Tuesday 13 November 2018

Escape To The Dolls' House - Further Adventures In Lundby Land


Real life? At the moment it's in chaos. Furniture piled up and covered with dust sheets, to-do lists as long as your arm and endless trips to the DIY superstore. Time to escape to the mini world so I'm joining Gunvald for a bottle of Swedish wine.


As promised here's a peep at dolls' house number three, my second 1970s Lundby Gothenburg. Initally I was searching eBay for an extention block to add to my other house but found this house listed locally and won it for a bargainous £20.


I thought I'd pay homage to Lundby's Swedish heritage by decorating the rooms in Josef Frank prints. Frank (1885 - 1967) was Austrian born but after fleeing the Nazis, he adopted Swedish citizenship in the 1930s. This design, Varklockor, was created in 1940.


The Lundby stereo system complete with speakers and stand has to be my favourite piece of furniture, the record player arm actually moves and the smoked glass lid is hinged so it can be closed after use.


Liv's leatherette swivel chair is the coolest thing ever. 


Granny's in the kitchen, She's making a Princess Cake, a traditional Swedish layer cake consisting of alternating layers of airy sponge cake, raspberry jam , pastry cream, and a thick-domed layer of whipped cream. She's topped it with marzipan, to give the cake a smooth rounded top.


Another avocado bathroom suite - this time I've tiled it with black mosiac tiles with a slight metallic sheen.


You've seen Liv and Axel's bedroom before.


I thought I'd sneak in whilst they were out. That's the Can Can, London dress I scored off eBay last week.


The banana leaf salon has been on my blog before HERE.


As has the basement bathroom and young Saga.


Granddad's fixing Sven's Chopper bike. 


Signe's sorting out the laundry in the utility room while Jussi the Boxer looks on.


Signe dreams of running away to the circus and escaping the domestic drugery. She's alway buying vintage circus posters from Tradera (the Swedish equivalent of eBay).



The traditional dining furniture (inherited from the in-laws) needed an injection of funkiness and this rainbow striped wallpaper by Swedish designer L. Pålemo fitted the bill nicely. 



Axel's holding the baby in the living room. He's watching a repeat of Wallander, his favourite Scandi TV crime series after The Bridge.


I've already seen this episode, The Troubled Man, so I'm getting a few tips from my Making Miniatures book.






I made Caroline's dress from a knackered sari and a couple of hair bands - she's planning on wearing it to the office party next month.


Sven's invited Ellias round for tea. He's playing him the latest Abba cassette but Ellias isn't a fan, he prefers Country & Western much to Sven's disgust.




An hour spent playing with my doll's house and my sanity has been restored. I'd better go and check if my paint has dried.

Linking to Patti & the Gang for Visible Monday. See you soon!

45 comments:

  1. The Gothenburg is just too groovy!
    I'm a big fan of Princess cakes & have made a few.
    We had an avocado green bathroom like that in the 70's California faux Spanish villa I grew up in.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have grown up in such a cool house! xxx

      Delete
  2. I feel transported back to my childhood - love it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most gorgeous, eclectic house and it's full of good vibes. You're super-talented at miniatures, and you make all the pieces look like we'd want to use them today. Bravo! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. total escapism - I felt I was there (I was the fly on the wall!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for letting me come and play with your doll's house! It's absolutely gorgeous and so much fun. I could look at all the details for hours. If we ever redo Dove Cottage's bathroom, I'd love to have an avocado bathroom suite! Oh, and I remember having black leatherette swivel chairs in my doll's house, the one my Dad made when I was six. I wish I still had some of that furniture ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These swivel chairs are so groovy, aren't they? They even rotate - far too cool for children to play with!
      I've always liked white bathroom suits but I;d be tempted with an avocado one now! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh it's so gorgeous! I would love to live in this house with the Swedish crew. Is Liv using weights in the bedroom? Is Axel bringing her some booze after her workout?

    The detail is just exquisite I could look at it all day.

    I never had a doll's house as a child and really, really wanted one, so I am living vicariously through yours...

    I love your ebay dress. It looks wonderful on you.

    Hope your week is going well - decorating aside...
    xxx



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Liv's wine glass - Lundby did a set of weights in the 1970s but they're massively sought after and go for a fortune! xxx

      Delete
  7. so lovely!!!
    super cool wallpapers and home dec! but the real fun is your storytelling - i smile from one ear to the other....
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate - I'm delghted that you enjoyed the trip! xxx

      Delete
  8. Love it!! The grooviest house on the block!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tinkering about with miniatures is strangely relaxing I findx
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that is all so lovely and fun. I always laugh at you inserting yourself into the pics (and LOVE that new dress of yours!). Doing something that requires a different part of your brain is very soothing. It helps you focus on being creative, rather than letting the hamster wheel run (and run and run and run). I really enjoy seeing all of your creativity on display with these houses, Vix. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about using different parts of our brain, Sheila - it's so enjoyable just to empty my head and create! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the thought and effort you put into creating livable doll houses - I can totally see you relaxing there lol. Are you sharing your DYI adventures when they are done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd happily live in my doll's houses - they're far tidier than the real thing!
      Yes, I shall share the finished rooms eventually. xxx

      Delete
  12. Your dollhouses are bringing me so much joy-far more than mine ever did back in the 70s. I suppose if I'd been permitted to design the rooms as you have it would have been more enjoyable. Maybe that's the thing about dollhouses-they're better creativity outlets for adults than children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doll's houses are wasted on the young! x

      Delete
  13. OMG, I love it. In fact it's so scandi, love the names, Jussi, I loved Wallander.
    Jag tycker om era hus ( I love your house), it has to be said in Swedish!
    You should make a book about it, I'd buy it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean like. Rushing today! But jag älskar det också!! - I love it too.☺

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the Swedish phrases, Sally! I might have to incorporate them into my next project! xxx

      Delete
  14. We're fellow fans of Wallander (original Swedish version), so I was wondering whether Jussi the boxer had been named after Wallander's dog - it seems I might be right!

    I love the way you have woven a story around what's happening in each room - and that fab record player!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on there, Fran! Jussi was named after Wallander's dog! xxx

      Delete
  15. I want that striped wallpaper in my house!

    I love how you've Photoshopped yourself into the house to play.

    Your attention to detail in these is incredible.

    Signe's dreams of escaping domestic drudgery is very adventurous!

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that striped wallpaper gorgeous? I've just added the name of the designer to the post - it's still in print just in case you fancy doing a wall or two in it! xxx

      Delete
  16. Love seeing your dolls house posts. Can you actually buy authentic mid century dolls house furniture or are those reproductions? And, as usual, am so impressed with your creative talents.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repros - never! Not in my wardrobe, real life house or mini ones!
      These are all the real thing - Ebay's brilliant for Lundby furniture and there's some fantastic Lundby groups on facebook with international sales.
      The Brasilia leatherette suite, swiver chair and the stereo system are quite sought after but not impossible to find.
      There's a brilliant book called Scandanavian Design in the Doll's House - a wonderful reference point if you do join the Lundby club! xxx

      Delete
  17. What a creative, imaginative person you are, Vix! Love that you included a Rolling Stones record in there. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess - eagle eyes spotting the Stones album! x

      Delete
  18. Heh, when I saw the names Saga and Jussi it made me laugh. That is such a fantastic house, and it's nice to see the family has plenty to read as well as a telly to watch.

    The Can Can dress looks even better on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mim! That telly actually lights up, even better! xxx

      Delete
  19. Hello,

    Lovely !

    Sarah, https://sarahmodeee.fr

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here in the icy realm of central Indiana, I'm again dreaming of going full Tiki in retirement...but my friends the realtors have fits when I speak of (fake) palm fronds on bathroom walls and blow-fish lighting fixtures. A dolls house Tiki ROOM in a box,'tho? With avocado bathroom fixtures and bamboo vanity and shelving? Thank you, dear Vix, for inspiring me to think "inside the box"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your plans sound fantastic, Beth - do it! xxx

      Delete
  21. So here's my retirement plan - I'm going to get myself shrunk to the perfect size to live in that house and mail myself to you. I can keep the house clean, and every so often you can join me for a piece of cake and a beverage? Sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha ha, I really enjoyed the story that went with this post! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!!! Your decorating skills are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix