Saturday, 19 September 2026

Recent Buys and a Cultural Day Out


Wanna see what I bought at End of the Road


There's these amazing Mexican silver and turquoise earrings from Shilpa Silver (who trade online as Silver Bubble). Once I laid eyes on them I knew I couldn't live without them!


And here are my purchases from Edava Botanics. The frankincence, calendula and geranium moisturiser replaces the Dr. Organics Rose Otto moisturiser I've been using for a while, whilst I love my usual moisturiser, the frankincense in Dylan's formula feels a lot more luxurious. I'd never used a toner before, this is great for refreshing my face during the day and it makes my cream blusher go on (and stay on) really well. Although it's actualy a lip balm, Dylan recommended Jon use this on an annoying patch of facial eczema. It contains bee propalyis, a natural anti-immflamatory, and it really has helped to calm it down. 


My post End of the Road purchase were two pairs of varifocals from Specsavers. A couple of months ago I'd realised that I was only using one eye to read and my annual check-up revealed my vision had deteriorated and that I needed new glasses - hence my excuse for being so lax on the blogging front!  To Jon's amazement, rather than going for my usual big and over-the-top style, I chose these 1970s-inspired metal frames. 


I've found myself a few gems in the charity shops. This halterneck embellished Indian cotton top (originally from Zara) goes a treat with my beloved Anokhi maxi dress. My ongoing issues with Hallux Rigidus mean that other than Teva sandals I can only wear trainers so I was excited to spot these Adidas Originals Handball Spezials in faux leopard for a very reasonable £15. I found the 1970s suit by Jackerew, London in Oxfam yesterday, I'll probably move the skirt on but the quilted jacket is definitely a keeper.


I treat Vinted like a charity shop, rarely searching for anything specific instead clicking on "Search All" and seeing what the algorithm chucks at me. Last week these organic denim Lee jeans popped up and at £5, I thought they might be worth a try. They're a real departure from anything I'd normally choose but the high-waisted, wide legged fit is so feminine and I absolutely love the cowgirl vibe. 

 
Back in July I fell madly in love with a dress Liz and I saw in Monsoon, it was part of their X Victoria collection and had my name writen all over it but, sadly , it was the best part of £200. Happily good things come to those who wait. It was massively reduced in their Summer sale and I managed to snaffle one. 


I wore it when I visited Liz's exhibition back in August and it had another outing yesterday when we took a road trip to Herefordshire with Lynn and Brendan.


We had lunch at The Duke's Head in Leominster, the former post office. Needless to say, it's a Wetherspoons. Check out the carpet.



Suitably refreshed we spent the afternoon exploring the many charity shops and antique centres dotted around the town centre. 











Next we headed to Pembridge, noted for its historic timber-framed buildings and the 12th century parish church, St Mary's. 



Pembridge is one of several Herefordshire parishes whose belltower stands separate from the church. All but the base is timber-framed. The tower was built early in the 13th century, rebuilt with the addition of an ambulatory in the 15th or 16th century and further remodelled in the 17th century when its spire was added.






Spot the cat! 






Although freestone carved effigies are fairly common in churches, those in St Mary's are unusual in that they don't represent knights or clergy, instead dedicated to Nicholas Gour and his son John. One was a Sergeant-at-Law and the other was a steward for the Mortimer Family, the powerful noble Anglo-Norman dynasty who dominated the Welsh Marches from the 11th - 15th Century. Typical of the period, there is no record of the Gour's wives' names. 


Although only separated by a generation, the couple's clothes are markedly different. Nicholas and his wife wear long flowing gowns, coif and wimple, whilst son John and his wife are in tightly buttoned, close fitting gowns and far more elaborate hats.


The dog carved at their feet represents loyalty. 



 The timber-framed Market Hall c.1520


The New Inn dates to the 17th Century.
 



These almshouses were founded by Jeffrey Duppa in 1661. 



We popped into the King's House for a drink, expecting a traditional pub and were knocked sideways by the gloriously bohemian decor and the landlord's warm welcome. 










After a very generous glass of wine, Lynn and I left the chaps in the pub and headed up the road to Pembridge parish hall where we'd got a date with best-selling author, Ann O'Brien. 


Ann, who has published twenty historical novels and has sold over a million books, was a joy to listen to, speaking for over an hour about four of her favourite Medieval women, Elizabeth Mortimer, Cecily Neville, Joan de Geneville and Elizabeth of Lancaster. The subsidised bar meant it would have been rude not to partake in yet another glass of wine. 


In the Q&A session afterwards Lynn asked who Ann was planning to write about next. Rather than give any secrets away she told us who she wouldn't be writing about, the women who were well-behaved, apolitical, god-fearing, obedient wives and devoted mothers. Those women, virtuous as they may have been, make for very dull reading! Both Lynn and I purchased books, which Ann signed for us. 



ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR…


The Welsh Marches, 1301


Heiress Joan de Geneville is married to Roger Mortimer, son and heir of the notable Marcher Lord family. Yet what appears to be a successful marriage soon sees Roger Mortimer in flight into exile and Joan forced into lengthy captivity.

Roger’s return brings no respite. Joan finds herself swept up into a world of treacherous court politics and dangerous secrets as her husband deposes Edward II and rules England with Queen Isabella.

When Roger is accused of treason, she must survive catastrophic events in her fight for justice – with her life, and the lives of her children, hanging in the balance…
Will she pay for her husband’s outrageous ambitions, or will she manage to escape from a terrible fate?


Thanks for reading, see you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix