Friday 22 June 2018

Are You Gonna Go My Way - Car Booty, Charity Shopping and a Night Out With a Rock God


After the relative inactivity of recent times, it's all go this week and, if trading in London and meeting the gang in Chester wasn't exciting enough, on Wednesday night we saw Lenny Kravitz on his current UK tour.  Talk about a typically crap middle-aged selfie - we could be anywhere, a gig, the bathroom,  or even sitting in 'Spoons. Here's the ticket for proof.

Blue nail polish courtesy of my friend, Jools.

If you're eagle-eyed you may notice that the tickets were complimentary - jammy sods or karma for having spent a fortnight under house arrest due to Jon's bad back? The jury's out. 


In normal circumstances I'd never choose sit down at a gig but you can't look a gift horse in mouth. Although the view wasn't bad, we felt slightly detached from the performance especially when Lenny jumped into the crowd and went walkabout on several occasions (I was massively jealous - at 54 he's a prime example of how fabulous being in your fifties can be!) 


Jon couldn't resist doing that annoying thing of recording a tune but trust me, it was the opening song and the phone was put away immediately afterwards. I can't for the life of me understand why people spend a fortune on gig tickets (apparently our seats cost over £60 each) only to watch the entire set on their stupid phones.  



The stage outfits largely consisted of bell bottoms, painted leather, caftans, embroidered waistcoats and a wizard sleeved maxi dress - worn by shaven-headed guitar goddess, Gail Ann Dorsey, who played with David Bowie for twenty years. The light show was spectacular and - apart from a couple of  middle-of-the-road Bryan Adams' style ballads halfway through the set - Lenny was a true rock god - I know he's often compared to Jimi Hendrix but both Jon and I said that he reminded us of Prince. Special mention to the support, Curtis Harding, one time backing singer for CeeLo Green. If you love Northern Soul (and if you don't then you don't deserve ears) have a listen to the track above.



On the day of the gig we spent the morning charity shopping and the afternoon glued to the football. I wore this early 1960s Jean Allen silk tea timer I bought from an antiques fair for £15 six years ago. It had been relegated to the suitcase on top of  the wardrobe when it started to get a bit tight a couple of years ago but since I kicked my increasingly bad diet into touch it's perfect once again.

WEARING: Topshop playsuit (one of last week's charity shop finds); Vintage deadstock sunglasses

Despite the late night we were up bright and early for the Thursday car boot sale. What with Jon's back injury we hadn't been for three weeks and I was massively relieved when I drew back the curtains to reveal a dry - if a little breezy - day. This 1970s deckchair I spotted a trader sitting on wasn't actually on sale but I managed to persuade her that it needed to come home with me.


Talking of things getting too tight and being relegated to the suitcase on top of the wardrobe, here's today's outfit, a 1960s silk culotte suit Pull Your Socks Up blogger Desiree sent me over eight years ago. I'm happy to report that it now zips up with room to spare and looking back at old photos fits better than it did when I was a 43 year old whippersnapper....hooray!

Clockwise from top left: 1970s quilted housecoat; 1960s wool coat; 1970s bejewelled maxi; 1960s Crimplene & Lurex caftan style maxi; 1970s layered maxi

The collages above and below were Wednesday's charity shop finds and Thursday's car boot booty.

Clockwise from left: 1970s lime green plus sized maxi: 1960s fully fashioned knit; 1970s cowl neck maxi; 1970s Indonesian batik tunic; Liberty, London straw hat; 1960s vinyl handbag; 1960s Italian beaded bag; Vintage handmade velvet bag with bamboo handles.
Ever get that feeling that you need to visit a certain town for a trawl of the chazzas? That was me this morning. We were supposed to be waiting in for a delivery but I told Jon that we HAD to go. Always trust your gut....here's just a few of this morning's finds (some aren't that exciting to look at but are guaranteed sellers and I can't go giving our trade secrets away).

Clockwise from top left: Ozwald Boateng hand finished blazer; 1950s hiking rucksack; Vintage wool flat cap; Boxed bow tie; 1980s leisure shirt; Pop Boutique lumberjack shirt; vintage Byford wool tank top

Clockwise from top left: Mexican poncho; 1970s peignoir; 1970s John Charles strapless gown; 1970s Jaeger over shirt (I used to have the matching dress to this); Hand embroidered Mexican dress

The ladies in the charity shop where I found the incredible John Charles dress tell me that seeing me in my vintage finery is the highlight of their week and insisted I tried on the dress for them. It caused quite a stir what with me flouncing around a bustling Black Country charity shop in a strapless gown at 9.30  this morning, I can tell you!



If you want to shop our rails for real you'll find us at Moseley on Sunday (I know, I know, don't remind me of what else is happening at the same time). Come on, England!!!

See you soon

Linking to Patti and the gang for Visible Monday.

55 comments:

  1. Hey, if modeling for charity shop workers makes them put aside such beautiful finds as that for you - keep it up! I've always liked Lenny Kravitz, always his own type of music really. Sounds like a fun couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They hadn't put that dress aside (I haven't got lucky with the staff in that shop yet)- it had been there a week and I was the first person able to fit into it!
      Lenny is ace! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love the fabric for your green dress. It looks knock out with your nails and ring. That Mexican frock was such a lovely find and very timely with the Frida Kahlo exhibition opening at the V&A. That Topshop playsuit really look vintage too. I love the design and the colours. I saw Lenny Kravitz at Glastonbury in the 90s (?). He was a very well dressed coat hanger, totally pitch perfect but no stage presence, so I wasn't in awe which was a shame as I really loved his early albums. I am sure like many of us getting older he may well have come into his stride. Seeing so many people at Glastonbury would scare me rigid too. Nice to see Jon out and about. I hope that his back is a lot better. Have a glorious weekend! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Lenny at a festival years ago, too - I put not remembering his set down to being a bit wasted but after reading your comment I think he must have increased in confidence! xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow, sounds like y'all had a blast!
    I had a Mexican poncho like that when I was 11 yrs old.
    Saw Lenny on the Electric Church tour in 2005.
    Money green like CeeLo,yup
    Yeah, my pocket so swole up!
    (Was listening to Bhad Bhabie yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poncho and dress came from the same shop - I bet someone travelled to Mexico years ago and had a massive clear out! xxx

      Delete
  4. U r so inspring me to whip my butt back in shape. I have a few fun dresses I need to keep rockin'. That song is great and the concert sounds wonderful. I can totally see the Prince comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lenny's definitely got a Prince vibe going on (just as hot, too!) xxx

      Delete
  5. What fabulous clothes! Not only your outfits but your charity shop and car boot finds are amazing. I love the strapless dress and I bet it looks gorgeous on. It's brilliant the charity shop volunteers save things for you; you are clearly a much liked and valued customer.

    I do so love your green clogs....
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of luck in Chester wasn't an indication for the rest of the week's vintage hunting, thank goodness!
      I'm so glad I splashed out on those clogs, they were worth every penny! xxx

      Delete
  6. How awesome to get free tickets! I have that song in my head now, thank you! I love going to gigs, but I need a seat or to be away from the crush. No more mosh pits for me!

    You look uber-swanky in all of your outfits - since I stopped drinking (about 95% sober these days), all my clothes fit much better. I am agog over that red maxi, and I LOVE that strapless dress. OMG, I would wear that in a heartbeat. I bet you were the highlight of the MONTH!

    Happy weekend to you both, Vix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booze is terrible for weight gain - I think that was why I'd lamped on the pounds in recent years, all those days spent trading at festivals with a can surgically attached to my hand. I'm far more sensible these days! xxx

      Delete
  7. I really liked Lenny Kravitz when I was a teenager. He has some great songs. Apart from his music, I really like his style. He has that rock star vibe going on for sure. I can see why he reminded you of Prince...Great to know that he put on a fantastic show. Sometimes it is hard to tell, not all singers & musicians are great performers. I wouldn't mind attending one of Lenny's concerts, especially if tickets would be complementary. :)

    As always, I enjoyed seeing all of your outfits...and one of them really blew me away...you do look utterly gorgeous in that playsuit. Paired with those vintage sunnies, it is such an amazing summer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenny has a great vintage style, doesn't he?I love that timeless rock star look! xxx

      Delete
  8. You do find the best stuff. The lime green maxi is going to bring someone lots of joy wearing it.

    Don't get me going about people living through their phones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to run amok through a concert hall, grab everyone's phones and stamp on them!
      I love that green dress - especially the chiffon sleeves. xxx

      Delete
  9. That peignoir set 😍 what size? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like that. It's labelled "W" - which is around a 10 - 12. Want me to email you more photos and measurements? x

      Delete
  10. marvelous photos of vix in extremely cool outfits!!
    the azur blue one is my fav - the green shoes are a genius addition! interesting news that mr.kravitz has found his rock attitude again - last time i heard from the music was quiet boring... in early 90s i loved his tunes & was on a concert in berlin - and i could touch him while he was bathing in the masses!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the first person to say that about Lenny. I think he's gained confidence through age (haven't we all!) xxx

      Delete
  11. Glad you're back to having fun after being stuck in the house for a while. I do like Lenny Kravitz, not least because of his fab style. Have a great weekend. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. It hasn't gone anywhere yet, I was saving it for the festivals! x

      Delete
  13. I bet you looked fantastic swanning about in that John Charles dress! With your super tiny waist I'm sure you fit into anything.

    Looks like a good show with LK and he isn't difficult to look at is he? ; P Great that the tickets were free.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenny is very easy on the eye, isn't he?
      I had palpitations when I spotted that dress, it's a stunner. I'm swore off strapless maxis after I had an embarrasing experience at a festival - I left Jon to watch a band, went to the bar, trod on my hem on the way back and dislodged the dress. I had to walk back though the field with the dress around my waist, unable to adjust it as I had my hands full with two pint glasses! xxx

      Delete
  14. I tried to get tickets but they had all gone

    ReplyDelete
  15. I won tickets to see Lenny at the NEC in 91, when I was 17. My mum was a massive fan too so she insisted on accompanying me - it was a great gig despite me being embarassed by my mum grooving along...thinking about it she was younger than I am now - so fairplay mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cute, I like the sound of your mum! xxx

      Delete
  16. You and Jon are such rock stars yourselves. It's the glam life - heh. You add another "O" to grooovy. I love that you swanned about in the gown. And the concert looks like fun - too bad you guys couldn't have joined them on stage. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaah, Lenny is awesome. I'd happily go and see him. He's just so charismatic. And you and Jon deserved a good night out to celebrate him being back on his feet.

    I know what you mean about the chazzas calling you - sometimes they just sing out. Gotta answer the summons of the Charity Shop Gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is fab, I loved how he interacted with the crowd and really showed his appreciation. xxx

      Delete
  18. mwhaha, I Do deserve my ears, and love Northern Soul!, so fabulous that you could enjoy some music! Lenny Kravitz!! wouuu!
    It's also fabulous to see you rocking in your jumpsuits, so gorgeous!, and lovely that you tried that dress at the charity shop!, you're a star!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do deserve ears - Northern Soul is the best! xxx

      Delete
  19. You do find some gorgeous stuff Vix and I would have loved to see a pic of you in that dress. It's pretty stunning.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! Maybe I should pose in that dress before I sell it on! xxx

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you had a lively night out! It sounds great!
    I adore your culotte suits, they look really beautiful on you and well down for working to fit into them!
    That's fab that you found some items when you went to the charity shop and boot fair! I might have known Melanie would be eyeing up the Peignoir as soon as I saw it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie does love her vintage nightwear!
      Thanks, Kezzie! i'm so happy that tea timer fits again, I didn't want to part with it. xxx

      Delete
  21. You both deserved the concert tickets after the last few weeks, so glad you enjoyed it even though it wasn't as you would choose. You certainly find some amazing things in your charity shops. I can just see you swanning round in that dress. Great outfits each and every one. Well done on the England win.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I was thrilled to get offered those tickets, it turned out to be a fun packed week what with the footie, too! xxx

      Delete
  22. Whoa to that stunning strapless gown, it's beyond gorgeous. So happy to see you and Jon back to a more cheery routine, and who doesn't want to see/hear Lenny Kravitz?! Have a ball at the upcoming Fair, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delighted to see you both bright-eyed and out and about. The tickets were a real treat -- but when I read your hed, I thought, "Ah, good, Jon is back on form!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beth! I can't tell you how glad i am that he's back on his feet, i was so worried! xxx

      Delete
  24. Wow really jealous of you going to see Lenny Kravitz, definitely one of my favourites from my teens. As always loving your beautiful and bold outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's well worth seeing if you get the chance, Ceri! xxx

      Delete
  25. How fantastic to get free tickets for the Lenny Kravitz gig! Love the 1960s Jean Allen silk tea timer, and of course that deckchair needed to come home with you. I love a bit of Northern Soul, by the way! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our Northern Soul. We always play The Snake when we;'re setting up our festival pitch - it stops us arguing! xxx

      Delete
  26. I'm sure Lenny put on a good show (Yay for free tix!) but I would been more excited that Gail Ann Dorsey was playing with him. I saw her onstage with David Bowie when he played here in London several years ago and she kicks ass.

    The playsuit, the tea set and the silk cullotte suit are all pieces the 20 year old me would have worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon was very excited about seeing Gail Ann Dorsey, too. I wish we'd been standing, i wanted a closer look at the maxi she was wearing! xxx

      Delete
  27. Lenny Kravitz is someone I'd love to see live. It sounds awesome.
    I really like the necklines on the blue Jean Allen, and the silk culotte suit, sometimes it's nice to cover up a bit but still be able to have your arms out.
    Ha! Only you could talk someone out of the very chair they are sitting in, but you were right, it does belong with you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix