Thursday 5 May 2022

Kinky Boots!



Last night Liz and I pulled on our best kinky boots and headed off to Wolverhampton's Grand Theatre to see the stage show of the same name.

Preferring a lower heel, Jon opted for a pair of charity shopped Vans hi-tops worn with a vintage cord jacket, a 1960s batik shirt and a pair of second-hand Levis.


 
I went for the vintage Peter Max-like maxi dress snaffled for £2 the previous day which had taken me a large portion of the afternoon to shorten, hacking 5" from the bottom and hemming it by hand.


I bought the fabric bangles from Gujurat and the clutch bag (made in Florence) was a chazza shop find. Jon had done my roots earlier in the day. 


Wolverhampton's Grand Theatre, or The Grand, as its known locally, is a grade II listed building with a seating capacity for 1200. Designed in 1894 by the architect Charles J Phipps, it was built at a cost of £10,000 and opened just six months later. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs CJ Mander of Wightwick Manor, the stunning Arts & Crafts mansion we often visit on our National Trust days out (see HERE). Wolverhampton is our nearest city, seven miles away from Walsall (Birmingham is 9 miles away).

After a drink in the bar (a zero alcohol San Miguel for me), we took our seats in a packed house. The production was an amateur one, by the Bilston Operatic Society, but the performances were excellent and we had an absolute blast.


Jon and I are convinced that one of the drag queens is a volunteer in our favourite charity shop, we'll have to ask if he can do the splits next time we call in.

Review and more photos HERE

It was a school night for Al, the only one amongst us gainfully employed, so we gave the 'Spoons opposite the theatre a miss, posed by a magnificently moody looking wall, and he drove us home. Tucked up in bed shortly after 11pm. 

With the course of antibotics finished, we went for our first swim of the week, clocking up 40 lengths and 40 poolside pull-ups (me, not Jon, his back would probably give out!)

An early morning swim means breakfast at 'Spoons and, of course, we ordered our usual, Eggs Benedict for Jon and Mushrooms Benedict for me. 


A quick trip around the chazzas yielded an 1980s cotton jumpsuit, made in England, and exactly like something Liz & I wore as teenagers - complete with crimped hair, plastic beads and lashings of Rimmel's Blue Sapphire kajal. We also found a huge vintage Indian silk screen printed tassel-trimmed shawl; a 1960s fur bag (all profits from fur sales always go to an animal charity); a relic from the Madchester era, Northside's "Shall We Take A Trip?" on 12" vinyl, banned at the time by the BBC for its many references to drugs. I was pleased to find Anita Anand's The Patient Assassin, based on the life of the revolutionary Udham Singh and the bloodbath that was the Jallianwalla Bagh Massacre in Amritsar. 

For my trip to the baths I wore my vintage Mayur Indian block printed dress & some 1970s deadstock sunnies and, because we had a 'Spoons date, the rings and bangles I usually leave at home.

Back at home I washed the swimming gear, along with everything else in the laundry basket, and pegged it out on the line to dry, a luxury after a succession of miserable & wet days. After we'd fed and chatted to Ollie, I sat in the sunshine in my bikini hemming a dress I'm planning to wear when I meet up with Nikki in the morning.

I'd started this historic novel a couple of days ago but decided to abandon it as it had started to irritate me, Alison Weir isn't a patch on Phillipa Gregory and life's far too short to waste on bad books. Back to the charity shop it goes!

That's more like it....castrastions, chaos and baby-eating, courtesy of national treasure, Stephen Fry!

Can you see Lord Jon slaving away in the background? He's been sanding down & applying Danish oil to the cast iron garden set our neighbours Ray & Florence gave us. Initially I wasn't overly keen on the green paint but, now the wood's darker, it looks rather nice.


I've always loved Greek mythology. I grew up reading The Iliad & Odyssey and studied Classical Studies at A Level. In Mythos, I'm reading about Chloris, the nymph associated with Spring. She was abducted by the God of the West Wind, Zephyrus, who transformed her into the deity known as Flora. She is said to have transformed the youths Crocus, Hyacinthus and Narcissus into flowers. 

Flora from Botticelli's La Primavera (Source)

Zephyrus with Chloris by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (Source)

Chloris (Greek for yellowish-green) has been out visiting our garden this week with the Rheum Palmatum (Ornamental rhubarb) shooting up in the pond and our Laburnum & Euphorbia in full bloom.





Tonight we'll be catching up with last night's Great British Sewing Bee & Secrets of the Museum and feasting on Haloumi with roasted veg. I'll be back soon with tales of my adventures with Nikki!

See you soon.
  

46 comments:

  1. I bought three fake fur handbags in a closing down sale for 50p each. Popped them in a charity bag a few years ago as i never used them and was whittling down my handbag collection. Now I wish I'd kept them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it annoying? Maybe they'll turn up in a charity shop one day? xxx

      Delete
  2. I thought Narcissus turned into flowers because he spent all his time staring into the lake at the beautiful young man that was his own reflection and pined because he could never reach the man so he turned into flowers when he died. Or maybe that happened when the goddess saw his body? Hmmm...can't remember!
    You look super in the Peter Maxesque dress. I love amateur productions! There is a lot of talent around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I really like that dress, it's wonderfully whafty. There is some amazing talent considering the cast were Black Country amateurs.
      I think it was Chloris who cast a spell on Narcissus because of his vanity. I remember the story and that gorgeous painting of him by Waterhouse, on my wall in my student hovel! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, I LOVE live theatre, especially musicals - my mum and I went to so many, but sadly she can't sit now for that long. I loved "Kinky Boots" the movie! What a gorgeous theatre! I love your outfit (and nodded wryly at hemming - something I need to do today).

    So wonderful to see your lush garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheila! Live theatre is so much fun, isn't it? The last time I went to a show was the weekend before the world went mad and we were locked down. What a shame your Mum can no longer sit for so long, I used to love seeing you and her dressed up to see a play.
      I haven't seen Kinky Boots, the movie. I may have to rectify that very soon!
      Goodness me, that dress took an absolute age to get right, Jon kept telling me to wear something else but you know what it's like when you're fixated on wearing a certain garment! xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh Vix, I especially enjoyed today's blog entry. I loved hearing about your theatre adventures and seeing your very-much-apropos attire! :-) Love all the clothes you girls chose to wear. I love going to the theatre, especially in Chicago. Haven't been in awhile and after reading your post here, I'm thinking I must change that! ~Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A night out at the theatre in Chicago sounds absolutely incredible, Andrea! Isn't it wonderful to get back to normality and do the things we loved doing before Coronavirus? I really apprecaite everything so much more aftre two years of lockdowns! xxx

      Delete
  5. Sometimes the semi amateur is just so much more fun. You see the performance purely through the lens of folks just doing what they love. I'm glad you still got Spoons in your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so impressed, there's some fantastic local talent out there!
      I'm not sure what I missed the most, swimming or Spoons but I always speed up after thirty lengths - I can almost taste the eggs! xxx

      Delete
  6. It's been a while since I went to the theatre, and the last couple of times we went were to musicals Jos's granddaughter played in. I always dressed up only to find I was usually one of a handful to have done so. You and Liz are looking fab in your kinky boots, and what a triumph that £ 2 was. Hemming it by hand must have been quite the job, though!
    Your garden is coming along nicely, I absolutely the explosion of growth and colour this time of year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being hugely impressed when you blogged about Jos's granddaughter's musical. Surprisingly there were quite a few people who'd dressed up, more so than in previous years, I think everyone's so excited about being able to out again they're making more of an effort!
      I did try sewing the dress on the machine but it didn't look right. I think it took longer to unpick the machine sewing than to redo it! xxx

      Delete
  7. What fun going to the theatre (quite grand) and you looked smashing in the Peter Maxx look dress. I can imagine hemming that took ages as it looks pretty full. Love your garden set especially with the dark wood stain. I love green, so that beautiful set would be cherished. Things appear to really be greening up and popping out. We are just starting to see some greener looking grass and buds on the lilac bushes. Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ranee! there's so much fabric in that dress, it did take a while to get the hem just right. The theatre is very grand,m it certainly lives up to its name!
      I'm glad things are greening up nicely in your part of the world! xxx

      Delete
  8. wasnt the sewing bee good? making trainers was something new. I would love to see Kinky Boots, your boots were perfect for the trip :) You did well to get that dress hem done in time. I like your Mayur dress, infact I think I prefer this label to Anokhi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved it! I'm tempted to look out for a knock-off pair of converse (non-verse!) in the charity shop and have a bash at making my own block printed version. they're a talented lot this year, aren't they?
      Mayur stuff is gorgeous but so fragile, i was so lucky to buy my dress off a lady in the next street for £20! xxx

      Delete
  9. Lovely hippy synchronicity that you found the perfect dress to go with the boots. Looks like you all had a fab time. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Liz look fabulous and I'm intrigued about that cast member. You must report back! Caleb has the Stephen Fry book lurking on his book shelf too - I must borrow it. Your garden bench set looks lovely - it's a wonderful time of year and I too love the yellow-green tones of fresh new growth. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! The chap in question is very flamboyant and often heavily made-up, there can't be many men like that in Bilston (or if there are, they're hiding from me!)
      I'm loving Mythos, when you do read it ignore the footnotes and go back to them when you've finished, Jon's head was about to explode when he read it! xxx

      Delete
  11. Hello Vix, I am on a blogathon catchup! Well, don't you all look lovey and dandy on your night at the fancy theatre. It looks like a hoot, though I really think the lads should have worn kinky boots too ;) Loving the 80s jump suit find. I love a bit of ancient history. I look forward to the Nikki adventures :) xXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. liz & you looking mega fabulous in your kinky boots and chic dresses!
    the show sounds like great fun - and you were a good girl not drinking alc and going to bed early :-D
    chloris was here too - brigt green and dainty flowers all over the garden and the land around.... bees and butterflies.....
    olli looks hungry and jon did very well oiling the garden furnitures wood - i actually prefer dark green garden furniture - or aged natural wood.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! I'm glad Chloris has visited you, too. I can almost see the plants growing after the torrential rain we had on Friday night! xxx

      Delete
  13. That dress appeared at just the right moment! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  14. More fabulousness from you, Vix. xxxx How is the gym going? Are you still also doing your morning step, and yoga as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ratnamurti! With the health blip on Monday and a day out with a pal, this week it's just been 40 lengths of the baths and Wii Fit on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday - I've changed my routine slightly - 10 minutes of yoga, 10 minutes of muscle workouts (jacknife, lunge, bicep curls and waist twists) and 10 minutes of step with hand weights. I shall start the gym routine in earnest when I'm back from my hols. xxx

      Delete
    2. jacknife - wow. You are strong. That's really admirable. Great routine, too.

      Delete
  15. We’re back! Just a quick hello! Shattered but pleased to be back. I would love to see kinky boots. Glad you had a fab Time and are fit and well again, I had that north side record but mum took it off me. The memories. Bed is calling love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, darling! So pleased to hear that you're home safely. I remember my mum being horrified whrn my brother bought "Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols" in 1977, she marched him back to the record shop and demanded a refund! Take care. xxx

      Delete
  16. That Peter Maxxish maxi is a match for those boots -- and that's saying something! But 5" off the hem? I'm trying to imagine the person who was the original wearer and wondering if the drag queen you think might work in a chazza could help...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if the Mxxish maxi might have belonged to a drag queen - I'm no giant but with my 6"platforms it was still miles too long! xxx

      Delete
  17. I have seen the movie Kinky Boots but not the musical version. I would like to, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the film but now I know that Chiwetel Ejiofor plays Lola/Simon, I really want to! xxx

      Delete
  18. I recall my grade school teacher doing Greek and Roman Myths. I like to read on Celtics and Druids.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Greek and Roman mythology. I know very little about Celtic and Druid stuff! xxx

      Delete
  19. The cast iron garden furniture looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun it must have been to see that show. Nothing beats a nice visit to theatre. I love the kinky boots you two wore and Jon looks cool wearing his sneakers and jeans. I love the maxi dress you wore and found/bought only a day prior to the outfit (what a deal that gorgeous dress was!). Kudos for you for hemming it by yourself.
    I have mixed feelings about historical novels. Some I really enjoy, some not at all. I've read only one novel by Phillipa Gregory (The White Queen) but liked it. I don't know this other author but if you are not feeling it better to let it go.
    P.S. I love Greek mythology too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! The theatre is a real treat, isn't it? Liz found some bargain basement seats as their position meant that a tiny bit of the stage was obscured - not that it mattered, we still saw the actors!
      I'm like you with historic novels, some are far too romanticised. I want to feel the danger and imagine the dirty streets, not just swoon over opulent dresses! xxx

      Delete
  21. woww, I'm in love with your fabulous outfit, totally kinktastic!, that dress and boots!.
    And obviously loving your block printed dress, I like to read that you adapt your outfits depending on having a date after swimming pool, just adding bijouterie!, such a great tip!. Love some Real Life!
    On Greek Myths and Literature, I've loved a book by Caroline Alexander: The War That Killed Achilles.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall add the Caroline Alexander book you recommended to my Kobo wishlist. I loved both Madeline Miller's books on Achilles and Circe! xxx

      Delete
  22. I loved Kinky boots, the movie, think you were more than approprietry styled for the performance. This dress is a classic example of "shitty/scratchy in the inside, lovely on the outside", isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Surprisiningly the fabric isn't like that at all, it's a lightweight synthetic, more like nylon than crimplene! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix