Monday 29 August 2022

Seven Days


This week has mostly been a frantic scramble to get ready for our final festival of the season. Thankfully, we only had rain on Thursday so I've been able to line-dry our finds. Here's what we found on Wednesday.....

1960s Dunn & Co cossack-style hat, vintage tooled leather bag, Urban Outfitters "Feel the Love" tie-dye tee, sequinned Converse, 1970s flower power jumpsuit, a trio of vintage Failsworth tweed trilbys, Schuh leopard desert boots, milkmaid style top, 1980s Adidas shellsuit, Gabicci peacock print shirt and a 1980s St Michael velvet blazer


Zara book print shirt, vintage leather gloves and sheepskin mittens, a trio of vintage flat caps, 1980s seersucker jumpsuit, 1980s BHS shirt, 1970s suede jacket, cord workers jacket & Superdry tee shirt (both for Jon), 1970s cord jacket, cassette print shirt, 1980s canvas shirt and a Roccola floral shirt.


Here's Thursday's outfit. The Indian block print scarf was 70% off in the Summer sales, the Indian block print tote bag was a Beautiful Days purchase and my Lucky Brand dungarees & Superga plimsolls were both charity shop finds. The milkmaid top was bought the previous day - shirred tops are brilliant under dungarees and pinafores, no bulky layers or fiddling about trying to tuck stuff in.


Talking of festival purchases, these amazing snake earrings were made by Amy, our neighbour at Beautiful Days. She only started making jewellery a couple of months ago - aren't they gorgeous?


Thursday started with a half-mile swim followed by a Spoons breakfast. We had a look around the chazzas on the way home, coming back with a 1970s Indian block printed shirt, a 1980s batwing jacket by Mexx and this 1980s American-made sequinned maxi dress - I bought it for the Kinky rails but Jon told me that I looked like mermaid in it so I reckon it's a keeper! 


We were out stock hunting again on Friday morning but, needless to say, found a few bits for ourselves, too. The Kantha foot stool was originally from Wayfair and must have cost a lot more than the £5 I paid for it. I've got a bit of a basket addiction so couldn't resist another to add to the collection.


Already in situ!


Also a 1980s shirt by Ambience, an Indian block printed midi dress, suede Chelsea boots (now Jon's), Pop Boutique shirt, a 1980s handmade metallic batwing top, a metallic mohair jumper, a contemporary culotte jumpsuit made in Canada by Eva Gravel.


A hot pink pleated midi skirt by hip Scandi lifestyle brand Arket (£69 on the website), vintage boilersuit, 1980s "Classics" cotton tent dress, Clarks Originals combat boots, 1960s Lurex psych print mini dress, 1980s suede waistcoat, 1970s English-made ankle wellies and 1980s Indian cotton block printed shirt.


I wore an old favourite, a 1960s embroidered cotton maxi dress which I bought from my friend Viv a few years ago.


You knew I'd keep that tooled leather bag I bought on Wednesday, didn't you? When I was carrying it around the shop an elderly lady approached me and told me that she was thrilled that I was buying it, as she'd donated it! The Rajasthani silver hoops are my other Beautiful Days purchase.

The sunshine made a welcome return on Saturday and I squeezed in a couple of hours on the lawn in-between laundry and labelling, mending, housework and weeding . Remember Thursday's headscarf? Like the French-designed Sundress I shared on my blog the other day, it's another of those multi-purpose garments I'm always searching for to add to my travel wardrobe. I wore it as a bandeau top with a pair of £1 Topshop high waisted denim shorts acquired from the charity clearance shop on Friday morning. This summer has been the year of the shorts, I seem to have lived in them!


We were late up on Sunday morning (9am!) and after pricing the rest of the new stock, we nipped into town with a few donations for the charity shop including the books we'd recently read and the 1970s vinyl pouffe, surplus to requirements after acquiring the kantha footstool earlier in the week.


Needless to say, we came back with more than we left home with - a 1990s psych print wrap skirt and maxi dress (same designer with the tags still attached), Converse All Stars, a 1970s Peter Golding boob tube (I had a pink one with a silver lightning flash I wore to school discos!), a 1970s German-made mesh tee shirt, a ridiculous pink peacock, a 1980s "Classics" cotton smock dress (same make, style and size as the pink one I found on Friday!) and a Zara shirt for Jon.


I wore the new-with-tags Pitusa pima cotton tiered maxi dress I scored from Banardos last year for £3 (it retailed at £154.99) My hair's grown like mad since I came off the pill in January, I didn't recognise myself when I caught a back view of myself in the service station mirrors on the way back from Beautiful Days! 


My Ancient Greek "Crysso" sandals also got an outing - they currently retail for £190 but mine were new and still in their dust bags and priced at a bargainous £20 (incl.postage) Buy it Now from eBay.


Sunday afternoon was spent in a bikini and Crocs. We packed the latest stock into the van and I spent the rest of the afternoon on the lawn finishing my 53rd book of the year, another historical pageturner by Philippa Gregory. They say never judge a book by its cover and if I didn't already know and love her books, I'd never have picked up this one - it looks like some soppy romance rather than a meticulously researched Tudor epic.


Despite Monday being a bank holiday I was up and on the Wii Fit at 6am and after a mad few hours of baking, floor cleaning and blog catching-up I spent the morning sorting out my festival wardrobe dressed in my new-to-me mermaid maxi and Asbeau head dress & dancing around the bedroom to the Notting Hill Carnival special on 6Music.


It wasn't quite a normal Monday. Adrian had organised Lakeside Live, a free festival at Walsall Arboretum, so we spent a fabulous few hours in great company watching some brilliant local talent.


Lord Jon wore a Levis Western shirt and a pair of slim fit cotton shorts (both charity shop finds).


I'm wearing a gauzy cotton, vintage 1970s David Butler for Pressler maxi found in a clearance bin. The previous owner had removed the sleeves and inserted them into the side seams to increase the size so I had to unpick the whole thing and remake it from scratch. 

Living Secret


Living Secret (that's Adrian on the drums)



Passive Fix

Garden

The Therapists

Vibrant Ducks

Vibrant Ducks







Great fun and despite the forecast, the rain held off.


It's been another week of eating well for not much money. Here's the contents of our latest Lidl "Waste Not" boxes (a total spend of £3).


I discovered this monster lurking in the courgette patch when we got back from Beautiful Days....


...and despite hardly being home to water them, we've never had so many home-grown cherry tomatoes. 


Lots of tasty, scratch-cooked vegetarian food including cakes (to share with friends) and two curries which I've frozen ready to take away with us this week - if 2022 is anything like previous years there's never any time to cook, we're too busy!


Viewing-wise, we've binged on Lykkeland (State of Happiness), the wonderful Norwegian drama set during the oil boom of the 1970s and ploughed through season two of Capitani, the Luxembourgish cop thriller (okay, nothing earth-shattering). Tonight we'll be watching the final two episodes of Wild Wild Country, the riveting documentary about Osho's (aka Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh) free love commune. A few years ago one of his disciples ended up living with us for a while....but that's another story.

 

We're off to End of the Road....see you on the other side!

57 comments:

  1. Loving your Thursday shopping outfit. You look 👍 n, but dressed for business in the charity stores. Your meals look great. I just made pickles from my daughter's cucumbers, sweet bread and butter and delicious with Everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! We made a cucumber relish a couple of years ago, I'd forgotten all about it. Know I know what to do with any excess we get in the veg boxes. We tried growing them this year but they all got munched by the slugs! xxx

      Delete
  2. Your tomatoes clearly loved the heatwave. They're beautiful.
    Have a great festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed, we've not had a successful tomato crop in years - they're delicious.
      Thank you - I'm so excited about EotR, I hope the weather is kind! xxx

      Delete
  3. Your chazza-scouting skills have never been sharper: what an array of beautiful, wearable finds! The Cossack hat resembles one I inherited from my father, which I wear in the coldest winters over a Russian babushka (what else?).

    The heat fried my garden containers this year. I'm particularly envious of your cherry tomato crop. According to rough calculations, each Sweet 100 cost $4.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Funnily enough we'd seen a chap wearing one of those cossack hats at Beautiful Days and Jon mentioned that his grandad always wore one in winter and lo and behold, it was the first thing he spotted when he next went out!
      Despite being at home to tend to them for the last two summers, our tomato crop was rubbish. They must thrive on neglect (and vine-ripened cherry tomatoes are expensive here, too!) xxx

      Delete
  4. You definitely look like a mermaid queen in that outfit! That Phillipa Gregory cover is terrible! I hate when the outfits are just so totally wrong you don't have to be fashion historian to tell! I can't tell you how many Victorian themed books have people in cheap corsets on the front! (I saw one once and was like "I saw that corset on eBay, it's $10! and so bent!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! That Philippa Gregory novel was part of a boxed set we found in a charity shop, each cover was equally as awful! It's like the photographer had hunted for a "Mediaeval fancy dress costume" on Amazon. I much prefer it when they use a painting of the period. xxx

      Delete
  5. I mean you probably would believe it, I just meant that as a figure of speech, haha.

    Also I forgot to mention that I am impressed with the Vintage dress. Both with the original person for managing to not wreck the sleeves when they used them as extra fabric and you for fixing it back up so you'd never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed with the previous owner's clever use of the sleeves. It took ages to sew the dress back together properly but it was really enjoyable! xxx

      Delete
  6. I really like the Kantha foot stool. It short of reminds me of kawandi stitching on quilt. I like to do a cape or poncho like wise.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of kawandi until I just looked it up - it looks very similar to kantha but with folded-in edges. xxx

      Delete
  7. Your mermaid dress and headdress were made for each other. Have a fabulous time at End of the Road. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Crysso sandals are fabulous but I'm not sure which staggers me more - a manufacturer who believes they are worth nearly £200 or the consumer who would pay that?

    You've both had such a full-on seven days, I'm tired just reading it all 🤪 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. The Ancient Greeks are so expensive - I would have put it down to them being handmade but I bought a pair of handmade ones in Corfu and they were £28 so maybe it's the wing-shaped buckle that costs a fortune. I'm astounded that anyone would spend that much and then sell them on ebay so cheaply as "they don't suit me" - that's what makes ebay so addictive, I suppose! xxx

      Delete
  9. sweet little local festival!
    but of cause - the next and last big one needs a lot of prepping - you did well at the chazzas..... and the mermaid dress was made for you!
    have fun at end of the road! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see that local festival being so well supported!
      End of the Road is usually a big one for us - exciting and daunting at the same time. I hope the weather plays nicely and I can wear the mermaid dress. xxx

      Delete
  10. What a lot of work you both put in for the festivals. Do you cook in the van? Watched that docu too. What a charlatan and a fraud he was. Would love to hear how one of his followers ended up at yours? Yikes!Have a great Festival.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thrive on all the planning and preparation - I'm up at the crack of dawn scribbling lists, sewing on buttons and ironing and get even more annoying once we're there.
      We have all the facilities for cooking when we're away - our works camper just has a bed in it but we have an awning with a two-ring gas hob, a cool box and a fridge. We're usually too busy to leave the shop for long so it's usually salad stuffed in a pitta bread or a bowl of curry and rice which invariably gets abandoned when someone want to buy something.
      I shall have to share the story of our time with a refugee from a sex cult! xxx

      Delete
    2. That sounds perfect. I wondered if you had extra space.I would've come and cooked and done the dishes but now I have Covid, again! Both take care. It's a jungle out there!xxx

      Delete
  11. What fab finds this week! I love the footstool and the basket (I too have a thing for baskets at the moment and have a similar one to your new one in our bathroom). Those earrings are fabulous too!

    I had to laugh at the thought of you dancing around the bedroom in your mermaid dress and head dress - why do people bother to grow up?! Summer 2022 has definitely been the season of shorts - what would we do without them?

    How lucky that you had a mini festival at Walsall Arboretum. What a great way to ease into the week! Can you send some of this talent our way please? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! I can't resist a basket, it's getting quite ridiculous as I keep finding them in charity shops - they must be out of fashion!
      Growing up is overrated. I shall be dancing barefoot in rams horns and a vintage dress all weekend (weather permitting!) and giving the teenage festival goers a run for their money.
      Adrian did a brilliant job organising that festival - you'll have to come next year! xxx

      Delete
  12. Been away for the long weekend - now in bed with a dose of the covids!!!! (gah rubbish) your post was just what I needed to read :) Enjoy 'The End of the Road' xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Kate! I'm so sorry the evil lurgy has caught up with you. I hope your dose is as mild as mine was and you're back on your feet quickly. Loads of love. xxx

      Delete
  13. Such beautiful clothing outfits Vix, the black dress and sandals are awesome. I can't believe all that food for 3 pounds. I priced it ou and it is about $45 (NZ) or 24 pounds. We never get such bargins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julie! We're really lucky with our veg boxes, all supermarkets should sell them rather than chucking food past its best before date into landfill. xxx

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous post. I love all your finds except that Shell Suit, they were an abomination ... my eldest sons spent his early teens living in a blue one and wearing a lime green baseball cap and it's scarred me for life.

    You are doing really well with the 'Waste Not' boxes all that fruit and veg look absolutely perfect. Enjoy the End of the Road. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Shell suits have been loved by the festival going cool kids for years, we can't understand the fascination either! This is the first complete Adidas one we've found, I bet it won't hang around for long!
      Those Waste Not boxes are so good, it's like Ready Steady Cook at teatime in our house most nights! xxx

      Delete
  15. the concert looks SO much fun! I love such concerts. All the sets and items you wore are beautiful (because you don't tolerate not beautiful items, as I think) but the white dress with red embroidery definitely had my heart. SO charming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Beleive it or not, I have the same dress in blue with yellow embroidery- what are the chances? xxx

      Delete
  16. Your chazza hunt for new stock has certainly paid off, and finding things for yourself is an absolute bonus. That footstool is a stunner and like you, I find it hard to resist a basket!
    Some fabulous outfits here too. Your 1960s embroidered cotton maxi dress is a particular favourite, and yes, I knew you were going to keep that tooled leather bag. How lovely that you ran into the lady who donated it.
    The mermaid maxi and Asbeau head dress are just made for each other!
    The small festival looks and sounds like great fun, and I can't get over the value of those Liddl Waste Not boxes. Must find out if they're a thing here too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I can't resist a good basket, there seems to be a glut of them in the chazzas at the moment.
      I can't believe I met the lady who donated that bag, I always long to know where the vintage pieces we find come from.
      All supermarkets should offer those waste not boxes. I'm amazed by how many people in the checkout queue turn their noses up at them! xxx

      Delete
  17. You look magical in your mermaid maxi and head dress Vix - and your next adventure sounds wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're very lucky with the quality of the Waste Not boxes in Lidl in your area, I wish ours were that good.
    We're up in Cheshire and ours are always absolutely dreadful, it seems that our shops don't put them out until the stuff is actually rotting!
    I love the mermaid dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a shame about the Waste Not boxes of Cheshire, Col. I wonder if it's because the people of Walsall aren't very keen on fresh fruit and veg hence the Lidl hs loads to get rid of! xxx

      Delete
  19. The Waste not boxes in the Lidl near school are not like that...everything is loose and mixed up, a real assortment of things...not bad though.
    That courgette is brilliant! I keep getting monsters too! Most of them rot but then there is one beast every so often.
    You did well in the chazzers- I like the 2 jumpsuits esp the floral one.
    That's so sweet about the elderly lady and her tooled leather bag- it is really beautiful and you will definitely appreciate it!
    I have bought a few things in the chazzers this holiday as well as the green dress I shared earlier in the month...BUT I have been more restrained than I might have been- ended up going to a town, 40 minutes with CBC earlier to help him try to find a suit (should have stayed at home but as mentioned in my email...seem to be avoiding doing the work) and almost bought several items in chazzers but only came back with 3 things!
    Adrian's festival sounds excellent!Did you enjoy it? A uni friend sent me an email recently about having a festival in their garden to celebrate 20 years of marriage...as they know lots of musicians. We didn't go but I saw her videos on insta and it seemed great fun!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we're very lucky with our Waste Not boxes - I keep saying it's because most of the population of Walsall prefer burgers and chips to fresh fruit and veg hencer the surfeit!
      I'm pleased that you've done well in the chazzas, the green dress was fab. I owe you an email, I'm playing catch-up at the moment.
      Adrian's festival was great and so well supported too, there was a seperate area for story telling and performance poetry so something for everyone. I like the idea of a garden festival to celebrate an anniversary. A lot of people who buy from us are going to events like that and want something fancy to wear! xxx

      Delete
  20. I hope you enjoy a fabulous and successful festival. I am so envious of those vegetable boxes. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a busy week you had, and such a lot of fabulous pieces you found at chazzas!.
    Looking fab in your dungarees and 'milkmaid' top (shirred tops are not my cup of tea, but great tip on wearing them under pinafores!).
    The cute foot stool and basket are really eye catching pieces!, and they look perfect in their new places.
    Totally in love with both the 60's maxi and the Pitusa dress. I think that a black cotton maxi is such a summery-mediterranean style, love it with the sandals!.
    But my favourite one is that 70's dress that you had to remake, totally fab print and coolness!. You Rock it!. And obviously, a huge fan of your mermaid dress and headpiece, they're made for Fabulousness and dancing!.
    Great pics of the festival at the arboretum, the atmosphere looks pretty relaxed and lovely!
    I haven't found that kind of boxes at supermarkets, only discounts on near to expire items. But some local market sellers offer to usual customers some 'ugly fruit' which is perfectly edible but unsellable. We appreciate their attitude!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! Yes, those shirred tops are all over the chazzas at the moment, they're so useful under things.
      I keep meaning to take that ruffled Pitusa maxi away with me to Greece, I might have to pack it next time. xxx

      Delete
  22. Apparently tomatoes will grow sweeter if you don't water them too much. My friend with the allotment has a bumper crop this year with no watering and although she religiously watered her runner beans they were rotten!

    Such fabulous finds! I loved both of your new pairs of earrings and I loved mid block printed dress and the leopard print Schuh boots! Loved all your dresses; the ruffled one is simply gorgeous. The new to you tooled leather bag was naturally a keeper and great to have met the original owner.

    How fab to have worn shorts for most of the summer and how your hair has grown. Very weird it took coming off the pill to do that but it looks lovely - Jon was right; very mermaid looking!

    Hurrah for local festivals and hope you have a brilliant time at 'End of the Road'.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting - no wonder they are so delicious, every time i walk past them I keep picking and eating them, we've never had so many. We had the same failure with our runner bean crop, too.
      Coming off the pill has been a revelation - I think I've bypassed the menopause - no symptoms after 9 months! My hair's grown, got really thick and I've lost weight. How freaky! Still getting the odd spot though, sadly! xxx

      Delete
  23. Oh WOW you got so many nice things!! And loving all these looks such fun boho dresses and love the look with the coveralls. The festival looked so fun and brings back fond memories for me of when I lived in Seattle.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you have a fabulous time at End of the Road! I would love to see The Pixies and Fleet Foxes, and I saw Tinariwen at a World Music Festival here several years back and they were great. I can't believe the number of cotton dresses you find at the chazzas over there. All summer I was looking for one or two light cotton dresses and it's all gross-feeling polyester here. I have purchased a blouse by Eve Gravel and it was insanely expensive. The grey culotte jumpsuit is definitely more subdued than her prints, but it was probably still a couple of hundred dollars new. I have been living in similar jumpsuits, so if it was my size I would snag it off you in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pixies were incredible but I found the Fleet Foxes just "nice" and got a bit bored after a few songs. Tinariwen are always excellent, we've seen them numerous times over the years.
      How annoying about the lack of cotton dresses in the thrifts. There's been loads here in all sizes and styles, but it seems like the general population prefer to squeeze themselves into skintight synthetics and moan about the heat.
      That Eve Gravel jumpsuit was black (poor photo!) and originally retailed at $325 - it got tried on loads and finally went to a really cool older woman with waist length silver hair! xxx

      Delete
  25. Always reading, seldom commenting! Having a time of it at the mo' - ah well.

    Lovely to read about travels and trading. Madness in chazzers - lots of folks still having a wardrobe purge obvs; dragged home a vintage Jaeger 100% cashmere coat a couple of weeks ago - could not leave it behind, despite temps in the high 70s lol.

    As to gardens - our strawberry plants have flowers on them again. Your Lidl boxes are fab - ours are full of fruit flies and sad produce - I suspect the staff don't have time to trim/sort the past-it stuff.

    Love to all xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're often in my thoughts, Elaine. So good to hear from you. Hope all's okay.
      Great score on the Jaeger coat! Gotta love these decluttering nutters and followers of Marie Kondo - all the better for us although I was trying to sort out my holiday bag earlier and was appalled at how much summer stuff I'd acquired over the last few months from the chazzas - it looks like I might need to book a few more sunshine holidays!
      Our strawberries were very poor this year but it looks like the raspberries are having another showing! Take care. xxx

      Delete
  26. The dungaree outfit is so cute on you and I you always have such great finds! I really like the metallic maxi dress you kept, it is very mermaid-tastic! And that leather bag is so beautiful with the embroidered dress :)

    Hope you are having a good weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mica! It's lovely to hear from you. xxx

      Delete
  27. Is it already the last festival of the summer? Time really flies. I cannot believe that summer is already over.
    I love all of your outfits. The white dress you wore with the leather bag is so pretty. How lovely that the old lady who donated the bag said she was happy you bought it. I think she was thrilled to see someone wearing it so stylishly.
    The shorts and top (scarf) outfit is the essence of summer. You look great in shorts.
    The black maxi outfit is stunning as well.
    Have a loooovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where does the time go? I can't believe the festivals are over and I'm frantically trying to unpack the van and sort out my travel bag for our annual September getaway!
      I always fantasise about where my charity shop finds originate, it's really exciting to chat to a previous owner.
      Lovely to hear from you, Ivana. Lots of love! xxx

      Delete
  28. Sorry I'm so late to commenting - I hope you had a blast at End of the Road! I recognize a ton of those bands (Lucy Dacus, Hooray for the Riff Raff, Dehd, to name a few), thanks to L and his ongoing collecting of music.

    I love seeing all of your purchases, and I adore your mermaid dress with your headdress! I hope you kept the green sequined boob-tube, Vix! I seems very "you"!

    My apologies for not being around this week - it's been a rough one here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sheila, I've just read your post and am sending you, L and Vizzini all the love in the world.
      I'm very impressed with your knowledge of Indie bands. L's got great taste.
      I told myself that I'd keep the boob tube if it didn't sell in the first couple of days unfortunately an 8 year old girl fell in love with it and left wearing it as a mini skirt - maybe if she comes back next year I'll buy it back off her! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix