Friday 4 June 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 3rd & 4th June, 2021


Another Oriental poppy had bloomed when I wandered around the garden on Thursday morning. I did a load of washing, pegged it out on the line and did my Wii Fit workout before catching up with blogland. I needed to close the executor's account I'd opened when I was dealing with Dad's estate so we headed into town so I could present my ID at the bank and sign some paperwork.


Expecting a day as hot as Wednesday, I'd optimistically worn the vintage Adini dress Helena had sent me but the sun stayed stubbornly behind the clouds until late in the afternoon.

WEARING: Vintage Adini sundress worn with 1970s Dolcis straw bag (charity shop), vintage Moroccan choker with semi-precious stones (eBay), Lotta from Stockholm clogs


Grown-up stuff done we had a wander around the charity shops & found a few bits, a pretty cotton floral kimono with the Japanese store tags still attached, a 1980s waistcoat (identical to one I'd sold earlier this week), a black leather belt with a gorgeous Art Nouveau buckle and a huge pompom trimmed basket.

After our noodles, we got changed and stuck into some work outside. I moved a few plants, weeded the patch we'd cleared the bamboo from earlier this year and staked my sunflowers whilst Jon assembled the barrier for outside the front gates. Leaving him shuffling the V Dubs around I spent the remainder of the afternoon on the lawn in my bikini reading. 

Tea was a salad with a feta cheese & spinach parcel and a vegetarian tartlet. Later we watched The Antiques Road Trip and the final episode of The Killing - I thought we'd got just one more to watch on Wednesday night but got it wrong. Later I retired to bed with my book whilst Jon made music in his room.

Friday morning was sunny and warm. After a wander around the garden, I did a load of washing and pegged it out on the line before doing my last Wii Fit workout and sweeping the downstairs rugs and stairs. I booked next week's National Trust visit, caught up with blogland and then joined Jon for breakfast. 


After playing around with the picture frames we'd bought from the charity shop on Sunday, we nipped over to one of our regular Black Country shopping towns (or at least it was regular, pre-pandemic) and had a mooch around the chazzas. I wore my Anokhi for East Artisan block-printed dress for the first time and several posh ladies stopped me to tell me how beautiful it was. 

WEARING: Anokhi for East Artisan midi dress and vintage West german Tropical sunglasses (both eBay), Copal beads and silver cuff (charity shop), Lotta from Stockholm clogs

We found a few treasures in amongst the dross - a hand-blown Mid-Century Scandanavian piece of art glass to add to my collection; some proper country gents mustard jumbo cords from posh British outfitters Pakeman, Catto & Carter (Eric Clapton is one of their brand ambassadors); a useful Betmar, New York foldable sunhat; some Pierre Cardin sandals adorned with bejewelled snakes and a candy-striped cotton leisure shirt by swanky Italian label, Etro


The most expensive purchase was the vase at £4.50! 

Back at home, a parcel was waiting, a gorgeous silver and turquoise Dilli Grey dress I'd scored off eBay over the bank holiday weekend (always the best time to hunt for bargains). 

The seller had included a freebie, an organic cotton slip to wear underneath, still with the tags attached. 


I googled Aspiga, it's a sustainable and ethical British brand with some truly gorgeous dresses. The slips are available online for a very reasonable £13.

I washed the new buys and hung them on the line to dry in the sunshine. After our noodles, Jon went food shopping while I got changed into my gardening gear and shredded the branches he'd lopped off the laurel bushes earlier this week. Leaving him tinkering with V Dubs, I spent the rest of the day snoozing and reading on the lawn, meeting up on the new bench for a chilled Corona beer with a wedge of lime at 5pm.

 
After watering the garden we tucked into beetroot felafels with sweet potato wedges (me), fish and chips (Jon) both served with mushy peas. Later we'll be drinking rum and watching Gardeners' World.


I'll leave you with this track which, since hearing it on 6Music a fortnight ago, I'm completely obsessed with.

Have a fabulous weekend!

41 comments:

  1. I’ve just come in from reading in the garden. It’s a first for me to read a novel during the day but I wanted to finish it. I’m not great at sitting for any length of time before I jump up and find something do.
    Your Anokhi dress is so lovely. It could be a new favourite, although I do like the Dilli Grey ones.
    You started me thinking when you mentioned hanging the washing out, we need to move our new line as I don’t want to be looking at a line of knickers when we are sat outside haha.
    I’m going to have a listen to the track you’ve added now. I keep listening to Holly Humberstone on Alexa, she’s great.
    Off to try out a new Italian restaurant in Todmorden on Sunday and fingers crossed we will be going to the caravan on Wednesday. Have a lovely weekend you two xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I devour books when the sun's out! We had to have an emrgency dash to the chazza this morning just in case I ran out!
      I got lucky with that East dress, they all seem to be over £100 now. It's a lovely thing to wear.
      Yes, get that washing line moved. Mind you, you've got posh pants worthy of showing off, unlike my 15 year old ones!
      Hope the Italian feast was delicious! xxx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Vix, in both your dresses, so feminine! I also love the huge yellow beads and your signature clogs. I am a fan of Scandinavian vintage, and your new vase is spectacular. Justin and I love Gardener's World as well, such a delightful show with eye-opening information about plants. Reading your blog is like reading a novel or watching a series about a life well-lived! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Natalia! One of my blog friend's mum is an expert on vintage glass, she's commented that it's Finnish and has even give me the design number. I loved the olive green colour, I don't have many in that lovely shade.
      I wondered if you watched Gardeners' World, I know it's big in the USA. I'd love it if you and Justin sent in a video! xxx

      Delete
  3. You look so pretty in pink (or any colour for that matter!) I spent the day with my new grandson, bought him his first pair of shoes and I have to say, what I paid for them I wouldn't even spend on myself for shoes but that's the joys of 'grandparenthood'! I loved Antiques Road Trip this week because it was in Scotland and I really like Natasha. She has a good radio prog on Radio Scotland on Thursday nights and she plays quite obscure stuff. Love your new basket with the pom-pom trim!Have a good n'sunny weekend.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! What a lovely day and I don't blame you at all for slurging on expensive shoes, he deserves to be spoilt!
      Just catching up with last week's Road Trip. My two cousins live in Hawick, I really ought to visit them one day. It loks such a lovely place. Natasha is fab, liking the new expert Stephen, too - he's got a stupendous wardrobe! xxx

      Delete
  4. The dresses you were wearing and your new one all beautiful! I'm looking forward to the next National Trust visit, they are always so pretty and so interesting. I've never tried that kind of falafel, but I love the ones made from chickpeas. Have a fantastic weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! First time for me trying those beetroot falafel, much lighter than the chickpea variery so I could eat loads more! xxx

      Delete
  5. You look good in pink! That's a lovely dress with the cris cross back.
    Etro clothing is expensive stuff-good find there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Goody! I need more pink in my life!
      Jon was really excited to find that Etro shirt, what with the Paul Smith blazer he found last week he's got some very posh labels in his wardrobe lately! xxx

      Delete
  6. Your life always sounds so heavenly. Must explain a comment you left. ....I only had a couple of mice. What you saw on tv was Australia. I live in NewZealand thankgoodness. Otherwise I would be on the first plane out of there. Just one mouse and I call the pest control.😱. Love your poppies, your pink dress , everything. I had a lot of flowering indoor plants delivered. It is winter but in my house I can pretend it’s summer. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you were in NZ and am very glad they haven't crossed the water from Australia (I bet you are, too!)
      Enjoy those plants, houseplants are the best! xxx

      Delete
  7. Yo scored some good buys there. We went Paul called work and said he would be back to finish his work next week. So I bet they will be glad. I found some dead stock items to put in the box for my boss and I few peices for myself.
    I have been quite lucky on eBay I have picked up some designer trainers for 12.00 that go for £125. So I have been quite happy and some large tote bags as in japan we don’t have the fear of pickpockets,
    Paul was watching a documentary on antivaxers whilst I was on the bath on Tuesday. I could hear him shout and scream from the other end of the room. It was quite funny to be honest.
    Channel 4 know how to wind people up don’t they. We have to stay local as bill is back in hospital and is not so good. So I am going to walk mums dog and just visit the local town .
    Looking good as always our stay is extended until the end of July . Take care keep safe love and huggs to you both and the cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Allie. I'm glad you've found some interesting bits to send back and well done on the trainers. The school holidays/bank holiday is always a great time to buy off ebay, I always find bargains then.
      You're right Channel 4 do some brilliant documentaries. I'm glad we didn't watch the anti-vaxers one, those people are seriously deranged aren't they?
      Thinking of you and hoping all's well. xxx

      Delete
  8. some very pretty dresses (my favourite is the Anokhi of course) and your beads go so well with so many thing. Snake sandals are keepers - would be great with cut off shorts. Havent seen The Killing yet so have that to look forward to. Have a fabulous, sunny, weekend. Bettyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! That Anokhi for East is lovely to wear and it's always nice to get compliments from posh ladies! xxx

      Delete
  9. You look wonderful in the pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled with it. Thank you so much! xxx

      Delete
  10. The pink dress is gorgeous, especially with the strappy back. And who doesn't love a basket bag with pompoms! I knew something was missing from mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules! I love the back of that pink dress 9and the ginormous pockets!) Get yourself a pack of pompoms from Wilkos and make your own pompom basket! You know you want to! xxx

      Delete
  11. The dresses are all lovely and great to finally have the weather to wear them. We are out in the garden this weekend as there is some serious weeding and tidying to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome back! Hope you had a fabulous holiday! xxx

      Delete
  12. Aren't Oriental Poppies simply spectacular , I always look forward to mine. Your Summer dresses are wonderful, you must revel in the Summer sunshine . Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, I love their spotty innards! xxx

      Delete
  13. the red of the poppies is something im searching for...save me a few seeds chuck

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our Oriental poppies still show no sign of opening their still tightly packed flower pods, even if everything else is bursting into bloom almost before our very eyes! I guess I'll need to have patience!
    Your sugar pink Adini sundress looks gorgeous on you, and I'm loving that 1970s straw bag you're carrying. Such a shame the weather didn't live up to expectations.
    Your Anokhi block printed dress is another stunner, and so is that silver and turquoise Dilli Grey dress. I can't get over the fact that you found another Dilli Grey one! Great chazza finds too, I wonder will you be keeping those Pierre Cardin sandals? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oriental poppies have been so slow this year and typically the poor things got a right hammering with the rain last night!
      I was thrilled with how well that pink midi dress looked, it's crying out for a trip to greece - fingers crossed it'll get there one day!
      I think it would be rude not to keep those snake sandals! xxx

      Delete
  15. I think this is the first time I've seen you in pink and you rock it Vix! And those snake sandals are so Slytherin! Love 'em. I recognized the singer in the video from Slow Club, who I used to see on gig circuit in Manchester. Always nice to see folk from old bands being brave and doing something completely different.

    Onto the Scandinavian glass find...I showed Ol' Glass Eyed Mumrah & this is what she said: Absolute bargain for £4.50!!! :0 Looks like Riihimaki glass Lasi Oy, Finland c.1960s/70s. 'Lasi Oy' means glass company. It's referred to as 'Rhiihimaki' because that's where the glassworks is. There were other companies that made similar pieces, so it could be another glassworks, it's difficult to tell from the angle of the picture (straight on is best for identifying). Looks like one of Tamara Aladin's designs, Pattern no. 1472. This link shows the dimensions to cross compare it with -

    https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=275_279_358&products_id=6233

    Have a great weekend,
    Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. correction - 'Rhiihimaen Lasi Oy' but commonly referred to as 'Rhiihimaki' :0 (Got told off by Mumrah for that!) :)

      Delete
    2. Hello Lulu! Give Mumrah a huge hug from me, that's so interesting and it looks exactly the same, fancy that! She's a clever lady and certianly knows her stuff!
      Who doesn't need some bejewelled snakes on their feet? I'm so glad they're my size, i might have had a tantrum if they wern't!
      Rebecca's certainly gone in a different direction with that Self esteem project, I think it might be my track of the Summer! xxx

      Delete
  16. It's a grey, cold, drizzling day here in Auckland, New zealand. I need some cheering up. So off to Vintage Vixen blog I go - yep, it worked....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad my witterings cheered you up! xxx

      Delete
  17. the pink dress fits you like a glove!!!! lovely!
    but i love the other outfit too - the dainty dress with the chunky beads is a fabulous look.
    very special and cool finds in the chazza - your customers are a lucky bunch! and how fab that the dilli gray dress came with an organic slip - just perfect.
    congrats to the gorgeous poppies!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! I love the pink dress and have been dying to give that Anokhi an outing, the copal beads just seemed to be the perfect choice, a good contrast! xxx

      Delete
  18. Ooh, so many pretty dresses! You look lovely in the pink one, Vix - I am always envious of backless things, which just don't work with my boobs. I love that belt buckle you found and excellent score on the Etro - their stuff is NOT cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! Not being well-blessed in the boob department is a huge advantage when it comes to strapless dresses! Jon was very smug finding that Etro shirt for £2! xxx

      Delete
  19. I'm going to comment on the nice back again ;-)
    How nice is that Adini dress! As you know, I'm not that into pink but I'd forgo my reservations for a style as lovely as That!
    The cotton slip freebie was such a nice gesture! So useful too!
    I'm not surprised the posh ladies complimented you- you know exactly what suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I don't have much pink in mywardrobe but after wearing this dress I'm wondering why not! xxx

      Delete
  20. Both of the dresses you're wearing in this post are just lovely on you, no wonder you were getting compliments. I am drooling over the fancy Pierre Cardin sandals, and they look beautiful on you. Any idea of their age?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good finds there! And the commenters are right, that *is* a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix