Thursday 30 November 2023

56 Years and 359 Days!


Where on earth has the last week gone? 


We spent a large part of Saturday tackling the leaves. Whilst Jon dealt with the driveway, I cleared the pavement that runs alongside our fence - a 100m stretch - sweeping them into the gutter and making sure the drains were clear. Despite looking like the Wreck of the Hesperus in my bobble hat & combats I still had to endure predatory men kerb crawling and beeping their car horns. Honest to god, do they really think I'm flattered? 


On Sunday we popped out to the clearance charity shop and spent the afternoon doing housework. 


I wore a 1960s beagle collar all-wool maxi with a vintage embroidered suede jacket and a Monsoon fedora along with some Kuchi earrings and an Arts & Crafts brooch from 1901 (snaffled for £3.03 on eBay a fortnight ago)


On Monday a friend & I assisted a chap who'd recently inherited a large amount of jewellery, sorting through it to ensure that there wasn't anything of great value before it was sent to auction. There were a few pretty pieces but I was very good and didn't offer to take anything off his hands. 


I wore one of my vintage Afghan dresses with a sheepskin waistcoat, some Kuchi earrings and a Rabari dowry necklace bought in India almost a quarter of a century ago.


Tuesday kicked off with an early morning swim followed by breakfast at Wetherspoons and a mooch around the town centre charity shops. Back at home, with Lord Jon's assistance, I touched up my roots, it had been 6 weeks since I'd last done them but as I'm getting progressively lighter with my hair colour the regrowth isn't that noticeable any more.


I didn't get round to posing in Tuesday's outfit so here's a flatlay (that's hip kid speak for photographing your clothes on the floor). Charity shopped from head to toe, I wore a 1970s Suede & Leathercraft Ltd coat, Yasmin Le Bon for Wallis pendant, Piccadilly for Paskal Italian-made leather boots, a River Island felt fedora and a satin maxi dress with flared sleeves which was originally from Zara but snaffled from the clearance charity shop on Sunday morning for £3.


I haven't used a hairdryer in years, when I wash my hair I plait it and leave it to dry overnight. For a change I wrapped my newly dyed hair around this Night Waves band I found in a charity shop a couple of years ago (Claire's have them in their sale for £1.50 HERE). It looks a bit strange but it stays put when I'm in bed and the waves it creates are a nice change to my usual Pre-Raphaelite crimped locks.


Jon's been part of the NHS's Grail Trial for the last three years and Wednesday morning marked his final blood taking (you can read more about the trial HERE). Once he got back we popped over to our favourite Black Country town for some charity shopping. I wore a vintage Louis Caring maxi dress (if my friend Max is reading this she'll recognise it) along with a navy thermal polo neck, vintage felt hat and my trusty Afghan. With sub-zero temperatures, it was a bitterly cold day but at least the Midlands avoided the snow that dusted Scotland & the North.


As I never expected to own an it bag, I'm reluctant to let this navy leather croc embossed Victoria Beckham tote bag go especially as I'm also called Victoria B so it's got my name written all over it. 

It originally retailed at over £3000 (HERE) - I paid £3!

I also wore a 1960s gilt chain belt and a pair of enamel and brass earrings bought from FabIndia in Mumbai back in 2020. 

With another bastard cold start to the day, today (Thursday) I dug out this early 1960s embossed silk cheong-san bought from a house clearance stall at a car boot sale over a decade ago. It's quilted, lined with feathers and astonishingly warm plus that additional padding gives me an arse like Kim Kardashian's! Before you say it, no I've never watched the show either but I've seen photos of her online.

After this morning's swim and 'Spoons breakfast Jon did a tip run whilst I tackled more of the leaves. I've put the eBay shop on holiday for a week so with the time I usually spend photographing and listing stock I've been curled up in the lounge reading.

I've dropped into wartime Belgium to accompany English Intelligence officer, Kay Connelly whilst she locates Nazi Germany's rockets, launched from occupied Holland and wreaking havoc in London in Robert Harris's V2; I've followed the incredibly brave real life Secret Operations Executive, Noor Inayat Khan as she transmitted hundreds of radio messages to the London from occupied France before being captured and murdered by the Nazis at Dachau (Code Name Madeleine by Arthur J Magida is on loan from my friend, Nikki) and I'm now in 17th century Madrid with celebrated artist Diego Velazquez sampling life in the court of King Philip IV of Spain with Amy Sackville's Painter to the King

I once read a blog post accusing fiction lovers of having empty lives and reading to escape their reality.  I don't know about you but I read to enhance my life not to escape from it. 

Until a few months ago, never in my wildest dreams would I have considered setting foot in a branch of Sports Direct but with my reignited passion for swimming I've popped in for goggles and left impressed with their range of women's sportswear. These Slazenger performance swimsuits (unlike fashion ones, these won't get ruined by chlorine) have been reduced to clear - the geo print is down from £29.99 to £6 and the retro floral down from £33.99 to £10.99. 


This is what 57 looks like (well, 56 and 359 days!), I reach that epic milestone next week!

Don't worry I haven't completely sold my soul to the devil, the circular economy is where my heart belongs. Here's this week's secondhand finds....

Clockwise from top left: Contemporary Nicole Farhi tweed & velvet jacket; Cape Cornwall recycled sari silk kimono; 1970s Maurice Henri velvet waistcoat & midi skirt suit; 1980s Mushroom by Perlei boned cocktail dress; River Island denim chores jacket (now in Jon's wardrobe); 1980s mohair hand knit; Monsoon fake fur gilet; vintage 1960s gents Afghan; 1970s Dereta printed velvet jacket; 1970s old skool sports top; Reversible felted wool hooded poncho ( made in Nepal). 


Clockwise from top left: 1980s leather belt with novelty Swiss watch buckle; 3 x beaded evening bags (made in India); 1980s English sheepskin hat; Pink leather gloves; 1960s vinyl handbag; Italian leather & pewter puckle hip belt; Nepali cap; Harris Tweed & leather gloves (now Jon's); Italian red leather hip belt; Vintage Mexican leather cowboy boots; Elbow length vinyl gloves and wool beret with sequin bow.


I found these two unworn Wonderbras marked up at £1.50 in the underwear basket yesterday and excitedly handed over my £3. As they're labelled Made in the UK and are manufactured by Gossard they're over thirty years old and therefore officially vintage (Gossard lost their licence to manufacture Wonderbras in 1994). Back in the day I used to go out clubbing in a hot pink Wonderbra, platform boots and leather hot pants - thankfully that was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and people rarely took photos on nights out!


These feats of engineering really are a wonder, they even give me, Ms AA Cup, an impressive cleavage!




I'm escaping the UK for a few days and celebrating my birthday in the sunshine. (Don't worry, this little monster will be well cared for in our absence.)

Thanks for reading, see you on the other side.

 

67 comments:

  1. vix that purple silk coat is beautiful i love any shade of purple or lilac you look amazing all your hard work really does pay off with your swimming and excersise we went to dalasaton asda the other day and checked out the charity shops the one at the top of the town , sorry forget what its called has lost all its charm since the re fit , i cant remember what its called and its gone so very expensive too the other one is ok if they have what you are after , i always used to wear a wonder bra they were amazing but now i need to flatten them lo , mia keeps trying to push them out of the way when she wants a cuddle lol, have a lovely time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Eileen! I love purple, too, I wish there was more of it about!
      I've never shopped in Darlo aka The Lost City, I didn't even know that they had any charity shops. What a shame that one's lost its appeal now its had a refit, I hate it when they go all boutique-ified and only stock modern branded stuff.
      I'd forgotten the oomph Wonderbras give you. I always thought I'd be like my Mum and develop big boobs when I got older but I'm just as flat as ever! Mia is hilarious! xxx

      Delete
  2. Felicitations on the annual celebration of your natal day! (Received this greeting on a card years ago & once I'd deciphered it, decided it was worth stealing.) May you enjoy warmth and comfort in your occasion's destination!
    "Flatlay"? Thanks for this addition to my hip kid speak vocabulary. I'm now helping a young friend learn how to glean saleable vintage clothing and jewelry from estate auctions. All updates to auction jargon are appreciated since it's been a while.... One feature hasn't changed: the temptation to acquire bargains for oneself rather than re-sale! I admire your descipline! That Monsoon fake fur would not have escaped my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very fancy sounding greeting, Beth! Thank you very much.
      Oh yes, one needs all these hip terms when selling online, you need to appeal to as diverse an audience as you possibly can. It's like a difference language sometimes.
      It's very hard not to keep everything. That Monsoon gilet was one of Jon's finds, he can't resist some groovy fake fur! xxx

      Delete
  3. Have a wonderful birthday!! I will be anxiously waiting your recap, as I live vicariously through your travel posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kristin! The camera is charged and my notebook is packed away ready! xxx

      Delete
  4. Happy early Birthday, you gorgeous and amazing Vix! I love seeing all of your outfits, down to the bits, loving that Zara dress (excellent print), and your silk/feather dress. Nice arse, indeed! One day I would love to hit the charity shops with you - I think we have similar eyes/stamina (ha). Enjoy your birthday in the sun, and loads of tummy rubs to Mister William.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much my lovely friend! Yes, one day we will hit the charity shops together, like you I never tire of rummaging through rails and looking at clothes. I'm off to give William a tummy rub right now. Lots of love and get well soon wishes to you! xxx

      Delete
  5. You look fantastic, the Swimsuits fit perfectly. Have a great Birthday in the Sun Vix, happy Holiday. I also have my Birthday in December, but at the end of the month. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Fancy you being a December baby, too! xxx

      Delete
  6. Three thousand quid for a bloody handbag? The world is completely and totally insane. Don’t get me started on what a difference that would make to the charities trying to find a safe place for an abused woman, or the shelters trying to feed animals who have been dumped because they cost too much to keep. Aarrrgh.

    So on a much happier and more calm note, have a very happy birthday week, be thoroughly spoiled and indulgent and enjoy yourself. xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, it is an obscene amount of money for what is basically a receptacle to lug stuff around in but whatever you think of the Beckhams I know from someone who works in the sector (and therefore on very good authority) that they raise vast amounts for various very deserving charities but choose to keep it under wraps.
      Thanks for the birthday wishes, Jayne. It's lovely to hear from you. I hope it's not too snowy up in your beautiful part of the world! xxx

      Delete
  7. Hope you have a lovely birthday next week. Mine is next Wednesday. I've got a week off work. So I'm going to visit my family. And celebrate my younger sisters 40th birthday whilst I'm there. As it's 2 weeks after mine. And I'll be back at work then. Working all Christmas and New Year, as I'm a carer. Hope you both have a wonderful time on holiday. Looking forward to your blog, when you return. Take care of yourselves x Lynsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynsey! We're twins, my birthday's on 6th December, too! I hope you have a lovely time with your family and I shall think raise a glass to both you and your sister. I hope you come back rested and recharged ready for your Christmas and New Year shifts. Much love to you. xxx

      Delete
  8. You must keep the bag - it is beautiful and I am happy to hear the Beckhams support charities. I am slowly building an online vintage clothing business to occupy me in retirement. You are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandra and thank you so much for commentating. I'm happy to hear that you're working on a vintage business to keep you occupied during retirement, you won't regret it! xxx

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday Vix, and hope you enjoy the sunshine. Looking great as usual and love the big fluffy hat your wear, that must keep your head really warm. We don't really get cold enough here in Melbourne to justify a hat like that, but I'm tempted as I'm sure it would turn heads. We have been getting a lot of rain and when I look out and think I don't want to leave the house I always think of you in my ear saying "If the rain stopped us we would never go out". Till next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, DianeS! Lucky you living in gorgeous Melbourne, my brother said t was his favourite city when he went to Australia & New Zealand for the cricket a few years ago. Those sheepskin hats are ridiculously warm and with our climate I often wear them on summer evenings at festivals. They get so much admiration and I do laugh when men sidle up to me in charity shops and ask if I'm a spy!
      Oh yes, much as I loathe rain and the endless gloom of the British winter I make myself go out every day, I might come back looking like a drowned rat but feel a lot better for it. xxx

      Delete
  10. Wonderbras were and engineering marvel. My favourite was the 1303 front fastening and could make mountains out of molehills, lol. I bought my first one to wear under my white wedding dress, the dress fitter told me the style number, sent me out and my gawd, she was right.

    I really want to know how you scored that handbag!

    Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello & thank you ! I shall check the code numbers on my bras, they're both front loaders, as we used to refer to them here - the violet one's a 1970s model and the brown one late 1980s. I'd forgotten how comfy they are and the engineering genius behind them. The 1990s "Pull yourself together" advert couldn't have been more accurate.
      My mind still boggles over finding that VB bag. It was the first time I'd been to the charity shops since lockdown and there I was thinking I might have lost my ability to shop. I didn't have my glasses with me and assumed it was a UK high street brand - but loved the colour and thought it felt like leather. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got it home. It's the last thing you'd expect to find in our town! xxx

      Delete
  11. Have the best time!
    Happy Birthday xxx
    Top swag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine! There's something about carrying an it bag when you're rummaging through the £1 charity shop rails & shopping in B&M, isn't there? I bet the other VB would see the funny side! xxx

      Delete
  12. I hope you have a lovely birthday, enjoy the sun while you think of us all here shivering in this sudden cold spell. Those swimsuits had your name written them, modern yet retro looking ... perfection, as is the figure in them. If it were me (with my now non-existent bag fetishes) I would be selling the VB bag and re-investing the money in next years festival stock. But hey if you want to own it, it's already yours, what an absolute bargain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, how lovely to hear from you! It looks like I've timed our short break perfectly, doesn't it? I think it's supposed to warm up here the day we fly back. I was amazed by those retro swimsuits, I was probably the only one who was judging by the discount!
      I shall hold on to that bag and enjoy it for a while, designer things tend to appreciate in value the older they get, I might be able to trade it in for a round the world flight one day (in my dreams!) xxx

      Delete
  13. Hi vix I suspect you are going to Greece? wherever you catch the sun have a fabulous birthday. I have a pair of kuchi earrings like yours found in a chazza, they will look great with the choker you gave me. I get my gym swimming gear from Decathlon, really good prices and quality. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty! No. Athens is the only option for Greece from Birmingham at this time of year but much as I wanted to go back the flight prices were really pricey. You've got the continent right, though!
      Your Kuchi earrings were a lucky find. I've not found any decent tribal jewellery in the charity shops in ages. I've not bought swimwear from Decathlon but have one of their Nabaiji microfibre towels and love it! xxx

      Delete
  14. So envious that you are escaping this horrific cold, but well deserved after your busy summer. You look great, irrespective of age. It's just a number after all! That bag nearly knocked my eyes out, and that was before I even read that it was a designer number. You know me and my designer handbag weakness, I shouldn't be allowed out! I don't think you should sell it, I think it's a beautiful thing. I could do with some new swimsuits, maybe I should check out Sports Direct, like you, it's a shop I try to avoid. Have a great birthday, and I'll look forward to reading about your adventures when you get back. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know you love a designer bag! I had no idea it was anything posh when I picked it up I just liked the colour - I didn't have my glasses with me! I was astounded at the price when I got home and did my research!
      Yes, Sports Direct isn't all grey jogging bottoms - I was pleasantly surprised with their choice of swimwear. xxx

      Delete
  15. I love the VB bag. I can't help having a sneaky liking for Victoria after I read her autobiography. She seems to have a self-deprecating sense of humour and doesn't take herself too seriously (or at least she didn't then anyway)
    Not sure whether you'll see this, but have a great trip xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Just dashing around getting myself organised. It's good to know that VB comes across well in her autobiography. I used to swim with a chap whose son was a teammate of David's back in the day and said Victoria was particularly kind to his wife. xxx

      Delete
  16. Del grupo de blogs que sigo y leo, juro que este es mi favorito. Como me entretuvo y sirvio en el encierro de la pandemia. Gracias por compartir los relatos de tus viajes, historias familiares, anecdotas, el permitir conocer tu fabuloso vestuario, tu hermoso y acogedor hogar y jardin. Que sigas cumpliendo muchos años mas al lado de Lord Jon y tus mascotas. !FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS VIX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Hola! Muchas gracias por tu hermoso mensaje y tus amables palabras, ¡me has puesto una gran sonrisa en la cara! Te envío mucho amor. xxx

      Delete
  17. Happy almost birthday, Victoria B! Celebrating your birthday in the sun sounds like an excellent idea!
    Fantastic outfits all around. I loved seeing that beagle collared 1960s maxi again, and well done for snaffling that Arts & Crafts brooch for the crazy price of £ 3,03. Loving the satin Zara maxi too, I've got to admit they've got some fabulous stuff.
    Ah, the Gossard Wonderbra! Every girl wanted one of those back in the 80s. I remember the ads well, although I don't think I ever had one myself.
    Have a most wonderful time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, dear Ann! The last time I wore that beagle collared maxi I didn't need a coat, the temperatures have plummeted over the last week - I've timed my escape just right.
      Zara have some gorgeous stuff and it turns up secondhand really quickly, too. I'm still on the lookout for one of those green cotton embroidered skirts like you snaffled last summer.
      Wonderbras were fab! Back in the 1980s there used to be a lady who'd go round to all the office blocks in Birmingham and sell slight seconds at a fraction of the retail price, it was so exciting when she had the right size. I've road tested the violet one today and had forgotten how comfy they are, the person who invented them was an engineering genius! xxx

      Delete
  18. Wishing you the best birthday Vix!🎉
    Love that fluffy hat with the purple dress💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stephanie! I don't wear that purple dress very often but it's perfect for those horribly cold days that rarely climb above zero like it was yesterday. xxx

      Delete
  19. Fabulous outfits! I know you don't like this time of year, but goodness, you have the wardrobe for it!
    I am also in love with that swimming costume. The cut and design is perfect!
    Gossard Wonderbras! A blast from the past! I lived in those back in the day, although I never went clubbing in one!
    I knew it wouldn't be long before you escaped the cold. Enjoy! I bet you'll miss William's furry little face! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! I'm prepared for every eventuality, I really shouldn't need to buy clothes for the rest of my life.
      I'd forgotten how amazing Wonderbras are. I rarely wear a bra but I wore one of those all day yesterday! xxx

      Delete
  20. Have a good birthday and holiday Vix🌞

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many great looks here. Your retro vibe is on another level so Daisy Jones. Love the look with purple dress and Russian style hat VERY cool. The block you live on looks really nice and peaceful. Wreck of the Hesperus WOW I have not heard that saying in FOREVER not since I was a kid.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Allie! My Grandma used to say Wreck of the Hesperus all the time! xxx

      Delete
  22. Happy birthday for when the special day comes. Your curly hair looks wonderful! X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday Vix :) You look totally banging for 57! More like 37!!! If the 'IT bag' fits in name & sassiness (rumour has it Victoria Beckham is hilarious) then why not keep it?! I had to take my eldest daughter into Sports Direct in Truro for some trainers. Ever since she has asked to go again for entertainment value. Whist we were there there was a couples fight (one dragging a huge suitcase and loudly accusing the other of having an affair with sordid details) AND a shoplifting high octane action sequence :0 ;) :0 That's more drama than I can handle in the space of just twenty minutes. I do like your 70s vibe chocolate orange flowery swimsuit though. Hope you have a wonderful time xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless ya! Thanks Lulu! Sports Direct's one of the posher shops in our town centre, it's Poundland & Primark where it all kicks off here! xxx

      Delete
  24. Happy Birthday! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday.
    Love all your jewelry finds and the afghani dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't pay any attention to that fiction lover comment. I heard the same thing said for writers. Supposedly, the writers escape from their boring or empty life into books. That implies that books are an escape for the weak. Utter nonsense! Not anyone can be a reader and a writer of fiction, as both requires intelligence and imagination. Who determines what is an interesting life anyway? It is better to read and write fiction than gossip. People who gossip and bully are probably those whose lives are really empty. They also say that life is stranger than fiction. Some people should mind their own fiction.

    I absolutely love your outfits.
    My hair is hard to dry, I have to use a hair dryer even in summertime. Even professional struggle with drying it and are surprised how long it takes. However, my hair is on overall quite healthy so I will forgive it this minor flaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think people who make silly statements like that are the ones with boring lives, those of us who read wouldn't dream of being so snarky!
      My hair can still be damp 24 hours later - the hairdressers (not that I've been to one in almost two years) say I've got fine hair but a lot of it! xxx

      Delete
  27. Wonderful outfits as always and the silk cheong sam with added arse was a stunner - and warm, too! The Zara does 1970s maxi dress was also a stunner and I'd have never known. I also loved your Arts and Crafts brooch and all the fab earrings. You were very good not to buy any of the jewellery you sorted out for re sale. Its my weakness...

    The swimming costumes were brilliant finds. We no longer have a JD sports in town; it means a trip to the retail park; my idea of hell, but I also find a lot of swim suits are cut very high on the thigh and I don't like that on me. In fact I can struggle with finding a swim suit with a medium/low rise cut on the thigh but luckily have now a collection of three which I rotate.

    Hope you have a fabulous birthday and a lovely time away to enjoy it.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! Zara make some lovely stuff and it appears second hand so quickly, too - I'd been admiring that dress on another blogger only a few weeks ago.
      I'm with you hating those out-of-town shopping centres and high cut swimsuits. I didn't really need any swimsuits, I've got four already (two chazza shop finds, two M&M Direct bargains!)
      I was so restrained with my jewellery sorting , I must have know in my subconscious that Jon had bought me some amazing vintage pieces for my birthday! xxx

      Delete
  28. Forgot to mention the Victoria Beckham bag - the bargain of the year I'd say!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. HI Vix! Happy birthday for tomorrow! I hope, wherever you go, you have a happy and warm time. My money is on Madeira for your trip away!
    The Swimming costumes look great! So pretty.
    The VB bag was an astonishing find. Why on earth would someone buy something SO expensive and then give it to a charity shop, barely used!? It beggars belief!
    The Cheongsam is beautiful and suits you- Padding is always good, whether decorative or warming!
    The wonderbras were a bargain! I had a couple of Wonderbras as a teen and in my 20's. They mostly came from TK Maxx, I had a red one which I wore with my red vest top which got me the nickname 'Scarlet woman'' from this guy at music camp who I liked. I had a small chest so it did wonders for it! Ha!
    How rude about the fiction reading! I LOVE fiction and I love it for escapism- I'm proud of it, not ashamed! This is obviously from a person with no imagination!
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! Wrong - we went to Tenerife although I'd love to go to Madeira, we've gone as far as buying a travel guide but haven't found a flight cheap enough! xxx

      Delete
  30. Happy Birthday Vix - You have a figure any teenager would be proud of xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Belated birthday wishes to you, Vix! Hope you had a fantastic day and a great break away. Louise (Mids) X x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix