Tuesday 8 June 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 7th & 8th June, 2021

 On Monday morning after my Wii Fit session and I'd wrapped the weekend eBay sales, I gave the houseplants a misting before joining Jon for breakfast. One of the Severn Trent chaps called round to let us know that we needed to boil the tap water before drinking it for the next couple of days. It really is like being at a festival (or in India)! 

Jon did the post office run, a supermarket shop and popped round to Tony's, leaving me to potter around the garden before stripping off to my bikini and prostrating myself on the lawn. When Jon got back we had some noodles, I put some clothes on and then drove up to the local garden centre as they'd posted on Facebook that they'd had some bedding plants delivered and I wanted to get my patio pots filled.


Hooray for hot weather and being able to wear my strappy dresses again! This 1970s Indian cotton sundress was bought as a wounded bird (aka, a project) from eBay last summer. My £3 chazza-shopped Clarks' Originals got their first outing and jolly comfy they were, too.

After a joyous hour investigating everything they had, I spent the rest of the afternoon potting up and watering the garden. Jon brought me out an ice-cold bottle of Corona with a wedge of lime as, funnily enough, it's been on special offer since last year. It's what we always drink at the airport bar when we're off on our travels and yes, I am one of those disgraceful people who drink beer no matter what time of the day it is, airports are like festivals, time is meaningless!

Tea was roasted veggies with Halloumi. Later we watched a bit more of Eastern European cop drama The Pleasure Principle and the Antiques Road Trip from earlier in the day and I was in bed by 10am as I'd been awake since 4.30am.

On Tuesday morning the Wii Fit congratulated me on our 4,200th session. As it looked like being another glorious day I did a load of washing and pegged it out on the line. After breakfast, we drove over to our favourite Black Country town for a mooch around the charity shops.


Another charity shop expedition and another excuse to wear one of my eBayed Dilli Grey dresses, the Bianca. It was the first outing for this Rani Pink one and it got a lot of love from the good folk in the charity shops.

We didn't do too badly and found some decent stuff to top up the Kinky rails.


A 1990s Sisley lawn cotton dress; a 1970s tailcoat; a vintage bespoke cashmere & wool overcoat with a velvet collar; a 1970s cheesecloth sundress; a 1980s leopard print coat; a 1980s Indian cotton midi dress; a 1980s pure new wool overcoat with a velvet collar; a peacock print silk kimono; 1970s sheepskin mittens; a 1980s C&A leisure shirt; a vintage 1960s basket and a Moss Bros linen blazer. 

I nearly had heart failure when I spotted this.....only vintage wool and velvet-trimmed Annabelinda pinafore dress for three-flipping-quid!


Based in Oxford, the Annabelinda boutique traded until 2012 but its heyday was the 1970s where it became famous for its quality hand-finished garments often made from Liberty fabrics and with designs inspired by a pre-industrial, rural England. Annabelinda has featured in several exhibitions showcasing British Boutique fashion including Liberty in Fashion (2015 - 2016) at London's Fashion Textile Museum.

Liberty in Fashion (2015 - 2016) SOURCE

Their dresses were popular with Oxford undergraduates, one notable customer was Benazir Bhutto, the future Prime Minister of Pakistan, who studied at the university from 1973. Other famous fans included Dame Judi Dench. The label expanded beyond Oxford with outlets at Liberty & Harrods. Annabelinda was one of three English labels selected to create a design to commemorate Liberty's 100th Anniversary in 1975.

Annabelinda's Boutique

Annabelinda postcard

The boutique hit the national headlines in 1981 when the late, great Howard Marks, former Oxford undergraduate and international cannabis smuggler, claimed in his autobiography that he had planned to use Annabelinda as a front for his work with MI6. He also claimed to have funded the move from small premises on Park End Street to 6 Gloucester Street to provide a respectable front for the wealth gained from his drug dealing. I was lucky enough to attend several audiences with Howard Marks over the years, he was a fascinating character and Mr Nice is well worth a read if you haven't already (HERE). 


Needless to say, my dress is a keeper!



After our lunchtime noodles, we spent the rest of the day in the garden. Jon did some pruning and I pottered before adjourning to the lawn with my latest book.


When the sun had gone behind the trees we planted geraniums, Russian tarragon, chives, nasturtiums and grasses I'd dug up from elsewhere in the garden along with the Acer we'd bought the other week and some trays of dianthus from our visit to the garden centre on Monday.


We'd got a couple of metal panels going spare so Jon hammered them along the edge of the lawn which should keep the kids and dogs off. 






We took it in shifts to water the garden, fortified by ice-cold Coronas (again).



Tea was salad, feta parcels and a savoury tartlet. The plan for tonight is to watch the rest of Time, Sunday night's episode was riveting.

See you soon!

48 comments:

  1. Hooray for the warm weather indeed! You look stunning in your strappy dresses. I cannot decide which one I like most. I cannot decide which one I like better: the blue or the purple one. They both look amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! I find it hard to pick a favourite, too! xxx

      Delete
  2. I am loving your strappy dresses! They look fabulous and you look very cool and chic. I have never heard of Annabelinda but what a score! I can see why it's your favourite black country town with charity shops like that.

    The planting in the new bit of your garden will look wonderful especially when the Acer grows a bit more. I wonder what wild life (not kids or dogs!) it will attract?

    We're saving 'Time' to watch at a later date; the trailer looked fantastic. I have 'Half Blood Blues' by Esi Edugyan in my waiting to be read pile.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a strappy dress and having the weather to wear them! Annabelinda was rather posh and aimed at the Oxford undergraduates and country set, I'm amazed one ended up in the Black Country! It's the Howard Marks connection that excited me the most, I loved him!
      I'm excited about what wildlife the front bit will attrcat, hopefully not inebriated people on their way back from the pub!
      Time is wonderful although it's a traumatic watch. I'm loving Esi Edugyan's writing, it's magical. xxx

      Delete
  3. Vix, enjoy that Corona no matter what time of day it is. Where is it written in law that 'thou shalt not drink beer before tea time'... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right! I shall enjoy that beer guilt free! xxx

      Delete
  4. I remember AnnaBelinda - what a find! I’m sure my mother still has her pinafore dress made by them - too small for me, unfortunately. I think most of their clothes were one-off originals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected to find one, the pinafores command huge prices - not that mine is going to be sold! they are fantastic quality and all hand-finished, too. What great taste your mum has! xxx

      Delete
  5. That Annabelinda story is a good one. I’m going to have a look for the Mr Nice book. I think the Dilly Greys are becoming a firm favourite with me. They look lovely on you.
    Every time I see the new lawn area I marvel at what a difference it has made.
    It popped up on my Facebook today, it’s five years since we visited you and Jon on our way back from my sister’s. Where has the time gone. Off to the caravan tomorrow. Fingers crossed there won’t be any water bursts. Hope your water supply is sorted soon. Don’t want you blotto on Corona xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it but there was also a Mr Nice film starring Rhys Ifans, I should see if I can find it in a chazza. The book is an incredible tale, you can't beleive it's a true story!
      Five years!! Goodness me, hasn't thay lovely day flown?
      I wondered when you'd be off to the caravan, it looks like you've chosen some fabulous weather to accompany you! Have the best time. xxx

      Delete
    2. Made it to caravan to find one big water burst and then it poured down. Philip sorted the burst but couldn’t do anything about the rain.xxx

      Delete
  6. OOoh, how fortuitous is that Annabelle pinafore! Wow!!!! It's really pretty so I can't wait to see you wear it! You did well in the chazzer!
    I remember when I found a vintage Aquascutum skirt in Oxfam for a fiver- I was so chuffed! Itw was a brilliant 1940's looking piece. The pity is that it is too small for me now (it was a size 6 waist really). So sad! The history of the company that you shared is pretty cool!
    The front garden is looking really nice- you must be so pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I couldn't beleive my eyes when I spotted that label.
      Those vintage Aquascutum skirts have tiny waists. I had a fantastic reversible one once which went to a teeny tiny lady! xxx

      Delete
  7. I love your pretty strappy dress! Congrats on your 4,200th Wii Fit session, that's quite an accomplishment. Your garden gets more beautiful by the day Vix and so nice to have a nice cold beer while working out there. I'm generally not a daytime drinker, but at the airport it doesn't matter if it's 7am, there will be a beer in my hand lol. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! That dress is delightfully cool to wear!
      I can't believe I've had so mnay workouts on my Wii Fit, it's probably the best present I ever received.
      You can't beat a beer at the airport, I hope it won't be too long till I'm in one again! xxx

      Delete
  8. If only I had your life !!! Your frontage gets better by the minute. I just loved your blue dress. I’ve probably told you I’ve been an historian and writer. I enjoy cruising up iPad to see some old and new videos. Dorothy Wordsworth and brother William had 2 slices of bread and butter for breakfast and tea. Lunch I’m not sure but she did cook Coleridge a chop so they weren’t vegetarians. She had a wonderful garden. A mix of everything. They averaged walking 8 miles a day. She lived to 88, he died at 84. I think a lot of the world is killing itself on too much food and no exercise. You 2 are on the right track 😊 so was I till I got chronic fatigue. Must look up wii. Hope it’s not too strenuous. Gardening is great exercise. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent many half term holidays in the Lake District and often visited Rydal Mount but had no idea that the Wordworth's were vegetarians. How progressive! You're right about the fresh air, exercise and being more disciplined with food. Your ought to see the queues of cars waiting for McD****s every time we drive past, no wonder obesity is such a problem in the UK. xxx

      Delete
  9. OMG I’ve just let you and the world know how ignorant I am. I thought wii was an exercise you did from your watch. Now I see it’s a thing for playing games on. Have I got it right ? You play video games before breakfast when I can hardly keep my eyes open. Or am I wrong again ? I hope my granddaughter didn’t read that. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wrong, Wii Fit is an exercise programme. It's a system you plug into the television. I do a thirty minute workout (yoga and step aerobics) every morning. x

      Delete
    2. That’s what I call dedication. So much better than paying to go to a gym. I’ve known so many people who sign up and no one I know has ever finished. Good for you. You look wonderful. I’m slim but never had much of an appetite and eat healthy simply because I Iike savoury food. My late husband could I think have lived on sausage rolls but he could never put on weight..He lived to 80.

      Delete
  10. Wow you are so lucky finding that dress, that would go for a pretty penny in Ginza. It’s got pretty dire again. Paul has instructed me to go off in the car on my own today and have a good hunt round the pit towns which I love doing,
    I just don’t like leaving him on his own at the moment, but the cogs of moving his dad into a nursing home are moving very slow. And it is getting to him now.
    Congrats on your Wii fit session!! I am the same with mario kart! Lol. You should be very happy with the work you have done with that side it looks awesome. Getting more homesick and I keep picking things up for the kiddos . Cant help it . Take care and keep safe love and huggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would, anything I have with Liberty fabric at fairs always sells to the Japanese girls!
      Have a lovely day exploring. I love the Black Country towns, so friendly and you've only got to look up at the high street buildings to see how grand they once were.
      I'm like Sally, I'll have to Google what Mario Cart is, I've no idea!
      I've just been to check that my transplanted plants are still there - they are!
      Have a lovely day! xxx

      Delete
  11. Your pink dress is STUNNING on you, Vix! I love that you are enjoying the sunshine. Meanwhile I've been shivering in Melbourne this past week. Send some warmth down, will ya? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jess! I hope it warms up for you soon. I'm loving this heat and sunshine! xxx

      Delete
  12. I love that you research so thoroughly. You could give talks at your local textile colleges about the history of fashion??What a fab result on your 'grassland' although I worry about that wee Acer on the corner and passing dogs! I only got 5 mins into 'Time', too violent for me I'm afraid. Just saw an ad for the new season of 'The Handmaid's Tale', what with that and the new season of 'Virgin River' starting on 9th July, I'm pretty much sorted for summer telly!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody suggested I did a talk for a women's group a few years ago, I used to have to address conferences and do talks in a past life, public speaking absolutely terrifies me.
      After I'd photographed the acer I laid sprigs of freshly cut holly beneath it - it keeps the slugs and pissing dogs at bay!
      I've not watched either of those shows, it's wall-to-wall football for the next month here! xxx

      Delete
  13. I don't know how you find this stuff! I think the vintage is drawn to you. Seriously, you're like some sort of dress magnet :)

    Boil orders are a drag, but obviously better than having to go out and purchase bottled water. Glad they had it fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted it. I've lusted after their 70s pinafores for years!
      Those poor workers have had so much tropuble replacing our ancient waterpipes, thank goodness it's all sorted for the next 15 years now! xxx

      Delete
  14. Wow that dress for £3 what a find. Ive just got an £8 bundle of 8 items from ebay including Whistles shorts, Principles skirt and Oliver Bonas top.
    I just love a bar- gasm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The garden bit outside your front gate is going from strength to strength, I absolutely love it. As I do your strappy dress and the "Bianca". A trip to your favourite Black Country charity shop town was just perfect for its first outing. I'm loving a mooch around the garden centre as much as I do a charity shop rummage, and at this time of year, the first is the most alluring! I simply cannot resist buying yet more plants, even if I know I'm fast running out of space. Which sounds a bit like my wardrobe situation :-)
    I'm swooning over the Annabelinda dress, what a fantastic find! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! Several people say that they look forward to walking past every day to see what changes they can spot.
      I love summer clothes, I get so excited getting dressed when it's hot and sunny.
      I was amazed to spot that Annabelinda dress, I'd love to know who donated that beauty! xxx

      Delete
  16. Ooh, Esi Edugyan lives here in Victoria, BC, Canada, Vix! My friend Caro bought chairs from her and visited her house - she's just a lovely person. I haven't read that book by her yet, but we did "Half-Blood Blues" for our Book Club a few years back!

    Your Annabelinda dress! What a score! I love finding those treasures, don't you?

    Much admiring your front lawn section - good luck keeping the dogs and kids off it. Glad to see you've got summer weather and can break out the swooshy light dresses! I hope it stays nice and warm for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that Esi Edugyan lived in Victoria. How fantastic that caro bought some chairs from her. Her writing is spellbinding, I'm loving Washington Black. I must track down Half Blood Blues.
      Isn't it exciting to find a treasure amongst the dross? I squealed with excitement when I spotted that beauty!
      We've got temperatures of 28°C forecast for tomorrow, I can hardly wait! xxx

      Delete
  17. Blue dress looks so cool, for summer heat.
    I really like pegging my clothes out to dry, here in United States I think most people call it hanging your clothes to dry.
    In short bit I will go back and read my book "Journal of John Cheever"
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely cool thing to wear and it's lovely having warm enough weather to give it an outing!
      I love line-dried washing, nothing beats the smell.
      I bet that book is interesting. xxx

      Delete
  18. Your Summer weather certainly is suiting you and your garden. The strappy blue one suits you beautifully and looks so cool and comfy. I can see why you drew many compliments on your pink Bianca dress , its gorgeous and so are those sunnies. Enjoy your well earned Summer Vix. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. the annabelinda dress is worth of a museum.... but maybe its more happy being worn by you and having some adventures :-D
    blue and pink dress are gorgeous and very summer-y - and you found great stock for kinky melon - and the front lawn looks perfect.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beate! Exactly, that Annabelinda pinafore dress needs to be worn and loved. It will be lovely for Autumn - not that I'm wishing away Summer. xxx

      Delete
  20. Love that pink dress. Interesting to read about the Annabelinda background. I used to love visiting Liberty when I worked in banking and moonlighted at La Val Bonne night club just down the road from there so was able to pop in often to explore the shop - rarely bought much as too expensive but loved seeing their prints and window displays. I hope nobody dares spoil that beautiful front garden you have made - it's an amazing transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Liberty's much to my shame. I'd love to have a look round although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to afford a thing!
      I love the colour of that dress, proper Indian pink! xxx

      Delete
  21. Your little lawn section looks great - hopefully it stays that way! I can't believe how many pots of plants you have. I have two hanging plant baskets on my porch and wish I had room for more.

    Enjoyed the story of the Annabelinda dress - It's so wonderful when you find a treasure like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! The wild flowers I've planted in the lawn are shooting up already, it won't be long before it's in full bloom - I hope! We've had so many people stop and tell us how much they like it.
      I loved the dress and was so excited to discover it. Howard Marks is a huge hero of mine. xxx

      Delete
  22. Glad that you've been enjoying your garden, reading in your bikini!, this is a lovely activity!. And I'm really admiring your garden, more and more as I see all this lush and blooming!
    Lovely pink dress, this Dilly Grey label has some great stuff!. You make this dress look fabulous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woah, that Annabelinda dress was one hell of a find!

    Pete's like you when it comes to airports - gotta have a beer, no matter what time it is. (I even miss airports nowadays...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix