Saturday 22 July 2023

Another Greek Epic - Kerkyra & The Old Soap Factory


A trip to the island's premier town, Kerkyra (Corfu Town) is always a highlight. As usual we caught the bus from Paleokastritsa. The journey takes around forty minutes, we usually catch the 9.20am there and take the 3pm bus back. 





I've been following Ethnasia on Facebook for ages before I realised that they were based in Corfu Town and was very excited to stumble across their shop within a few minutes of getting off the bus. Their handmade, ethnic-inspired jewellery is just as gorgeous in real life and I was spoilt for choice - in the end buying Third Eye & Ofis pendants, an Ofis ring and another snake-type ring set with gemstones. Stunning & stylish assistant Alexandra was so lovely and made us very welcome, I could probably have browsed the shop all day. 


We'd swooned over the exhibits in The Museum of Asian Art back in 2017 and decided it was high time for a repeat visit. The museum is set within the glorious State Rooms of the Palace of St Michael and St George. 


A passionate collector of Asian art, Gregorios Manos was born in Corfu and rose to become a diplomat. In 1919 when he was Greek Ambassador to Austria, he offered his large collection to the state, on the condition that he could retire on a pension and spend the rest of his days as curator of the museum. Sadly it took until 1927 for any agreement to be reached and Manos died in poverty a year later, reputedly all spent out after a lifetime of collecting. 





I wore my new jewellery straightaway! 


Visitors aren't allowed to photograph the exhibits so, rather than risk getting told off, I pinched this photo from their website. The exhibits are magnificent, comprising hand-painted 18th century silk kimonos, courtesan's masks, Samurai armour and swords, 12th Century Indian erotic art, tribal jewellery, Ming dynasty ceramics, Afghani temple treasures, Khmer Buddha heads, opium pipes, ginger jars and Japanese rice screens. The museum is also hosting temporary exhibition of nomadic textiles which is utterly gorgeous.




At 11.50am we dashed across town to the Patounis Soap Factory, just in time to catch the free tour which takes place every day at midday although the shop is open to customers between 9.30am and 2.30pm


Said to be the oldest soap factory in Greece and one of the few remaining soap factories in the world, the Patounis family have been making hand-crafted soap on Corfu for five generations. Established in 1850, the company moved to its current premises in 1891 and most of the original equipment remains in use today. The factory is listed with the Greek Ministry of Culture as a monument of industrial archaeology and the Patounis soapmaking technique inscribed on the National Inventory of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Greece. 


The soap uses only the basic raw material of traditional soap making; naturally occurring oils, soda, sea salt and water. No artificial fragrances whatsoever. The smell is absolutely amazing.


The factory produces three soaps, olive oil soap (made with pure virgin olive oil) and highly recommended for sensitive skin, green olive soap (made of olive pomace oil which contains chlorophyll) which is renowned for its disinfecting properties as well as being excellent for skin and hair washing (but short hair only, apparently) and green laundry soap (made from olive pomace oil with extra alkaline) which is brilliant for both handwashing and for household chores. Patounis also sell soap flakes which can be used to fill tulle or organza pouches and used as a moth repellent or dissolved in water and used for everything from personal hygiene, fruit & veg prep, cleaning floors, bathrooms and work surfaces, clothes washing or as an organic pesticide. 


Patounis have now discontinued making the Olive-Palm soap due to the ethical issues (deforestation) in its production.


If you're a fan of living museums like The Black Country Museum a visit to the Patounis Soap Factory should go to the top of your list. We loved it. HERE's their website.
































Needless to say, we couldn't leave without buying a couple of bars and it is absolutely incredible (and really good value). I've always loved handmade soap but I think this might be the best I've ever tried. If you can't get to Corfu, don't despair, its available online. This UK seller sells Patounis soap on both eBay HERE and Etsy HERE.


Lunch was, as always, eaten al fresco on the Listón, the elegant terrace of shady cafés bordering the Esplanade and reminiscent of Paris's Rue de Rivoli, hardly surprising as the area was designed and built by a Frenchman.




With temperatures in the mid-40s, we made the most of our shady table and lunch was a long and leisurely affair. The food at Aegli, the oldest restaurant in Corfu Town was up to its usual deliciously high standards and, being in such a good spot, the people watching opportunities were second to none. 




















If I were as rich as Croesus this sold gold snake headpiece would definitely have come home with me! 











After a final wander through the atmospheric streets it was time to catch the bus home and within minutes of disembarking we'd changed into our swimming gear & were cooling down in our almost-private swimming pool.


Although we only visited Corfu Town once during the fortnight we spent on the island, we did catch the bus back there on our last day as, most conveniently, the airport is a twenty minute walk from the town centre - another reason why travelling with just a small carry-on bag is the sensible choice, especially in 45°C heat!


Stay tuned for my final instalment which hopefully I can squeeze in before we head off to our next festival.

32 comments:

  1. Just me alone checking in this time...once the Ancients get a load of all these AMAZING photos, I will be bombarded with phone calls with notes and questions to pass on to you! Thanks so much for sending each one a personal response last time. They were SO happy and insisted I read each response out loud so everyone could show off to the other folks in the center. Honestly, you have a cult following here!!!! For myself...these are absolutely spectacular photos...I feel like I am right there with you! So very thoughtful of you to share with us all. The gang does have one pressing question, so I will send it along: if you decided to undertake a lifestyle change, where would you two relocate? For some reason they all want to know! Love from murderously hot and humid St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always to joy to hear from both you and the Ancients, Kathryn and i'm always happy to answer their questions!
      If we could we'd move to Greece - that house we fell in love with in Lakones would have suited us perfectly. Sadly we'd not be able to live there all the time because of Brex**t - non Europeans can only stay for 90 days out of every 180 unless we invested £250,000, learned Greek and applied for a Golden Ticket but we will find a way one day! xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm sweaty and hungry so zeroed in on both the soaps and your al fresco lunch. Always a treat to see your adventures..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this! I love museums of ordinary things like this! I might have to invest in some of that soap!
    I love handmade products! I just messaged the Northumbrian maker of CBC's favourite face cream (& mine) as she doesn't make the men's face cream any more but she's making a batch specially for me and delivering it to Hexham for me. That's service!
    I must go back to Greece but it is Switzerland this year instead!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such lovely soap, Kezzie. I love that there's only four ingredients in it and that you can buy it loose! That's brilliant service from your Hexham maker, I remember you blogging about their products and being very excited when i found a tube of their fig hand cream in a charity shop recently!
      There's some really quirky museums in Greece, Corfu has a bank note museum which sounds dull but was fascinating. Who knew there was a "raisin crisis" in the 1890s?
      Switzerland will be amazing, are they still offering free public transport? xxx

      Delete
  4. I usually use Little soap company olive soap, but I will now be putting in an order for Patounis. Thank you for the recommendation. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, I think you'll be impressed! xxx

      Delete
  5. Love the way that you both seek out different things to see and do, whilst travelling. I too, love hand crafted soap. Especially Rose, or Sandalwood. We have a lot of markets in New Zealand where you can buy them. Hard to resist actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pore over guidebooks, travel forums and Facebook pages before I go anywhere, I love having lots of options to explore! I was so excited when I read about the soap factory, like you I find it hard to resist buying! xxx

      Delete
  6. Always love your travel diaries. The soap factory was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie! We loved the soap factory, it was fascinating - and lovely to look at! xxx

      Delete
  7. I absolutely loved tagging along to Patounis Soap Factory. How wonderfully atmospheric it is, and I can almost smell the scent of the soap. Will have to see if I can find it here in Belgium.
    I'm also swooning over your Ethnasia jewellery buys, which are simply stunning and very you! As is that gold snake headpiece, which should be yours by rights.
    Not sure if temperatures in the mid-40s would agree with me, but I'm glad to read you've been taking it all in your stride.
    Bring on the final episode ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get the soap in Belgium, it really is fabulous stuff! The smell was incredible! I was so excited to stumble across Ethnasia, too - I was spoilt for choice when it came to choosing a few pieces - another good reason to go back! xxx

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed seeing the soap factory through your eyes. Looks an amazing place to visit, but in the cooler months for me! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame there aren't direct flights to Corfu during the Winter, there's so much to see and do in Corfu town! xxx

      Delete
  9. Photos are lovely.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. The soap factory looks worth a visit, I bet the smell was fabulous. I noticed the wooden crates - don't things always look more desirable and exotic when another language is printed on them! Your pink dress is pretty. These islands have so much to see and do that I think we will be exploring them soon too :) Betty (blogger not letting me sign in, Elderberry-rob)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about those crates and how they're al the more enticing with a different language printed on the. I can spend ages in a foreign supermarket!
      The soap factory is so worth visiting, I'd happily have paid for the tour. xxx

      Delete
  11. You take such amazing adventures... I had heard on the News today tho' that Greece got some 110 degree days, which for here in the Desert of AZ is normal, I'd imagine not so much there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough we were there during the heatwave last year - it must follow us around. Back at home it's miserable, unseasonably cool and ridiculously wet but far preferable to those terrible forest fires. xxx

      Delete
  12. That soap factory looks fascinating, as does the Museum (boo for not taking pics!), thank you for taking us along, Vix! I am in love with all the snake jewelry you've found! Yikes, 40+ degrees! That's horrendous! Sending you cool west coast breezes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd approve of the snake jewellery. I really want that headdress! xxx

      Delete
  13. I love the pic with the washing line spread across the street! Those poor souls in Rhodes and other overheated places. I stopped using Marseillaise soap when I found out that it had palm oil in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the washing strung out across the streets like that. I bet it doesn't take long to dry at the moment.
      Our friend in Rhodes is currently volunteering with the fire service, the photos he sent us are awful. xxxx

      Delete
  14. Wonderful photos, and wonderful food by the looks of it. I remember my washing strung out across the street when we lived in a flat in Barrow in Furness .... it did not look as glamorous as the washing in your photo, and no doubt took longer to dry here in not so sunny England.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trying to catch up!
    I can see why you loved the soap factory so much - absolutely fascinating!
    Gorgeous sunny photos of happier times....they're really suffering at the moment aren't they? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, I'm totally in love with Corfu and your greek holiday, having read your posts one after other with a smile on my face!
    In love with the cute kitties, the old doors and traditional architecture, the landscapes and paths (really best views ever!), that soap factory, the fabulous jewellery (ohhh), geraniums growing in tin boxes (so spanish too! ;DD). But not in love with those 40ºC!, not my kind of weather, dear Vix.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello again Vix, I too am enjoying a good catch up, cuppa at hand. The soap factory looks fascinating. How wonderful the look of concentration of the man scoring the soap blocks. Oh yes, I can absolutely picture you wearing that golden Medusa headpiece at your next festival :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems you had such a great time in Greece. Isn't it great when you find shops like that?
    My late grandmother used to make her own olive oil soap. All the women used to make their own soap.
    So wonderful you bought a bar of that excellent soap.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wouldn't have thought a visit to a soap factory would be so entertaining, but your words and photos made me want to visit. I was thinking of you and Jon while reading the news about the wildfires in Greece, knowing how much you love it there. It really does look lovely there, but I wouldn't be able to hand the 40 degree + temperatures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix