Sunday 15 August 2021

Everybody Loves The Sunshine



 On Thursday morning I did a load of washing and pegged it out on the line before doing my Wii Fit workout. By the time I'd tended to the houseplants in the lounge, Jon was up so we had breakfast and sat outside in the sunshine with our mugs of coffee joined by the lads. 


We've had a lovely week here in the West Midlands (aka the centre of the universe). It's been warm and sunny with just a couple of cheeky showers on Monday. Apparently, it had chucked it down overnight but I never heard a thing, thanks to Wednesday night's rum. Dressed in an Anokhi maxi dress (bought in Mumbai in February 2020) and my vintage Dior sunglasses, we drove to one of our favourite Black Country towns for a spot of charity shopping. My hair was in dire need of a wash hence the bun.

What did we find? A rather beautifully cut, 1970s pure new wool blazer, made in Belgium by Mayerline of Brussels (I wonder if Ann is familiar with the label?); a mod button-down shirt by alternative clothing label, Merc of London; two Scandi Noir novels; a cotton shirt for Jon; a Del Monte red leather rucksack (nothing to do with tinned fruit), handcrafted in Italy and a 1980s C&A shirt


A Liberty oilcloth shopper; a 1960s Neatawear shirred cotton blouse; a vintage bud vase and a pair of Kilim cushions.


I'd never heard of Neatawear before I found that blouse but after a bit of internet research, I discovered that it was a British fashion chain that, at its peak in the mid-1960s, had 35 branches throughout the UK, including one in Corporation Street in Birmingham which is where I imagine the blouse was originally purchased. Neatawear went bust in 1966 and the couple behind it, Mr & Mrs Bernstein, lost everything. A few years later they started again, founding the upmarket boutique Brown's in London's posh St Moulton Street and introduced such legendary designers as Comme des Garcons, Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein to the UK.


After our noodles, we spent the afternoon in the garden. I fed and watered the crops, removed some of the spent nasturtiums from the windowboxes and pots and did a bit of dead-heading whilst Jon changed the wheels on Gilbert. Doesn't he look smart?


Tea was a vegan sausage roll with salad (including our home-grown lettuce) and the evening was spent in front of the TV watching another episode of The Man in the High Castle followed by the first in the new series of BBC1's Ambulance.


On Friday, I wrapped my eBay sales, did the week's final Wii Fit workout, and washed my hair before joining Jon for breakfast. We'd had a problem with accessing our online banking and spent a tedious 55 minutes on the phone sorting it out. 


With nerves well and truly frazzled, the post arrived just in time. A parcel of joy! I'd spotted this 1960s Ayesha Davar embroidered cheesecloth maxi dress for sale by one of the UK charity shops that sell on eBay. I sent them an offer and was delighted when it was accepted. 


Although tempted to change into my new maxi, I decided to stick with the tomato dress I was already wearing, teamed with my £1 Art Nouveau belt, some ridiculous sunglasses and eBayed Lotta silver clogs along with a shedload of tribal jewellery.



We drove over to Liz and Al's and took Liz to Piper's, a fabulous family-run garden centre over the border in Staffordshire and discovered a gorgeous chunk of a cat snuggled amongst the pots. He loved being fussed and I wish we could have smuggled him out with the plants.



Back at Al & Liz's, we sat outside in the sunshine drinking coffee and chatting. Jon filled the van with rubble from Al's rubbish pile before we drove back home for lunch. Afterwards, he offloaded the rubble and set off on the post office and supermarket run leaving me to plant the morning's purchases before I spent the rest of the day in my bikini, reading on the lawn. 


My Piper's purchases - Heucherella "Sweet Tea", Tradescantia "Blue 'n' Gold", Persecaria "Red Dragon", Salvia "Deep Purple" and Juncus "Spiralis".


After watering my freshly planted stuff I harvested some crops for tea (patty pan, courgettes, onions and rosemary) which Jon transformed into roasted vegetables with halloumi.


Later, accompanied by some rum and cola, we watched Gardeners' World and the new history series, The Boleyns, A Scandalous Family on BBC2 featuring Lord Jon's outrageously behaved ancestors!


On Saturday Jon was forced to get up early up and see to the lads who were staring at him so intently he couldn't stand it any longer. He brought mugs of tea back to bed and we lay and read for half an hour. After he went downstairs to start the breakfast, I stripped and changed the bed, loaded the washing machine and pegged the laundry out on the line. Then I grabbed the secateurs and did some radical pruning as our poor dahlias were being swamped.


The MyHermes driver arrived with another parcel. I know, after weeks of nothing taking my fancy, I've found three things in a week! The seller bought this incredible Anokhi two-piece back in 1975 and told me that although it hadn't fit her in years her husband still talks about how fabulous she looked in it. It's decorated with Bandhani, a method of tie-dye used in the Kutch region of Gujarat (we visited a workshop HERE)


To further add to my excitement, my lovely friend Tricia sent a parcel of goodies my way. A silk maxi skirt, an Indian cotton tunic embellished with sequins, a Laura Ashley belt and - what are the chances? - a Indian bandhani scarf with a bell trim!


Lord Jon's birthday celebrations continued. Adrian and Liz had invited the gang over for an Indian feast in their garden. Typically, despite it being dry all week, the heavens decided to open as soon as we left the house to walk round to theirs but after a couple of drinks indoors the rain stopped and we were able to spend the rest of the afternoon outside, drinking and dining on Adrian's delicious food.


Paneer and mushroom for me, chicken for the rest of the gang, served with nan bread and masala chips...yum!


Back at home, I posed for a quick photo before the light vanished altogether. I'm wearing my vintage Indian silk kaftan with a Rabari Kediya my friend Betty alerted me to on eBay. We cracked open the rum and spent the rest of the evening watching more of The Man in the High Castle.


I can't believe Sunday has rolled around so quickly. See you soon!

52 comments:

  1. I absolutely love all the Anokhi pieces in this post! I'll be looking out for them on my charity shop runs in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrina! Keep your eyes peeled for Anokhi, they are fabulously made and get better with age! xxx

      Delete
  2. What fabulous colours in your garden Vix. I'm with you on the heucheras. We have 5 or 6 different ones now. The foliage is wonderful. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you posting about heucheras, they really are lovely. I was spoilt for choice in the garden centre! xxx

      Delete
  3. is that what it was called! rabari kediya lol, doesn't it look amazing with my favourite dress :) So you have had a full on weekend - the chazza shopping was productive and I love your latest Anokhi find - have seen that print technique before but not with their label - what a delightful litte outfit and then your friend sends a scarf to match - crazy! today I ordered a rug online then promptly cancelled it when I realised I have one pretty much same in the garage! should spend more time exploring my garage methinks. I am fond of tradescantia, yours is pretty - I have a gorgeous pink one that is currently flowering. I like your friends Adrian/Liz outdoor area - it looks so much fun - I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how that kediya went with a kaftan, it wasn't cold enough for a jacket but it needed a little something on top although by the time we'd walked the two miles to Liz & Al's I was toasty warm!
      Thank goodness you remembered that rug you already had, extra money for a treat on your travels! xxx

      Delete
  4. wonderful new clothes - love the craftmanship that is manifested in those indian garments!
    and you look a vision in the blue patterned outfit!!
    the party at liz&al looks gorgeous and the food sounds tasty..... is´t it fab to be able to meet our friends again??!
    the cat at the nursery must be a SHE because only female felines get the tri-coloured fur. like lisbeth - who is big too, last time even the vet thought she´s a tom because of her size & muscles :-D
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could look at that embroidery and those delicate covered buttons for ages!
      It's been wonderful to meet up with friends, again - in fact doing anything normal is an absolute joy, thank goodness for vaccinations!
      I didn't realise those marklings were exclusively female - Lisbeth and the garden centre cat are big girls! xxx

      Delete
  5. We've had a lovely week too, weather wise, although by the time the weekend rolled along clouds had rolled in, and it turned quite muggy and humid. Still, I guess we can't complain as unstable weather will soon be our lot again.
    You're yet again a sight for sore eyes in your Anokhi maxi, tomato dress and vintage Indian silk kaftan. And oh my, haven't you been charity shopping and eBaying like a pro! Well, you ARE a pro, of course.
    How cute is the garden centre kitty, and it must have been wonderful meeting up with your friends for an Indian feast! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd kill for a bit of humid, my cardi seems to be welded on to my shoulders at the moment! xxx

      Delete
  6. Evening there Vix, glad you got a pic in of your silk kaftan stunning. I am tempted to go to my favourite family run nursery now seeing your haul. You looked fab in the tomatoe dress styled that way. Hey lots of gems at the chazzas I see. Helped the old Aunty throw a "tea party". Showed the "mature" lot round the garden and it made me giggle they were pointing out the more er neglected bits not all the pretty bits who cares hubsters Aunt enjoyed herself and that is what counts. Glad Lord Jon still celebrating - as it should be. (hubsters mushrooms and rum balls are ordered ha ha ) and a really old Aussie movie off ebay (yeah spoil him hey) but he wants it. Anyway such a great post as always will leave with a big cheers Vix. Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shaz! I had to smile at your guests pointing out the problem areas in your garden rather than the bits you'd transformed - I think we all know people like that, it really is a case of grinning and bearing it!
      I hope your husband has/had a fantastic birthday, you've done him proud with quirky gifts! xxx

      Delete
  7. Gilbert is looking good! My cat has perfected (or is that purrfected) 'the Stare' which has us scuttling off to do exactly what she wants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cat has the best distainful face ever! xxx

      Delete
  8. I am always in awe of your tomato embroidered dress, Vix! Plus I'm always interested to see what you/Jon make with your home grown vegetables. Always looks delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hollyhock is a flower I like. Your garden items look amazing, we didn't grow patty pans.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we can grow some hollyhocks next summer! x

      Delete
  10. Gilbert does look smart and refreshed.
    You look fabulous in your Anokhi maxis. The embroidered tomato dress is fabulous. I always love when you wear it.
    Always interesting to read about history of different fashion brands. I didn't know about that British brand that was active in the sixties. When one has contact with vintage clothes, one always learns interesting things. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention how much I loved that silk dress.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Ivana! Gilbert is loving his new tyres, he bounces now! xxx

      Delete
  11. Jon is giving me a run for my money in stretching out his birthday. I’ve done a full week so far, only missing Thursday to the dentist and gather steam for Friday’s outing. It’s lovely to see you with friends again.
    Gilbert is outshining the colours of the garden, he’s looking so bright. Like my Frida we are unlikely to lose them in a car park.
    Did you watch Deceit on channel 4 on Friday. It’s the 1992 Rachel Nickell real life story of how they honeytrapped the killer. It was a hard one to watch but I’ll see the series through.
    Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've done really wll to stratch your birthday celebrations so far. I think a visit to the dentist would be a birthday treat for me, ours is still emergency only, I think it might be years before I can get a check-up!
      I hadn't seen Deceit, I shall have to investigate. Channel 4 do some excellent true crime dramas. x

      Delete
  12. Hi Vix, as always love your blogs. Just wanted to tell you my home help who is also a close friend now has bought the seeds for pattypans. They are in the post. Yellow, white and green. They had no orange. I paid for the seeds and she will start them in her glass house then grow them and we will share them if all goes well and she will roast some for me. I am so excited. I showed her your pics. I think anticipation is the best bit. I get very depressed still since my husband died but I am blessed with you and those who enjoy my interests. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sally! I don't think you can get orange patty pans, this variety "Pattison" are either yellow, white or green. They were really easy to grow and it's lovey that you've got such a kind carere who will grow them for you. They're really tasty - Jon can be fussy when it comes to veg but he can't get enough of them!
      I agree about the anticipation, having something to look forward to, no matter how insignificant, is a reason to get out of bed in the morning! xxx

      Delete
  13. I think if we took a vote, you would win the prize for the largest, and most beautiful maxi dress collection on the internet. I love all of the pieces you are wearing in this post. I would have wanted to take that lovely cat home with me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelley! I love a chunky cat! xxx

      Delete
  14. Gilbert does look smart!

    What wonderful things you've been finding and wearing. I loved all your outfits and how amazing that the scarf will match the Bandhani two piece - what a lovely bit of serendipity that was! I loved the last outfit too - such a beautiful shade of blue.

    I've watched 'The Boleyns'. I was very interested as Hilary Mantel's books portrayed them so well and this series was very good. What characteristics of theirs - if any - does Jon have? Joke...

    You are living well off your garden produce; my peppers are a teeny bit bigger now - I know how Jon feels!

    How lovely to get together with friends again - long may it continue.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! I hope it won't be too long before I can wear that Anokhi two-piece, the colours are so Greek!
      The Boleyn series was really interesting, I'm endlessly fascinated by the machinations and schemings of the Tudor nobility, they had no qualms about marrying their daughters and neices off to decrepit old men just to increase their influence. I'm watching Jon like a hawk...
      xxx

      Delete
  15. That Neatawear blouse is a great colour and such a classic style - you'd never know it was that old! I love the research behind these labels, don't you, Vix? I love seeing all the interesting things you find on your treasure hunts, and surely that Art Nouveau belt is one of the best. And you've gone and paired it with my favourite tomato dress, causing me to make "grabby hands" at the screen, darn you!

    That chunky cat is so adorable. I love shop-cats. You don't see them often here, but there was one that lived in the window of a flag/rigging/awning company a few years back. Gilbert looks immaculate! I admire all the work that goes into maintaining a vintage VW like that (I grew up with a white VW bus (related to the combis).

    Happy Monday, Vix! Big hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that Neatawear blouse was modern when I first spotted that "on-trend" shirring, I was amazed when I spotted that vintage label and saw that there were no machine washing instructions - a sure sign comething was made pre-1970.
      I still pinch myself when I look at that belt, I'd been searching for something like that all my life!
      We don't see many shop cats here either although there's always loads in India, draped across the counter and ready to swipe you if you make a false move.
      VW ownership is a full-time job, there's always something that needs restoring! xxx

      Delete
  16. Love that tomato dress, and the new items as well.
    Glad you got your banking sorted out. It is so convenient having all the online things-until it isn't. I can't remember the last time I was in a physical bank branch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That tomato dress is the gift that keeps on giving!
      Online stuff is absolutely brilliant until they decide to upgrade their security and neither of us can remember the passwords we created 15 years ago. The lady on the helpline had the patience of a saint! xxx

      Delete
  17. What a lovely distraction you are from the state of the world. I had a vegan sausage roll the other day and it was delish. I bought a premade box of puff pastry to make my own with a glut of courgettes I have, for the filling. Never tasted patty pan. Does it taste the same as the 'ordinary' courgette? Happy week to you and yours.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness me, we need something to distract us, don't we?
      I like the sound of your vegan sausage roll. Patty pans are firmer and drier than courgettes with a buttery taste. We used to serve them back in my corporate hospitality days as they used to impress the bigwigs at dinner. xxx

      Delete
  18. woww, so many fabulous dresses!, from the always amazing tomatoes dress to these lovely Anokhi dresses you rock!. I love particularly the Bandhani tie-dye pieces you've acquired, they're really gorgeous (and I'm a huge fan of tie-dye!), looking forward to see them 'in action'.
    Also lovely to see some vegetables from your garden transformed in a Delicious food!, roasted veggies are so tasty!
    And thanks for the groovy song too!, doing a little dance here!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the thought of you dancing away to Roy Ayres. It's one of tracks we play when we're getting ready to open the shop on a hot sunny day at a festival, so uplisting and happy after one too many beers the night before! xxx

      Delete
  19. Ohhhhh such treasures, Vix! We've had a little HOLIDAY. A few nights away in our favourite city. We've even ventured onto PUBLIC TRANSPORT. I need a little lie-down now lol.

    That Anokhi two-piece is a triumph and what a lovely story (and happy ending for it to come home to you). I love Bandhani too - when it is done so skillfully it is marvelously subtle - your Anokhi reminds me of cyanotype.

    I'm fighting the temptation to go back to an all-black wardrobe. I chazzed an amazing, architectural dress while we were away - very severe (best bargain I've had in years lol) - in black; I love how the colour looks on me. I need to go sit in front of my clothes rail for a bit and get an ornate textile fix lol.

    Take care all - big love to Maryland xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What...let me sit down...a holiday!!! Now that is exciting! Isn't it wonderful to do normal things? Going to the pub the other day felt so natural I almost forgot about the last 18 months!
      I love bandhani, too (and cyanotype after seeing a feature on it on the Antiques Road Trip!)
      That dress you scored sounds amazing. I love having something like that as a palate cleanser, it makes your usual clothes feel even more exciting when you go back to them. xxx

      Delete
  20. Hello Vix, loved the music track and Persicaria 'Red Dragon' ! Gilbert is looking very smart indeed. Adrian and Liz's curry den is ace. Well done to Betty for spotting that silk kimono , it is perfect on you. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist the Red Dragon, I loved its leaves! xxx

      Delete
  21. You look like you could be abroad sat in Liz and Al's garden, and the food looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks rather exotic, doesn't it? xxx

      Delete
  22. Great Anokhi bargains. I found a blue Anoki for East blouse in my local charity shop.
    Interesting about Browns and how they built their success after a big fail.
    Inspiring. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Browns story is an inspiration, isn't it?
      Good score on the Anokhi for East blouse, their stuff gets better and better with age. xxx

      Delete
  23. How gorgeous is that Anokhi maxi! Gosh, I missed your India posts this year. They come at just right time of year to cheer me up. Maybe things will be easier by January next year.
    You've been getting some cracking bargains on Ebay too. Can't wait to see the Ayesha Davar on.
    I've been catching up, and absolutely love that picture of the lads sheltering underneath Gilbert on your previous post.
    Adrian and Liz's garden is lovely. How typical the rain arriving just as you're all outside though. Still, as I always say to my lad when he comes round with his lass for a barbie and it ALWAYS rains, we're British, and we just have to get on with it! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I've been re-reading my India posts, too! Things are looking up and I'm sure it won't be too long before we're bak, although January might feel a little too soon.
      The lads looked so pitiful underneath Gilbert, you have to laugh at them.
      Isn't it typical that after a more or less dry week the heavens opened the minute we left the house on saturday. You're right though, if we let the weather stop us doing stuff we'd never go anywhere! xxx

      Delete
  24. The photo of Lord Jon and gang looks such a happy scene Vix-and thank you for the music-I haven't heard that for years-I think I'm 17 again up town at the disco x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flis! I love that tune, it always makes me feel happy! x

      Delete
  25. I'd never heard of Neatawear either - funny how they had so many shops and just disappeared.

    You've found some lovely pieces there - can't wait to see how you look in the two-piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix