Wednesday 4 September 2019

The Season Finale - End Of The Road, 2019



Last Wednesday, after a 12 hour pit stop, we climbed back into the van and headed down south to set up for End Of The Road. Half dead after the six days we'd spent at Towersey we admitted defeat at 7.30 pm, ate a bowl of pasta and collapsed into bed. Traditionally we spend Thursday morning exploring the beautiful Victorian walled gardens of Larmer Tree but, as we were way behind schedule, we had to crack on so we'd be ready for when the public came on site at 5pm. We were rewarded by the wonderfully exotic sight of several of Larmer Tree's resident macaws flying overhead as well as being sporadically serenaded by the cries from the many pet peacocks.

Phew....all done!!



Jeni, a friend from Birmingham, totally rocked this 70s accordion plated kaftan, snaffled from the Kinky rails.
From the moment we opened we were inundated with customers old and new. After the main stage had closed and our final visitor of the night, one of the musicians from headliners Spiritualized* rushed in to buy another of our amazing deadstock 1970s jackets that his fellow band member had bought earlier in the evening, we'd already sold more vintage clothes than we had the entire time we'd been at Towersey.

*Here's a link to my favourite Spiritualized track, Come Together.

Looking seriously bad ass in this 1990s-does-the-1970s fake fur maxi coat

Three of our colourful regulars modelling some of our vintage gloves
Friday, the second day of trading and our third day living in a field in Wiltshire...

Jon's 1960s leisure shirt always gets loads of love - I bought it for him from Moseley Vintage Fair last year

Friday's outfit - my Young Innocent maxi dress accessorised with bare feet and mahoosive sunglasses

This marabou trimmed velvet maxi from our rails fitted Mel like it was made for her!

Jen, one of our Indietracks regulars, found a few vintage pieces to add to her collection and very kindly sent several of her artist friends our way.

Keeping warm in style - the grey vintage fake fur was one of ours

Another regular - loving the 1980s psychedelic linen shirt she'd bought from us on Thursday night

Always brilliant festival outfits from this lot! The cord & denim fake fur trimmed coat was a Kinky purchase the night before


Saturday, the third day of trading....




By the time Saturday afternoon rolled around we realised that neither of us had ventured further than the traders' portaloos since arriving on site at 11am on Wednesday, not that we're complaining - our pitch is right opposite the main stage so we could watch incredible acts like Spiritualised, Michael Kiwanuka, Courtney Barnet and Bodega between customers.


More happy customers!



Looking fabulous in our 1970s hand embroidered blouse

Rocking a deadstock yellow windcheater

Dorothy, eat your heart out!

Sophie looked these 1960s Italian-made fake fur apres-ski boots so much that she left her Docs in our van and walked out in them



On Saturday night we made the executive decision to close early (10pm) and go out for a few hours. What a joy it was - we danced at the forest disco, giggled at people playing ping-pong in the woods, laughed at 1980s power ballads being annihilated in the Karaoke bar, marvelled at the incredible art installations, chatted to customers and were overwhelmed by how many people were out in clothes they'd bought from us over the years.

















 This gorgeous girl (and her equally gorgeous brother) are regular visitors to our stall. 


As you can probably tell from my bizarre outfit, End of the Road is bastard freezing at night time. In addition to my sheepskin hat, alpaca wrist warmers, thermal leggings, Doc Martens and Afghan waistcoat I'm wearing a vintage 1950s padded silk cheong-san I nicked borrowed from the shop rails (it's like going out in a duvet).


By Sunday morning we'd sold so much of our stock that five of our rails were empty and the shop was looking a bit bare so we had a major rejig before opening at 10am. 



It's not a new hat, I swapped it for some vintage gear with our fabulous trader neighbours (and it was fairly traded in Mexico)


Festival fashion, Kinky style - out and about in a 1970s Phool skirt & waistcaot set and a 1960s St Michael Young Miss micro mini

Another Kinky buy - a 1960s suede jerkin and Moroccan leather belt

This 1970s cotton prairie dress by Shelana was one of two vintage dresses off to live in Cornwall




Finally my amazing chiffon dress has found her forever home!

Bassist John-Michael from the incredible Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs left the shop in this footie top - if you like Black Sabbath you seriously need to check them out HERE
Traditionally Sunday can be a slow trading day for us but not at End of the Road. While several people were disappointed that the items they'd fallen for on Thursday night had since sold, a lot more found clothes they'd missed on our jam-packed rails the first time round. By 11pm, when Metronomy finished their headline set, we rolled down the shop front for the final time and realised that we'd sold over half of all our stock.

And that was that, the festival season of 2019 was done and dusted. From trading at Glastonbury for the first time to smashing all records at End of the Road; dealing with the hottest temperatures ever recorded to unseasonably cold weather, gale force winds and biblical amounts of rain; dancing into the night to world famous acts in our festival finery to being evacuated in our nightclothes in the early hours of the morning and selling vintage clothes to everyone from pre-teenage first timers to lifelong enthusiasts, it's been an absolute blast but my personal highlight has to be....


Meeting the National Treasure that is Jarvis Cocker! My life is complete (though I'm not sure he'd say the same after having to listen to mine and my friend Heidi's over excited ramblings!)

See you soon!

54 comments:

  1. What a fabulous way to end the festival season. It’s been a blast for us reading all about it and seeing all your lovely customers in their new outfits. Feels to me like it’s been a fantastic season. Love to you both xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn! I'm so glad I've been brave and asked if I can take some customer photos, the people we meet at festivals are always so lovely. xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow!!!! Everything and everyone looks so fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks vix for the film around your shop , It was lovely to see , that young girl in the gingham dress looks beautiful , Dave loves black sabbath and he asked alexa to play songs by the pigs and he dont like them , It was worth a try though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The women at EotR really love maxi dresses, it was wonderful to keep seeing our dresses walk past over the weekend. xxx

      Delete
  4. Having had the massive pleasure of seeing your stall, I know that it is possible to buy and wear because the item is clean! Enjoy your holiday in Greece, well earned. It won't be long before we have to cope with a month of silence as you enjoy India!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, how wonderful to have a smashing success for the last show/sale of the season. You guys certainly deserve it and more. I'm exhausted now and must take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect end to the season. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was!! I loved that we started with Glasto and end with EotR, my two favourite festivals ever! xxx

      Delete
  7. You guys really went out on a high! Half of your stock!!! FANTASTIC!

    That statuesque blond looks like she walked right off the pages of a fashion magazine.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! We're going to be shopping forever to restock those rails!
      Doesn't she look amazing? If I looked as good with cropped hair I'd get Jon's clippers out right now! xxx

      Delete
  8. Congrats on a successful show. I love seeing all the creative dressers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Theresa! I love festival fashion - so different to the drab clothes people wear at home! xxx

      Delete
  9. your tent looks like a regular store! No wonder you do so good

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still can't believe that you met Jarvis Cocker! Still, I think of your Jon's band, the Charlatans as being up there with Jarvis Cocker- they were all the bands that my friend Sarah introduced me to and she loved them all so they are synonymous in my mind really!!!
    I am SO pleased you did such a roaring trade! Half is truly amazing! I love so many of the things you sold and I really loved the video tour of the stall! I was drooling, I've got to admit!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - Jarvis! One of my friends described his style as "science teacher couture" which is spot on, he certainly rocks the corduroy! xxx

      Delete
  11. What a brilliant end to the season for you.
    Loved the guy in the skirt....lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was!
      I love how many chaps wear skirts (and those utility kilts) at festivals - must be very freeing after trousers! xxx

      Delete
  12. Half your stock! That's amazing, Vix! Congrats to a bang-up ending to the festival season to you and Jon! Of all those bands, the only one I know is Courtney Barnett (love her!). Thanks for all the groov-tastic pictures - what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I'm still in shock!! Courtney is amazing. EotR has a really eclectic line-up, everything from world music, Afro Beat, Country and psychedelia - we never know what's coming next! xxx

      Delete
  13. Hello, again. Glad to hear your final show went out with a bang. All your customers looked beautiful, especially the tall blond sporting that gorgeous suede jerkin and chiffon dress. Also loved that 1970's cotton prairie dress. Both you and Jon look very hip and happy too. Congrats on your success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Suzy! lovely to hear from you again! Doesn't that blonde lady look incredible? I love the contrast between the ultra feminine dress and her super cool cropped hair! xxx

      Delete
  14. Delighted that this season ended so well for you and Jon! Your sheepskin hat is a personal favorite, Vix; however, at this event I'd also admire the lady with the Queen Mary toque alongside the tall gentleman topped with a fez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Beth! It's been a blast - even the few blips along the way make us laugh now!! I love that so many people embrace hat wearing at festivals. xxx

      Delete
  15. Whew! What a long summer it's been for you, and such an eventful one too. I hope you're now both going to have a relaxing winter of resting, restocking and travelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I've been running on gin and adrenaline for far too long, I'm knackered today! Counting the days till Greece! xxx

      Delete
  16. totally fabulous!!!
    what a season indeed! and a very happy end!
    love to see your cool stock worn by real people - kinky melon boutique is THE BEST!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It has been a brilliant Summer and End of the Road was the most perfect ending! xxx

      Delete
  17. I always love your festival accounts, but particularly this one when it comes around every year. Let's face it, you are a real "influencer." And I mean that in the kindest way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've been braver than usual and tried to take more photos of our lovely visitors. Festival fashion is so interesting! xxx

      Delete
  18. Glad you had a brilliant end to a very successful season.Your customers certainly appreciated your well chosen genuine vintage stock and they all wore it beautifully, loved the purple velevet dress with the maribou feathers. Take some time to rest and enjoy the last of warmer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jill! I love it when our customers leave wearing their purchases! xxx

      Delete
  19. I really like that kaftan dress on Jeni, that floral print is so eye-cathcing. You looked divine in your maxi dresses and I like your cold weather proof evening styling. Great way to end the festival season. So cool you got to meet Jarvis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't she look gorgeous in that kaftan with her beautiful blonde hair? xxx

      Delete
  20. What a great way to end the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A proper high! Still can't believe I've met Jarvis! xxx

      Delete
  21. Wow, that looks like one of the very best festival weekends ever! And now the countdown to Corfu begins :) I can't wait (I am vicariously reliving Greece through you until we get back there one day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - not only did we have a brilliant time, we broke all records, I'm still in shock! xxx

      Delete
  22. It must be satisfying to see your clothes worn by some many fabulous people. I know it would be hard for me to part with some beautiful items (if I were a seller), but how lovely to see people rocking unique vintage and second hand items. I had to come back for another look at that floral kaftan pleated dress Jeni wore and I love the green maxi dress Jen wore...and the purple one Mel wore...and I like all the outfits showed here. That floral pink and green chiffon maxi dress is a masterpiece, so great it found a home, the lady wearing it looks stunning. Lucky her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rewarding to see where our clothes end up. I used to only sell online and be forever wondering about what had happened to certain items. We often get people coming back in clothes they bought from us four or five years ago - that's the best kind of sustainable shopping!
      xxx

      Delete
  23. Love the phool outfit! You always meet so many lovely people - not to mention the famous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't he look amazing in his Phool suit? I can't think of a better person to take it home. xxx

      Delete
  24. I absolutely *love* reading about the practicalities of your trading experiences- the good, the bad, and the ugly! Are you aware of any other traders blogging about their work as you do? Yours is all the better for everything else between of course :)

    What are some of your favourite blogs to read? The ones you really look forward to?

    Thanks for being so wonderful... You're a bright spot in the world x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, what a lovely start to my day.
      I'd love to find another blogger who writes about their trading experiences but I've yet to find one, most sellers I follow only sell online!
      I used to have a list of my favourite blogs in my side bar, I keep meaning to update my must-read list. In the meantime if you click on the names of many of the commenters you'll be able to read their blogs. xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for responding - I love what you do.

      Delete
  25. What a great time you had!
    I recognise many of the pieces that you sold from what you've shared on your blog. You're so good at letting things go. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! It was a wonderful end to the festival season!
      I get so much pleasure from meeting the people who buy my vintage clothes. I'm a bit like a librarian, I borrow, enjoy and rehome! xxx

      Delete
  26. What an amazing end to the festival season. End of the Road sounds like a truly magical experience. Loved the video tour and all those photos of your fabulously dressed and happy customers! I can't get over you and Heidi meeting the great Jarvis Cocker!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fab end to the festival season! I still can't believe that I met Jarvis! xxx

      Delete
  27. What an amazing life you lead Vix!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix