Sunday 16 May 2021

The Distancing Diairies - 15th & 16th May, 2021

Jon was first up on Saturday morning, making tea and bringing it back to bed where we lay, read and listened to the rain pitter-pattering on the window panes until the lads demanded his attention. I stripped and changed the bed, loaded the washing machine and joined Jon in the kitchen for sausage sandwiches. 


Despite the on-off rain, I spent the morning in the garden, emptying the compost bin, wheeling it down to the rockery I'd cleared at the front of the house yesterday and forking the compost into the existing soil. 



Meanwhile, Jon, not happy with the black netting we'd used to screen the garden from the street, stapled some military camo net he'd found on eBay over the top. I planted the rockery up with cranesbill (aka wild geranium) which grows like a weed in our garden along with some nasturtiums & sunflowers I'd grown from seeds aka free plants! Jon had come up with a plan for the dog/schoolkid barrier for the front of the house, rummaged through the woodpile for something suitable and started sawing.


After a coffee, we checked the live feed for the council tip and saw that it was empty (hardly surprising given the weather) so loaded the van with the sacks of garden waste and drove across town to dispose of them. Back at home, I emptied the cloche containing nasturtium seedlings, potting some into modules and planting the rest around the garden. Jon filled the space with tomato plants and gherkins freeing up some room on the kitchen windowsill for more seeds.

By now we were damp and muddy so we called it a day - these photos of the stuff currently growing in the garden looked a lot more attractive than we did! We enjoyed a super fiery Goan veg curry made from a spice kit Jon had spotted on offer in the supermarket.


Highly recommended!


I bought this vintage Indonesian batik kaftan from a charity shop ages ago, it was in the Kinky Shed but I decided it would be perfect for lounging around in....so I borrowed it.


Whilst Jon watched the FA Cup final, I spent an hour on ancestry following the branch of Jon's paternal great-great uncle, Richard Hartshorne, and found more notable relatives. His 11 x great grandfather, Sir Francis Ottley (1600 - 1649) was a Royalist MP, the military governor of Shrewsbury during the Civil War and later served as the High Sheriff of Shropshire. 

The Ottley family C.1636


The Ottley family were part of Shropshire's landed gentry. The family owed their status to wealth made as merchants in Shrewsbury with the monopoly of the finishing of Welsh cloth. They bought Pitchford Hall in 1473 which, these days, is available as a holiday rental HERE (if you're loaded)

Pitchford Hall, Shropshire

Francis's son, Sir Richard Ottley (1626 - 1670)  was born on 5th August meaning he shared his birthday with Jon (his 10x great-grandson). Like his father, Richard served as a Royalist politician and was employed as a gentleman of the privy chamber to Charles II, a position only available to the noble-born. He fought as a youth in the English Civil War, hopefully without the pearl earring and lace collar. 

Sir Richard Ottley as a 10-year-old 

Richard's daughter, Dorothy Ottley (1558 - 1636) married Thomas Lee (1551 - 1620) and lived in the Lee family's ancestral home, Coton Hall in Bridgnorth in Shropshire. Thomas's nephew, Colonel Richard Lee (1617 -1674) emigrated from Shropshire to Virginia in 1636 where he prospered in tobacco. Nicknamed The Immigrant, by the time of his death he was the largest landowner in Virginia with 13,000 acres and was said to have been the richest man in the state. 

Colonel Richard Lee, Jon's ninth cousin

 Richard Henry Lee, another descendent, was one of the signatories of the American Declaration of Independence, whilst Robert E. Lee (Richard's 3x great-grandson) was commander of the Confederate States Army and his 2 x great-grandson was Zachary Taylor (1784 - 1850), the twelfth president of the United States - I'm not sure what relation they are to Jon but they must share some DNA. Coton Hall remained in the Lee family for over 500 years, only changing hands after Harry Lancelot Lee died in 1831. It's currently up for sale (HERE) but at £2million it's well out of our price range.

LEFT: Robert E Lee  RIGHT: Zachary Taylor

The more ancestry research I do, the more I wonder where all the money went! 

Coton Hall, Bridgnorth

We spent the evening drinking rum and watching the Dutch cop series Floodland, wonderfully dark, damp and gloomy and co-starring the wonderful Monic Hendrickx from compelling Dutch crime drama, Black Widow. Jasmine Sendar, who plays Inspector Tara Dessel, is fantastic, too


On Sunday morning I went for a walk around the garden before bringing mugs of tea back to bed and reading till 8.30am. We had toast for breakfast, had the Andrew Marr Show on in the background whilst we pottered about cleaning and compiling our Wilko shopping list. We arrived at the charity shop just as it opened, handed over our bag of donations and spent half an hour rummaging to an Armand Van Helden soundtrack - pure joy. The next stop was Wilko where we purchased grass and wildflower seeds, garden netting and a tub of wood treatment.


Charity shop karma - donate and be rewarded! Today's finds were a 1960s handmade lace coat, a 1950s day dress, a 1970s super funky maxi dress, a 1970s Indian block printed wraparound skirt and a printed cotton leisure shirt. Jon's earmarked the shirt for Greek holidays, I shall be adding the skirt to my wardrobe, taking the total number of Indian block print skirts in my collection archive to fourteen, a much nicer number than 13.


Technically I didn't find this cuff, another shopper did, kindly handing it to me saying that it was just my style. The nails are Barry M's Beach Club in a velvet finish, I painted them last night in front of the TV. 


The day had started dry and sunny but by the time we'd had our lunchtime noodles the sky had clouded over and it was looking like the forecast for torrential rain and thunder was correct so, after I'd washed the purchases and hung them up in the utility room, I posed for a quick outfit photo. I've always felt like a goddess in this 1970s cotton-gauze dress, made in India by Mayur but I feel even better wearing it with the vintage cotton slip I bought from the chazza last week as opposed to my usual 1980s nylon ones which I donated back to the shop today.


Despite the ominous skies, we planted out the dahlias and I managed to turn over half of the area outside the gates in preparation for sowing our wildflower lawn later in the week. Jon had just called me in for a coffee when the thunder and torrential rain started. I don't think we'll need to water those dahlias in!


Tea was Ryvita, cheese and pickles eaten off our laps whilst watching a documentary on Tutankhamun, we know how to live! Later it'll be more Floodland, although looking out of the window, it looks like we might be able to recreate it in Walsall.

See you soon!
 

45 comments:

  1. Again, such lovely greenery. What a treat to see photos of so many of your plants unfurling. So glad you had a charity shop adventure and resulting treasures. I especially like that lace coat. That cuff and yours rings are gorgeous with that velvet finish nail color.

    Now I’m curious about Jon’s Virginia extended family and their descendants. Great research!

    I’ll enjoy warm sunshine on your behalf �� - Cozy Cottage in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching the plants unfurling and seeds springing into life, it is a beautiful and exciting time of the year! Charity shopping and the gradual retrun to normality is such a treat, I do enjoy these weekly outings and it's even better whan I find a few bits and pieces.
      Isn't it exciting about Jon's American branch of the family? I think we ough to do a USA roadtrip one day! xxx

      Delete
  2. What is the secret to your beautiful manicures? With all your garden work, doesn't it chip? Love the blog and all the photos.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails as a base coat, two applicaions of Barry M and a clear top coat. I always wear waterproof builder's gloves when I'm working in the garden, too! x

      Delete
  3. The garden is really coming along and I like the way the military camo net looks. Love the kaftan you borrowed from the Kinky Shed, that's the kind of thing I live in when I'm at home. It is a little odd that Sir Richard Ottley has an earring and lace collar. I hope the rain will let up soon, I know how you love the sunshine. Cheers! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! In Britain from the middle of the 16th Century it was fashionable for wealthy families to dress boys in similar clothing to girls and they'd have a breeching ceremony when they were old enough to manage the fastenings on breeches and start dressing in male clothes. It makes for very interesting family portraits!
      I'd love the rain to let up soon, it's getting boring now! xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Vix! Loving your gardening posts! Boy ya'll cleaned up the area outside of your gate so fast! Can't wait to see what you do to it and watch it grow! So interesting to see the General Robert E. Lee, since my Mother was from Petersburg, Virginia and he had a lot of history there! And your Jon is related!!Had a chuckle with the earring and lace collar with Sir Ottley!I am a lover of lace and that collar looks like a piece of art! I am hoping to finally hit some garage sales around here over the Memorial Weekend, have not been to one in over a year. My sisters will be coming the last week end of June and the 3 of us will hit a nearby town which has a yearly city wide garage sales, we always find treasures and pack a picnic lunch and have such a good time. One of my sisters I have not seen for over a year due to covid lockdown, so we are looking for a grand time! Stay safe and happy gardening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chrystal! Lovely to hear from you! I'm not a procrasrinator, when I decided something needs doing I have to get it done straightaway, it drives Jon mad! I can't wait to get that lawn seed down and see green shoots of grass sprouting.
      Jon's really interested in reading more about his ancestors now, this ancestry hobby really does make history come to life.
      Your plans for the holiday weekend sound fab and very exciting, I can just imagine the squeals of joy when you see your sister for the first time since the lockdown! I don't need to tell you to have a fantastic time, I know you will! xxx

      Delete
  5. A 'fiery Goan curry' and a scarlet vintage Indonesian batik kaftan sounds just the ticket for a cold, gray day in May, as does 'military camouflage' for the privacy screen. Jon might also consider dressing the garden mannequin in a 'Nam era ghillie suit. Pop that out front holding one of your "only louts litter" sign: that should keep the area pristine!

    Edging off topic and into the jungle of garden supplies, have you access to Zoo Doo? Our market gardeners wage war with fruit and salad loving deer. Some hang bars of Lifebuoy soap on trees and fences; others spread Zoo Doo/big cat scat as a smelly perimeter barrier. (Have heard it even repels coyotes!) Might work with pups looking for a convenient potty spot?

    The Ottley clan's story would rival The Crown. Yes, it is a pity about the money -- but at least Jon escaped the Ottley nose (although it did not hinder young Dorothy's marriage into the Lee family, the royalty of the American Confederacy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food and garments from steamy exotic climes were definitely the order of the day faced with such run-of-the-mill British weather. I like the idea of a military clad mannequin, trouble is there's two chaps that walk past the house every day dressed in full-on camo, I reckon she'd be stripped naked in seconds once they'd spotted her outfit!
      I shall investigate soap as a deterent, anything to keep invaders off the lawn no matter how odd it looks.
      The Ottley's were an odd looking bunch, the Lee side looked far better! xxx

      Delete
  6. The pansy are beautiful. Anyhow I understand George Washington or possible his wife Martha had family connection with Robert E Lee.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the kind faces pnasies have!
      I've just looked at Robert E Lee, and you're right, he married George Washington's adopted great-grand daughter, not a blood relative but a very distinguished name to have on the family tree! x

      Delete
  7. what a fabulous cuff! a real prize to have found that. Yours/Jons family tree is incredible, I only found few bricklayers on mine but will go back to it later in the year (too much going on here to get any peace and quite) do they bring these pictures up for you? if so it is impressive that so much data is available. I have a wrap skirt exactly the same as the one you have found and wear it a lot - considering they are about 50 years old it says a lot for their quality that they havent fallen apart! Jon's camo netting is a brilliant idea. I have garden envy, everything in yours looks so beautiful (including you - that lovely dress was just made for you) - have a good week, Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that shopper kind to pass it over to me? You meet the nicest people in chazzas, I suppose it's because we're all on the save wavelength.
      There's a few branches of my tree that have nothing other than coalminers and wives who did "unpaid domestic work" centuries of drudgery, dirt! I know you've got some interesting people in your tree! Just you wait!
      How fab that we have the same skirt. This stood out a mile from all the limp high street stuff. They just seem to get better with age - like us!
      Have a lovely week! xxx

      Delete
  8. Your garden is looking wonderful, so many lovely plants. I think it's going to get drier from this coming weekend so I shall have to get out and do some tidying. The weeds will have loved all this rain.
    We quite often use those Spice Tailor kits for our curry as they are not too sweet like some jarred sauces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would be lovely to have a break from this rain, I'll be growing webbed feet soon.
      That kit made a nice change, really fiery - a reminder of the wonderful food we eat in Goa. xxx

      Delete
  9. The red kaftan looks gorgeous on you and I'm sure it's perfect for lounging. The blue, purple and white kaftan dress is gorgeous as well.
    Jon's family tree is full of wonders. The Immigrant sounds like a fascinating personality. The historical portraits are always interesting, aren't they? This line made me laugh: 'He fought as a youth in the English Civil War, hopefully without the pearl earring and lace collar.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! I love lounging around in a kaftan!
      I'm fascinated by historical portraits too, how certain features are played up according to the fashionable look of the day. xxx

      Delete
  10. The garden is showing lots of lovely colour. I wonder if it’s colder up north as it’s nowhere near as colourful. Lots of ferns, which I love, unfurling in our plot.. Philip managed to dig in a new rhododendron we recently picked up, just be for the heavens opened again this morning. I quite like a rainy day, it’s means I can concentrate on indoor activities without the pull to go outside.
    That day dress is lovely and so is that curry. It’s making me hungry.
    I’ve got a zoom meeting at 2pm so I better get my creations together ready. There’s only me with a northern accent in the group. Even I laugh at it. Enjoy your afternoon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems especially colourful this year, it must be all the rain! I lov watching the ferns unfurl, there's a lazy one in the fern garden we built outside the gates, he's still all curled up and sleepy!
      Jon's always attracted to rhodos when we're in National Trust places, we keep saying we should treat ourselves to one next time we're at the garden centre.
      Hope you enjoyed your Zoom, I think JOn & I are the only people left who haven't done it! xxx

      Delete
  11. totally love the huge silver cuff!!!
    a nice cotton slip/petticoat is much more suitable for your beautiful indian cotton dresses! the dainty one you´r wearing here is awesome btw.....
    interesting and strange how jon´s family tree is meandering through history. maybe there is a treasure chestburried somewere???? ;-)
    planting out wild geranium which is growing well in your garden is the best idea - this way it works guaranteed. i´m still not seeding the nasturtiums in fear of a late may frost like last year.......
    yummy spicey food! sadly i´m the only one in the household who likes that.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you love a huge silver cuff as much as I do!
      That cotton slip I found in the charity shop last week might not be the most exciting thing in the world but it's made my cotton dresses so much lovelier to wear.
      Wild geraniums, bronze fennel, Oriental poppies, ferns and crocosmia spring up everywhere in our garden. If I see them in National Trust gardens I make a note of what grows alongside them as their needs much be similar.
      Your man doesn't like spice? That's tricky! xxx

      Delete
  12. Afternoon Vix! I know what you mean about the weather I keep dashing out today in between showers. I thought of you as I was using the "dooberlacker to get the pavers in better shape. Got the garage cleared out the recycling area done and some gardening done in between the downpours. You are wearing that beautiful blue cotton-gauze dress I do love that one. the nail colour this week rocks! I often wonder about where all the money has gone when people have ancestors who were obviously wealthy. As I have said before though I reckon second hand is much more fun. That was kind of the lady to hand that stunning cuff over! Have a lovely afternoon Vix, sun is back out so back outside I go. Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Shaz! Dowing tolls and running back inside every half-an-hour certainly keeps us fit! I had my dooberlacker out last week, such a brilliant invention!
      I'm even more drwan to blue than ever at this time of year, it must be something to do with the light.
      It's looking like a lovely day, have fun! xxx

      Delete
  13. what! I am back again how did I miss the post of you going to Upton and all the work you did in front of the house? Well I suppose we were going through stuff in the attic as it was pouring and that was a big job but still. Anyway just wanted to say it too was a glorious post and yeah a wildflower garden sounds great! hugs Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let me distract you from clearing the attic! I always tell myself that a treat like a National Trust trip or a trip to the charity shop makes days of getting dirty in the garden worth it! xxx

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must spell check before posting... :-) I'm humming the ruddy stripper tune now. I do hope you just meant the beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got that tune in my head now, thanks to you! xxx

      Delete
  16. We had truly horrendous weather during the weekend, but still I tried to do some odd jobs in the garden between showers, including stalking the hordes of slugs which have emerged courtesy of the wet weather.
    The Indonesian batik kaftan you borrowed from the Kinky Shed is amazing on you. I wonder if it will end up in your wardrobe now?
    How serendipitous to hear that Jon's ancestors owned Pitchford Hall! I follow a Facebook group called For the Love of Shropshire, and I'd just been reading an item someone had posted on there about Pitchford Hall mere minutes before I read your post!
    I loved Grenslanders (the original title of Floodland) which is actually set in the Dutch/Belgian borderlands. Koen De Bouw, the actor who plays the psychiatrist, lives in the next town to us.
    Great chazza finds: I'm swooning over that funky maxi dress, and how amazing is that cuff! How kind of that fellow shopper handing it to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! this endless rain. We've got a dry-ish day forecast so I'll be cracking on outside as soon as I've had my breakfast. Ugh, slugs! They've demolished Jon's courgettes already, evil things!
      I think I might have to keep the kaftan, I've donated a couple of things to the Kinky Shed so we're even.
      Fancy Pitchford Hall being up for discussion on that forum. It looks like a fantastic place to stay.
      We realy enjoyed Grenslanders/Floodland and seeing bits of Belgium. Fancy Koen De Bouw being a near neighbour, loved in him Salamander, The Team & Bullets.
      Jon's tempted me with a morning of charity shopping tomorrow, I can hardly wait! xxx

      Delete
  17. Gee, why don't I get fellow shoppers bringing ME giant silver cuffs?? I'm so envious of that find! Love that 70s maxi dress and that lace coat! Your matte-finish nails are spectacular!

    Your garden is coming along so well - all those lovely flowers blooming or ready to burst! Love your red dress (it looks like an abstract tiger down the front) and your goddess dress. I have several nylon slips dating back to the 50s - they wear like iron! I rarely see cotton ones, and they tend to ride up under my clothes anyway.

    Where did the money go? seems to be a recurring question with genealogy research! I've never heard of Armand Van Helden - am going to check it out. I've taken to YouTubing classical music while I'm here at work alone.

    Sounds like a fun weekend! Here's to another week...of the same (but hopefully sunnier weather!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more like a social event than a shopping expedition sometimes, I've known a lot of the regular shoppers for years, it's great when they find me stuff!
      I saw a tiger when I looked back at the photo of me in the kaftan, isn't it an odd print?
      Vintage 1950s & 1960s slips are indesctrucible, are really pretty and sell well but I'm such a static-y creature that my hair stands on end when I wear them. My science teacher used to say I'd spontanteously combust one day as watches don't work on me and I used to be able to light a Van de Ggraf generator with my finger!
      We've got a day of sunshine forecast for today, better dust off the bikini! xxx

      Delete
  18. I remain astonished at the amount of nobs (gentry etc - not the other sort!) there were in Jon's family. No family resemblances spotted this time. Why do people always look so grumpy in those old photographs? Perhaps they were forbidden to smile - or had very bad teeth? We'll probably never know...

    We really enjoyed 'Floodland' and we are currently watching 'Before I Die' which is shaping up to be pretty gripping.

    I knew as soon as I saw your chazza finds that you'd keep the skirt; it's gorgeous! Loved the other stuff too. Your kaftan was lovely on you with the blue clogs and the fab blue nail polish to match.

    How the garden grows...

    Have a great week
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both amazed at the things we're unearthing in the family trees, it's utterly fascinating. I suppose the further we go back the more chance there is of us being ralated to the posh & the priviledged especially as it was the norm to have at least seven children. It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that Jon & I are related eventually!
      We enjoyed Floodland. We watched Before You Die a couple of years ago but I see thaty've made an English version, not sure I'm keen on watching that, the original was perfect!
      I gasped when I spotted that skirt, it's hard to find anything made of cotton! xxx

      Delete
  19. The fish curry looks delish, and I adore those pieces you thrifted, especially the maxi dress! I love reading your garden updates.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lovely! No fish in that curry - I'm vegetarian - we used paneer instead! xxx

      Delete
  20. Lovely to see your chazza finds, really fabulous pieces, no wonder you've kept the skirt and the magnificent bracelet (and so lovely when a fellow thrifter hands something to you!). Your fab collection of skirts is Amazing!
    Looking fab in your kaftan (so stunning colour), and the lovely cotton gauze dress, such a gorgeous piece!, you rock it!
    Your genealogic trees are growing fast and high!, lots of interesting branches to explore and lots of famous relatives!. Really amazing!
    Taking notes on this Floodland series!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the olden days BC (before Covid) sharing my charity shopping finds again!
      Floodland was excellent, I think you and the Mr will enjkoy it if you can track it down. xxx

      Delete
  21. The garden looks great. The camo netting was a good call.
    You should definitely see about tracking down some of your relations-you might have some money headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camo netting is so effective and cheap, too!
      Maybe one day I'll unearth a treasure map and discover where all the money went - it's crazy to think both of our families were the landed gentry at one point! xxx

      Delete
  22. That cuff is haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauge!!!!! How nice they pointed it out to you!
    I am glad you got some lovely charity shop items! The Indian skirt is fabulous!
    A cotton slip would be a lovely idea to wear under a dress- you do look glorious in that dress....well all of your dresses make you look amazing!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity shopping is a bit like a social club, I've known so many of the women I meet in there for years and years.
      That cotton slip I found last week had be grinning from ear to ear, such a useful thing to own. I wonder if they even still make such a thing? xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix