Sunday 27 June 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 25th, 26th & 27th June, 2021



It had rained heavily throughout the night and Friday morning was soggy and grey with a distinct nip in the air. I booked next weeks' National Trust trip, did my Wii Fit workout and wrapped my eBay sales ready for Jon to drop off at the Post Office. But that could wait, after breakfast, we drove over to another of our favourite Black Country charity shopping spots for a bit of a rummage.

 
Another day for sleeves! I wore a vintage Indian cotton midi dress from trading pals, Olds Cool Traders with the brown wool fedora I'd bought on eBay from a Shropshire-based milliner having a clearout. I've wanted a decent pair of brown leather western boots forever and found these Italian-made beauties from the high-end label, Toast on eBay a couple of months ago. They are absurdly comfy and I love them to death (the marks are from the rain, they're perfect).


One of our finds was this Indian-made block printed cotton cross-body bag for £1.95 which went with what I was wearing perfectly. Luckily the obnoxious leather label was easy to unpick and didn't leave a mark.


Much better!


These gorgeous Kurt Geiger 1980s shoe boots came in their original box along with the dust bags. The glass oil and vinegar bottles are stamped Mod. Dep, the Italian registered trademark, and something Jon's been after for ages. The 1970s poison green leather clutch bag is made in Britain by Yolanta.


 I adore the colours of this set of mid-century owl mugs by SECLA, established in Caldas da Rainha, the Portuguese town famed for its ceramics, back in 1947. SECLA stands for "Sociedade de Exportação e Cerâmica, Lda" meaning their creations were destined for the foreign market, namely the UK and USA. At the beginning of the 1950s, SECLA opened a pottery studio where artists could experiment with new shapes and techniques, including Ferreira da Silva, who went on to be one of the most important Portuguese ceramists of the 20th century.


If you're a regular reader of my blog you'll know that I'm obsessed with tiles - I even spent my birthday at Jackfield tile museum a couple of years ago (HERE). I'd sell my soul to get my hands on some of these wonderful SECLA azulejos but in the meantime, I'm happy with our set of mugs and even more so at the price - £5 for the lot! 


These tiled stairs in Fontainhas, the Portuguese quarter of Goa's state capital, Panjim, always make my heart beat faster no matter how many times I've seen them.
 

This pewter silk maxi dress by Agnes B has a train and a boned collar and is really quite incredible on, the 1970s Sammy gents silk pyjamas feel amazing and the 1970s Dupois for Jack Bryan black chiffon cocktail dress is rather glam.


We'd had a delivery whilst we were out. In the postbox was a book on loan from Lynn, I love Grayson so this should be a good read.


And a postcard not posted from Glastonbury from a member of our festival family, Lily. Of course, if we were living in normal times we'd have been at Glastonbury this week and we miss our friends and our festival life desperately.

Sir William Fitzwilliam (1460 - 1534)

After our noodles, I washed our finds and hung them to dry in the utility room as, once again, it was peeing down. When I'd booked next week's National Trust trip the location rang a bell, it was a village where a branch of Jon's family had lived for over ten generations so I had a trawl through Ancestry.com and made a note of the names thinking we could search the local graveyards for their headstones. 


Needless to say, it didn't take me long to find another noble ancestor in Lord Jon's family tree, his 15x great grandfather, Sir William Fitzwilliam, Sheriff of London (1526 - 1599). Sir William was treasurer and chamberlain to Cardinal Wolsey and purchased the family seat, Milton Hall in 1506. The impressive house that stands today (above) was built by William's grandson, also William, in 1594. William the sheriff's son, Sir William Fitzwilliam II (1505 - 1576), was Jon's 14x Great-grandfather. His daughter, Agneta married into a prominent Shropshire family and the family remained in the same area until the late 19th century. 


When I went for a shower on Thursday evening I realised that my right boob was totally exposed (I'm not a bra wearer!) I've mentioned before that the recycled sari top is held together with more patches than fabric, hence the reason it's been relegated to gardening attire. Using the sleeve from the Anokhi for East top Helena had kindly sent me, I did a bit of visible mending. 


I used the remainder of the sleeve to make a mask.


After half a pizza and some salad, we cracked open the rum and spent the evening watching Gardeners' World (sorry Monty but I love it when Adam presents) and some of the Beeb's Glastonbury special (trying not to cry into my beer).



On Saturday Jon got up, made tea and we lay and read in bed till just gone 9am. When Jon went downstairs to make a start on breakfast I stripped and changed the bed, chucked the bedding in the washing machine and pegged it out to dry before joining Jon for sausage sandwiches and coffee. Although overcast and dull it was mercifully dry so we got stuck into our respective tasks in the garden. I pruned the buddleia, replanted a loganberry bush, re-sited the bags of potatoes and dug up another patch of bastard bamboo.


Don't the potatoes look pretty growing in these bags? 


Jon cut down some of the railway sleepers we'd had delivered last week and bolted them into place ready to accommodate the mother of all sheds he's hoping to get built before the Autumn, thus eliminating the need for the other three (never fear, the Kinky Shed remains!)


Cheryl popped round bearing Jaffa Cakes and we sat in the afternoon sunshine chatting and drinking tea. After she left we quickly cleared up, cracked open a beer and watched Wales vs Denmark before tucking into skin-on oven chips, mushy peas and a three-cheese melt (for me) and battered haddock (Jon). The rest of the evening was spent drinking rum and watching the thrilling Italy vs Austria.


 I'm not sure if it was the previous day's physical activity or the rum but we didn't wake up until gone 8am! I made tea and brought it back to bed where we read for half an hour. We watched Andy Marr, ate toast and I painted my nails in Barry M's Blueberry, my go-to festival colour.


Gathering our donation bag (two vintage melamine cruet sets, 6 x 1970s glass coffee beakers, a set of shot glasses and a couple of paperbacks) we drove down to the clearance charity shop and had a rummage then walked down to Wilko to stock up on some essentials.



What did we find? A 3-Suisses Madras check jacket, a 1990s western shirt; a Carhartt jacket, a whopping great pile of books and this fantastic Hovis industrial loaf tin, which I reckon came from the Harvestime bakery that closed in the noughties and was once one of Walsall's biggest employers. 


After a bowl of noodles, I washed the latest finds and hung them on the line. Anxious to fill the bamboo cleared border before the weeds took root, I planted an Azalea from elsewhere in the garden and a Tanacetum that had caught my eye in Wilko earlier. I then reorganised my pots and gave the new additions a good watering.


I don't care if they're old fashioned, I'm madly in love with my Alpines!


Meanwhile, Jon replaced the knackered bathroom taps, any swearing drowned out by a Dutch punk radio station he was listening to at full-blast.


Sunday's outfit was another of my buys from Olds Cool Traders, a vintage block-print Pakistani kaftan worn with my recent chazza shop finds, an Art Nouveau buckle belt (£1) and Pierre Cardin snake sandals (£1.95) 


 The Czech Republic vs The Netherlands match kicks off at 5pm, Jon's making a curry for tea (and there may be a cheeky glass of vino to accompany it) and then it's Belgium vs Portugal at 8pm. It ain't Glastonbury but we're still having fun.

See you soon!


40 comments:

  1. Hi Vix
    thanks,as ever, for the great post. I was a bit worried when there was no post last night I wondered if you had both gone off to Glasto just to look at the field! That Hovis loaf tin took me back to the mis 80's when I worked in an FE college and shareed the staff room with the catering deparment, I was in health education. At a particular time in the first term the students did the Hovis challenge and had to bake wholemeal loaves in exactly those tins. The great bit for us was that at the end we could have as much of the fresh baked bread that we wanted. The only problem was every loaf was cut in half, since the bake had to be checked! We also had cakes, biscuits, pies etc free every day as the students didn't take them home. Kieth loved my time there haha. Your black dress with the boned collar is beautiful as are the Toast boots, you have such an eye for clothes. Once again thanks for your posts I love to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Shelagh! I had every intention of posting on Saturday afternoon but there was no time after chatting with Cheryl and the start of the match and I am a bit obsessed with international tournament football - this year even more so with no festivals to distract me!
      What a treat it must have been to have all that freshly baked bread for free - even if it had been chopped up and inspected! When I was at catering collage I ate like a queen, there was a shop at the college selling produce the students didn't want to take home and it usually only a few pence to buy! xxx

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous collection of outfits. It's a bit odd seeing you wear long sleeved dresses (and even boots in the first look) because it's so hot here, over 40 C. But your outfits are fantastic. It is great you were able to do visible sewing and save that vintage item.
    Yes, I remember your love for tiles. Those tiles in Goa look amazing. The tiles in your home are very pretty as well. I always love to see 'news' from your garden as well. It looks great. Your tea always looks delicious as well.
    I'm sure you miss the festivals. Fingers crossed you'll be able to safely return to festival life soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good old England, sleeves and boots in summer! I've been known to wear fake fur coats, sheepskin hats and mittens in previous years, the only good thing you can say about our weather is that it's never boring! I'd kill for 40°C heat. xxx

      Delete
  3. Some great charity shop finds and your garden is looking amazing as always. My nasturtium seeds that I grew from seed got a bit frazzled when were on holiday in Cornwall but I still planted them out in my border and this week I have been rewarded with one flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our nasturtiums are starting to go mad. One of them has grown 18" in a week! They are magic! xxx

      Delete
  4. That Indian cotton midi dress from Olds Cool Traders is gorgeous on you - and I'm loving the boots and the posh Shropshire hat too - and how serendipitous was finding that cross-body bag. I have been known to remove obnoxious labels too. The mid-century owl mugs were a great score, and I'm swooning over those tiled stairs in Fontainhas!
    I totally get that you are missing your festival life and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get to sample it again soon.
    Love the visible mending on the sari top and the mask you whipped up from the remainder of the sleeve.
    That's going to be one whopper of a shed by the looks of it, though I'm glad to hear the Kinky Shed isn't in any danger :-)
    That Hovis tin is the stuff of dreams, and I'm loving the new bathroom taps, even if I swear I could hear Jon swearing all the way to Belgium. And who cares if alpines are old-fashioned, I do love them too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! Darron & Jo know exactly what I like. I'm all about the cross-body bags these days, I need my hands free for santiser! I've no idea why manufacturers feel the need to stick such ugly logos on things but I'm glad it came off easily!
      I was excited about the mugs & the Hovis tin, homewares don't count as frivolous purchases, do they?
      I do miss festivals - the governemnt test events seem to have been okay so lets hope they give them the thumbs up to resume again properly next summer! xxx

      Delete
  5. Boots in June- who'd of thought it! but mine might come out as I love my booties and the rain's a great excuse. You find such wonderful things in chazzas, I suspect I am just not looking hard enough or frequently enough as there must be some treasure in our neck of the woods! Love that Hovis tin - I would be making bread in that for sure :) Olds Cool Traders have sent some wonderful stuff your way and that dress is just fabulous - I was actually getting anxious as you hadn't posted last night - how sad am I! but have got used to your routine :) That staircase of tiles is beautiful, I would love to see that in an entrance to a library or swimming pool in the UK - we just don't make stuff like that and we should, Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, bless you! I felt a bit naughty not posting on saturday but it would ahve been a bit of a shoddy post if I'd have rushed it!
      I could probably have got away with clogs on Friday but needed an excuse to wear those boots!
      I bet there's loads of treasures in your local shops, too. Ours do have mountains of dross but I think the more often you go, the easier it becomes to spot a duiamond in the rough. xxx

      Delete
  6. Nice finds and both you and your garden look amazing as always. Those tiled stairs are just amazing. They make my heart beat a little faster too, even just seeing it in a photo. Have a great week Vix! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiles are just amazing, aren't they? pocket-sized pieces of art. I love them! xxx

      Delete
  7. I swoon over that belt buckle, the Agnes B dress! That's easily worth $500 Canadian (around $250 Euros). I love seeing your charity shop finds - I want to shop with you! One day, I'll make it over to the UK and I will be demanding a meet-up!

    I'm so envious of your nippy weather - want to trade?? Your boots are gorgeous (I just found a similar pair in dark grey!), as is that quilted bag (good call on removing the ugly label). The owl mugs are amazing - and the peacock steps are incredibly beautiful. Amazing work on your repair, and good job on the taps, Jon!

    Your weekend sounds so fun! I hope you get to do your festivals again soon, Vix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed to spot some Agnes B, I remember it being huge here in the 1990s! The quality of the construction is astonishing from the double zip at the side seam to the boned collar and train. A very strange thing to end up in such a down-at-heel post industrial town!
      Your weather's even made the BBC News! I'd happily trade, I was born a lizard and rarely feel the heat although it can't be much fun having to go to work in 40°C heat. xxx

      Delete
  8. I suppose you won't be baking any giant loaves of bread. I just love old manufacturing items-sturdy stuff. I have a few commercial baking sheets from the 80s bought from a supplier that I'm still using regularly.
    That belt buckle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a normal sized tin, just designed so that HOVIS is stamped on the side of each one. It would make a nice kitchen shelf if Jon doesn't bake with it.
      I was thrilled when i spotted that belt buckle, I think it might be a nurse's! xxx

      Delete
  9. My eldest would love that jacket they are over £200 in Japan!!! I love those owl mugs to I think Have one in brown. Love the loaf tin. There’s a bakery near mum and dads and all you can smell is fresh baked bread it’s lovely.
    I’m with you on brands sticking their name on front of things when they really don’t need to. That bag looks so much better without it.
    That Grayson Perry book. I gave Lynn my thoughts on it. I have gone back to it , but I still have put it down read another book and then I am due to go back. It just upsets me that people in Japan like Grayson have to hide , but perverts who ogle at my daughter and teenage idols they are allowed to do so. But I still love the country I call home. We’re you cannot jane BPD or any mental sickness or any deformity as you have to be perfect. But then you have people like my boss who see past that and stick two fingers up! He’s great
    Sorry for going on . Thank god for US airbases we’re I get a lot a treatment as I know a lot of people.
    Right going for a walk. You two keep safe love and huggs as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon thinks I need to keep that jacket and get a job on Gardeners' World as all the presenters wear Carhartt!
      There was a pottery called Holkham in Norfolk that made those owl mugs, too - I had a set in nay with a matching milk jug. I wonder who came up with the design first, the Portuguese or the Brits?
      Visible logos are so naff. The leather one was bigger than the bag!
      I'm loving the Grayon book, I had no idea of the culture of older men perving over young girls until Lynn lent me Stacey Dooley's Women Who Fight Back. There was I mistakedly thinking that Japan was built on a culture of respect.
      Loads of love! xxx

      Delete
  10. And we are having fun reading about you having fun! happy Monday morning Vix! You have been busy and wow the new chazza scores are insane! I have had fun down our big shed all week end with the family orreorganising. My son is into ebay too so our stuff is relocated down there now. Wow do I love those boots I had a pair of cowboy boots I actually wore to death your look like they will get a lot of wear too Your garden is absolutly beautiful - even the potatoes look great. we seem to have aquired a "pet"baby rabbit out the front who is out there every day I cought him munching on the geraniums. I watched the special on Glastonbury and I said I am looking out for someone I know - the guys looke dat me a bit strange lol anyway you look beautiful in the kaftan and the midi dress is gorgeous too. I so need new taps I giggled at the swearing being covered up by the radio it seems Jon turns his hand to anything too. Lovely post as usual Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Shaz! We are finding some good bits in the cahzzas lately, hooray to people who declutter!
      It makes such a difference having your stock away from the house, we lived amaongst it for years and could never switch off. I'm looking forward to Jon having a new mega shed and clearing out the other three (actually there's 4 but we can't get in there as the roof has fallen in!)
      I've been after the right pair of cowboy boots for years, I've got a feeling mine get worn to death, too!
      A rabbit! I've never owned one but they are so cute although he needs to eat something other tahn your geraniums! Did you know it's National Rabbit Week this week? xxx

      Delete
  11. sundays outfit looked total glam - the gorgeous belt and sandals with the lush kaftan is a tres chic combination!
    love the western boots!
    you´r a brave one - enjoying the life despite a big part of it got eaten by the pandemic.... i´m still relieved every time you mention a parcel with ebay-sales going out.
    we had torrential rain too - thankfully no damage - and the garden is well soaked now and the reservoirs are full. yay. :-D
    much love! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! I love that kaftan and it's twin, so easy to wear and work with absolutely every accessory I throw at them.
      You're right, so much of our old life got taken away by the pandemic, the markets, fairs and festivals, hanging around pubs, foreign travel (although we did get to Crete last Autumn), I never thought I'd stay sane after a fortnight at home, turns out I'm still okay 18 months on! xxx

      Delete
  12. Garden's looking really lush. I love those Toast boots, they would've cost a packet originally. I like the Birkenstock sandals they are selling at the mo but the 80 quid pricetag is a tad too much at the mo. I hope they have them in their autumn sale. I also love their pyjamas! The Jack Wills bag would have cost a fortune too but I'm glad you took the label off, looks much better. You will absolutely love 'A Fine Balance'. I might read it again! Loving the 'Men's Shed' coz you could surely get more than one of them in it!!Have a great week.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never owned anything by Toast before and absolutely love their ethics, I dread to think how much those boots cost new. There's quite a few reputable sellers on eBay who sell Birkis at a good price.
      I read A Fine Balance last year, I lent my copy to a friend but as it was so cheap I thought I'd get a replacement rather than waiting for her to finosh my copy! It is an incredible book. xxx

      Delete
  13. So behind on commenting on your epic posts, Vix - but we're plate-spinning between my Mum (partial hip replacement after another fall) and my sister-in-law who has just died, after months of decline. At least it takes one's mind off Covid and the current state of political feckwittage here. I wish I liked football lol.

    That cross-body bag is a smashing find - better still debranded! I would imagine you'll get loads of use out of it. The kaftan is magic - love that colourway and the belt looks epic with it.

    Looking forward to seeing the Shed Mothership. Our cellar pump project is almost complete. The worst bit was getting the US fittings to play nicely with metric and the bits of original plumbing in the house which are imperial/AF. Oh how we laughed. But, the bugger is all plumbed in and watertight - we just need to cut an outlet hole in the coal chute lid (the pump/pit is in what was our original coal hole). This will involve playing with a plasma welder apparently - watch this space.

    I've taken more stuff in to the local chazzas than I've bought in the last 2 weeks - but then I'm being super-strict. Apart from eBay where I've had two DELIGHTFUL purchases that could not be passed by (vintage Phool and a beautiful block print mantua/overdress which will work with a good 80% of my wardrobe).

    Those Toast boots are incredible - their merch is so beautifully made/thought through - they have some interesting bits on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aa8oVErzs

    Your next NT pick looks wonderful - Jon must be so tired of going back to his ancestral homes LMAO

    Right, I'm offski - take care of yourselves - Maryland, big love to you as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Elaine. Very sorry about your mum's hip and the loss of your sister-in-law. I've always loved international tournament football and it proving a most welcome distrcation from everything else in the news. How wonderful to see such celebrations and unbridled joy at Wembley last night.
      I'm glad you've puzzled out that pump, a plasma welder sounds like something from a sci-fi film.Jon's currently struggling with Gilbert's engine and keeps explaining his next move, I reckon I could rebuild one myself with all the information he keeps giving me!
      Your chazzas sound excellent especially Phool! Our shops are absolutely desperate for donations so we look at everything and ask ourselves if we can live without it - we've done so well in charity shops over the years it's good to repay them in donations although very tempting to buy it back a week later!
      Thansk for that Toast link. The boots are incredible quality, buttery soft and just wonderful to wear. I dread to think how much they'd have retailed at originally.
      SEnding you loads of love! xxx

      Delete
  14. Been catching up with your blog posts. You've scored some fabulous dresses on Ebay!
    Even though I only watch Glastonbury on the Beeb, I feel so melancholy that it's not on. The specials are better than nothing, but it still feels sad.
    I can't believe how much better that cross body bag looks without the label. It's transformed!
    What has happened to the weather. I'm trying to make the best of it, (carpe diem!), but I want the sun back! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Annie!
      I wasn't going to watch any of the Glasto footage as it makes me even sadder that I'm not there.
      That label was awful, wasn't it? I'm glad it unpicked easily!
      The forecast is looking a bit brighter for next week, I'm trying to decide what to wear on our National Trust trip later, we're expecting a bit of everything today by the sounds of it! xxx

      Delete
  15. You are doubly blessed (or a practising witch!! 💚💚) - I never see finds like yours in charity shops up here 😞

    Your garden is looking fabulous, all your hard work is definitely showing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I was up in The Lakes I found an amazing early Biba midi dress! xxx

      Delete
  16. Those snake sandals are divine. What a productive and enjoyable weekend you have had. And such fabulous charity shop treasures. Have a great week Vix. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fab? The blingy snake caught my eye and I was amazed to discover the Pierre cardin logo when I got home! xxx

      Delete
  17. I had to double check the blog dates when I noticed a third day was coming! You lie such a vibrant life without festivals, but I'm sorry things are still not moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a bit naughty not posting on Satuurday but it would have been a sloppy post if I had!
      Things are easing up and there's plenty of things we can do but the pre-booking and apps take the spontaneous joy away. Here's to the next government annoucemnet being a bit more positive! xxx

      Delete
  18. You know how to live! Tea and Jaffa cakes in the garden...such decadence!

    What fabulous hauls you found in the chazzas. The Agnes b dress is my favourite followed by the wonderful Hovis bread tin. Will you use it for bread or will it become a planter? I found a lovely deep pot in the Sally Army which I planned to use as a planter but OH claimed it for a curry/soup pot so we used our old curry/soup pot for a planter instead! The owl mugs looked beautiful and as if they would be very comfortable in the hand. Those Portuguese tiled steps are stupendous.

    What a shame about Glastonbury: never mind, next year. Your postcard from Lily was very sweet.

    Lovely bit of mending!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, who needs Champagne & strawberries when you can have Jaffa cakes?
      That Agnes B dress is incredible, I've never seen that label in a chazza before and looking at the way it's been made I can understand why its so expensive.
      I quite fancy that Hovis tin as a shelf but I think Jon's got his eye on it for bread-making. Fancy your OH nicking your new pot before you got a chance to plant it out.
      We might have a camping weekend with Lily over the Summer - fingers crossed! xxx

      Delete
  19. wow, such a fabulous post (another one!), I love to see you in your blue dress with these amazing brown boots and cool hat!, and love even more (if possible) your purple kaftan which is one of my favourite ones ever! ;DDD
    Also love to see some of your finds in the chazzas, so many delightful pieces!. Totally understand your love for tiles, particularly portuguese tiles!
    Your garden is looking more and more fabulous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that kaftan and her sister which is the twin of yours! xxx

      Delete
  20. The owl mugs are wonderful - I love mid-century modern pottery and have been gradually accumulating pieces of fiestaware (the new stuff - you can't eat off of the vintage pieces because of the lead in the paint). The colours are beautiful.
    Agnes B pieces are VERY expensive so I'm surprised you found one in a charity shop. I would love to have a snoop around one of the charity shops in your neighbourhood. Ours are mostly full of cheap crap now with next to no vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You must be missing festivals so much. Maybe you'll get to go to one by the end of the summer? Tho I'm guessing it would be a lot of faff organising one at short notice.

    Those owl mugs are great - such gorgeous colours. I can see why you'd love the tiles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix