Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Celia, You're Breaking My Heart



By rights I should love this Celia Birtwell dress, the print's fab but the cut is awful and it's completely transparent, but it only cost £3.80 from a charity shop so I tolerate it.
I rock it up with my favourite vintage leather jacket, shin-length leggings, ankle boots and heaps of ethnic jewellery. The holdall is leather with silk paisley-covered panels - ideal for carrying my swimming gear and a snip at 25p.

When I'm second-hand shopping I try to think creatively - pattern and fabric is far more important than size. If it's too big don't dismiss it -belt it or a wear with a tight waistcoat, fitted jacket or shrunken cardi to create shape and interest.

Remember that vintage dress sizes are significantly smaller than today's contemporary clothing sizes - a 1970's size 12 is more like a modern day size 8. Bear this in mind when trawling eBay's vintage section - if the measurements aren't given in the listing ask before bidding to avoid an expensive mistake.


1 comment:

  1. Impressive bangle collection! Love the bag too. I almost always belt my clothes - I love that 50s inspired nipped waist, but the cut of high street clothing just doesn't give that kind of silhouette.

    GG

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, if you enjoyed your visit leave a comment, I can come and visit your blog if you do.
Love from Vix
xxx