Commissioned in 1935 and completed in 1936 by architects Bernabiti and Petracco, Eleousa’s original inhabitants were mostly Italian woodworkers and their families from the regions of Trentino and Alto Adige. Designed as a logistical hub, settlers’ dwellings were spread separately outside of the piazza in the surrounding countryside. Campochiaro briefly fulfilled its purpose as a Fascist settlement from 1937 until the arrival of Nazi forces in 1943, serving as a headquarters until 1945. After unification with Greece in 1947, Campochiaro’s buildings were re-purposed as a sanatorium treating tuberculosis until 1970. In subsequent years part of the complex was used as a school, and thereafter a Greek army barracks until 2000. The original buildings have undergone several alterations over the years, now standing largely abandoned.
Numerous small settlements existed in the broader area of Archangelos during the Hellenistic era. After the 7th century AD the settlements near the coast were abandoned due to the frequent invasions of pirates and their inhabitants settled inland, over time these settlements were merged into one forming the town of Archangelos.
After the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the Knights Hospitaller who were occupying the island of Rhodes since 1309, built a fortress on top of one of the town's nearby hills to protect from a possible Ottoman invasion on the island. Ruins of this, the castle of Saint John, remain today.
The fifth and final installment coming soon. Thanks for reading!