Thursday 20 May 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 19th & 20th May, 2021

Shefali Oza, our weather presenter on BBC Midlands Today, said that Wednesday would be the driest day of the week and anyone planning a lie-in ought to be up and out early to make the most of the weather and after my Wii Fit workout and our fruit & yoghurt, we were.

Jon set to work on Gilbert refitting his exhaust pipe, removing the front grille and wiring in the new headlamp, bought to replace the one that fell off & smashed into a million pieces when we got home from Attingham a couple of weeks ago.

Meanwhile, I sewed some more lettuce seeds in another old lampshade and dug up another clump of wild geranium & planted it elsewhere.

Today was the day I would sort out the area in front of the shed earmarked for demolition. Of course, just as I'd started, Shefali was proved wrong and we had to dash inside to shelter from the torrential rain. 

As if by magic the rain stopped as soon as it had started and the sun was shining again and I was able to continue with my mission...with a break for noodles, obviously!


Inspired by Calke Abbey's spectacular plant theatre I'd been inspired to make my own budget version.

Ta-dah! 


This Edwardian stepladder has been in the garden for as long as I can remember and was falling to bits but I couldn't bear to part with it as I adore the original arsenic green paint. I removed the rickety rungs, sawed them down to size and screwed them to the frame to create supports. The shelves were planks salvaged from the woodpile. In the absence of auriculas, I used my potted sempervivums.


The tropical backdrop I've stapled to the shed was one of a pair of something called Scenesetters, large plastic sheets printed with a jungle design, which I bought from a charity shop for 50p a few years ago, always knowing they'd come in useful.  Of course, the vintage Rayburn, car engine and cast iron radiators are still there, I just cropped them out of the photo!


After I'd finished I lounged on the lawn soaking up the afternoon sunshine with my book. While he was making us a cup of tea, Jon received a call from the vaccination centre asking if we could come down on Friday for our second jab. We were originally booked in for a fortnight's time but with the worrying rise of the Indian variant, the NHS are keen to get all of us vulnerable groups done as soon as possible. Obviously, we said yes. 


Tea was a super spicy veg Madras served with masala chips, mango chutney, home-grown coriander and half a garlic nan. Later we drank rum and watched the first two episodes of Scotland's Home of The Year, 2021 (many thanks to Anne for letting me know there was a new series) followed by The Great British Sewing Bee. The previous evening we'd started The Killing which we never saw the first time round as we were in India. I found the book a bit slow going but the series is far better.


On Thursday morning I had a wander around the garden, removing the lids from the water butts in readiness for the forecasted rain. After my Wii Fit session, I swept the rugs in the lounge and caught up with Blogland. When we'd had our breakfast, we headed off to another of our favourite charity shopping towns for a morning of rummaging. 


Mindful of the weather forecast I posed for an outfit photo first. The vintage Indian cotton Adini maxi dress was £3 in one of the charity clearance shops back in 2018, friends found me the 1970s British Mist suede jacket at a car boot sale, the Reiss hat was from eBay and Jon took the Jones the Bootmaker pony skin leopard print boots in part exchange from a festival customer who didn't have enough money knowing I'd love them (I did!)


It had been over a year since we'd last visited this Black Country town and two of our regular chazzas had closed down reducing the total of charity shops to eight. The £1 charity clearance shop is usually mad busy but due to Covid restrictions only five customers are allowed in a time, we had to queue to get in but what bliss to have the rails almost to ourselves! All the shops had sanitiser available and absolutely everyone wore masks, although most people found it hard sticking to the one-way signs (including us!) 


What we bought: 1940s worsted wool gents collared waistcoat; 1970s jumper by Whim!; 1980s black cashmere & wool overcoat by Horne Brothers; English-made Harrington jacket; 1960s Welsh Woollens coat; Dedicated organic cotton fair-trade shirt (£79 on their website - Jon's keeping it) .....Sorry about the gloomy lighting, it was too wet to contemplate outdoor photos.


1970s Missoni-esque cardi (I'd keep this if I wore knitwear!); Duffer of St George sweatshirt; 1980s Italian-made cotton leisure shirt; 1970s Dunn & Co Harris Tweed jacket (now Jon's); 1980s lined mohair & wool mini skirt by Charlotte Halton (early River Island); 1970s St Michael gents smoking jacket.


I found this bespoke gents jacket in amongst the womenswear. The quality of the fabric stood out a mile, 71% virgin wool, 16% silk and 13% linen with a silk lining printed with Converse boots, embroidered with the previous owner's initials and complete with a pocket square. When I researched the label when I got home I nearly fell off my chair, this jacket currently retails at £1,500 (HERE)

The second fabulous wrist adornment in less than a week - this hammered silver bangle was £1 - it's a keeper!


It's lovely to return to our old routine, a couple of hours of rummaging, getting home and tipping up the charity shop bags on the lounge floor and having a good look at everything before slinging it in the machine and hanging it all up to dry. While we were eating our noodles, Izzy the postman knocked with a parcel containing a rheum palmatum (ornamental rhubarb), which we'd been mesmerised by during last week's visit to Upton House (HERE). There are lots of plant nurseries selling their wares on eBay and well worth a look if you're after something specific.

Upton's ornamental rhubarb, not ours!

 Braving the wind and rain we planted it near the pond. Jon threatened to bury me if I didn't behave but I reminded him that if the flat-earthers were to be believed, I was microchipped from my first Covid jab and the government would easily be able to track me if I went missing.


Tea was a beetroot salad with a vegetable frittata. We'll be watching more of The Killing and a couple more episodes of Scotland's Home of the Year later.

See you soon!


56 comments:

  1. lol microchipped by our vaccine - love it! I have a brother whose borderline flat earther and anti vaccine! have had both mine, am so grateful. That ornamental rhubarb is fabulous it looks like it's going to be larger than life. I remember childhood days wearing rhubarb leaves and thinking I was a fairy (it obviously stuck!) I think the plant theatre is fun (wouldn't be able to fit one in my titchy garden-but I am keen on garden roofs and would like to make my shed a mini version. The Killing looks good, havent watched it - both the progs I am watching at the mo/mentioned b4 are brilliant if you want who-dun-it suspense (ref Innocent I reckon hubby done it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the Pfizer jab. When the nurse downloaded my share from the little bottle it did occur to me that if she missed my microchip someone would get two. Then I thought, if the worst happened the last jab out of the bottle could contain all 5!

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't it be brilliant if we were all microchipped? That way anyone who travelled abroad would have to stay at home and there would be no spread of variants. I'm going to have to have a word with BoJo - or maybe he's monitoring me right now!
      The rhubarb wings made me smile. We had a huge one in our last house, it looked almost jurassic, the leaves are incredible.
      I found a company selling those pre-seeded mats with sedums and wildflowers, it's too expensive for an area like the one we're growing but a shed shouldn't be too expensive.
      So much good stuff to watch at the moment. xxx

      Delete
    3. Hello, Maureen! That made me laugh! I hope the nurse gave my vial a good shake, I'd hate to have five microchips. It's bad enough going through airport security with my prosthetic hip! xxx

      Delete
  2. I just love all the things you do with your garden. The micro chip thing is big here also. We just can't get rid of crazy can we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! As long as we continue to outnumber the crazies humanity should survive! xxx

      Delete
  3. That's a great use for an old ladder.
    The ornamental rhubarb looks otherworldly, in the best way.

    I watched the killing after having major surgery so I really want to re-watch it sometime when I don't have a head full of pain medication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would have been a crime to chuck that ladder away.
      After my hip replacement I was incapable of absorbing anything more taxing than a daytime chat show. The Killing is fantastic, give it another go. xxx

      Delete
  4. Evening there clever Vix! Love the plant theatre! You really do put your ideas gleaned from your NT visits into practice. Looks great. You must have had a ball at the chazzas and I like the sound of having the rails almost to yourselves you got lots of goodies and that cuff is definately a keeper. That ornamental rhubarb is like something from another planet. I have not known a May like this rain for the last three weeks here. Have a fab evening Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Shaz! Have you built an ark yet? What weather! At least it's working wonders on some of my new plants, the rhubarb is looking very happy in it's boggy bit of ground! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ooooooooohhhhhh that plant theatre, Vix, and also your version of it.... LOVE-LOVE-LOVE!! My mind is whirling!!! :-D I adore the halter crop-top and skirt you wore, to garden in. Who is prettier... the posies or you!! I think I know what Jon would say. Have a wonderful day, my friend. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Andrea! It's so empowering to create something out of complete junk! xxx

      Delete
  6. Another wonderful start to my morning. You’ve enticed me to try and find a poster of Auriculas to put in my bedroom. Another week and we are officially winter but while it’s still warm during the day the mornings are freezing. I love how you spend so much time in the garden . Jon seems very handy With Gilbert. Was he a mechanic before you both went into business? Mind you I should be asking if you were a builder ! You seem so capable with the saw. The ornamental rhubarb is awesome I have never seen one. Love the food photos. Means I have to have breakfast. Just sandwiches made by the cook last night but she did make me a lovely poached chicken breast (sorry ) with onions, leeks, celery ,sand rice for dinner last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whata great idea to put a poster up of your favourite Auriculas, you can enjoy their beauty all day long!
      Jon was a musician. He takes after his late father who could turn his hand to anything! xxx

      Delete
  7. Hooray about your second jabs, Vix! That's fantastic. I was shopping along with you - what a DEAL on that windowpane jacket! I see Jon's nabbed the good stuff (I am always bringing stuff home for L). Why don't I find beautiful silver cuffs like that??

    Love that tropical clear panel, and your creative re-use of the Edwardian ladder - just brilliant! I want to hang out in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men's gear is often much better quality than the women's in our chazzas. There's several premiership football teams in the area and we often assume the posh clothes come from the players.
      Come and hang out in my garden and we can go cuff shopping together! xxx

      Delete
  8. I've had my second jab appointment brought forward as well to this Saturday morning at 8.12 am! so no lie in for me. I'll be glad to get it done and dusted. It was lovely to have that day of sunshine yesterday pity it couldn't have lasted a bit longer. I am going to have a trawl around a few charity shops tomorrow morning and see if I can find anything amazing - will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the two-jab club, it's lovely when you're in! xxx

      Delete
  9. I love the ladder and layout of your sempervivums. I wish I had just 3 of your pots. We often refer to them as hen and chicks here. You have so many and they look fabulous. Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ranee, thank you so much! A huge amount of people smashed up their terracotta pots after the introduction of plastic in the 1960s. Such a shame, even without a plant in them they are a work of art! xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm always amazed to see how stylish you look when gardening. Love that photo of you with the shovel. I'm happy to hear about you receiving the second dose of vaccine. It should open more possibilities, with travelling and all.
    The outfit with the maxi and the vintage coat is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! That was a lucky shot, I've usually got twigs in my hair and a dirt-streaked face! xxx

      Delete
  11. Yes we too have a relative who is an ant Vaxer. He believes the vaccination is so the government can put an implant into your arm which means they will be able to control the populace. Such nonsense! I hope you are enjoying The Killing, Sarah Lund is my favourite character in all of the Scandi Noir detective series closely followed by Saga of The Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get your head round how people are more prepared to believe far flung conspiracy theories than reality. Too much time on their own, I reckon!
      I'm loving The Killing, Sarah's dogged determination to solve the crime at the expense of her personal life is very much like how Saga works, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  12. Anti Vaxer not an ant Vaxer, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking ant Vaxer - small and insignificant! xxx

      Delete
  13. Few years ago, I was a regular - reading your blog.. but then I moved to Instagram.. I wasn’t able to find you there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya. I tried IG but it wasn't for me. x

      Delete
  14. So many people actually believe we are being microchipped with the vaccine, how silly is that?! I know you don't have a cell phone but the majority of people do. They track every move we make, they don't need to implant us with a microchip.

    All I can say is that you work spectacular magic with your wardrobe and in the garden - you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for those kind words, Martha!
      The anti-vaxxers convinced of the micro-chip theory, aren't they? I always say the same to them, you've got a mobile phone, you're tracked the minute it's turned on! xxx

      Delete
  15. Love your plant theatre. I totally get how you don't want to part with antiques - even if they're a bit (!) rickety. My jab is awaiting me but as I've been under the weather, it will have to wait a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there's something almost alive about antiques, it seems a crime to throw away something just because it no longer serves iits original purpose. xxx

      Delete
  16. The more I see plant theatres, the more I want to make one of my own. It’s going on the to do list. Isn’t it lovely to get out and do normal things, your chazzers haul is excellent, especially that custom made jacket. It would be just up Philip’s street.
    Wait until you see the haul I got from the antique centre the other day. Honestly we just can’t help ourselves. I no sooner get rid of a load of stuff than I’m loading up again. It’ll have to wait though as Jill is here now and we’ve plans afoot, including Grayson Perry’s people’s exhibition tomorrow. Very excited xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love plant theatres and was desperate to make one of my own. They'd be a really good thing for a small garden as you could attach shelves to a wall or the shed, couldn't you? I bet Philip's got an old stepladder stashed away somewhere!
      That jacket is a dream, I can't understand anyone chucking it out unless it was an angry partner after a row!
      I'm excited about your antique centre trip, I loved your Grayson pictures! xxx

      Delete
  17. Love what you have done with your plants they are very pretty. You are doing very well with your chazza hauls!!
    I am starting tomorrow, mum has told me that a couple have not opened up pre covid. So I am busy getting on with my contacts but many of them are not in business anymore pre covid which is a shame.
    You are doing well with your garden !!
    My sister is visiting from leeds tomorrow as I don’t know if I can get the time to visit her this time. Which I was hoping to this time. She is bringing xmas presents as I posted mine. So fun for us!! Take care and keep safe love and huggs Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There does seem to be even more tat in the shops than ever. I'm exhausted after wading through a wall of Primarni!
      Such a shame that so many of the chazzas are suffering the effects of Covid. We spotted a new one when we were driving back from our favourite shopping town a fortnight ago so I'm hoping Jon will be up for a trip out this week so i can check it out.
      I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time catching up with your family, such a treat for you after so long. xxx

      Delete
  18. We had a fab day on Wednesday. It did rain heavily but not until after 5pm.

    I love your plant theatre - how clever and wonderful use of recycling. Perhaps you might start charging entrance fees for a guided garden tour in the future? Or even take part in 'Open Gardens' weekend? I visited a wonderful domestic garden as part of that scheme just a few streets away from our house - and we brought home some plants, too!

    Fabulous Adini dress and the jacket is lovely. The hat set it all off beautifully.

    It is so nice to be able to do routine things again like your chazza rummage. What a good haul you got! Love the cuff; 2 in one week is pretty good going!

    Have a great weekend
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can deal with rain in the evening, it drives me mad when it interferes with the day. This weekend is looking good though, hooray to that!
      I'd love to go to one of those open garden thingys. We missed one last weekend, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for posters. xxx

      Delete
  19. :-DDDD
    damn´- can´t "forget" the BW in the woods now he´s vaccinated.....
    the sempervivums on the ladder look great - good job. and you found fomidable stuff in the chazza - the jacket!
    and another cool cuff for you too.......
    you look very chic in the indian dress with elegant hat, vintage jacket and fab boots!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't get away with anything any more now we're tracked - haha! Don't these people realise they're carrying a tracking device with them all the time every time they turn on their mobile phone?! xxx

      Delete
  20. First of all, splendid news on getting your second jabs earlier. I hope all went well and there will be no side effects. Jos his getting his second one tomorrow, and today, I finally got my invite: first jab on June 4 and second on July 9. I'm sure you can imagine my relief!
    I'm completely bowled over by Calke Abbey's plant theater - and those Auriculas made me swoon! - and I'm loving your stepladder version of Sempervivums too. What a great idea.
    I'm glad to hear you're slowly but surely returning to your old routines. There's nothing like a good rummage and the excitement of finding treasure.
    You're looking gorgeous in both of your outfits, by the way. And there's something to be said for being microchipped ... if it's good enough for cats :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you've got your dates for the jab and that Jos's second one is imminent. I think you'll feel a lot more positive about things after you get yours, I know we did.
      Calke Abbey is an absolute wonder, there's inspiration on every corner. I knew I could incorporate that rotten stepladder into the garden somehow.
      Microchipped cats! that made me laugh! Just think, if anyone finds us wandering on the streets they can take us to a vet and we can find our way home! xxx

      Delete
  21. Your garden theatre is fabulous.
    I have my second vaccine next Thursday.
    Our little town was on the news last week as one of the hotspots but as I work in schools and with vulnerable groups I test myself twice a week.
    Just got back from a lovely trip to the lakes and enjoying my blog catch-up.
    Have a great weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These variants could strike up anywhere, it's certainly acted as a reminder for the hesitant to get their jabs round here, the centre has been innundated. Good luck with your second one, hopefully you'll have no issue at all, just like us. xxx

      Delete
  22. Thoroughly enjoy your posts! Hello from Utah. My second Covid shot made me super tired but only for a day... your garden is a joy. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary! I'm glad you're second jab didn't make you feel too rough. Is it a good feeling to know that we're on our way back to normality? xx

      Delete
  23. Vix, I absolutely LOVE your Sempervivum Ladder Theatre!!! You should do a video for Gardener's World. The ornamental rhubarb looks like something from Little Shop of Horrors. I 'd watch my step around that thing. I've got a whole collection of 'The Killing' scandi style jumpers, or 'ootie flootie gurden wear' as I inappropriately call it ;) Have a great weekend. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lulu! Jon thought it was a bit mad when I explained what I wanted to do but he likes what I made!
      Ootie Flootie floor wear! Those jumpers looking very becoming on Sarah Lund and I bet they do on you as well. x

      Delete
  24. I love the plant theater. Nice bright use for the old ladder. That jacket was quite the find. Congrats on vaccination two. We can signal space together with our lazer beam eyesight-another winning theory from the antivax brigade, but I do exaggerate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! We can be tracked from space now, there'll never be another kidnapping again, we can all be found! xxx

      Delete
  25. Fancy getting rid of a bespoke jacket like that, nice find for you though! It's good to be able to get back to normal a bit.
    The plant theatre is so striking and I like your take on it too, and that backdrop. The ornamental rhubarb is going to look stunning. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't some folk strange?
      That rhubarb is enjoying all this rain, it looks very healthy! xxx

      Delete
  26. I'm lusting for the Missoni-esque cardi! Our spring temps are almost tidal: AC at mid-day, cool enough for one bar on the heather in the evenings.

    The Upton ornamental rhubarb would also be welcomed on my patio in a pot. As Goody notes, it's got an otherworldly presence that would furnish an appropriate backdrop to my Egyptian walking onions -- and the hordes of 17-year locusts.

    Please convey my kudos to Master Mechanic Jon for his skill in wiring Gilbert's lights! I once drove an ancient 3/4 T Ford pick-up (with a stiff suspension) that had been rewired by my father to feature a "power board": literally a board onto which were mounted toggle switches for the lights. Yes. Well, I paid more for the tires than I did for the truck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, I only learnt about Egyptian Walking Onions on Sunday after watching a gardening programme and have been searching for a supplier, they look amazing.
      Gilbert's old elecrics sound similar to your truck. He didn't know much about mechanics until he started buying VWs! xxx

      Delete
  27. Great news on having your second jabs!, you'll be doubled microchipped so totally tracked mwhaha, you've made me laugh!
    You look fabulous in your maxi skirt and crochet top, so summery!. Best gardening outfit ever. And so lovely in your suede jacket and fab hat, rocking it!
    Lovely revamp of this old ladder, its colour is actually stunning. Making the most of what you already have! Love it!
    So lovely that you're back in the chazzas and purchasing so many delightful pieces, this jacket is Amazing!, and the silver bangle is totally You!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll never get lost with all these secret tracking devices the government had injected me with! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix