Saturday 16 December 2023

My Birthday On La Isla Bonita


This 6th December wasn't the first time I'd woken up to heat and sunshine on my birthday, I've celebrated many in India and, last year, a bit closer to home in Malaga. After consecutive birthdays spent in the UK either soaking wet, snowed on or freezing cold, I've promised myself that however many 6th Decembers I have left, they will be spent in the environment that makes me the happiest - warmth! 

After opening my presents -and a card from the hotel staff who must have seen that it was my birthday on their records -  we set off in search of churros & coffee and, suitably stuffed, went off to explore more of Puerto de la Cruz.

After a sunny start Mount Teide had all but vanished behind the cloud but, as you can see from our Summery attire, it was still a fabulously warm 24°C.


Being the little weirdo that I am, top of the list for birthday adventures was the Cementerio Ingles (The English Cemetery). Long before the mass tourism of the twentieth century, there was already a substantial British population on Tenerife, mostly involved with exporting Canarian wine and the island's sugar, since the early part of the 18th Century. Back then
 the Catholic church was opposed to the Protestant religion but exempted foreign residents, granting permission for a small cemetery for deceased ex-pats to be established. This opened in 1757. 

From the closing years of the nineteenth century, North Tenerife became increasingly popular as a destination for the wealthier members of British society to spend the winter months.  The island was known for its mild climate and pure air and, as such, routinely recommended by doctors as a place for those suffering from illness - particularly tuberculosis - to convalesce although, by the number of graves occupied by the young, many must have succumbed. 

Although created by British residents, the cemetery was also used by Protestants from other countries. By 1958 it was almost full so, to utilise the space, the dead were interred in niches in the walls. In recent times, with the preference for cremation and, in many cases, repatriation by air, the number of interments have dropped to around 3 to 4 a year.

In the bottom left hand corner of the first collage is the grave of Osbert Ward, who died in 1949 at the grand old age of 93 and is famous for writing the first ever guide book to Tenerife back in 1886. I had to smile at the inscription he'd had etched on Mrs Osbert Ward's head stone, The Best of Wives....it sounded like Osbert kept a harem.


I mentioned in my first Tenerife travelogue how Agatha Christie had visited the island in 1927, the year after her infamous 1926 disappearance and subsequent discovery in a hotel with no apparent memory of how she got there. Following successful psychiatric treatment, Christie travelled to Puerto de la Cruz with her daughter Rosamund and her secretary Carlo and was inspired to write several books set in the town during her stay. 


Mr. Satterthwaite went on, past the palm trees and the straggling white houses, past the black lava beach where the surf thundered and where once, long ago, a well-known English swimmer had been carried out to sea and drowned, past the rock pools where children and elderly ladies bobbed up and down and called it bathing, along the steep road that winds upwards to the top of the cliff. For there on the edge of the cliff was a house, appropriately named La Paz. A white house with faded green shutters tightly closed, a tangled beautiful garden, and a walk between cypress trees that led to a plateau on the edge of the cliff where you looked down--down--down--to the deep blue sea below.’’  The Mysterious Mr Quin, 1930

The bench we sat on to take this photo is labelled Agatha Christie's Viewpoint.


The Agatha Christie Stairs on Paseo San Amaro speak for themselves, apparently photographing them is an Instagram thing. 


Thank goodness I'm no longer on IG, I committed a major faux pas by wearing the same dress I'd worn the previous day!


Puerto de la Cruz is not only the first place in the world to name a street after the author but also hosts an annual Agatha Christie Festival every November. Not quite Glastonbury but I bet it's fun.



There's a great view at the top of those steps. The more eagle-eyed amongst you might notice that the pavement looked a bit wet, we had about five minutes of rain.


We continued our ascent up through the Orotava Valley and with popping ears finally reached our next destination, The English Library. 


Set within beautiful subtropical gardens, the library is home to 20,000 English language books covering everything from cookery and the classics to music and gardening with everything else inbetween. There's also over 5,000 DVDs.


The library was founded by Mrs Mary Boreham who arrived on Tenerife with her terminally ill husband, Walter. The Borehams possessed a large and eclectic collection of books which they started lending to other British ex-pats living in the Orotava valley. The books were originally housed in the Anglican church down the road but, as the collection grew, the British community were granted permission for a specially constructed building and The Orotava Library, as it was originally known, opened in 1903. The library remained open throughout both World Wars and is available to the public every Wednesday and Saturday between 10am and 1pm. Annual membership is €40 a year and temporary membership (minimum, one month) is €12. 


When Mrs Boreham died in 1917 her private collection of books was bequeathed to the library, totalling around 4000 volumes. The library's records reveal that it cost 108 pesetas to move the books by horse and cart and another 1169 pesetas to build more shelves to accommodate them all.





It was such a lovely place, the gardens were exquisite and the volunteers couldn't have been more welcoming as we'd arrived shortly before closing time we didn't take advantage of the tearooms.



We passed the 130 year old Anglican church, All Saints on the way back down the hill into town. The gardens are home to a rose garden dedicated to the memory of the 146 passengers and crew who lost their lives when Dan Air charter flight number 1008, inbound from Manchester to the Tenerife North airport of Los Rodeos, crashed in the nearby forest of La Esperanza on 25th April 1980 killing everyone on board.




Back down at the port I whipped off my dress and went for a swim....the Atlantic was too cold for Lord Jon (I'm made of sterner stuff!) so he stayed on shore and filmed me for posterity. I would have gone further but a boat was coming in and I didn't fancy being decapitated on my birthday (although I know of a very nice graveyard in the vicinity). 

Swimming in the sea is a getting soaking wet on my birthday that I can cope with!
 




By now we were ravenous. I wanted to eat on the pavement outside the fabulous Art Nouveau cafe bar we'd discovered on our first day in Puerto de la Cruz but there was a queue and I don't think stamping my feet and demanding a table just because it was my birthday would have cut it. 


Instead we sat outside one of the grand old hotels in the square by the church and enjoyed beer and tapas (tortilla, olives and papas arrugadas with mojo verde and rojo along with a basket of bread) and it turned out that a Danish man on a neighbouring table was - like reader Lynsey - also celebrating a birthday!


We sat on San Telmo beach with a beer and watched the waves for an hour.


Back at the apartment we showered and packed our belongings. You guessed right, Jon wore his new old coat on the journey home and I managed to squeeze my latest second hand maxi dress in my bag. Jet2 flights include 10kg carry-on allowance but my bag only weighed 7kg on the way out and, as we'd used up the toiletries we'd brought with us, I had room to spare.


Although our flight wasn't until lunchtime the following day (Thursday), we'd planned on catching the 6am bus to Tenerife South airport as the next one was two hours later and would have been cutting things a bit too fine. However, as luck would have it, Barry from York, the lovely chap we'd met in our favourite hole-in-the-wall bar a couple of nights ago was having a pint when we popped in and, as a bus enthusiast and a Puerto de la Cruz long-staying regular, told us that we could get a later bus and change at Santa Cruz station, meaning we didn't have to cut the birthday night out too short after all. 
Salut, Barry! 


As I'd enjoyed it so much before, I had another vegetable paella for dinner....


And Jon, who doesn't really like burgers, loved his choice.


The live entertainment was the same beautiful singer as the previous night and she dedicated her Spanish cover of Dancing Queen to me, I must have made an impression!


The following morning we caught the 7.15am guagua to Santa Cruz, hopped on the airport-bound 8am with seconds to spare and disembarked at Tenerife South two hours later. After posing by the Tenerife sign for one last photo, we breakfasted on bocadillos and flew back to Birmingham. Just over four hours later we'd passed through arrivals and were on the train back to Walsall - lunch in Spain, tea in England - short haul travel rocks!


I didn't expect to love North Tenerife as much as I did. With this trip and our January jaunt to Las Palmas on Gran Canaria I've definitely disproved my previous theory of The Canaries being a purpose-built, soulless, cultural wasteland. In fact, I cannot wait to go back! 




Thanks for reading! 

44 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and what a wonderful way to celebrate. (I want all of the books - I don't know where I would put them but they are wonderful) Love you swimming experience. You look great! Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ranee! There's something about old books, I just love them. The library transported me back to childhood and visiting our local one (demolished a few weeks ago), the smell of old books and beeswax was so evocative. xxx

      Delete
  2. what a great birthday swim! you're made of stronger stuff than me, I can't bear cold water :) I don't actually think others notice if we wear the same thing twice - I don't care - I wear the same dress twice, if I want, I think we wash clothes far too much and I would rather have a few dresses I absolutely love and wear too much than a load of stuff that's just ok! You looked lovely in your kaiser kaftan dress on your last night on the town:) Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Jon are so alike - chips, beer and a hatred of cold water!
      I think that if you love the clothes you awn you don't mind wearing them on repeat. I probably could have travelled with one less dress but it was nice to have options!
      That Kaiser dress is so well travelled! xxx

      Delete
  3. So glad you got your birthday quota of sunshine on your birthday. I think I'd enjoy a jaunt over there in the Winter months when it's not as busy. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a lovely birthdaya nd highly recommend North Tenerife outside the main holiday season, just the right amount of tourists and glorious weather, too! xxx

      Delete
  4. I can't blame you for wanting to spend your birthdays in the sun! I'm lucky that my birthday is in Summer (albeit late Summer) and the weather is usually fine.
    I'm loving the view from Agatha Christie's viewpoint and I'm not surprised those stairs are an Instagram thing. Wearing the same dress twice though :-)
    That vegetable paella looks absolutely delicious! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky being a September baby! Being born in December has two downsides, the weather and that Jesus is always trying to hijacked my day! xxx

      Delete
  5. The Agatha Christie Stairs are very decorative for a Photo. I love the English Library, so many old Books, a little paradise. Your Birthday swim is amazing, you look beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Aren't those steps wonderful? xxx

      Delete
  6. So glad you made it to warmer climes. I love that you found a Puckle in the cemetery. We have a Puckle street here in Moonee Ponds and I am fascinated by that family name. Our street was named after the first vicar of St Thomas', Edward Puckle, who came here in 1858, ten years after the first Anglican services were conducted in Moonee Ponds. Such a rare and unusual name. I hope you had a splendid birthday and all the future ones are spent in the warmth, if Australia was not so far away I'd suggest a trip down under, by December it is usually HOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never come across a Puckle before, I had to snap that gravestone as it was such an unusual name. Fancy your street being named after one, I wonder if Edward was a distant relative to George? I was fascinated by him being born in Madras - especially as I spent my 40th birthday in the city! I would love to visit Australia one day! xxx

      Delete
  7. Sorry did not mean to publish as Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see how you enjoyed your birthday on the beautiful island- La Isla Bonita.
    There is nothing weird about visiting graveyards, they are like museums- they educate us and teach us about the past. I always visit graveyards, no matter where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you and Claire are of the same mind as me! xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi Vix, what a great travelogue you write!
    I love the Canary Isles, there's so much more to them than the tourist traps! Five years ago we joined an organised motorhome tour, travelling by ferry from Cadiz in January, and spent 10 weeks around northern Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Palma and La Gomera. It was magic!
    A great way to spend your birthday!
    Best wishes, Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzie! I had a fab birthday. Wow, 10 weeks touring The Canaries, that sounds absolutely incredible. xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you had a lovely birthday and managed to get to swim in the harbour! How thoughtful of the staff to send you a card.
    Love the Agatha Christie connection and a taste of England abroad (something other than sports bars). And no, you're not a weirdo. I'd happily visit an old cemetery on my birthday too!
    You definitely made the most of turning 57! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! I was so happy to go for a sea swim on my birthday. Yes, Puerto de la Cruz had the right kind of English culture - not a sports bar in sight! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the Christie stairs! They are beautiful. I'd like to see those. I do like the library you visited - such a lovely idea to bequeath them to the island.
    Your beautiful dress deserves to be worn twice!
    The vegetarian paella looks really delicious!
    I totally would have gone for a swim too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Agatha Christie connection, I didn't know about it until recently. xxx

      Delete
  12. A birthday swim in the Atlantic - heaven! Happy belated birthday, Vix. I loved the English cemetery and library (bet they have some collectors items there) and the Agatha Christie connection was both unknown to me but fascinating. The steps were brilliant. I thought at first they were a pile of colourful AC paperbacks you'd bought! The vegetable paella looked delicious. So glad you were both able to take your chazza finds back with you!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd approve of the Atlantic swim! Apparently it's the best time of year for it! xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday! I like the sound of that. We have three winter birthdays in our house and as expected it is always cold and or wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hena! The Canaries are a great place to get some winter sunshine! xxx

      Delete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday! It looks like you had a wonderful island trip! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pilar! Sending you lots of love, too! xxx

      Delete
  15. Belated Birthday wishes, Vix! It looks like you enjoyed a wonderful time away.
    I loved your idea of a birthday swim, but I could almost feel every stone you walked on before reaching the water. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules! Yes, those volcanic rocks were a bit harsh underfoot. My sandals were waterproof, I should have kept them on! xxx

      Delete
  16. Now, THAT is a birthday! A very happy one, it looks like it, including a swim in the 'chuck (a Chinook jargon word used on the west coast of Canada - it means "water". Saltchuck is the ocean). I love a quick short-haul bit of travel - San Francisco is like that for us.

    Thank you again for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck! That's a new one on me, I shall slip that into conversation some time this week! xxx

      Delete
  17. I've totally loved your posts on your birthday celebration holidays and wish you a (belated) happy birthday, dear Vix!. Love your idea of enjoying your birthday just the way you love!.
    And obviously, your posts have make me think I have to visit that Tenerife North zone, as we only saw a few places in our last visit and we stayed in the south. Very interested in the Agatha Christie's visits to the island, and also lovely street art and those magnificent pools at the Lido!, lots of interesting photos!. You totally captured the atmosphere, the colours, the plants, the light!
    besos y gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! I knew you'd been to Tenerife but wasn't sure where you'd stayed. We loved the North, so few Brits so no sports bars or menus with photos of the food - bliss! xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you had such a lovely brithday. I love reading about your travel adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know this is rather late but Happy Birthday Vix. Glad you thoroughly enjoyed your birthday visit to the Canary Islands. I was interested to see the volcanic beaches as I met up with a lady that I made contact with through Instagram who lives in the islands and we discussed amongst other things the beaches . You are a brave one , I don't like either cold water or rocky beaches (used to sandy ones I guess). I did know of the Agatha Christie connection , that would have been interesting to see.Both the cemetry and library were fascinating < I had no idea of the strong English connection. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill and thank you so much for the comment. We've experienced volcanic beaches in santorini a few weeks ago and Lanzarote many years ago, they're strange at first but I love the contrast of the black sand and lush greenery (Santorini excepted, not much greenery there!) I actually prefer pebble beaches to sand, no grit! JOn can't understand how I can swim in cold water, he hates it, too! xxx

      Delete
  20. Trust you to find all the hidden gems in Tenerife Vix! Looks wonderful. Oh my - all those succulents & Cacti. Bravo for going for a sea swim. Glad you had a super birthday xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew there was so much culture on Tenerife? When Tony went to Playa de las Americas with a pal twenty years ago he kept texting Jon asking him to come and rescue him from foam party hell! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix