Friday 16 December 2022

Midwinter in Málaga - The Rain in Spain (Before The Plane)

Still with me? It's time for the last instalment of our impromptu trip to the gorgeous Spanish city of Málaga.

The weather forecast for Thursday, our final day, had been dismal with incessant rain predicted from 7am. Although it was still dry when we left our apartment, the sky was looking ominous so we popped into Ale-Hop, the funky Spanish equivalent of Flying Tiger, Copenhagen to buy an umbrella, just to be on the safe side. 

It was Spain's second public holiday that week, The Feast of the Immaculate Conception, and unfortunately our first destination of the day, Museo del Vidrio y Cristal de Málaga (the museum of glass and crystal), was closed. Moving on to Picasso's childhood home, also a museum, we discovered that it too was closed. Never mind,we snuggled up to Pablo on the bench outside his house before buying some locally grown almonds from the farmer who'd set up a stall in the square opposite.








We walked down to the harbour, pleased to discover that the Centre Pompidou Málaga was open.


Opening in 2015, it was the first Pompidou Centre to be established outside France.

Despite the leaden skies, it was touching 20°C so we deposited our coats in the lockers after we'd paid the admission fee. The Pompidou was hosting a fascinating exhibition, A Time of One's Own, a journey through the human experience of leisure.




I can't say that we understood every exhibit but it was memorable and isn't that what successful art is, something that leaves a lasting impression?











The rain had started in earnest when we left the Pompidou so we hurried back into the old town and on discovering that Museo de Málaga was open, dived in for a respite.


The museum is held within the walls of the imposing Palacio de la Aduana, the former customs house. Building work was started under the orders of Charles III in 1791 but not completed until 1829 as midway through the palace was sacked by French forces during the Peninsular War.


After wandering around the Greco/Roman exhibits on display in the archaeological department we realised that we were starving and went off in search of lunch, settling on Cañadú, the vegetarian restaurant we'd visited on my birthday.


Despite the rain the umbrellas were strategically arranged enabling us to eat outside without getting wet. Whilst Jon tucked into a Greek salad with patatas bravas I had the most divine warm goats' cheese and walnut salad with a honey & mustard dressing accompanied, of course, by two large glasses of Rioja...followed by two more (well, it was raining).



We'd intended to return to the Museo de Malaga to see the fine art exhibition on the second floor but when we got there discovered it had closed for the day. We considered visiting Málaga Cathedral but neither of us are keen on churches or on religious pomp and last time we'd been to a cathedral (in Alicante) we nearly got decapitated by a wayward roof tile. The decision was made for us when we discovered that the admission fee was a hefty 10 Euros each.


Instead we went to the Museo Carmen Thyssen, built around the 16th century Palacio de Villalón, and housing a collection of 19th century Spanish paintings, on twelve-year loan to the city by Carmen Thyssen, a private collector.


Although at first I thought the paintings a little too chocolate-box for my tastes, capturing a romanticised vision of Spanish peasant life, on a wet afternoon the colours were joyful and the artists' attention to detail astonishing. If I came across any of these in a charity shop I'd happily give them wall space.













There was also a temporary exhibition of magnificently bold Belgian Art (hello, Ann & Jos!), I recognised Rene Magritte's dream-like style instantly








Back at the apartment we showered, changed and headed back out into the rain, stopping for a couple of beers in the bar next door. BAIRES, if you're wondering, is missing an apostrophe and stands for Buenos Aires. Much to Jon's disgust, after England, I've always supported Argentina so raised a glass to Messi in anticipation of Friday's match.



We returned to El Vegetariano De La Alcazabilla 
for dinner, sharing tasty platters of empanadas (savoury turnovers) and croquettes.


The following morning it was still tipping it down. After wandering Málaga trying to find the bus back to the airport we admitted defeat and hailed a cab, which - like the food, drink and accomodation - was remarkably good value. 


Touching down at an icy Birmingham Airport in the early afternoon we passed through immigration in record time, hopped on the train and watched Brazil Vs Croatia on Jon's phone, getting back in time to see Brazil thrashed on penalties.


Málaga was fabulous, beautiful architecture, clean streets, bucketloads of culture, great food and even better, it wasn't -8°C (unlike here!) Don't take our word for it, Simon Calder, The Independent's travel expert and all-round lovely man, also recommends it in this article. Having only visited six of Málaga's thirty-two museums, galleries and monuments, we'll definitely be back.

Thanks for reading, see you soon!

35 comments:

  1. Love this Vix. Glad you had a good time. I have flown to Malaga many times but never stopped there. Next time I must add a few days to have a look around.
    Have a lovely weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! Like you, we'd only visited the airport before but it's a wonderful city with so much to offer! xxx

      Delete
  2. you certainly packed plenty in! the vegetarian restuarant looks good, Im not big on museums but would hav liked to see inside Pablo's house :) I like your blue dress, goes fabulously with tan accessories/jacket. As you have only just got back you may not have heard the rumour that India are going to accept the 5 year visas again - worth checking out - I saw it on trip advisor. We canx our in person appointment for our visa as we can now do online applications again... nearer the time so still some anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of a museum junkie, Betty. The stranger the better! If you get to Cochin in 2023 (Kochi) you must check out the police museum, it's so macabre and weird, I still think of it four years after visiting!
      I saw that the visas have finally been reinstated meaning that we've got three years left on our five year one but I checked yesterday and the flight prices are horrendous (at least double what we've paid in the past) so it looks like another year without travelling to India. xxx

      Delete
  3. You could be in a Spanish art and culture magazine Vix x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve so enjoyed reading about your adventures Vix. I was there every step of the way thanks to your great photos which really capture the mood. It has been freezing here so thank goodness for woodburners - both at home and in the bookshop. I sort of bumped into Picasso yesterday. I went to an exhibition about Lee Miller, the New York-born model and photographer who modelled and reported on WWII for Vogue. She was a beautiful woman and in 1937 met Picasso in Cannes and they remained lifelong friends. The exhibition was mostly made up of her photographs and I especially liked the ones of Picasso with his first wife Françoise and their two children. Lee witnessed terrible things during her war work and after the war and suffering from PTSD she turned to alcohol for solace. But she loved to cook and was a fabulous hostess in the Sussex farmhouse she shared with her husband Roland Penrose, the Impressionist art dealer. Years ago I went on a tour of the farmhouse and the kitchen seemed as if Lee had just stepped out for a breather. The farmhouse is called Farley Farm and the Exhibition about Lee Miller and Picasso is at Newlands House Gallery in Petworth if you or any of your readers wish to find out more. Try and keep warm and we’ll be there 3pm Sunday for the final. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sarah! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the travelogue. Thank goodness for woodburners, our two have been our saviour since we got back from Spain, how cold has it been? It's been an ordeal leaving the house this week!
      Goodness me, I watched a fantastic documentary about Lee Miller a couple of years ago. I loved her self portrait in Hitler's bathtub. I remember her son speaking so eloquently of her descent into alcoholism after the awful things she'd witnessed. There were some fantastic images of Picasso and Francoise in the museum, she was spellbindingly beautiful and it was heartbreaking that she'd been unable to live without him. Jon and I were stunned that several of the photos had been taken on 5th August, 1966 - the day he was born.
      I'd love to see that exhibition and visit the farmhouse. Enjoy Sunday and thanks so much for sharing the details, if the weather wasn't so dismal I'd be tempted to join you. Petworth gets more and more enticing! xxx

      Delete
  5. The Pompidou looks great! I remember going to the French one! Your food looks excellent. Yum!!
    Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Paris Pompidou Centre, too! xxx

      Delete
  6. Another fab holiday. Malaga is so picturesque. Loved the Spanish paintings. I actually like that style, it stirs up something inside of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ratnamurti! Those Spanish paintings are so joyful, aren't they? x

      Delete
  7. Just a heads up, for your next trip to my favourite place. Renfe. The train from the airport runs into town about every 20 minutes and is cheap. It's very normal to find it full of people with suitcases after the flights arrive. Just take it into Malaga and the last stop. Arrive on the street and get a taxi to your apartment/hotel.

    My husband never uses public transit here but loves the Renfe, clean, cheap, and regular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! It was a toss up between the train and the bus when we arrived but the bus just pulled up as we left the airport. I remember getting a Renfe train from Barcelona to Sitges back in the 1980s and being so impressed by the cleanliness and speed.
      Jon's the same about public transport at home but loves it when we're away, even the 27 hour Indian train journeys! xxxx

      Delete
  8. I know I would also sit by pablo and he sure did a lot of art.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was an amazing artist, wasn't he? He could turn his hand to any style of painting, drawing or ceramic and create magic. xxx

      Delete
  9. I love the photo of you posing by the mural. It looks like you modeled for it too. That painted lady made me think of you.
    How lovely you visited Spain. Nothing beats a spontaneous trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! I loved the Spanish lady mural! xxx

      Delete
  10. I know what you mean about chocolate -box, but those peasant paintings are really rather lovely.
    Just read your previous post about the Alhambra. Mom and Dad went there some years ago and said how magnificent it was. Definitely one for the list.
    I've watched a couple of the footie matches in the pub, and the whole thing seems really low key this time. Usually there's England flags everywhere round our way when there's an international tournament, but I haven't seen one this time.
    I shall probably watch the final. I've said all along it's unfair to put the responsibility on the fans. There's a searing piece criticising FIFA in today's Guardian, and quite right too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those paintings were so detailed, at first I didn't like the colours but I think I could live with them if I was ever lucky enough to find one!
      The Alhambra was wonderful, worth flying to Malaga for that alone.
      I must read that Guardian article. Despite all the controversy I have to say that it's probably the best World Cup ever, the football has been brilliant. Just taking a breather from the final - it's another thriller! xxx

      Delete
    2. I watched it. It wa absolutely gripping! Xxx

      Delete
    3. Wasn't it incredible? I could hardly breathe with excitement. I'm exhausted now! xxx

      Delete
  11. Such wonderful pictures and art! I adore museums and am glad you had alternatives to the ones that were closed. Picasso would have loved you, Vix! Glad you had such a lovely getaway for your birthday! I hope the weather gets a little warmer in Walsall! We're due for snow possibly starting tonight, eeee! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope your snow doesn't linger!
      I absolutely love a museum, I can't get enough of them. In a way I was glad a lot were closed, a perfect excuse to go back. xxx

      Delete
  12. You definitely made the most of your final day in Malaga, in spite of the hurdles of the rain and the closed museums!
    The Pompidou Centre looks amazing, and personally I don't think it's essential to understand the exhibits to appreciate them.
    The paintings of rural Spanish life in Museo Carmen Thyssen don't look half bad to me, and I'm glad you appreciated the bold Belgian art!
    It must have been quite the letdown returning to -8°C! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love a museum! The German lady we'd met on our Alhambra had been appalled by the exhibits in the Pompidou but we really enjoyed the weirdness. The Museo Carmen Thyssen was much more to our tastes especially some of the Belgian art, for a small country you've got some amazing art!
      We laughed when we'd seen numbers like -8°C bandied about, sure that they'd got it wrong, sadly they hadn't! I'm dreading the gas bill! xxx

      Delete
  13. You gave me a giggle, sitting next to Pablo. One can easily imagine the statue enlivening to slide an arm around you...
    I, too, "know what I like." My criteria for great art is: "Would I give it wall space?" The Spanish peasantry would definitely suit my lounge; the Magritte, the bedroom -- or even the bath. I'd even repaint it a dusty pink and get a new shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist giving Pablo a squeeze, he must have been locked out of his house what with it being a national holiday!
      I know what I like is the best way to regard art, there is something for everyone and there's no shame in not loving critically acclaimed stuff if it leaves you cold,is there? xxx

      Delete
  14. Some very bizarre looking art exhibits in that museum, but certainly not dull!
    I too think those depictions of Spanish rural life are quite charming. The colours really pop.
    Shame you were bothered by rain, but it clearly didn't hamper you too much. Back to reality now! Boo! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one exhibit looked like cows udders, I'm not sure I'd want that mounted on the bedroom ceiling! The Spanish paintings were so pretty, their charm won me over! It's certainly been a challenge coming home, I can't believe how cold it's been! xxx

      Delete
  15. How wonderful to visit Spain for your birthday!!! I am amazed how many museums and art you've seen in a short time. I agree with you - if the art moves you, then it's good art even if we don't always fully understand it. You look gorgeous as always, and I do love that mural - it's like your portrait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Natalia! it's fab to hear from you! xxx

      Delete
  16. Wow! That's a lot of museums to see. I recognised the harbour in Malaga - we managed a walk to it when we were there. Like you I'd love to go back...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Spanish ladies outfits in the paintings, especially those big piano shawls!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I thoroughly enjoyed my armchair travels to Málaga Vix. Thank you :) Lovely to see some Magritte works. I have family in Spain so must pop it on the list xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix