Tuesday 18 July 2023

Another Greek Epic - Paleokastrítsa, Corfu



Paleokastrítsa on the island of Corfu, is there a more beautiful place on earth?



One of the first to fall for its charms was Sir Frederick Adam, the British High Commissioner to the Ionian islands in the early 19th century. Paleokastrítsa's appeal lay in her deep wooded slopes, blue sea and bathing beaches but the problem was the relative inaccessibility so Sir Frederick had a road built to the village, with the ostensible purpose of erecting a military convalescent home there. It was never built but Sir Frederick found it a lot easier to take his regular picnics in Paleokastrítsa.


The artist, Edward Lear (1812 -1888) certainly thought so and immortalised it in his watercolours HERE.


In Prospero's Cell (1945), Lawrence Durrell described Paleokastrítsa as having the most beautiful view in the whole of the Mediterranean and we think so too, having just returned from our fourth visit.











The rock on the right of the photo above is said by the locals to be the petrified ship of Odysseus.



Anyway, first things first. After dabbling with a package holiday earlier this year, this time we were back in our comfort zone, travelling independently, flying with Ryanair and using Booking.com for our accommodation. Three days after getting home from Glastonbury we walked to Walsall station and caught the express train to Birmingham International. We'd planned to meet our friends Claire and Gareth who were flying to Prague later that day, but they'd got caught up in roadworks so it was beers for two in 'Spoons in the departure lounge. Our three and a half hour flight arrived on time and the driver of the taxi we'd booked before leaving the UK was waiting when we landed (the flight arrived too late for us to catch the bus). Like many young Greeks, Demetri was a metalhead and, after asking first, played us a medley of his favourite bands, including Greek black metal band, Rotting Christ. Our drive up to Paleokastritsa must have looked like a scene from Wayne's World, with us tearing through the inky black night headbanging to Metalica. 


Twenty minutes later and we'd arrived at what was to be our home for the next fortnight, the strawberry pink Elena. Travelling with just hand luggage, it took less than five minutes to unpack and, after the madness of Glasto, we spent our first evening quietly drinking wine on the balcony, listening to the mechanical hoot of the Scops owls whilst pine martens cavorted below us. 

Our room was on the first floor....



....And this was the view from our bed.


Oh yes, talk about a surprise, when I booked Elena I had no idea it had a pool. Normally we'd steer clear of swimming pools but this was fresh water, cleaned daily by owner Demetrius and - the very best bit - none of the other guests used it! Although we swam in the sea every day, an evening swim before heading out for the evening was absolute bliss.


We'd breakfast on locally grown fruit, juicy pears, sweet black grapes, nectarines and apricots so ripe we could tear them apart with our fingers accompanied with thick Greek yoghurt and forest honey collected from hives located on the mountain slopes behind us. 


Of course made friends with lots of cats. This is Ariadne who took a liking to Jon's shorts.


We spent most of our time doing what we do best, basking in the sunshine and cooling down by jumping off rocks into the crystal clear waters of the Ionian. 








When we weren't baking ourselves one of Paleokastrítsa's many secluded beaches you'd find us in Acapulco.


To describe it as snack bar does it no justice at all. 








I loved jumping off the rocks and swimming to Liapades, the beach on the left of the photo above. 4 km by road, it's less than a 20 minute swim away. If anyone had suggested I'd do that a couple of years ago I'd have called them mad. I'm not sure where my lifelong fear of swimming in deep water went, I became a mermaid after reaching 55!




Being up in the mountainous northwest of the island, Paleokastrítsa sees some incredibly dramatic skies but luckily these ominous clouds only hung around for half a day.


Nestled on the top of the cliff, the Oceanis was once a thriving hotel boasting commanding views of the Ionian sea. This once grand hotel used to be busy all year round as holiday makers headed out for the sunshine in Corfu, but around 15 years ago during the Greek recession, the hotel closed its doors for the last time. Taking advantage of a gap in the fence we had a sneaky peek around.




Probably not everyone's idea of sightseeing but we can't resist a derelict building.




















We visited Paleokastrítsa's Corfu Aquarium for the first time. Opening in 2019, the 6 euro admission fee includes a guided tour and use of the sunbeds on the main beach but the highlight of my trip was being allowed to cuddle a python. 



We were mesmerised by this beautiful octopus, how anyone can eat one is beyond me.


The map said that the aquarium was a 35 minute walk from Elena but us being us, after exploring Oceanis and stopping to chat to every cat we encountered and snap a billion photos, that half hour walk took more than an hour!










Paleokastrítsa nights are low key, after Glastonbury it's just the way we like them. With the evening temperature rarely dipping below 30°C it was all about staying hydrated and being mesmerised by the sunsets.



Favourite hang-outs included Elia Taverna, owned by the same family as Acapulco and where we are greeted like old friends.



Spiros Taverna
, where it turned out we'd missed out on dining alongside Ralph Fiennes by a week (HERE). Amazingly Jon resisted the meat and shared the amazing vegetarian mezzes instead. I'm not sure what Ralph ate!



Cactus, where George has a mind boggling collection of vinyl. The soundtrack is Northern Soul and Rare Groove with plenty of 1970s disco & British indie thrown into the mix, the Greeks love their music! They do a fabulous vegetarian gyro. 



Many an evening we'll pop in for a sunset drink and end up staying all night. The music and the vibe is just magical plus you get to cuddle a cat.











Other than a rum and coke at home the thought of cocktails leave me cold - give me an ice cold pint of lager or a glass of rustic red any day of the week - but this year I discovered The Corfiot made with the local kumquat liqueur and deliciously sharp and thirst quenching...Yammas! And before you moan about plastic waste - that's a paper straw.


The Paleo Disco shut down twenty years ago!




La Grotta, the coolest spot on the island since 1960....















 Paleokastrítsa is halfway up a mountain so access to the sea involves negotiating lots of steps....it's not the place for anyone with mobility issues, pushchairs or prams and high heels are a definite no-no.


There's 183 steps from the La Grotta bar back up to the road. Do excuse Jon's language, you can't take him anywhere.


The food of the gods! No ultra processed food served here, everything's local, seasonal and f*cking delicious. 


As I mentioned, we decided to forego the checked baggage, opting for Ryanair's new Priority & Two Cabin Bags option : A small personal bag (40x20x25cm), which must fit under the seat in front plus a 10kg bag (55x40x20cm) to be taken onboard. I wore a cotton dress, straw hat, a pair of knickers & my flatform walking sandals to travel in and packed four other cotton/linen dresses, a pair of cotton shorts, an Indian cotton shirt, a cotton tunic, a scarf, two bikinis, a cross body bag & an embroidered clutch, leather gladiator sandals and some pool slides. We kept toiletries to an absolute minimum - four bottles of once-a-day sun protection decanted into six 100ml bottles and shared between us, a bar of soap, eye make-up remover wipes, disposable razor, toothbrushes and paste, a Lush shampoo & conditioner bar. I packed mascara, an eyeliner pencil, tweezers, creme blush, a single eyeshadow, one lipstick, magnifying mirror and had a gel manicure so I didn't have to fuss around with painting my nails. Along with my Ereader, mobile phone, three pairs of earrings, six bangles, two necklaces and rings my bag weighed in at 6kg.


Saffron linen maxi by Beaumont Organic (£3, clearance charity shop, 2022) with Moroccan-made leather clutch bag (British Heart Foundation, 2016)

 
1970s House of Lavinia maxi dress (bought from the Salvation Army for 75p in 2010)


Star Mela embroidered cotton maxi (£5 online bargain!) with leather comfort sole gladiators (bought last year)


Pink City Prints block printed cotton "Tango" maxi (cheeky sale buy, last seen in Halkidiki back in May) worn with a woven straw bag (handmade in Crete, bought from Banardos in 2021)


Dilli Grey "Yasmin" block printed sundress (bought last year and worn in Rhodes) 


Star Mela embroidered blouse (£2, charity shop find) worn with Devotion Twins woven Greek cotton shorts (Athenian designer label which retails at £90, second hand price - £9!) worn with my Teva Universal Midforms - waterproof, vegan, recycled fabric, lightweight and adjustable - the best travel sandals ever!


Star Mela embroidered cotton tunic (£5, eBay) 


Lord Jon's travel bag also weighed in at 6kg. He travelled in a long sleeved Breton tee-shirt, his denim flat cap, Veja trainers & a pair of shorts and packed five short sleeved & two long sleeved linen/cotton/rayon shirts, two more pairs of cotton shorts, two pairs of swim shorts, his Teva sandals and pool slides. As well as half the decanted sun protection he took a razor, blades, some painkillers just in case his knees played up (they didn't!), his phone, a straw trilby, Ereader, waterproof camera and a MP3 player with headphones and the rucksack given away free with The Guardian at this year's Glastonbury.


We bought Greek cotton hammam towels and a parasol from the village mini market on our first day, took them to the beach every day and left them in our apartment when we left. 






With the exception of his denim flat cap, Tevas and the crossbody leather bag, bought in Rhodes in 2021, all Lord Jon's wardrobe was charity shopped.


Believe it or not we eventually managed to tear ourselves away from this view to explore a little further afield. Stay tuned for where we visited next. I'll try and squeeze everything in before we head off to our next festival - six days and counting!


PS Thanks for your comments on my Glastonbury post. I'm sorry I've not had time to answer you all individually. 


38 comments:

  1. Strawberry pink Elena, that gave me a good chuckle. Philip’s twin sister is called Elena. That’s going to stick in my head now when I see her.
    What a blissful holiday, sun, cats, beer, swimming and good food. A well deserved treat after Glasto. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Philip's twin was Elena! No chance of her going strawberry pink with the summer we're getting, rusty orange more like! xxx

      Delete
  2. Goodness Vix, you and Jon have such a busy life! I admire your restraint in packing so lightly. Love seeing all your photos. The video of the two of you climbing the stairs…..you both are in great shape obviously. Looking forward to the next post!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robin. I did wonder if we'd manage on hand luggage only for a fortnight away but we were fine, i think I'll probably take even less next time! xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow! What an amazing place and you and Lord Jon look amazing throughout. I'm always intrigued by what you manage to cram into carry on luggage, you really have made packing into an artform. I must learn to travel lighter, not just for holidays, but on a day to day basis. Anyway, I digress, what a fabulous time it looks like you've had. It looks so laid back and relaxed. I can barely keep up with your adventures. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I'm always reassessing my packing after each trip, blogging is brilliant for that as I can look back to what I actually wore and see if I can leave more stuff behind next time. It's so liberating not to take loads of stuff with us, it's not like you can't buy anything you need in Greece! xxx

      Delete
  4. What a delight to read about the latest adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Pics, i also love your Summer Dresses. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, be still my heart - what fabulous views, and cats, and colour, and well - just everything!

    I remember Acapulco from your last visit, all your food looks quite gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jayne! I've been lapping up your travelogue, I've promised myself a mega catch-up session once I've packed the van for next week's festival! Acapulco is wonderful, I shouldn't really mention it or there'll be no room for us next year! xxx

      Delete
  7. I love all your pictures. It is so beautiful there. Also love your cotton tunic and green & white maxi dress. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. from aggie III*-where were you we were so worried-glad you went for some sun and fun after the big festival-we love you both

    [* note: we have gone through two aggies, as they have left us to travel in the great beyond...so this is the 3rd aggie who has joined in to follow you ~K]

    from edna-we thought you were sick-glad you were having fun instead-it is too hot here to do anything it is awful-you look great in your ensembles

    from dolores - do you have to hang your lovely long dresses out to steam in the bathroom to get the wrinkles out we cannot see any wrinkles in your pictures-however do you do it

    from clyde -was it expensive - was probably expensive

    from lillian-did lord jon get to go the the crowning thing what a difference to go to that dry old event and then go to the festival and then go to greece what did he like best-he has cute legs

    from mickey-what was the best of all the food you ate in greece, did you get to see how it was prepared, miss k says vix doesn't eat meat is that hard to do when you travel

    from an exhausted minion (Kathryn): the gang has been having a FIT as they can look at your blog on the senior center laptop-- but cannot write to you, they haven't had me at their immediate beck and call of late...AND they were missing your posts! I have left the bulk of what they banged away on my poor laptop as is, correcting only what spellcheck made weird...so what you see is what they are thinking. Clyde is SO concerned that the trip was costly...no idea why other than a chum of his is going to Greece with family and they are planning on staying at ridiculously posh places...they NEVER have as much fun as you guys do, nor do they provide pics of the trip as you two are kind enough to do. Glad you had fun! We must have watched the stair climbing vid Lord Jon shot 3 times...the gang was mesmerized at how Vix climbed right along! (The old dudes were also enamored of her rear view going up the stairs...ah hem!) Hee!

    We are MELTING here! Love from the sweaty gaggle of Ancients and the rapidly aging Minion here in old, HOT, nasty St.Louie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathryn and gang! It's lovely to hear from you and I'm sorry for your concern over our absence. Welcome to the fold, dear Aggie!
      Edna, your weather has been making the news here. The Uk's having a wet and miserable summer. I'm hoping it cheers up in time for next week's festival.
      Dolores - I roll my dresses together when I pack them and they seem to escape the journey relatively crease-free.
      Clyde - The flight prices have gone up a lot this year but we managed to find a couple of return flights for less than £200 (without luggage) and the accommodation was £40 a night, which wasn't too bad for peak season!
      Lilian - Jon's invite must have got lost in the post, he much prefered Glastonbury and Corfu and he's blushing over your kind comment!
      Mickey - all the food we ate was delicious but I think my favourite things are dolmades (stuffed vine leaves), gigantes (giant butter beans in tomato sauce) and kolkomedes (courgette and feta fritters). Religious Greeks often abstain from eating meat and fish before festivals so it's not hard to be a vegetarian.I didn't see my food being prepared but Jon saw the gyros being made!

      I promise to post more frequently in future, I was tempted to post a photo on my blog of our holiday while we were in Corfu but this mobile phone malarky is still new to me!

      Sending you lots of love and cool breezes! xxx

      Delete
  9. Glad you both enjoyed some well earned time in the sun. What a beautiful spot , I remember those stunning blue waters from a visit to Greece way back. I am in awe of your packing skills, those dresses each one stunning on you. The food looks simply delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jill! The colour of the sea is just incredible, isn't it? I wonder if people who've never been to Greece think it's just a filter! xxx

      Delete
  10. Looks like you had a fab time. We are now back in Blighty for the tattoo and my parents are even coming with us time. We are currently in the Lake District. I am going up one of the wainwrights today. Pregnant or not they are not that hard. I am going with a friend.
    I hear they are have El Niño weather other there. I think I would rather stay here. I am still weary about travel post covid. Every time a friend has been abroad they return with a dose of covid.
    I love cats we tried one with milo before we left but he terrorised the poor thing so my friend took the poor shell shocked cat back. Yet he loves the hamster and the house rabbit. I was worried you were sick . But I am glad all is well. Take care and be safe. Love and hugs Allie jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allie, welcome back to Blighty!! My brother's up in Edinburgh at the moment, he's got tickets for the cricket. I hope your Wainwright walk went well and you didn't get drenched. I saw on the news that Japan were having a miserably wet summer this year, too. It's never hot enough for me, I hope it bucks its ideas up for next week's festival, I don't want to be cramping my style in a coat and wellies! xxx

      Delete
  11. How do you manage to find such beautiful places to holiday? Would love a post on criteria for places to stay too. Fabulous pics as always.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea for a future blog post! xxx

      Delete
  12. Paleokastrítsa does indeed look breathtakingly beautiful, like heaven on earth. No wonder you keep returning again and again.
    I wouldn't have minded a peek into that abandoned hotel either, but I wonder why it took you so long to visit the Aquarium and make friends with its inhabitants!
    Love the photos of you two in front of the Paleo Disco, I'm surprised they didn't reopen the joint at the spot!
    And obviously I'm loving all your fabulous outfits, that saffron linen maxi is particularly glorious.
    Can't wait for the next installment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is stunning, Ann. I find it hard to tear myself away from that view and go anywhere else on the island!
      I loved the aquarium, I was bouncing up and down at the thought of handling a python I probably pushed a kid or three out of the way to get to it first! xxx

      Delete
  13. welcome back! I am impressed with how well you packed, both of you look fabulous in every pic. Loved seeing everything, the cats, abandoned building, beautiful blue sea. The accommodation is so pretty and, being a pool poser, I would have been well happy with that lovely pool. Octopus are apparently very intelligent and I saw a tv prog recently where one was playing and touching a human as they seem to like interaction, I agree - why on earth would you want to eat one. I am afraid of deep water yet I love swimming and can do a mile or two so must get over it if it means swimming in fabulous waters like those - can't wait for more pics, have been checking for your posts regularly and getting withdrawal symptoms!. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! Pool poser, indeed! I probably wouldn't have gone near that pool if anyone else had been in it but having it to ourselves was bliss. I'm not sure how I managed to lose that fear of deep water but I'm glad I have! I hope the same happens to you eventually.
      That octopus looked at us like she wanted to be our friend, they way she moved was so elegant. xxx

      Delete
  14. Yay! Glad you're back safely - I was thinking of you after every news/weather report of extreme temps and hoping you were keeping well on your travels. Hope your next festival goes as good as Glasto - missed your outfit fabulousity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine! Funnily enough last year's trip coincided with another heatwave! xxx

      Delete
  15. Man, the heat jumps off the page! Beautiful landscapes, gorgeous food and outfits; I love the Pink City Prints dress and those Devotion Twin shorts!
    It seems like the perfect post Glastonbury holiday destination...and to have your own pool too? Heaven!
    I would happily have joined you for a wander through that abandoned hotel. I also laughed out loud at Jon's mumblings and grumblings on the long walk from La Grotta. I expect him to take them two at a time next time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, you can almost see it shimmering before your eyes - bit of a difference to here at the mo! I knew you'd love that hotel, the graffiti was spectacular but we felt a bit naughty climbing through the fence to get a better look! xxx

      Delete
  16. You certainly earnt your refreshments climbing all those steps! I can see why you love these places and want to live in sunnier climes. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, we can eat like Greek gods but all the walking and swimming and stair climbing means we never gain a lb! xxx

      Delete
  17. Amazing pictures and a joyful experience to read and view. I always enjoy your travel posts. For fun I priced out going to Greece this fall. Shockingly more affordable than I imagined. Maybe next fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Sam! That's good news, I know you'd love Greece if you manage to get there. Flight prices from the UK to the Greek Islands are a lot more than in previous years but accomodation remains great value! xxx

      Delete
  18. Getting caught up! I read this post the other day over breakfast, and thoroughly enjoyed going on your trip with you and Jon. Aw, the kitties everywhere, the abandoned resort, the Paleo Disco (I see you getting your Travolta on!). I do approve of your light travel packing, but also that you are both so utterly fabulously dressed. I bet you stick out among the tourists!

    Thanks so much for all the lovely comments, dear Vix. <3 Sending much love to you both, and Mr. William.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! Sending loads of love back at you from us and William in his snazzy new pistachio velvet collar! xxx

      Delete
  19. Oh I did enjoy this post Vix! Loved the video of you and Lord Jon drinking beer and the steps video is hilarious :) :) :) (is Jon not fond of steps?) xXx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning vistas, delicious food and loads of cats - what is not to like?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix