated their collection of Indigo Moon jackets, they were from the same shop as my last haul. I left quite a few behind, too. It's good to see pretty things made in larger sizes.
      I remember my Mum having a few Stirling Cooper pieces when I was little so it was exciting to see the label again. xxx

      Delete
  22. Wish shops had interesting decor today-hard to imagine a dragon's jaws or much of anything beyond the generic made to be identifiable places we have now.
    Your new dresses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't it look cool? I remember a boutique built like a spaceship in Birmingham in the early 1970s. There was even an astronaut's control panel inside. Nowadays its all strip lighting, white walls and laminate floors - hardly an exciting experience! xxx

      Delete
  23. Oh, I adore that artwork of you and Jon. How cute!

    Plus, your two dresses are utterly fabulous, well worth a little wardrobe clear out. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I wasn't expecting him to buy that painting, it was a fab surprise! xxx

      Delete
  24. I love that poem from Jo and your philosophy on buying new clothes - I think I will adopt it.
    Ive just read The Scient of Storytelling by Will Storr - not just for writers but a great insight into how the human mind works too. Great for readers too.
    Happy New Year. Day 6 of Covid here and still under house arrest with a cold. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that cold goes soon and that you're able to escape house arrest soon.
      I shall keep my eyes peeled for that book, it sounds very interesting! xxx

      Delete
  25. Great finds and the new dresses are fab!

    Sounds like you got some brilliant presents for Christmas.

    I loved 'The Tourist' but the final episode was a bit odd - I thought.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! I loved The Tourist, I liked the quirky ending. It didn't take itself too seriously considering the dark start! xxx

      Delete
  26. So lovely treats!, and so lovely postcard from Jo, the poem has put a smile on my face and it's great to enjoy those good vibes and humour!
    Those two dresses look really fabulous!, and love the way you keep upgrading your wardrobe and sharing fabulousness!. You're really inspiring!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Jo's poem funny? She's certainly got a way with words! xxx

      Delete
  27. You’ll love Kinky Boots, we saw it in London a few years ago. It’s a fabulous show.
    Happy new year to you both and here’s to more of your fabulous blog posts Vix. You’ve kept us all going over the last two years with what you’ve both been upto. Thank you.
    Hope Liz is okay. Send her my love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, I can't wait to see it!
      Awww, thank you so much for your kind words and support, you've brought a tear to my eye. xxx

      Delete
  28. You've found some great things there. It was really interesting reading about Stirling Cooper. We went round the chazzas on Saturday and one was *full* of Primark stuff. Nasty. It doesn't last long from new, so I dread to think how long/well a secondhand piece would hold up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it depressing where the rails are full of nasty, cheaply made stuff? The good thing is that a quality piece stands out a mile. xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix