Thursday 28 October 2021

Pachyderms, Pompeii, Patchwork & Charity Shop Finds

After my Wii Fit session, a blog comment catch-up and a flurry of eBay parcel wrapping, I spent Tuesday morning ironing, photographing and listing stock on eBay, leaving Jon to do the accounts - pretty straightforward this last tax year as all our sales were online.

After lunch, I spent the afternoon in the garden, sweeping up leaves and planting the 2kg bag of narcissi bulbs we'd bought from Wilko on Sunday. Lord Jon was far too distracted to take an outfit photo so I had to make do with a mirror selfie after sunset. That's the vintage Annabelinda wool pinafore dress I found in the clearance chazza a couple of months ago, worn with a 1970s Ayesha Davar cheesecloth blouse and my Rhodes Town beads. 

After half a cheese and onion quiche and salad we watched Monday night's 24 Hours in Police Custody and another episode of When The Dust Settles.


Wednesday was charity shopping day and we drove over to one of our favourite Black Country towns for a rummage via the Post Office to drop off our eBay parcels. Although the rails in all the shops we visited were absolutely rammed, pickings were slim. I found a lovely conker coloured leather belt and a couple of Philippa Gregory books (for me), a 1960s velvet & wool jacket, two 1980s suede jackets with the manufacturer's labels still attached, a 1970s Viyella House blazer (by appointment to HM the Queen!), a 1980s leather waistcoat, an unworn 1970s tweed Norfolk jacket by Dunn & Co, a 1990s Benetton tartan wool bomber jacket and a beautifully cut dress from the Nordic label, Arket. Jon treated himself to a wool cap for £1 (photo later on in the post!)


It was another unseasonable mild day (not that you'll get any complaints from me!) I wore possibly one of my favourite charity shop finds ever, a vintage Indian cotton block printed maxi dress by Adini. In the four years I've owned it, it has popped up regularly on my blog and even travelled around Rajasthan. Every time I wear it I feel like a goddess.


If I did the cost per wear thing, at £3 it probably owes me money by now.

After lunch, I did a load of washing and replaced the buttons on the 1960s black jacket I'd bought earlier before dying my roots (my bedroom mirror selfie the previous day was horrifying!) Wednesday was rum night so, after our half a pizza and sweet potato wedges, we poured ourselves a glass or three of Captain Morgan's finest white rum and watched more of When The Dust Settles....fine acting but, goodness me, it's a harrowing watch.

Thursday's breakfast fruit and yoghurt included a handful of absolutely delicious raspberries from the garden. Afterwards, we walked around the corner to drop off my completed accounts. Jon waited while I masked up and went inside to hand them over. As always I ended up chatting to Michael, my elderly & thoroughly charming accountant, for ages and Jon was practically nodding off on the wall outside by the time I came out. From there we walked the mile or so to Jon's accountant, handed his paperwork over and carried on into town.

Nobody knows why we have a lifesize concrete hippotamus in the town centre. What on earth does an overweight, aggressive mammal have in common with the people of Walsall? (On second thoughts, don't answer that.) He was unveiled in 1972 and has become a much-loved resident. Until he was moved to outside the library ten years ago he took pride of place in the high street and was a popular meeting point, "See you by the hippo." 


This is officially Lord Jon's last week of wearing shorts, he informs me that he'll be packing them away on 1st November. He's wearing the cap he found yesterday and the leather bag he bought in Rhodes Town.
 

A few yards away from the hippo is a statue honouring John Henry Carless, one of three young men from Walsall to be awarded the Victoria Cross, built from money raised by the people of Walsall and unveiled in 1919.


Born in Caldmore in 1896, John, like his two sisters, was employed in one of Walsall's many leatherworks and was also a promising footballer. During WWI he tried repeatedly to join the army but was turned down on four occasions due to having a "weak heart". His application to join the Royal Navy was more successful and he enlisted on 1st September 1915.

In November 1917 British ships battled German forces in the Second Battle of Heligoland Bight. During the action, John took a fatal shrapnel wound to the stomach but kept loading his gun, and encouraged his colleagues to do likewise. Once relieved, he collapsed and died. He was buried at sea the following day.

The commander of HMS Caledon, H.S. Harrison-Wallace, subsequently wrote to Carless's parents:

He was a most gallant lad and very promising. We feel his loss on the ship very much and all send their sincere sympathy to you and his family in his loss... You will be very proud to have the satisfaction of knowing that he did his duty so bravely and gallantly, fighting his King and country's enemy – the finest death a man can have. I buried him at sea and he had a very impressive funeral, attended by all his shipmates and the commander.


Sandwiched between Walsall library and 'Spoons is Walsall's town hall. Built of sandstone in the Baroque style, it opened in 1903 and despite living in the town all our lives, we're still mesmerised by the wonderful stonework. 



Today was the first time I'd noticed this fella's six-pack!





Here's the derelict Imperial. 




It opened as the Agricultural Hall in 1868 but was given a makeover in 1899 & renamed The Imperial. It started screening films in 1908 and continued to do so until 4th May, 1968 when the last film it showed was Cat Ballou with Jane Fonda & Lee Marvin. After decades of use as a bingo hall, it closed in 1996 and reopened a year later as a Wetherspoons, our favourite pub chain! 


Yes, up until 2016 Walsall had the honour of having two branches of Wetherspoons. We used to call The Imperial Rough 'Spoons because of the number of fights that used to break out and St Matthew's Hall (the pub we often spend all day in) as Posh 'Spoons as the beer prices were slighter higher to keep the riff-raff out. When we used to have blogger meet-ups in Walsall, I'd take my friends to both to get a proper taste of Black Country life. That's me and Curtise in Rough 'Spoons back in 2012.


Of course, we had to pop into the town's charity shops (although we gave the clearance chazza a miss as we'll be going on Sunday). We found a gents 1950s reversible moleskin waistcoat, a 1970s flecked wool coat, a 1960s Meritus paisley satin smoking jacket, a rather insane looking 1980s Kangol hat and a stunner of a vintage leather bag with the Penny Lane Casuals tag still attached (it's already in my wardrobe!)


We walked back up the Hill of Doom, calling into the chemist to pick up a box of lateral flow tests so we can continue to test for Covid at home twice a week, responsible adults that we are! After lunch, we pottered around the garden with The Lads.


There's no seasonal swapover at Stonecroft. I don't really have a winter wardrobe, I just wear coats, hats and boots with my cotton dresses (with thermals underneath if it gets particularly cold). Today I wore one of my Dilli Grey block printed midis (via eBay) with the vintage suede coat Cheryl gave me and a hat bought from a charity shop back in 2018. That's the belt I found in the charity shop yesterday.


Remember that roll of West African waxed cotton offcuts I bought in a charity shop before we went away? A few people commented that it had something to do with quilting - which is all very well and good if you're into all that stuff but it's not something that floats my boat.


Here's what I did with a few of the strips, glued them to my knackered 1960s Worcesterware wastepaper basket to create a patchwork effect and trimmed it with some pompom braid from my stash.

Tonight we're taking a break from bleak Scandi Noir and watching the new documentary series on Pompeii with one of our favourite TV historians, Bettany Hughes.

See you soon!

23 comments:

  1. I’m just writing a blog post about an exhibition we went to on Wednesday featuring waxed cotton. You’ve made good use of the fabric rolls. Ive often seen them and had to stop myself buying them, I’ve got enough fabric without starting collecting them as well.
    I love the pic of you and Curtis. It seems an age since we were all at Stockport.
    Like you I’ve visited the accountants this week and have handed in our very last vat return and all the necessary stuff to start the process of closing down the company. Yippee
    Poor Philip is laid up with a bad back so that’s my new cork wall on the back burner for a few days.
    Bit grim up north weather wise, I’m in boots and tights
    Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to get a glimpse of Curtise! I hope she is well, and I miss her blog. If she has one, please share. I thought perhaps you were a quilter as your curtains and bedspread are the pattern, but the basket looks proper cool! I feel like we'll still have guys in shorts even if it snows here and there until December. It is a cold and bleak day today..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love poring over your purchases (I knew you would grab that amazing belt!) and your outfits, Vix! I am mesmerized by the mesh overlay on the buildings - I'm guessing to prevent bird shit?? Such a good idea! Everything here is covered in seagull and pigeon shit, ha ha! I love seeing bits of your town. Here, I would take you to Big Bad John's Bar - it's famous!

    Oh, Curtise! I miss her. I love the big hippo - what a cool town mascot. Shorts season is over for Lord Jon! That made me laugh. Hello, lads, aren't you fine?

    Yum to fresh raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous outfits, as always, and I'm not surprised you feel like a goddess whenever you wear that magnificent Adini maxi! The big hippo made me smile, and isn't Walsall's town hall just stunning? In spite of pickings being meagre, you still did well at the chazza. That insane Kangol hat reminds me of similarly bonkers ones I picked up at a flea market. I'd totally forgotten about them. Your patchwork covered wastepaper basket is fabulous! I'm sure you'll find other, equally creative, uses for that roll! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your approach to patchwork, looks brilliant. Now, what are you going to do with the rest of tht roll?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking your logic about just adding thermals and coats rather than doing a big wardrobe switch. It wouldn't work in the deepest parts of our winter, but it certainly sounds like a good way to start.

    The wastebasket looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The orange and pink color combo l love....looks great on you...forget the six pack... what a crazily fabulous pair of wings... l love your outfits, but l am always jealous of Johns outfits and his finds...plus he has such great legs for shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to say... what a handsome lad was John Henry Carless...shed a tear for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pompeii series looks interesting. Lovely pics and that hippo is a strange thing to have in a public area! so much prettier things could have been chosen. You got some great chazza finds, I think most people (like me) just don't know vintage even when it hits them in the face - maybe I should take some time looking at labels on rails - I usually scan for a fabric I like and only move in if it's quality/silk/hand block print etc. I do like your suede coat in that combo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Six pack... PAH.. Tony has his very own barrel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. on a 2. thought, the hippo would suit every small town around here too.......
    the town hall is a stunner!
    the adini dress is so beautiful - no wonder you feel posh in it. very chic with the stylish hat. raspberries from the garden - my bushes don´t even have leaves anymore....
    well done with patching up the little bucket!
    i do miss curtise!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the historical Walsall visit- thank you!!
    CBC was asking where the Black Country was yesterday and I was able to tell him because of you! (I'm shite at geography!)

    That smoking jacket!!!!!! My heart!!!
    I've been looking for one of those got ages - my favourite colours! Although I'm ideally seeking red/gold for a Chrestomanci costume, that one is gorgeous!!!
    What are those Philippa Gregory books like?
    I miss Curtise's blog.
    The Adini dress is lovely. I often see Adini things in charity shops but they usually look modern, manmade materials which is a shame.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I do love the Walsall hippo Vix. He is very smiley and looks good to sit on. The town hall is an incredible looking building. That winged fella has been working out hasn't he! How funny to have had a posh spoons and rough spoons. We just have one spoons, with rough hour and posh hour. Gorgeous colour combo with your Dilli Grey pink dress and grapefruit red colour swede coat. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your town hall is very impressive, as is your hippo! Here in London, Ontario we have a metal rhinoceros in front of the local art gallery/museum, made by a local artist, and for years people kept stealing the horn so the artist had to make extra to replace it every time some idiot stole it.

    How nice to see Curtise! I miss her blog - I follow her on Instagram so I do see her face and the kids occasionally but it's not the same.

    I have an actual closet switch over as I wear light cottons in the summer and knits and thicker cottons in the winter and I don't have the space to keep it all out. You always look so gorgeous in your beautiful maxi dresses and funky accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daughter D loves any kind of Police programme like that as she's planning to apply for an apprenticeship with the Police when she finishes her A Levels.
    I'm impressed with John still wearing his shorts, mind you it was warm and sunny here today x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea to use the fabric to recover your bin. It looks very funky!

    Walsall Town Hall is most impressive and I love the hippo! I also loved your outfits; the Adini dress is most goddess like! Jon is such a brave soul wearing shorts still, but it has been quite mild. We have walkers in our group who wear shorts all year round! It's not the cold I mind so much as the nettles and the ticks...

    Great charity shop finds- and you call that slim pickings?

    I love '24 hrs in Police Custody' especially the Luton based ones. I worked in Luton from 1988 to 2004 so am always trying to spot where the filming took place.OH loves Bettany Hughes...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm admiring Walsall's statuary: both the modern hippo and the classical figures! One suspects many kiddies have been photographed riding the river horse...

    I have mixed feelings about seasonal wardrobes. Like you, Vix, I tend to layer rather than rotate, but Jon's putting away the shorts makes more sense than wearing them throughout winter (as do our postal workers and FedEx drivers).

    Oh, gorgeous solid raspberries for breakfast! Missed gleaning the hedgerows this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gee I never know where to start on your blog. Sound like you and Jon is quite busy. I think if I had fabric stripes, I would make a gypsy quilt.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't have a seasonal wardrobe either! I just bundle up more in fall and winter and less is best in spring and summer! Love the way you used some of your quilters jelly roll and spiffed up your waste basket, love it! I am a quilter, and my younger sister is also. She made a beautiful gypsy quilt several years ago, I started one a few years back and its sits unfinished in my UFO box (unfinished objects),..... one of these days!!Weather is turning colder but sunny the last 2 days, rain comes again tomorrow. We made apple cider yesterday from our orchard apples, had 5 varieties so we just mixed them all, turned out delicious, made gallons so we can share with family and friends. We freeze it in half gallon plastic jugs and it tastes so fresh when thawed. I don't like canning it, because it seems to taste more like apple juice than apple cider. Your raspberries look wonderful, they only grow through July and August here on our property, and this past year not a good crop. Your town hall is incredible!! Stay safe and well

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made with smile with saying that if you did the cost per wear, that dress would probably owe you money. I have dresses and items like that. When one buys second hand and shops one's closet, that is often the case. That is a gorgeous dress. I love how you wear your beautiful cotton dresses in Winter. With the help of layering, we can wear whatever we want in Winter. Have a lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vix, enjoyed a peek at Walsall town centre , your town hall is impressive as is the hippo. As your Jon packs away his shorts , my John is starting to wear his again. Great charity finds as ever . Easy to see why you love that beautiful Aldini dress , its simply a gem.
    My sweet peas are just about to flower too, small world. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Trow had a Rough Spoons and a Posh Spoons too - fights would break out in the Posh one but they were usually between pensioners, whereas a video of a 100-person bar brawl at the rough one went viral. (Previously it had made the news when a customer dining there complained that a rat ran up his leg and nicked one of his chips.) Like you, we're down to just the one now, but it's the rough one that survived.

    Town centre hippo seems a great idea. Why? Why not?!

    I think those fabric strips might be a 'jelly roll', precut for quilters. That was a grea way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trow had a Rough Spoons and a Posh Spoons too - fights would break out in the Posh one but they were usually between pensioners, whereas a video of a 100-person bar brawl at the rough one went viral. (Previously it had made the news when a customer dining there complained that a rat ran up his leg and nicked one of his chips.) Like you, we're down to just the one now, but it's the rough one that survived.

    Town centre hippo seems a great idea. Why? Why not?!

    I think those fabric strips might be a 'jelly roll', precut for quilters. That was a grea way to use them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix