Sunday 9 October 2022

Tales Of The City (and other stories)


Our glorious summer of travelling and festival-going is over, my final travelogue has been published and it's back to normal life (whatever that is). 


Last week I caught the train and met up with my beautiful friend Nikki in Birmingham. After a pot of tea (rose for me, peppermint for her) in the uber trendy Medicine Bakery, housed beneath the glazed roof of the former Victorian premises of The Royal Society of Birmingham Artists, we headed off to the city's former police station in Steelhouse Lane. 



Six years after the last prisoner was released from the cells, the Victorian building is now open to the public as part of the West Midlands Police Museum. The Steelhouse Lane Station originally opened a year after the first recorded Peaky Blinders' attack on Birmingham's Adderley Street on 23rd March, 1890 which left victim George Eastwood in the city's hospital for three weeks.

The museum have extensive (and utterly fascinating) files on Birmingham's most notorious criminals, including the Peaky Blinders who, if you didn't already know, were a real gang and not just a hit TV series.


The Victorian mugshots were particularly fascinating. Aren't those women beautifully dressed? 






 It's not just Birmingham, the museum also celebrates the history of the police forces of Coventry and the Black Country. There's even mention of the Walsall Anarchists who I wrote about HERE










We were intrigued by Richard Heath's chicken tattoo....


Although probably for schoolkids, we couldn't resist the dressing-up box.


We had so much fun chatting to both the retired and serving police officers on duty and attempting to solve a real life crime that two hours passed like a flash. 






Ravenous, we headed to The Indian Brewery, situated beneath the arches next to Snowhill Station.


Whilst the edgy, post-Industrial Victorian setting screams Peaky Blinders, the interior is pure Bollywood and combines the two things which the West Midlands does so well, Indian food and real ale.


Nikki and I went for Chaart Attack! Vegetable samosas topped with spicy relish, fresh coriander and chana accompanied by a couple of pints of Birmingham-brewed IPA....followed by a couple more.


Keen to avoid the commuter crush we made our way back to New Street Station where, after perusing Monsoon's sale rails, we caught our respective trains home. I couldn't resist posing by this mural commemorating the legendary Mr Egg "Eat Like a King for 99p", a late-night cafe on Hurst Street to which me and many of the city's clubbers used to congregate before catching the last bus home. 



A few days later the gang ( Liz, Al, Liz, Adrian, Jon & I) caught the bus over to The Bartons Arms in  Birmingham. Built between 1900 and 1901, The Guardian list it as one of the top 50 pubs in the UK and it also comes highly recommended by Peaky Blinders director, Steven Knight.


A Grade II listed building, the pub is known for its wall-to-wall Minton tiles (manufactured up the road in Stoke-on-Trent) and Snob Screens, which enabled the middle class drinkers to keep an eye on the working class drinkers in the adjacent bar but not to be seen by them.


Due to The Bartons Arms' proximity to the Aston Hippodrome many of the famous entertainers of the day visited including Marie Lloyd, the Great Caruso, Charlie Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy. It was also Ozzy Osbourne's local before he decamped to the USA.



In additional to their award winning ales, The Bartons Arms also serves authentic Thai food. The last time we'd visited it was to celebrate Liz (S) and Al's 40th birthdays and Jon & I's 20th anniversary - ten years ago!



Jon and I shared a platter of vegetarian appetisers.


I had tofu and pak choi in a spicy vegetarian sauce (there's also an option for oyster sauce but obviously that's not suitable for me).


Jon went for sweet and sour chicken although he was a bit phased by the hot cucumber!








I'm not sure why it took us so long to go back. Judging by past performance we'll be celebrating Liz & Al's 60th and our 40th anniversary next time!



In other news since we got home almost a fortnight ago (where does the time go?) Jon & I have had our Covid boosters and, just like our previous jabs, suffered no ill effects. We've got back into our twice-weekly swimming (and Spoons' breakfasts), seen The Lost King at the cinema (one of those delightfully quirky films we Brits do so well), binge watched BBC's The Capture and been absolutely blown-away by the devastatingly cool Kleo on Netflix, a darkly humorous German cold war thriller with shades of Deutschland 84 and Killing Eve



We've bagged a Lidl Waste Not box and have been feasting on our home-grown crops - beetroot, tomatoes, potatoes, courgettes, patty pan, raspberries and loganberries. This afternoon we've made 3lbs of chutney from the last of the green tomatoes and some windfall apples.


We squeezed in a bit of charity shopping - Tamaris boots, Earth Spirit boots, vintage macrame shopper, 1980s Adini midi skirt, Doc Martens "Ted" moccasins, East needlecord mini skirt, 1970s St Michael dagger collar blouse, hand knit cardi, 1980s cardi, Diesel denim jacket, 1950s all-wool Wellington robe, Rawhide suede coat, Baukjen cotton sweater, 1980s novelty print silk waistcoat, 1980s Jackarew of England printed velvet jacket, Toast Yorkshire wool blazer and a 1960s Japanese hand crochet hat. With festivals over we'll be selling on eBay until Spring.


Needless to say that I've been wearing clothes (much as I'd prefer to live in a bikini it's been a bit too chilly!) and here's a few outfits I've worn. Above - which I wore to the dentist - is my Dahlia block printed dress (from Seventies Soul) worn with my trusty charity-shopped Diesel jacket. The block printed jute handle tote was from a trading neighbour at Beautiful Days, the rope soled flatforms from a charity shop and the sunglasses came from Rodos.


This white cotton hand-embroidered dress (made in Greece) was from one of the two tourist shops in Stegna from their end of season sale rail. The Ancient Greek "Classic" tan leather clogs were a lucky  eBay find, they were unworn and came in their original box. Currently retailing at £305, I won them for £5.50!!!! (I wore my denim jacket over the top when I wore this charity shopping, I was determined to let it have an outing before I packed it away for next year).



Here's the dress I bought from that dreamy boutique in Rhodes Town. It's by Greek label, Ble and designed and made in Santorini, 100% cotton with shoestring straps and - like all the best dresses - with French seams as opposed to overlocked ones. I felt this one also needed a day in the sun before being packed away so wore it with my vintage Phool quilted jacket and my charity-shopped olive velvet boots.



Another shopping outfit, I snaffled this vintage Afghan dress from a lovely trader at Cornbury for an absolute steal. The antique-effect leather riding boots - originally from Jones the Bootmaker - were £3 from the clearance chazza on what was probably the hottest day of the year. The Reiss wool fedora was new with tags from Ebay a few years ago.


Sorry about the demented face, we both had colds last week and I was sucking on a Teddy Gray's when Jon took my photo. If you're not from my part of the world you probably won't have a clue about this Black Country institution. Check out genius British photographer, Martin Parr's, short film below:





After trying it on in Monsoon when I was with Nikki I decided I needed this teal fedora in my life. I wore it with my tomato dress (hand-embroidered, vintage, eBay 4 years ago) and 1950s Tyrolean souvenir belt for swimming, 'Spoons and the cinema on Friday.


Did you spot this English-made Rawhide unstructured suede coat in my charity shop collage? I squealed with excitement when I discovered it sandwiched between a rail of tatty Primarni dresses on Thursday morning and then nearly fainted clean away when I saw £2 printed on the price tag! Although I loathe grey (less a colour, more a state of mind) I think this is more of a bruised lilac.


I wore it on Sunday (chazza shopping plus Wilko & Superdrug) with a Naked Generation block-printed midi dress (eBay), Leibeskind, Berlin leather boots (another £3 clearance chazza find) and what's rapidly becoming my new favourite hat.



Phew! Well done if you stayed with me till the end, that was a bit of an epic post. 


I'll leave you with the glorious sunrise I was treated to on Tuesday morning. Whilst Autumn isn't my favourite season (damp, cold, dark and too spider-y by far), morning skies like these make me glad to be alive.

See you soon!

47 comments:

  1. your lilac suede coat is a fabulous find, it's incredible what lovely things you find in chazzas, despite living in the allegely affluent south, I have never seen anything worth shouting about around here :) Your days out were good ones, with quality pubs and yummy food. Your hair is looking lovely and I do like your fedora :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I have to pinch myself at some of the things we find. I think that in more affluent places the charity shop workers recognise the labels and price them accordingly. Round here Next is considered "designer"!
      I loved the leopard print band on that fedora, makes it a bit blingy! xxx

      Delete
  2. Have enjoyed your travels both here and abroad of late. We were up at the National Agricultural Exhibition centre at Stoneleigh working last weekend before Covid got us. Am very happy being at home but am champing at the bit to get out adventuring again! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're both feeling better now. I saw that 1 in 50 Brits have Covid at the moment. We tested ourselves when we caught colds last week but luckily for us they were negative. xxx

      Delete
  3. I love the white embroidered dress. Very chic. Your outfits are always so colourful and glorious. I wonder if people stop you in the street and tell you how fab you look? I would if you do passed me by!
    I had my Covid booster a couple of weeks ago. Boy, did I suffer. Flu like symptoms for a week and a very red swollen arm. Very painful too. I always felt that people exaggerate their responses, no I am eating my words!


    BTW I very much enjoyed your Rhodes travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carole! I'm sorry you felt so rough after your booster, it's really odd how it affects people so differently.
      It makes my day when I get complimented. A couple of people stopped me today in Wilkos. Its such a kind thing to do. xxx

      Delete
  4. Ricky Ross, frontman of Deacon Blue is doing a one-man tour of UK and the other week, he was in Birmingham. He's only doing small venues with a piano and his acoustic guitar. He's had rave reviews and even if you're not a DB fan, I think anyone would enjoy his gentle manner and lovely voice and some of his songs are so emotive. Those Jones' boots are just perfect. Been scouring our chazzas but nothing to write home about. A lot of Edinburgh scenery in The Lost King, I believe (haven't seen it yet) and I absolutely love Steve Coogan - he was brilliant in Philomena with The Dame. Have a great week V and J. (ps great exhibition on in Edinburgh next week that you'd probs love - vintage knitwear from Chanel to Westwood).xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony loves Deacon Blue, I bet he'll be sorry he missed Ricky Ross. I remember him being interviewed on the Beeb last year and you're right, he's got such a lovely, gentle way about him.
      I'm very pleased with those boots, it's rare to find any knee high boots that don't make my skinny legs look like broomsticks in buckets (as my Mum always said!)
      The Lost King was wonderful, I love Steve Coogan when he plays a straight role and Edinburgh looked beautiful. One of Liz's friends has just moved to Edinburgh, as a fashion & textile graduate she'll love that exhibition. xxx

      Delete
    2. For your friend's friend, the knitwear exhibition is at the Dovecot Studios, Infirmary Street and starts next Saturday then there's a vintage fair on in Portobello (short bus ride from the city) called 'A Spoonful of Vintage' selling everything from clothes to furniture and that's on 30th October.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that, I'll tell her! x

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure if the United States has a police museum.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's a Spy Museum in Washington (I'd love to visit it) xxx

      Delete
  6. Yup, my eyes went right to that lilac suede coat in your shopped-mix! Glad you snaffed that for yourself, Vix! Loved seeing all your places and friends, and happy faces. What a gorgeous pub that is! Your dresses from Greece/Rhodes (and those square shades) are fabulous! I will watch for The Lost King - those Brit movies make it over to Canada pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I'd convinced myself that the coat wasn't grey it had to be mine.
      Those sunglasses claim to be Chanel and made in Italy but for 6 Euros I don't quite believe it!
      The Lost King is such a good watch and the Edinburgh scenery is stunning. xxx

      Delete
  7. The Deutschland series is a snapshot of my youth. It was a life time ago and people just cant get their heads around the reality of the time. Made me very nostalgic and sniffy.

    The suede coat? Another flash back for me.

    Enjoy your new week. It's Thanksgiving here in Canada and it's time to relax and put on the comfy clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you and your family have a lovely relaxed day.
      I remember watching the Berlin Wall come down with my flatmates on the tiny black and white TV in our shared house. It was such an exciting time, so much optimism and excitement. The three Deutschland series are so good, I can watch them over and over again. Kleo is brilliant and all the better for having a female protagonist. xxx

      Delete
  8. After a weekend of constant rain your beautiful pictures have been a wonderful start to my week, thank you. You might describe this as 'normal' and not nearly as warm and fun and Rhodes, but it's a damn good normal :-)

    Your day out with Nikki looks like the mostest fun ever, and if I should find myself at Chaart Attack! then I'm having the same lunch as you, looks quite deelish ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Jayne! We've not had as much rain as you by the sounds of it but when we get it it's a struggle to stay cheery, isn't it? Thank goodness for a town centre cinema for some escapism!
      The Police Museum was fascinating. They also run open evenings with wine and local historians (including my favourite, Brummie legend Carl Chinn), I rather fancy that. The Chaart Attack! was demolished in record time, it was as delicious as it looked! xxx

      Delete
  9. Epic but great. You are looking really lovely, the summer has agreed with you so. It’s nice to see Liz as well. Looking forward to what you’ll be getting upto during this last part of 2022. The suede coat was a cinch and goes with your hat. We toured the chazzas while at Jill’s and can report that there was absolutely nothing in any of them. Obviously things are changing. Maybe folk are holding on to their clobber or selling it online. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn! Autumn always used to be back to back vintage fairs at weekends and spending the rest of the week recovering. It's lovely to have the energy and freedom to go out on a whim!
      What a shame the chazzas near Jill were poor. I have noticed that the pickings are getting slimmer than they've been in ages (I'm hoping by writing this that I'll find some amazing goodies tomorrow morning!) xxx

      Delete
  10. What a lovely catch up of all your escapades and outings. You really do suit that teal coloured hat, it's a different colour for you, but a very good one. The Lost King sounds like a really good film, I need to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I love teal - I paint my nails with it and it's the colour of our lounge walls but you're right, there's little of it on my wardrobe.
      The Lost King was such a good watch, highly recommended if comes to a cinema near you. It's a BBC film so it might not be too long till it's screened on the TV. xxx

      Delete
  11. The West Midlands Police Museum sounds right up my street and I'm swooning over the interior of The Bartons Arms!
    I'm glad to hear you got your boosters without any ill effects. We both had ours as well and contrary to nos. 2 and 3, I only had a slightly sore arm.
    I'm loving both of your Greek dresses, particularly the embroidered cotton one. My favourite, however, is the vintage Afghan dress, even though it had some fierce competition from the tomato dress!
    Well done for finding that suede coat, which is a stunner and indeed looks more like a lilac than a grey to me.
    I'll be having a look at the Teddy Gray's video in a minute, as I'm intrigued.
    Hope your colds are better now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the Police Museum. I'd seen snippets of it on a Peaky Blinders documentary I'd watched during lockdown and it was top of my list for visiting when life went back to normal.
      Isn't The Bartons Arms gorgeous? I'm all over a tiled interior.
      I'm glad you and Jos suffered no ill effects from the booster, hopefully the flu jab will be just as straightforward in a fortnight's time.
      That Teddy Gray's film is an absorbing watch. I worked in a Walsall factory very similar to that. The Black Country really is the land that time forgot! xxx

      Delete
  12. The jacket is definitely a bruised lilac and suits you to a "T". In fact, all of your outfits in this post are fab. I didn't think that a Police Museum could be so interesting, but I would be intrigued by the mug shots and information about the Peaky Blinders. I notice the fellow with the chicken tattoo was arrested for stealing a chicken - hmmmm, a bit fowl-obsessed perhaps? The Barton Arms is GORGEOUS - I love the "snob screens". Thanks for the Kleo recommendation - I kept looking at that thinking I may watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shelley! The chicken tattoo and the fowl rustling did make us laugh although there was a birch and the bench those sentenced to were strapped to and it seemed a barbaric punishment for such a petty crime.
      The Bartons Arms is beautiful. I can't get enough of those tiles. Maybe pubs should reintroduce snob screens so women could go out without having to tolerate the gaze of predatory men!
      Kleo is wonderful. We watched the last episode last night and I'm bereft. I hope there's a second series. xxx

      Delete
  13. That prison sounds fascinating.. my husband is a huge fan of the show.
    Such gorgeous tile work in the pub and delish food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaky Blinders is so popular, it really has put our part of the world on the map after years of being ignored! xxx

      Delete
  14. The Police Museum has been on my list for a while. I really need to see it now! Love the look of the Bartons Arms too and, aside from yourself, who better to recommend it than Stephen Knight?!
    That Cornbury purchased Afghan dress is a stunner (as is your most recent Rhodes buy). I happened to catch the beginning of Mary Berry last Thursday night - she was at Cornbury!
    I too have to stock up on Teddy Gray's herbal tablets from time to time! Think we all grew up on them in these parts. Hope the cold's better! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Police Museum really is fab, Claire. If you look on their website they do a few open evenings, they had one with Carl Chinn last weekend - wine included - for £15, I'd have loved that!
      Fancy Mary Berry being in Cornbury, I bet The Hairy Bikers tipped her off.
      My cold was one of those annoying ones that didn't come to much but lingered for ages, let's hope I'm immune for the rest of the season. xxx

      Delete
  15. Such lovely swag, Vix! It is sad to put away summer - but I'm doing the delight of autumn/winter dressing dance, on unpacking the warm stuff. Lovely to think about the same on welcoming back summer friends after winter!

    The police museum looks chokka with social history. We had a guided tour of St George's Hall in Liverpool a couple of years back which was super-interesting but really unsettling/upsetting. It is hard to reconcile the incredible Hall on the upper floor with the grimness (and cruelty) of the court and holding cells beneath. I believe they filmed a lot of Peaky Blinders here too!

    The Barton Arms looks amazing - such an incredible survivor - bring back snob screens I say (can we have them in coffee shops too lol).

    And now - I just need to figure out how to get a travel trunk up our loft ladder ....

    Take care all xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! It is exciting to open the suitcase and rediscover old friends, isn't it? There's always something I've forgotten.
      I've never been inside St George's Hall but have admired it from the outside, I bet it's very fancy indoors as so many of the municipal buildings in our great industrial cities once were. I reckon being a location scout for Peaky Blinders must be a dream job.
      The Bartons Arms really is gorgeous and yes, Snob Screens ought to make a come back. I know a few pubs around here that would benefit from them!
      Be careful up in that loft, love! xxx

      Delete
  16. You never fail to inspire me, Vix! Spicy tofu with bok choy and IPA is the perfect menu for a patio meal served to guests wearing summer cottons topped with lightweight jackets (We call this the "Professor Birkenstock season", when wearing wooly socks with sandals makes sense.)

    That Ble, made in Santorini, dress is lovely as you've styled it here and now -- but I hope next year offers an evening for it to be worn with your golden sandals and a gauzy white shawl shot with metallic thread. Your hair done up in a Grecian knot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is socks and sandals weather, Beth. I braved clogs with bare feet on Monday and instantly regretted it.
      I shall turn the Ble dress up a few inches next year and wear it in Greece with sandals and an upd, great minds think alike! xxx

      Delete
  17. Nice to see you back Vix, My husband was a police officer for 30 years before he retired in 2018. There have been a a lot of changes since he joined.
    Love that red dress.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! The museum was fascinating, I loved reading about the first Asian, black and female officers. xxx

      Delete
  18. I had worse after effects from my flu jab than the covid booster.
    Cool fedora, and nice find of the suede coat. Amazing what they'll price some things at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only person to say that. Here's hoping we'll be okay after ours next week! xxx

      Delete
  19. I can't get over the police museum...the pub was amazing - those tiles - and I loved the snob screens.

    Fabulous finds from the chazzas; my eye was drawn to the suede coat at once and it's a beautiful shade of grey; you're right, it has a lilac shade to it. Your own outfits are fabulous, too. The Afghan dress is superb; love the tomato dress and the Greek find was so pretty and fresh looking. The new teal hat was a brilliant buy as were your fabulous boots!

    Hope you're week is going well.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two places to add to your must visit list next time you visit Brum, Vronni! I'd love to go to one of the lectures with Carl Chinn they occasionally put on.xxx

      Delete
  20. Lovely post! I really enjoyed to join you in your visit to the Police Museum and see those photographs and the magnificent brick architecture.
    And obviously I'm in love with that pub in Birmingham, I've even pointed it to Mr.A. who is a huge fan of traditional british pubs. And that photo of you posing near the fireplace is particularly fabulous!, you rock it!
    Also lovely to see you styling your greek purchases, so beautiful dresses! and looking so summery and joyful!. And that vintage afghan dress is fantastic, those colours are so vivid and your new hat looks perfect with it!.
    I always admire your talent to find fabulous pieces, that suede coat is Totally Amazing!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a traditional English tiled pub, there's quite a lot around here and I tend to take them for granted. I should organise a pub crawl and revisit them all! xxx

      Delete
  21. I would say that coat shade is "British Blue" as in Pedigree CAT fur!
    You did well on that AND the other makes! I like very much!
    Loved your Greece purchases. They are really lovely! The whole collection of outfits is a joy to see!
    The prison looks great!!!
    I'm salivating over the Thai! My food of choice!!
    Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat fur blue, that's utterly brilliant! xxx

      Delete
  22. Another fab trip to Brum Vix, so much to see and do! Oh yes, those lady Victorian crims are well dressed. What an amazing looking pub. I'm especially loving the white Greek dress. Please excuse me now, I have to go and shave a Mohawk monsieur's head :0 Something I've been putting off all afternoon xXx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the tomato dress and bruised lilac coat! Definitely agree about the colour not being grey! The police museum visit looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The museum looks fascinating! I was in Birmingham on Saturday and also browsed the Monsoon sale rail, when my train home got cancelled!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix