Friday 6 October 2023

The Serpent of Santorini & The Industrial Tomato Museum


Yassou! Another day, another adventure on beautiful Santorini. 


Near to Cape Exomitis, on the southern slope of Gavrilos Hill, are the little known rock-cut tombs known as Ancient Echendra believed to date from around the 4th Century BC. They aren't easy to find as, typically for Greece, there are no markers or signage. To get there we followed the road from Perissa to Vlychada, turned onto an inconspicuous path behind a white house and picked our way through a fava field to get a better look.


Alongside the tombs, an altar and the remains of a catacomb, we also saw the Serpent of Santorini, a bas-relief depicting a snake crawling on the rock (Echendra being the Greek word for viper). Archaeologists believe that the archaeological site may have been part of the ancient city of Eleusis and one of the most important ports of ancient Thera, mentioned by Ptolemy amongst others. In addition, rectangular niches carved into the rocks can be seen within a large fenced area stretching between the Gavrilos hill and the road.






 





I've no idea why there was a deer in the enclosure beside the tombs but he/she seemed most content basking in the September sunshine with a herd of goats. 


We continued our walk along the coast road to Vlychada and, having walked 6 km in 35°C heat, decided to treat ourselves to an ice cold frappe at a hip beachfront cafe.


Suitably refreshed we continued our journey.


Back in the 20th Century, Santorini had one of the largest tomato production lines in Greece. Before the 1980s when tourism barely existed on the island, Santorini's economy was mainly agricultural. The largest factory of its kind in Greece, the Santorini Tomato Industrial Museum is a must see to anyone interested in Greece's social history.




The museum is set up in the former factory of D. Nomikos which operated on the site from 1945 until 1981. The factory closed when most of the tomato crops were eradicated on Santorini and the factory’s activities ceased to be profitable. In 2014 the factory was transformed into a museum. An engaging audio guide talks the visitor through the whole process of the traditional production of tomato paste, from cultivation to processing and packaging. On display are antique machines, tools, old labels and documents as well as archive photographs and a documentary film presenting the history of the factory and its workers. 

If you're a fan of The Black Country Museum (and other living museums of that ilk) then I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy The Industrial Tomato Museum as much as we did. There's even an opportunity to seal and label your own can to take home and to taste the red caviar (aka D. Nomikos's delicious tomato paste) as well as a snack bar where you can indulge in a Bloody Mary with or without vodka. 

I'm happy to report that the museum gift shop was excellent with lots of quirky tomato themed goodies, Jon bought a fantastic screen-printed tomato paste tee shirt which I'm sure will make an appearance on the blog before too long. 



After Russia closed most of its orthodox churches in the wake of the 1917 revolution, Santorini was faced with a problem: Russian orthodox monks were their largest export market for wine! Looking for a new cash crop, merchants turned to tomatoes. 


Whilst they may look like standard cherry tomatoes Domati Santorini are the unique product of the island's climate and geology. Their flavour and texture come from a combination of the local soil, brimming with nutrients from millenia-old volcanic ash and the fact that the plants thrive with minimal water. Like many crops on the island, they pull all their moisture from the morning mist and require no irrigation. The resulting tomatoes have slightly dry flesh, an intense aroma and a distinctively sweet taste. I was tempted to smuggle a few seeds back in my bag but didn't want to incur the wrath of the HM Border Force back at Birmingham airport!


We were interested to learn that most of the former employees lived in Emporio (the subject of my last blog post) and would walk to and from work, a round trip of over 7 km per day. Workers worked a twelve hour shift, seven days a week from the beginning of May until the end of August. Most met their husbands and wives at the factory and spoke with great fondness of their time at the factory.





























 
The factory also produced peas canned in citric acid.







The Industrial Tomato Museum opens from April until November, the visiting hours are from 10am - 6pm Tuesday - Sunday

Admission €10 (includes an audio guide)


The museum is on the beach - once the tomatoes were processed the tins would be loaded onto boats and transported across to Aegean throughout Greece and the Balkans. We couldn't resist wandering a little further to marvel at the almost lunar-like volcanic rocks.





As luck would have it, the land train had just pulled up so we hopped aboard and headed back to Perissa. The train runs hourly between 10am and 7pm and follows the coast road from Perissa to Vlychada. You can flag it down anywhere along the route. A single fare costs €5 and a return trip €7 - a cool and breezy way of getting between the two villages if you're not as energetic as us!


We had lunch at The Volcano, one of the oldest (and prettiest) tavernas on the seafront. Needless to say, we chose a Santorini tomato salad with an obligatory beer!



If I hadn't have been travelling light I'd have packed my vintage Mexican tomato dress especially for our museum visit but I had had to make do with wearing it back at home for my walk down to the swimming baths on Tuesday morning.


Thanks for reading, see you soon! 

33 comments:

  1. That museum is fascinating and I want that tomato salad right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalispera Ruth! That museum went straight into my top ten museums of all time. I'd go back to Santorini just for a tomato! x

      Delete
  2. Thats a great day out, loads of interesting things at the museum. Somewhere nice to get out of the heat too I should think. Looking at the pics, hauling tomatoes around certainly made the men fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fascinating museum. One of the ex-workers interviewed said that they'd take bread to work and spread it with the tomato paste for lunch, they never got tired of eating it, it was the food of the gods.
      That bare chested worker reminded us of Jack Nicholson. xxx

      Delete
  3. The Industrial Tomatoes, great name for a band! Fascinating museum.Must have had a devastating effect on the community when they shut up shop at the factory?Those salad pics look so healthy!Have a good weekend, both.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, that's an excellent name for a band!
      From the video footage we watched it seemed like the employees regarded Mr Nomikos almost like a god, he loaned them money to start their own businesses, paid college & university fees and gave out cash advances to see the poorer families through Xmas. By the time the factory closed tourism had become the island's main income and tomato production on a commercial scale had almost been eradicated. xxx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had the most wonderful day, even if I wouldn't have relished the 6 km walk in 35°C! The Tomato Museum would have been exactly my thing though. While reading, I was actually thinking your Mexican tomato dress would have been perfect for the occasion ... Loving Jon's t-shirt and those volcanic rock formations are stunning! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for the little land train, a brilliantly breezy way to get to the tomato museum. We were a pair of sweaty messes by the time we got there, what is it they say about mad dogs & Englishmen?! I'm kicking myself for not packing the tomato dress, if ever there was a reason to go back! xxx

      Delete
  5. It sounds fascinatinh and there is something haunting about those images of children and men in the factory. And I agree with Ruth, I want that salad now too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so interesting. D Nomikos was regarded almost like a saint on the island. I cannot describe how good those salads are, nothing here ever compares! xxx

      Delete
  6. I forgot to add that I would love to email you about India. We are going to Kerala for the first time in January (Kovalam) and would love some tips for first timers, My email is thesmallfabric@gmail.com if you have time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in touch very soon! We've been to Kerala three times and visited Kovalam twice. I'm so excited for you! xxx

      Delete
  7. Well that looked like a fascinating museum to visit. What a pity you didn't pack your tomato dress - you could have been the museum's poster girl! Love Jon's screen print tee!
    Did you see Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy? There's a tomato farm close to Vesuvius and their tomatoes are purportedly the best in the world - obviously for the same reasons. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire! I think I was more excited about seeing the Industrial Tomato Museum than I was Oia. It was so interesting. I bet Drew Pritchard would have had a field day with all the baskets, stools and industrial lighting, lets hope he never decided to take a trip to Santorini!
      I'd forgotten all about Stanley's trip to Vesuvius and their tomatoes, it's crazy to think that the best toms in the world are grown with so little water. xxx

      Delete
  8. Interesting Museum. They had an hard working Life in the past. The Salad looks delicious. And your Tomato Dress looks adorable. Happy Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love social history so that museum was fascinating especially watching videoed interviews with the factory's former employees, it did seem like a very hard life but they seemed to have loved their time there. xxx

      Delete
  9. Santorini tomato seeds are available on a .com called tomatofest (at least they are available for shipping to the US)! Very excited to learn of a low-water heirloom. Your travelogue reminded me of an old movie, Before the Rain, set in Macedonia and London. Thanks for that, and for sharing your stories with us. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth. Yes, Santorini tomato seeds are available online for customers in the US and Australia but sadly, not for UK residents! If you do managed to grow some i'd love to know your thoughts. I'll hopefully be sharing a tomato fritter recipe on my blog very soon. xxx PS I don't know that film. We visited Halkidiki (formerly part of Macedonia) back in May.

      Delete
    2. Our temps just went from 32c to 6c over the past 4 days, I still have produce to pick, so naturally I've already ordered those seeds for next year. W be sure to look up your Halkidki trip! It's been a minute (or - cough - 30 years, whatever) since I saw it, but will be watching it online this weekend. Looking at the trailer, the scenery is arid and lush. Very like your post! Not sure if links are allowed, but here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/4EgDY0JrA7w?feature=shared

      Delete
    3. Goodness me, what a drop in temperature! I'm off to check out that link, thanks so much for that! xxx

      Delete
  10. That was so great. I was transported to another world. The blue skies …I could feel the warmth on this chilly, rainy Spring ? Day here. I lost all my favourites for so long. My husband has died since I last watched and I have been ill. Whoever came to fix my iPad hid my favourites. I found them in the most magical way. 🙃 you and Jon haven’t changed a bit. So wonderful to find you again. Can’t wait to see your house , cats and gardens again. Heaps of love ❤️ Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, Sally. It's really good to hear from you again. Sending lots of love to the other side of the world. xxx

      Delete
  11. How great that you could seal and label your own tomato cans, Vix! And your gorgeous tomato dress is a perfect way to finish your tomato themed blog post. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have loved to have sealed my own can to take home, Jess. Sadly we were traveling with carry-on baggage only so no liquids or pastes over 100ml! x

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you gave my favorite tomato dress a shout-out at the end of the blog. While reading about your tour of the tomato museum I kept thinking it would have been the perfect thing to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, StrictlyMystic! I'm kicking myself for not packing that tomato dress! I clearly need to go back! x

      Delete
  13. What an adventure! I would love to visit Santorini some day. I enjoyed reading about tomato museum. I also remembered your fabulous tomato dress. It would be perfect for this visit.
    ..but you do look amazing in all of your dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana - you are kind! Santorini is a fascinating place, virtually deserted in some parts and absolute madness in others! xxx

      Delete
  14. I LOVE THAT THERE IS A TOMATO MUSEUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so brilliant! Sad to hear that tourism changed the main stay income method of the island though. You need some tomato earrings Vix!
    That salad looks really scrummy!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession time - when I learnt that Santorini had a tomato museum I booked the flights! It's worth going to for the museum alone! Tomato earrings, why hadn't I thought of that? I'm off to investigate! xxx

      Delete
  15. mwhaha, so fab 'tomato themed' post, that even included a photo of your thematic dress too!, so lovely!. And such an interesting museum, I'm glad to see that the industrial heritage is appreciated and showed, it's really amazing!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd have packed my tomato dress, if ever there was an occasion to wear it then the Tomato Museum was that! xxx

      Delete
  16. Oooh, can't beat a really good, fresh tomato. At least the tomato dress brings back holiday memories for you, even if it didn't make it to Santorini.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix