Monday 6 March 2023

Of Grave Concern - A Winter Escape To Athens


It was day two of our Athenian adventure and, after another delicious breakfast eaten in the fresh air on the rooftop, gazing out over the Acropolis, it was time to explore more of the city.


Hadrian's Arch, at the end of our street, was built in AD 131. On the west the arch is inscribed This is Athens, the ancient city of Theseus and on the east side, This is the city of Hadrian and not of Theseus to distinguish between the cities of ancient legend and Roman reality. Again, this arch may look familiar as a replica stands in the ground of Shugborough Hall, a stately home we regularly visit.  


Through the arch you'll find The Temple of the Olympian Zeus, the largest to exist on mainland Greece. Inside two colossal statues once stood, one of the god in gold and ivory, and the other of the Emperor Hadrian. The temple's construction began in 515 BC but political turmoil prevented its completion for almost 700 years. 



In contrast to the previous day's glorious sunshine, Tuesday was overcast but, at 16°C, warm enough to wander coatless.




We passed by a statue of the Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know English poet and peer, Lord Byron (1788 - 1824), who remains a hero in Greece to this day. 


We followed in the footsteps of the Ancient Greeks, crossing to the very edge of the Classical city. 


Warriors and priestesses returned to Athens via two separate roads through Kerameikos, one leading to a brothel, the other to a temple. Statesmen and heroes were buried beneath showy tombs lining the roads but Kerameikos was also the scene of shadier activities, the haunt of prostitutes, money-lenders and wine sellers.


The walls were built by the Athenian ruler Themistokles between 487 and 479 BC and the main roads from Thebes, Corinth and the Peloponnese converged at the entrance. The arch you can see in the centre of the photo above is the Sacred Gate, reserved for pilgrims and priestesses during their procession to Eleusis, one of Ancient Greece's most sacred places. 













Friendly cats and free-range tortoises wherever you turn!




The name Kerameikos comes from Keramos, the patron god of ceramics (I'd not realised the word ceramic was derived from Greek, its obvious when I say Keramos out loud...hee-ra-mos) and once potters' workshops would have lined the grassy banks of the river Eridanos which cuts through the site.


The on-site museum is packed with incredible finds from the site including grave goods and pottery shards of erotic scenes from a brothel.  Most fascinating are the beautifully carved tombstones (known as steles) which movingly portray the dead alongside their family and friends - these are the originals brought indoors to preserve them, the burial plots outside have replica casts. They may have left this world almost three thousand years ago but you really get a sense of who these people were.


This is from the grave of Lysimachides (320 BC). Flanked by two men and a woman. Lysimachides awaits the arrival of Charon, the ferryman of the Underworld, to take him to the land of the dead.
Traditionally the dead are on the right hand side of the steles and the bereaved on the left.


This stele marks the life of Dexileos, a horseman in the Athenian cavalry who was killed by the Spartans at the tender age of twenty in 394 BC. 


The grave stele of two sisters, Demetria and Pamphile circa 325 - 310 BC. Our guidebook reads, The women, remote and isolated, gaze apathetically at the spectator, already in another, transcendental world, far from the things of this life. This is one of the last steles made before the law passed by Demetrios of Phaleron prohibited the erection of luxurious tomb monuments.


After a wander around the flea market and the antique/junk shops where my tribal jewellery and vintage Afghan dress attracted much interest from the traders, we stopped for lunch and got puddings and a carafe of wine thrown in for free.


As it was directly opposite our taverna, our next stop was the Agora Museum (Stoa of Attalos) which had been closed the previous day. 


Me with Poseidon, Nike, Lyceus and the Emperor Antoninus Pius. 


Jon hangs out with Apollo whilst Tony is joined by a male & a female torso thought to personify the The Iliad & The Odyssey as both sets of armour feature characters from Homer's epic poems. 


Highlights were the ostraka, these small inscribed pottery fragments were used 2,500 years ago as ballots in the process of ostracisation and played a crucial role in the incipient democracy. When there was a fear of tyranny, citizens voted to exile politicians considered dangerous. Those getting the most votes were exiled from Athens for ten years. Does anyone else think that we ought to bring ostracism back?


As the three of us are fascinated by the Spartans (and have all watched 300 countless times ) this huge bronze shield rendered us speechless. Taken as a trophy by the Athenians after their victory in the Battle of Sphacteria in 425 BC. 

We left and walked across the city, passing through the district of Omonia which, with its sweet centres, fabric shops and curry houses, felt like we were back in the Midlands.


A couple of miles later and we'd reached our final cultural destination of the day, The National Archaeological Museum, said to be one of the most important and exciting museums in the world.


If, like us, you watch every documentary about Ancient Greece then you'll probably recognise all of these wonderful pieces...

Boxing Boys

These beautiful frescos, created in the highly advanced settlement of Akotiri were found on the island of Santorini (formerly known as Thera). Buried after a volcanic eruption in the 17th Century BC, they had been perfectly preserved beneath the ash. 

Aspasia of Miletus, Figure of Eight shield and the Spring fresco

We've seen many copies of this majestic bronze sculpture of Zeus (or possibly Poseidon) but this, dating from 460 BC, is the original.





These huge Archaic Korai (dating from 480 BC), statues of idealised youths and maidens, were the first monumental works in Greek art and were used in temples and on graves.




Believed to be the death mask of Agamemnon, the Mycenae king who commended the Greeks during the Trojan War, the mask is made from solid gold and dates to the 16th Century BC. I could hardly bear to tear my eyes away.




More fascinating grave steles,


This 4th Century BC scene depicts a deceased woman accompanied by her slave who is packing away  her jewels.


Phylone's baby, held by a slave, reaches out to his deceased mother (also from the 4th Century BC)


A deceased youth reaches out to his pet bird whilst his cat rests on a pillar beside him, the naked figure is a slave, mourning his master.


After refreshments in the equally impressive museum cafeteria we caught a taxi home to Poetry and Home and, after a siesta, headed back to Kafeneon for another Greek feast followed by late night beers on the rooftop.


Thanks for reading!

My third and final instalment coming soon.


44 comments:

  1. Direct flights from Birmingham...tick. Stunning architecture...absolutely. Love Greek food.. especially the salads.It's worth going just for the friendly cats and to see the free roaming tortoises without everything else! Yup, definitely fancy a trip later on in the year as have a few things booked up for us and will keep a look out with the flights. Louise (Midlands) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise! With all the furore over tomato, cucumber and pepper shortages I made sure I ate my fill! I love Greek food, too!
      Athens is definitely worth a visit especially when the weather's cool enough to explore all the sights. A lot of Greeks are mad about Peaky Blinders so when we told them that we were from a town near Birmingham they were really excited! xxx

      Delete
  2. I recognise some things that Bettany Hughes first introduced us to. She's so passionate about Ancient Greece and easy to see why. They really were a superior race in the arts and philosophy. Looks like another fascinating trip.Thanks for sharing.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bettany Hughes, her enthusiasm is so infectious! Did you see this article in The Guardian last week? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/feb/25/this-much-i-know-bettany-hughes-i-am-always-in-tombs-but-am-scared-of-the-dark Just when i tought I couldn't love her more! xxx

      Delete
  3. What a magical post Vix
    You are very kind to share so much of what you saw and experienced
    And thank you for thinking of my husband Tony and I
    He is no longer having active treatment, and we in some ways are glad we are not having to struggle into the Oncology centre for appointments ( the hospital is in central Bristol with terrible parking - even with a blue badge- and we are grateful to friends who drive us in and out).
    This is a very challenging time for us . Even in a room full of people I feel alone - and I don’t want to imagine a life without Tony. He tells me he’s not dead yet - and that has become our mantra
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Siobhan. Your comments are always so thoughtful and kind.
      Tony sounds like such a wonderful man, I can't begin to imagine what you are going through, living for each day and trying to find positives in everything - it must be exhausting. Keep repeating that mantra.
      I remember feeling trapped in a bubble when my mum was ill, watching people going about their lives and feeling like I was watching from miles away. You and Tony are often in my thoughts. xxx

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous trip, so much history to take in. I'm glad Byron is still a hero there, he's one of my favourite poets. That gold death mask is so striking, I'm not surprised that you couldn't drag yourself away from it. Looks like an altogether fabulous break. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to get away for a few days - I wished it had been for longer coming back to this horrid cold weather, Louise. I must rewatch that Rupert Everett documentary on Byron! xxx

      Delete
  5. Catching up again!
    All of those artefacts are so interesting. I particularly like the two sisters. I'm not sure I agree with the guidebook, that they are apathetic, but they do look deep in thought. How incredibly well preserved they are. We are so lucky to have these links to the past.
    All those tortoises are very Gerald Durrell aren't they 🙂
    I've really enjoyed your posts about your wardrobe etc. I must do as you say and check the comments.
    By the way, I think that cap looks absolutely fabulous on you. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annie! Apparently the majority of those beautiful steles were dedicated to women, I wonder why. I think you're right about the sisters' gaze, I think its more reflective than apathetic.
      Oh yes, Gerald Durrell and his tortoise observations! It's funny, I've only seen them on my visits to the mainland, never on the islands. I'm either not looking properly or they're not good on the ferries!
      I'm loving my edited wardrobe, it's so much easier to make my mind up when I get dressed in the morning. That cap is growing on me, I might have to find another one before I wear it out! xxx

      Delete
  6. It's all so fascinating. I can't get over that solid gold mask and those beautiful frescos!
    We should definitely bring back ostracism...but would there be anyone left at the top? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to work on that phobia and get yourselves over to Athens. Your photos would do those wonderful ruins much more justice than my attempts! xxx

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the lovely pictures and history lesson. Especially for bringing up Ostracism. What a help it would be today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Alex! I wonder why ostracism ever died out. If it was resurrected maybe i could behave really badly and be exiled to Greece (in my dreams!) xxx

      Delete
  8. K and the AncientsMonday, March 06, 2023

    Just a note from over the pond (and halfway across the US)...there are six Ancients here at my place, all crowded around my laptop (with a magnification screen for Clyde), all slowly scrolling through your latest adventure in Greece. I got to it before they were driven over here, so I know they are being transported by it all! Five more are coming over tomorrow and will do the same thing. Many thanks for your thoughtfulness in documenting your wonderous travels and sharing them with us...I know it takes time and effort to do this for your worldwide fan club.

    They are pestering me about two things, so I will ask their questions (don't feel like you have to bother with an answer):1) They are very pleased that you do your traveling with two guys and are concerned that you stay with them and don't wander about on your own. They say they know you can handle yourself but you are so tiny that someone could carry you off and kidnap you. [They watch entirely too much true crime TV over at the Senior Center] and 2) Where is Lord Jon going to be seated at the Coronation in May? (sigh). They are ALL convinced that he will indeed be somewhere in the royal throng and they (Clyde) also want to know if you will get to go, too. I cannot make them understand that Jon probably has NO interest in going, anyway...I have long ago given up on convincing any of them that while Jon comes from nobility, he is not an active member of the monarchy....it is too exciting a story for them to give up on. Aggie clearly (?) remembers one of your posts that included a parcel that was addressed to "Lord Jon" that appeared some years ago...she cannot remember her room number at the Center, but she can remember that post about Jon! The joys of aging! Love from Kathryn and the Ancients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gang! You've made everyone's day with your comment, it didn't half put a smile on Lord Jon and my faces!
      Jon & Tony make excellent bodyguards but they both agree that if anyone dared to kidnap me they'd probably bring me back within a few hours as my constant talking and inability to sit still would drive them mad.
      Lord Jon is still waiting for his invite - King Charles seems to have forgotten his long lost Plantagenet cousin! He says he wouldn't want to go to the ceremony but wouldn't mind the buffet and the free bar afterwards.
      Aggie was right - it was a seed company who send their annual catalogues addressed to Lord Jon Baker. It doesn't half make our postman Izzy laugh.
      Sending love to you all! xxx

      Delete
    2. K and the AncientsTuesday, March 07, 2023

      Aggie just now heard from those of the gang who were the second reader group of your "bog" [and so were able to read your response] that you verified her info about Lord Jon! So now she is the QUEEN of the Senior Center! Thank goodness they cannot send messages to you directly or you would have a dozen incomprehensible comments by now! They are contenting themselves with calling me every 15 minutes to talk about it...Cheers from all of us!

      Delete
    3. Aggie'[s memory is much better than Lord Jon's - she is the Queen of the Senor's Centre! I think both us and the vast majority of my readers would love to hear more from the gang, they are the stars of my blog! xxx

      Delete
  9. Well you certainly had an action packed break! I loved the free range tortoises and would be tempted to take one home with me.

    I loved the grave steles; the gold mask was astonishing as was the sculpture of Zeus/Poseidon.

    Looking forward to part 3...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We needed another holiday after all that walking!
      The stuff is just mind boggling. You can't even walk down the street without stepping over the base of a 2500 year old column or an excavated house.
      Aren't the tortoises great? Just bumbling around the sites, grazing on clover and taking no notice of fascinated tourists taking their photos. xxx

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic post, a true feast for the eyes. I'm not surprised you couldn't bear to tear your eyes away from that magnificent solid gold death mask. The frescoes are stunning, and the steles are fascinating, totally my cup of tea. And yes, I agree that they should bring back ostracism, I'm just hoping ten years is enough! Can't wait for the final installment! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! The sophistication of the Ancient Greeks just blows my mind. Those steles are so moving.
      We definitely should bring back ostracism but I think you're right, some of those clowns in parliament should be banished for 100 years! xxx

      Delete
  11. Another grand post. Thank you for posting such a detailed, informative and delightful post, a feast for the eyes. I too loved the death mask and so many wonderful statues. The free tortoises are just a joy to see. Looking forward to episode 3. Btw the comment from the ladies in the USA was a delight to read, how charming they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! That death mask is mind blowing, isn't it?
      I hope Kathryn and the gang read your comment. They are hilarious and it's always such a joy to hear from them. I think they need their own blog! xxx

      Delete
  12. I love the pic of Jon and the black and white cat. Wonderful pics, Vix, thank you! I do indeed recognize a lot of those pieces of art, particularly the mask of Agamemnon! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Greek cats are the friendliest in the world. We met so many we wanted to steal! xxx

      Delete
  13. Oh wow how exciting to travel to Athens. So much history and art to see plus great food and good weather what else could you ask for! Just brilliant. You guys look like you are having a great time.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This bring back so many fond memories of our trip to Greece. Athens is an amazing city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved Athens,beautiful, fascinating, laid back and welcoming and great weather. We'll definitely go back. xxx

      Delete
  15. What an exciting post! I love seeing all the amazing statues and artefacts- you fit right in. The food looks delicious and I learnt about- the origin of Ceramics etc. Ostracization sounds like a plan! The Athenians certainly made good rules for society! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kezzie! For all the books I've read and documentaries I've watched, nothing beats seeing the ruins, sites and artifacts in real life. How brilliant was ostracism? Obviously not for those exiled but I know lots of politicians I'd happily banish for ten years! xxx

      Delete
  16. I have just read the best sentence today and it is ....Warriors and priestesses returned to Athens via two separate roads through Kerameikos, one leading to a brothel, the other to a temple.... Priorities...priorities!
    Amazing sculptures, incredible art work. The detail and the skill just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've gotta love those Ancient Greeks! I'd probably be wearing that road out trudging back and forth to the wine shop (as well as attempting to smuggle cats and tortoises!) xxx

      Delete
  17. I'm sitting in my porch with the sun blazing down and feel as though I've just visited Greece after reading this. I don't need to go on holiday when I can read posts that make me feel as though I'm there. Well done on another great post Vix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cherie! Despite the snow showers when the sun's out those blue skies look very Mediterranean today. xxx

      Delete
  18. I'll be buying my ticket purely for the free ranging cats and tortoises, the food looks pretty good too. I always think headless statues look so sad ... well I suppose I would be without my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have brought back a few free-ranging cats and tortoises (not to mention a tonne of tomatoes!) I often wonder if the archaeologists chipped off the heads and they're languishing in back gardens throughout Europe! xxx

      Delete
  19. Cats and tortoises that's my kind of place fabulous gold mask, incredible that such beautiful things have remained and not been stolen or melted down! We are still in india, no gold or cats but lots of dogs the ones in darjeeling are overweight lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been loving following your adventures on Facebook, Betty! Friendly cats and free-range tortoises, it's like a home away from home. Happy travels to you both! xxxx
      PS Delhi was full of really fat dogs, too!

      Delete
  20. So fascinating sculptures and buildings, but my favourite are those kuroi and korai and the beautiful paintings from Thera, so delicate and colourful Minoan art!
    Totally loving every picture and your brilliant descriptions, thanks dear Vix!
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ancient Greeks were indeed a fascinating culture! Their sculptures are simply amazing.
    P.S. How cute is that photo of Jon and the cat. I've noticed that Mediterranean street cats seem to be especially friendly. In fact, there seems to be correlation between the vicinity to the sea and the friendliness of the cats. Maybe it is because fisherman feeding them or something, but seashore cats seem to really love humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what it is about Mediterranean cats that make them so much more confident when approaching strangers? I knelt down to take a photo of a tombstone and that cat climbed onto my lap and refused to move - all the cats I've owned have never done that! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix