Wednesday 18 August 2021

On Dahlias Like These

 

Like all Sunday mornings lately, we drove down to the clearance charity shop with a bag of donations, had a 45-minute rummage, and returned with our newly-emptied bag full again.

Finds included a 1970s dagger collar Debenhams tunic; a 1960s suede fronted St Michael cardi; a vintage wool shawl; some 1970s C&A braces; a linen boating blazer by Skopes; two stripey Fred Perry tee-shirts; a Double Two floral shirt; a Dr Martens tee shirt from their 2016 limited edition museum collection featuring the Rennaisance painting, The Triumph of Camillus by Di Antonio and a few books (naturally!)


The paint on our metal garden bench was looking a bit faded & tatty and, as luck would have it, a search of their website before heading into town revealed that Wilko had a near-identical colour in their range of exterior metal paint "Summer Rain" and, even better, it was on sale. 


I was so keen to get cracking before the forecasted rain arrived that I changed into my workwear before posing for a photo in my shopping finery. As you can see I was supervised throughout.


The weather played nice and I was able to get all the new stock laundered and line-dried and the bench finished before the rain started.

The plants we bought from Pipers were thriving after Saturday's rain.


And the crops were doing well. I harvested more patty pans, courgettes and strawberries before the slugs got them.


Tea was a feta & spinach parcel with salad, olives and stuffed vine leaves. Later, we started on the second series of The Man in the High Castle.


On Monday, after my Wii Fit session, I swept the rugs in the lounge before wrapping my eBay sales parcels. After breakfast, Jon whizzed them around the post office before doing the supermarket shop and popping round to Tony's.

In just over a fortnight's time, we'll be trading at End of the Road, our first festival in almost two years. The video above is how our stall looked the last time we set up shop. We've got a list as long as your arm to work through so I started on the stock mending & ironing mountain but was interrupted by a surprise visit from my brother. We sat and chatted for a while and he left me with a dress of his girlfriend's which needed repairing. When Jon got back we had lunch and whilst he rummaged in the shed for the trade tent I continued with the mending. 



I was wearing another skirt but it's just too big around the waist so when I spotted a couple of holes in this 1970s satin acetate maxi I decided to do a swap, donate my vintage Indian block printed midi to the stockroom and keep this maxi instead, meaning one less repair. Luckily the recycled sari top and clogs I was already wearing matched.

Tea was a vegeburger and a bottle of Singha beer from Jon's birthday stash. We watched more Man in the High Castle and I finished the wonderful Virgin Earth.

On Tuesday after wrapping my eBay sales and doing my Wii Fit workout, I wandered around the garden and marvelled at my newly blooming sunflower, she's got so many heads I've named her Hydra. Both lads were booked into the vets for their boosters and we wrangled them into their boxes, drove over to the surgery and were back within 40 minutes.

It was distinctly chilly so I decided it was time to give my wool Liberty print Anna Belinda pinafore dress, found in a charity shop a couple of months ago, its first outing. I'm quite high-waisted and the waistline was slightly too low and was annoying me when we were out so, when we got home, I stripped off, unpicked the shoulder seams and shortened them by an inch so the bodice sat in the right place.

(More about Anna Belinda HERE)


After lunch, we drove over to B&Q as we needed some plyboard for a crucial part of the festival shop and were horrified to discover that it had doubled in price since we'd last bought any. To ease the pain, the gardening department had just marked down all the potted dahlias to £1 so I wrestled the grannies to get a few.


The postman had been while we were out and this gorgeous top was waiting for me, something my lovely pals Olds Cool Traders had spotted on their travels and thought of me. Shame it's too chilly to wear it at the moment - come back, sunshine!


Wednesday is brown bin (garden waste) collection day so, after we'd potted up the dahlias, we raked the gravel and filled the bin with the debris from the lime tree then sat outside with a posh coffee until a sharp shower had us scuttling back indoors.




I made the Greek-style kolokithokefedes again for tea while Jon roasted the patty pan with harissa paste, peppers and onions. Our culinary masterpieces were accompanied by the rest of the Plaka Gigantes from Jon's birthday hamper as well as a couple of bottles of Mythos (it would have been rude not to). 

We watched another three back-to-back episodes of The Man in the High Castle (it's that good) and later I started on my next book, a gripping Scandi-Noir.


We've been charity shopping this morning and found so much that I might have to dedicate an entire blog post to our finds. Here's a sneak preview of a divine dress of dreams which is most definitely a keeper!


See you soon!

37 comments:

  1. Can’t wait to browse through this properly. It is 2am. I am in a bit of a panic. New Zealand went into total lockdown with only half an hours notice. You have no idea what it is like to hear a siren on your phone when you are asleep. We had one man bring in the dangerous Covid from NSW and it is spreading so fast already. I was so lucky to have a load of fresh veggies delivered . My kind career friend got our pattypans seed today . So exciting/ I paid for the seeds and she will grow in her glass house and we will share the harvest and she will roast some for my dinner. Am so excited. Hope I live long enough to benefit the results. Got a glimpse of your book Missing. Would love to read read that. Just got a book on William Morris. Please cross your fingers for us. We could be in for a rocky ride. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about the NZ lockdown on the BBC news yesterday morning and wondered how it had retruned to your shores with the borders being closed.Thank goodness you'd just had some fresh veggies delivered. It won't be long before you're dining on buttery and delicious patty pan.
      I bet your William Morris book is a feast for the eyes.
      Stay safe and well, dear Sally! xxx

      Delete
  2. Nice long post :) garden is looking incredible. Looks like you have crammed a lot in to the last few days. Good luck with the prep for your festival pitch. The Wyse dress looks interesting, label seems familiar, can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! The festival pitch work is all consuming but we've got a cheeky morning of charity shopping planned for today and will get stuck in again later.
      Don't look at the Wyse website, their clothes are so lovely! xxx

      Delete
  3. You get such a great class of charity finds down your way! I love the pattern on the Wyse dress and as ever, you look divine in everything else! Belated birthday greetings to the Divine Lord Jon too! Good luck with your festival gig. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand where these high-end labels come from, we don't even have a Marks and Spencer for miles!
      Thans for the birthday greetings, he's still celebrating! x

      Delete
  4. Can you send me some of your get-up-and-go? I bought paint for our peeling garden chair last Summer, and still haven't got around to it. But then again, you've got quite a task-master in Frank :-)
    I'm sure it must be exciting - not to mention a bit scary - trading again after almost two years! Good luck with your preparations!
    Your Liberty print pinafore dress is a stunner, and so does the Anokhi top those lovely people from Olds Cool Trader got you. And I can't wait to see that dress, and everything else you found at the chazza! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send Frank over, he'll sit and stare at you until you've got that garden chair painted!
      I didn't expect to be wearing a wool dress in August, the joys of the Great British Summer! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oooh can't wait to find out more about the very pretty Wyse dress! That Dr Martens tee looks interesting - I have the Dr. Martens Pascal Di Paolo boots which is the collection that followed Di Antonio. They also did a William Blake and a Turner print which I am forever searching for - mind you, the going rate of c.£200.00 a pair is a bit too rich for me lol.

    How awesome to be trading again, shortly - I hope it goes well for you and you have a great time.

    DAHLIAS FOREVER! Big love to Maryland - and sallyhicks - massive amounts of positive vibes - that speedy lockdown sounds so scarey. Be safe and stay strong xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognised that Wyse label from some of the targetted Facebook ads I get (gorgeous, British-made high end stuff - who on earth do they think I am?!)
      I remember lusting over those William Blake Docs. I was hoping the person who donated the teeshirt would have sent the matching boots but no such luck! I've not seen them for less than £200 either but one must keep looking.
      Dahlias rock! xxx

      Delete
  6. love your cat supervisor🐈. You look stylish even while painting your chair. Great outfits all of them. Love the flared sleeves. So great you had luck with charity shopping.
    Your garden looks wonderful.
    Missing sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! These cats keep me on my toes! x

      Delete
  7. Evening dear Vix, wow I can't wait to see more of that dress and a whole post on chazza finds hmm sounds great. The garden is colourful and divine as ever. Wow a surprise visit from your brother, we half expected the bro-in-law and his famiy to show up as we knew he was down this way but never showed oh well I would like to send love to Sallyhicks and thinking of all my Antipodean family & friends. Wow I bet you are excited for the upcoming festival - good luck with it you will be sorely missed if things take off and you stop blogging that's for sure! love your outdoor area and well as usual could go on and on but just a big fat hug and cheers instead Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shaz! Thank you so much! My brother popped round again yesterday, that's twice this year! How odd that the bro-in-law and family didn't visit, the last 18 months seems to have a made a lot of people very antisocial. Like you, I get so excited about catching up with friends.
      Covid doesn't seem to be going away any time soon, does it? Masks, hand santisers and keeping a sfae distance are still very much part of our lives. Take care. xxx

      Delete
  8. I love the repaint of your bench. I keep my eyes out for metal garden stuff I can salvage. My 14 year old chairs are going strong but could use a top off if paint. I'm excited to read about your first festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how a quick lick of paint can transform the most tired looking bit of garden furniture. The neighbours are giving away their old set and I can't wait to get the sandpaper, teak oil and metal paint out once the festival is over! xxx

      Delete
  9. Lol at Frank, supervising the paint job. I loved the little video of the Kinky Melon boutique - OMG, it's huge! And you even have a fitting room! So impressive, but a fortnight will fly by, and so excited for you to be going to a festival for the first time in 2 years, Vix!

    Love your handiwork on the pinafore, and that tank-style top is lovely. Your dahlias are gorgeous - my favourite showy flowers. Heh, I laughed at Hydra the sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank is such a bossy boots. He loves lounging on the chaise and sits behind me staring at me when I'm on the Wii Fit until I've finished so he can have a post-breakfast snooze - so much pressure!
      I'd forgotten just how big our shop is. We used to have a curtian to section off the changing room but after a drunk lady fell over and rolled out of the changing room into the middle of the shop her bra and pants we decided we needed something a bit more sturdy! xxx

      Delete
  10. how exiting - kinky melon goes to a festival again!!
    i guess you will be very busy the next 2 weeks we preparations for the event..... thankfully the chazza gods do love you and you have tons of georgeous clothes to sell.
    well done painting the bench - and the rest of the garden looks absolutely beautiful with all those pretty flowers. and provides yummy veggies to eat from.....
    well done too on the fabulous pinafore dress! ill fitting garments drive me mad too and i´m known for sewing them into perfection minutes before an outing :-D
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very exciting, I can't believe that this time next week we'll be on the road again!
      I can't bear badly-fitting garments, the waist felt so uncomfortable until I'd taken the straps up, now I could live in it! xxx

      Delete
  11. Awesome article guys, please visit my blog too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is just incredible! I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Annabelinda history-it's so interesting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved the late Howard Marks, I went to see him in audience a few times and loved his tales of adventure. xxx

      Delete
  14. The garden is looking so colourful and inviting. Loved your plant buys and I'm very impressed by your produce. What does Patty Pan taste like; is it like a squash?

    All the outfits were wonderful. Loved the liberty print pinafore but also the skirt and top. You look as if you've been to Greece already with that tan!

    Great finds - that wool shawl is my favourite and I look forward to seeing your finds in the next post.

    I've read the Karin Altvegen book and Sarah Moss is a brilliant writer; I haven't read the one you found but I've enjoyed all her other books.

    I'm so excited for you trading at a festival soon - more normality!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! Patty Pans are similar to squash but a lot firmer, not as watery and with a really buttery flavour. You can grow them in a potato bag or a coffee sack so you could squeeze a plant in next year.
      The tan seems to be fading rapidly - I thought this week was going to be warmer!
      That sarah Moss book sounds really interesting, I love reading about people who relocate to another country. xxx

      Delete
  15. Lot of time our thrift stores will have bag sells, usual they charge 5 to 10 a bags. The local church rummage sells is usual donation around here. Your fresh veggies look amazing.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of our charity shops occasionally do that although there;'s rarely more than a couple of pieces that take my fancy! xxx

      Delete
  16. Your stall reminds me of our store in Sendai it’s little and compact and I love going to check they are ok. I love how organised you are. I love how we have students from bunka fashion college working for us and they have so many ideas and they are always altering things. Putting darts into dickies so they fit girls and altering men’s shirts so they also fit their dainty frames.
    I hope the festival goes really well for you. I know you are hankering to go and get out and meet festival folk again.
    Mum has got me a box of clothes again . And a pair of rain boots that look like Docs I cannot wait to see them as they are in pastile blue. Dad had his opp yesterday bless him. They are sending him home as he is fit and active. And there is a caravan sitting on the drive so he is staying in that! Right back to work take care and keep safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear that those students still have the inventiveness and creativity we used to have as teens in the 1980s, altering, dyeing and customising secondhand clothes rather than brainlessly buying sacks of crap from Primarni!
      I snaffled some of those fake Doc rainboots a few years ago, they were yellow and so comfy!
      That's brilliant that your dad's back at home and living in the caravan, I bet the neighbours think he's had a bust up with your mum! xxx

      Delete
  17. I'm looking forward to seeing your latest charity shop haul - I'm thrifting vicariously through you! I'm excited that you will be trading at a festival, as long as everyone is masked and vaxxed.

    I am echoing an earlier commented who wants to know what a patty pan is - is it some sort of squash? I've never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about the return of festivals!
      Patty pan are a miniature squash, they're a lot firmer and less watery with a buttery taste. Jon can be very fussy with veg but he absolutely loves them, they roast really well! You never see them in chops in the UK but they're common in the Med. xxx

      Delete
  18. So lovely to have a look at your garden, your latest purchases and your fabulous stall at the festivals (wow, I always admire the way your stall looks totally amazing, so much work and so much talent!)
    Loving your acetate skirt with the orange top, beautiful colours and magnificent sleeves!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! I'm excited at how the shop's coming together now and can't wait to be back in a field with a can of gin and tonic selling our vintage gear to happy people! xxx

      Delete
  19. SOOOOO much nasturtium envy! I don't know why they don't seem to go so well for me! I'm really sad about it! I wonder how the ones at school are getting on this Summer? Hope they are doing well so I can at least think I've done well on one lot!
    Well done on adjusting that dress to make it work better for you!
    That was a good skirt swap! That one is cool!x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix