Yassas! Apologies for the radio silence, it's been full-on since we got home ten days ago but, more about that shortly. In the meantime let me tell you all about our latest Greek odyssey. Our destination was Lesvos in the North Aegean. Greece's fourth largest island, home to 11 million olive trees and the undisputed centre of the world's ouzo production. In ancient times the island was ruled by King Priam and was part of the kingdom of Troy. It was also the birthplace of the writer Sappho, famed for her poems which celebrated female love.
We travelled with Jet2, opting for a package rather than our usual DIY holiday as the price was too tempting not to. Landing at Mytilini airport less than three and a half hours after leaving Birmingham, we were welcomed by a rep who directed us to the taxi which would take us to our hotel in the island's far south. We shared our hour-long transfer with two other travellers, along with the taxi driver's wife, who fed him his dinner as he negotiated the roads. Home for the fortnight was Hotel Vicky, owned and run by brother and sister, Stratos and Vicky. After being shown to our room, we dumped our bags and headed to the hotel bar, toasting our arrival with a couple of pints of Mamos.
We'd arrived in darkness and were amazed when we opened the curtains the following morning revealing a stupendous view of the Aegean.
Hotel Vicky is in Agios Isidoros, a seaside village in the far south of the island. With most British tourists opting to stay in the North, Jet2 don't offer excursions or rep visits to those choosing to stay here making it feel like we'd travelled independently.
With the temperature in the high 30s (hotter than the UK, but less humid), we swam for at least an hour every day and took long, lazy lunches, mostly in the beachfront Aphrodite taverna, alternating between traditional Greek salads or the house special, the Aphrodite, with mixed beans, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and rusks. Two beers, salad, water and a basket of bread cost 20€.

Standing on the southernmost point on the island, just 5 miles from Turkey.
My hip was absolutely brilliant on holiday, I didn't need my stick the whole time we were there despite Hotel Vicky being halfway up a mountain!
As usual, the food was superb. Stuffed courgette flowers were in season and every morning we'd watch this nonagenerian collecting the flowers for the restaurant (often assisted by a helpful tourist). As this part of Lesvos isn't particularly touristy the prices are really affordable with a carafe of wine and dinner rarely costing more than €30 and each taverna included a freebie with the bill, ice cream, choc ices, a glass of Mastika or a platter of fresh fruit. Bottled water was always free.
Our nearest taverna, just across the road from Hotel Vicky was the pretty Merakis, a family-run business, supervised by the 90 year old patriach.


The rugged walk through the village to another of the tavernas (the sign was in Greek so we never discovered its name) reminded us of Paleokastritsa, our spiritual home on Corfu. Fotini lives in London but comes over each Summer to help her elderly parents. We were the only tourists, it was a proper locals-only place, but we were made to feel very welcome.
The ful moon was spectuclar the last night we dined there and we were thrilled to hear the Skops owls calling from the olive groves.
Sunset offered the best view...


Nafs, the village's only bar, was very popular with young Greeks, who'd travel from nearby Plomari to dance in the street to the weekend DJ sets and, at €7 a cocktail, it was cheaper than Spoons!
Hotel Vicky's bar closed at midnight unless there was a match on when they'd stay open until full-time. We watched England vs Panama, Ghana and DR Congo. We had company for the Ghana match but we were on our own for the other three. Many guests opted to eat here every night and after trying their green beans I wasn't surprised!
Stay tuned, part two to follow very soon! In the meantime there's the small matter of the football...
Come on, England!!!!
.png)























.png)












































That package holiday spot looks amazingly free of crowds of tourists. Food, sea, sunsets, clothes and cats all ticked so I'm hoping for some history. It's lovely to have you back!
ReplyDeleteThnks, Ruth! There's some crumbling buildings, cobbled alleyways and industrial history coming up very shortly! xxx
DeleteThat looks fabulous, so chilled and relaxed.
ReplyDeleteI love that balcony with the terracotta pots secured around the edge.
I loved that balcony. I don't hink I'd ever move from there if it was my house (apart from a swim in the Aegean) xxx
DeleteGreat recap with pictures and looking forward to part 2. I feel like my ne t trip should be to the UK, stay a few days to rest up, then book to a Greek Island. You've got me thinking. Jet2 you say?
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a plan, Sam! Jet2 have return flights to Lesvos for this month for £60..such a bargain! xxx
DeleteI was SO excited to see which island you'd been to! Lesvos looks beautiful! My mouths watering at the food! The tomatos here are just not the same! Those kittys look very well fed and bet you fed them too! The colours in the photos. You are setting me off .. cant wait to get back on a plane and go back to Greece..our happy place! So pleased to hear you had a great time and welcome home. Louise (Mids) x x x
ReplyDeleteHello Louise! You've got to try Lesvos if you haven't already, it really is fabulous. I've been looking for flights ever since I got home, one trip to Greece is never enough, is it? xxx
DeletePs. COME ON ENGLAND!!!!! 😀😀😀🏴
ReplyDeleteI'm gutted! xxx
DeleteThat looks absolutely idyllic!
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job with the packing, all your outfits look fabulous.
Can't wait for part 2 xxx
Thanks, Annie! I don't think anyone noticed I wore the same clothes on repeat! xxx
DeleteWhat a marvelous time you had.. great pictures.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Hena - we did! xxx
DeleteHow do you do it? The absolute serenity of that place. Looks gorgeous and totally relaxing. I just had my heater out of action for 2 days - not fun and any bit of sun we get I'm chasing after it like a fly to honey. Thanks for the book recommendation of Phillip Kerr, I found a couple of Bernie Gunther books and have ploughed through them. Also the sad news about Sam Neill has spun me around and I've watched some of his classics. The Dish and Death in Brunswick both great Aussie movies, if you can find them. Also just had my bday, I'm closer to 60 than 50 now, an interesting feeling, my 83 year old mum has no sympathy.
ReplyDeleteHello Diane! Happy belated birthday to you! It's sovering isn't it? I can't believe I'm almost 60, I'm sure I;ve lost 20 years somewhere along the way - I blame the Pandemic!!!
DeleteHonestly, Lesvos is so unspoilt and lovely, I shall definitey go back again.
I hope you get that heater fixed soon. Not wanting to rub it in or anything but its so good to come home from Greece and still be able to wear the same clothes and lie in the garden in my bikini.
I'm glad you're enjoying Bernie Gunther's exploits, I can't wait to see Jack Lowden play him later this year.
What a shock about the lovely Sam Neil, I absoluteky loved The Dish and he was superb in Peaky Blinders, too. I shall hunt out Death in Brunswick as I know we have very similar tastes. xxx
Reading about your adventures at 2 in the morning as I can’t sleep . Delighted to hear you had a great time and that your hip behaved - my left knee is absolutely not behaving and is stopping me sleeping
ReplyDeleteAppointment with
my Consultant on Monday
Am now also supporting Spain in the World Cup !
Siobhan x
Hello Siobhan, hope all's going well with you and your Greek adventures. I'm sorry to hear about your knee, my hip was vile for a few days this week, I'm blaming the humidity - sending lots of healing thoughts. Good luck with your appointment.
DeleteWe're Team Spain now - it all feels very flat after Wednesday night's game. xxx
Always enjoy sharing your Greek travels . Looks wonderful , so picture perfect without the hoards of tourists. Glad your hip didn't give you any trouble . Shame about the England teams loss today.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jill! xxx
DeleteGosh your holiday looks fabulous Vix.
ReplyDeleteIt was a dream, Julie! xxx
DeleteSo picturesque, the sea such an amazing colour. And cute cat spam, too
ReplyDeleteI'm all about the cats! xxx
DeleteSounds like you had a most relaxing holiday. The views are definitely stupendous. I can't get over that deep blue sea. And the fact that your hotel was called Hotel Vicky!
ReplyDeleteHow amazing that your hip was on its best behaviour so that you didn't even need your walking stick.
What a shame about England not getting through to the final. Jos and I both rooted for you, obviously. Now we'll all have to root for Spain! xxx
Sending you, Jos and Bess tons of love, Ann!
DeleteThe.name of the hotel was what clinched the deal, or that's what Jon said. The sea was so beautiful, Walsall Gala pales into insignificance beside it.
I can't get over how well behaved my hip was, Greece obviously agrees with me! X
It looks beautiful Vix, and what better hotel to stay in than one named after you. It looks so relaxed and peaceful and those blue skies! As always, you look wonderful in each and every outfit. I can’t wait for the next instalment xxx
ReplyDeleteThanks, Louise! I think the name of the hotel was the clincher, I was hoping the titular Vicky would swap places with me and let me stay there for ever! X
DeleteQue preciosidad de post y el hotel se ve increíble. Mucha envidia de ese maravilloso lugar, gracias por compartirlo.Tu vestido Tye and dye se ve..... bufff. Y todos esos gatos
ReplyDeleteMuchos gracias! Besos! X
DeleteInteresting about your hip - do you think it was the extra swimming or the dry heat that made the difference? Maeve x
ReplyDeleteI think it's a combination of the intense exercise, the dry heat and my osteopath's magic hands! X
Delete
ReplyDeleteWelcome back. The view from your room is fantastic.
All shades of blue and turquoise look especially good on you. I love your wardrobe for this trip.
The best news is that your hip was doing so well in Greece.
Thanks so much, Andrea!! X
DeleteYour hotel looks fabulous. And what an amazing sea view!
ReplyDeleteOf course, it's lovely to see all of your cat photographs, and I'm so very happy to read that your hip wasn't giving you too much trouble while you were away. Xx
I was amazed by that sea view! I can't believe how well behaved my hip was, I think the NHS ought to prescribe trips to Greece for arthritis! X
DeleteEverything picture perfect.I laughed at the pic of J looking at the view of the telegraph pole! It's the loveliest one I've ever seen! My lot just about to fly off to Rhodes this morning. Hope it's nice for them and not ful! of 18-30's! xx
ReplyDeleteEven the telegraph poles in Greece are mesmerising!! Rhodes is lovely, Faliraki used to be the 18-30 destination back in the day (been there, done that, been on all the bar crawls) but i don't think it's all that lairy these days! X
DeleteThey're having a great time! Spending a lot of it in and by the pool!
DeleteThey're having a great time. Spending a lot of it in and by the pool!!
DeleteI'm very glad to hear it! I hope they spend time on some of Rhodes many beautiful beaches, too! xxx
DeleteOh, gosh, Vix, what a plethora of amazing photos, from the gorgeous scenery, the bars, the food, to you and Jon, both looking very fly and non-touristy. Just love it. Glad you're getting away from all the madness for a while - it's okay to take a break!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sheila! xxx
DeleteI love seeing so much blue on holidays - beaches, dresses, pretty doors. X
ReplyDeleteIf Greece was a colour it would definately be blue! xxx
DeleteIts nice to see you taking a hotel and it looks like you struck lucky with this one. A blue flag beach and no hoards of tourists? there will be after this post! Your outfits are all lovely and fit the scene beautifully. Betty
ReplyDeleteThanks, Betty! We absolutely loved Lesvos. Although we only booked self-catering (as we usually do) it was nice having a bar and somewhere to watch the World Cup and the lift was a bit of a novelty! xxx
DeleteSo much beauty! Greece is spectacular. Thank you so much for sharing all of this.
ReplyDeleteAgain, you look absolutely beautiful in those maxi skirt.
The statement bag is fabulous.