Monday 29 May 2023

Halkidiki - Food, Fashion & Friendships


 Kalispera! I hope you're enjoying the same gloriously sunny weather as us. I spent all weekend in a bikini and my Greek tan has been topped up very nicely. As Jon's glued to a Bank Holiday war film I thought I'd crack on with the final instalment of the Halkidiki travel blog. 


Each morning, after Greek yogurt and salad, bought from the supermarket, prepared in the room and eaten on the balcony, we'd head out, either for one of our walks or straight down to the beach where - after a break for a late & lazy lunch - we'd stay until gone 6pm.
 

Despite finally joining the 21st Century with a mobile phone, there's been a distinct lack of food photos so here's just a few of our lunchtime salads eaten in the various seafront tavernas. Unlike many of the Islands, Halkidiki's prices are really reasonable, with the bill for salad, a basket of bread, water and two large beers costing under €20. Two homemade breakfasts with seeded grapes the size of gobstoppers, juicy strawberries, crisp green apples and a generous dollop of full fat Greek yogurt worked out at a total cost of €2.60 per day.


When we travel we want our evenings to be like our days, low-key, laid back and authentic, no nightclubs, no karaoke, no tribute bands, no quiz nights, sports bars or Irish pubs and definitely no curries (unless we're in India!), Chinese buffets or roast dinners. We don't leave the country to experience what we can get at home. We like nothing better than sitting outside a little taverna beneath the stars chatting until late into the night sharing a bottle of wine and some good, honest, home-cooked food. We make a beeline for places with checked tablecloths, painted chairs with rush seats, bouzouki music, menus without photographs of the food and we never eat anywhere where the waiters stand outside trying to entice passers-by in. 


Our evenings always started (and usually ended) with a rum & cola on the balcony. We'd head into town for a beer and eat around 9pm where our fellow diners would be predominately Greek. Dinner for two with a carafe of the local red wine in Polychrono costs between €22 - 30. Most of the time Lord Jon & I would share a selection of mezzes - dolmades, kolokithokefedes, gigantes, saganaki, grilled mushrooms, baked Feta.....my mouth is watering remembering it! Occasionally Jon fancied a meat dish so rather than plough through the menu I'd ask the waiter to bring me a meat and fish-free alternative (don't ask for vegetarian food as many Greeks consider fish a vegetarian option!)


This Greek version of ratatouille, served at George's Taverna, was absolutely delicious.


As was the gemista (stuffed tomatoes and peppers) at El Gato Negro.


You can always tell when someone's never been to Greece - they order puddings! Don't beware Greeks bearing gifts, as it's usually food and drink. If we didn't get homemade cakes, pancakes and ice creams we'd be given starters or jugs of ouzo and raki.

For the first couple of evenings the temperatures dropped to around 16°C so we were glad we'd travelled in jackets. 


Dusk in Halkidiki is magical, the sky turns the most delicate shades of pale blue and lilac and the setting sun sparkles on the water with a rosy-gold shimmer. It flatters even the most sun-starved skin tone.


Although I'd bought both these dresses months ago, it was the first time I'd worn them and goodness me, did they get a positive reaction! Apparently my wardrobe was the main topic of conversation when we walked through the Ammos bar to go out every evening. 
 

The closest taverna was the top rated El Gato Negro and, with a certain black cat having adopted us only a few weeks before, it was inevitable that we'd have to pop in. 


And it turned out that owners, Demetrius and Panagiotis, were Charlatans fans! 


The food was sensational, the resident cats were gorgeous and the brothers very generous with their drinks on the house. One of the Tripadvisor reviews simply said "You're mad if you don't go!"


On the way out every night we'd stop for an outfit photo...obviously it was really hard to try and stand somewhere that looked Greek...not!


As the week wore on, the evening temperatures got warmer and we threw caution to the wind leaving the jackets back in the room.






We met John & Cheryl one evening - other than the guests in Ammos, Brits are very much in the minority in Polychrono, the majority of tourists being from Eastern Europe and Greece (many Greeks own holiday homes in Halkidiki). John & Cheryl are Greek residents and have lived there for 16 years. Despite being almost sick with envy over their lifestyle, we got on like a house on fire, went back to their stunning apartment for G'n'Ts and met up for drinks, dinner .... and more drinks a couple of night later. They told us that they usually give the few British tourists they encounter a wide berth but made an exception for us!


This was at the popular seafront taverna, Flegra, look at that view! Its where all the hip young Greeks head to on a Saturday night.



And all too soon it was Monday morning and time to be picked up and taken to the airport. Where's your bag? I was asked by the other guests, astounded that Jon & I shared luggage. No-one could believe I travelled without a huge suitcase. I mean this as a compliment, said one of our fellow travellers, but I thought you'd be really high maintenance as you always look fantastic. A couple of women asked me for some tips for packing light - I suggested to them that, rather than stuff a case with a different outfit for every day, just pack a handful of garments you absolutely love, that way you'll wear them repeatedly and always feel fabulous. This bargain Pink City Prints Tango dress being a prime example! 


With the exception of the foldable straw hat that I squeezed in at the last minute and didn't wear, everything else I took had an outing but as I only wore the strappy suntop and the green bikini once I could have reduced my packing even further. 


Ammos' owner, Christina and her twin girls accompanied us to the coach, hugged us and shed a few tears at our departure, whispering in my ear I love, love, love your cowboy boots!  Once we'd checked into our flight at Thessaloniki airport we consoled ourselves with a bougatsa, the Greek version of a custard slice. 


Our flight left on time and our arrival at Birmingham International was quick and efficient, we were on the train back to Walsall within forty minutes of landing.


 Polychrono exceeded all expectations and we'll definitely return and explore more of Halkidiki. The package holiday was a means to an end and although we'd much rather travel independently if the price (and destination) is right we'd not rule it out as an option. With our partial refund from TUI, our week away cost us under £200 each, we couldn't have bought the flight for that.

Thanks for reading - and for all your comments. See you soon!

38 comments:

  1. Sigh, what a wonderful (and cheap!) vacation you both had, Vix and Jon! I love that you travel so light, and yet have all these lovely clothes. I have so enjoyed seeing all of the sights with you, and enjoying all the food and drinks vicariously! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a bargain it would have been rude not to buy it! xxx

      Delete
  2. Of course you don't personally need loads of luggage to look great, you'd look good wearing a 'tattie sack', as they say up here! What a great and informative post. You'd make a great travel journalist! I see Lord Jon's going for the Gilbert O'Sullivan look in that last pic! lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your holiday seems to have been very special Vix - and I'm sure the locals shall be very happy for you and Lord Jon to return again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, Flis, even better than expected! xxx

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing. I love your blog every day. I hope Wilberforce expressed some interest in you both when you got home. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie, you are kind. Young Mr W soon forgave us our absence and has eaten us out of house and home ever since! xxx

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you had a lovely holiday. And you met some lovely people. I would say come to Tokyo if the flights were not 3,000 a peice ( thanks Russia !!),
    I wish I could travel light it looks like we are moving house with 7 suitcases!! I kid you not and medical equipment on top. But it never puts us off. Jack went to some festival at the weekend and said the food was a mega con as they hid their prices!! Robbing BBBBS!!
    Enjoy festival season, we have lots over here but different to yours . Love and hugs Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long haul prices are absolute madness, they're over twice what we used to pay when we flew to India. Thank goodness for Ryanair!
      I amaze myself with my packing - its choosing what to take with all my clothes that takes ages, I hate that bit but once i've chosen the contenders I'm okay!
      Glasto's great in that some of the food stalls sign up to offer meals for £5. Even when we used to go as punters we never bought food (unless you count chips at 3am!) and lived on noodles, Primula cheese spread, pots of instant porridge and wholemeal sliced bread xxx

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful holiday for such a small cost, and you both look great in all your outfits. I love that you get accepted by the locals and long term residents of your holiday destinations ... both human and feline ... it speaks volumes about the lovely folk that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab time you had and you chose well (as ever) with your outfits. That's a lovely photo of you by the sea with that magical sky backdrop!
    How lovely that you were taken under the wing of John and Cheryl...wonderful memories for you both to take home. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a lovely time, Halkidiki exceeded all expectations. xxx

      Delete
  8. You've definitely taken the right approach to your holidays, avoiding all the tourist traps and eating where the locals do. And of course you just had to pop into El Gato Negro!
    I'm not surprised John and Cheryl made an exception for you, you couldn't be further removed from the typical British tourists, I'm sure!
    Fabulous outfits, as always, the white and pink dresses being my favourites. You're both looking super relaxed and I'm quite envious of your tan. Will have to dig out the fake tan in order not to stand out too much when we meet up, we're both milk-bottle pale :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El Gato Negro was calling to us! I'm glad we went in, the food really was wonderful (when is Greek food never not?!)
      The Midlands has been shrouded under a layer of cloud for the last few days - the sun made an appearance yesterday afternoon and I'm hoping it'll be properly out, dry and warm for when you arrive! xxx

      Delete
  9. How fab to make some friends! The food pictures had me salivating. Loved all the outfits you and Jon wore and you are most definitely the queen of travelling light. The weather is horrible today here!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so cold here over the last couple of days, I was so excited to see some sunshine yesterday afternoon I managed to burn my face! Halkidiki was such a lovely relaxing holiday, we loved it! xxx

      Delete
  10. Ah, what a wonderful time!! So glad you enjoyed yourselves so much. Your light packing is inspiring! The food sounds great too. Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, Kezzie! At the price we paid our expectations were fairly low and we were pleasantly surprised! xxx

      Delete
  11. It really is a shame you two cannot move to Greece - you "fit" there so perfectly.

    What did William think of you abandoning him for a few days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, bloody Brex*hit! We'll find a way eventually even if it means marrying for residency! xxx

      Delete
  12. It looks absolutely gorgeous there, Vix and nearly fainted when you said the price! What a great deal! And the food...Can see why you love Greece so much! You look very glamorous and with so little packing as well! You're setting me off again with the travel itch! Louise (Mids) X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise! Despite saying we'd never go on a package holiday when I saw that price I decided I needed to get over myself and give one a try! Some of the TUI regulars we met said to look on the TUI website at the "late deals and last minute breaks" and then go into your local branch to ask if they can price match it. TUI have a bad rep for changing the airport or hotel at the last minute, the website and branches are run as different companies so if it does happen at least you can go into the branch and talk to a human rather than being stuck in a phone queue for hours! Happy holiday bargain hunting! xxx

      Delete
  13. Looks like a great time!
    The photo of you all bundled up on the beach is giving me "Stylish Cult Leader" vibes. In the very best way, of course.
    What a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, Blogger doesn't know me anymore.
      -Goody

      Delete
    2. Hello Goody! Stylish Cult Leader is a look I'd happily emulate! I know people who spend more on a pair of trainers! xxx

      Delete
  14. Dear Vix, I've read your last posts at one sitting and enjoyed them so much!. Love particularly your attitude, walking to see what's around, chatting to people (and cats) and having fun by yourselves. Totally agree!. Actually, I'd be happy sitting on the sand and reading a book or even just watching the sea. And then having a beer in a local taverna. Bouganvilleas are also fabulous!.
    As my own city is kinda 'touristic', I have the 'local perspective' myself and think you're right avoiding any menus with photographs or restaurants where the waiters stand outside trying to entice you!. Run away from them! ;DD. I've also laughed about greeks considering fish as a vegetarian option, as most spanish people do it too! (it's difficult to avoid fish in our menus!).
    No wonder people compliment you about your fabulous outfits and style, and asked for advice on packing light!. Great tip about picking some clothes you love so you'll wear them all the time and feel fab!.
    It doesn't cease to amaze me how inexpensive is to book a holiday from UK. Not same prices from Spain, even when we travel to Canary Islands!. Totally understand you make the most of it and book a package holiday if the prices are so good!. Really fabulous and making me feel inspired to travel myself!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! I'd be happy sitting on a beach and reading all day, too - I don't understand this constant need for entertainment!
      I love Bougainvillea's, they don't look real , do they?
      I wonder if the waiters realise how off-putting it is to be bullied into going inside a restaurant. If the menu's good and a place looks pretty I don't need to be told to go in, I can make my own mind up. I really struggled to find vegetarian food in Spain, everything seemed to be laced with ham or fish.
      Brits love to travel abroad (mostly to escape the weather, I suspect)! I was amazed at the price of the TUI package we went on. I'd probably be cheaper for you to book a package, fly to the UK and fly back out! xxx

      Delete
  15. Looks great there and your capsule wardrobe was lovely to see, Also Jons. Evidence that package holidays can offer a great base for your own adventures. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I won't be quite so dismissive of package holidays in future - as long as you do your homework they can be fine! xxx

      Delete
  16. I always love reading tales of your travels. Your outlook and zest for exploring different countries is inspiring. I can't wait to explore more of the world as Lily gets older. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jules! I hope you and Lily get to go on lots of adventures when the time is right. xxx

      Delete
  17. This post is so phenomenally charged with positivism and vacation vibes. Exactly what I needed today as I'm exhausted! I've been working too much and then some.
    I love that photo of you in Greece with the gorgeous Mediterranean sea behind you. How heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful time you had. I love all your outfits.. so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful vacation post. The views are amazing and the food looks delicious.
    I love how you and Jon remain so stylish even when on vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix