Thursday 9 December 2021

Rock This Town - From Shakespeare to Sabbath



The birthday fun continues! Yesterday I met up with my friend Nikki in Birmingham for a day of culture, fabulous food and fun.

I spent years in commuter hell passing the Hall of Memory in Centenary Square on a twice-daily basis, it felt good to stroll around and admire it at leisure. It was erected between 1922 and 1925 to commemorate the 12,320 Brummies who lost their lives in WW1.

Made from Portland stone, the foundation stone was laid by the Prince of Wales on 12 June 1923 and it was opened by Prince Arthur of Connaught on 4 July 1925 to a crowd of 30,000. Construction cost £60,000 and was funded through public donations. The four statues around the exterior are by local artist Albert Toft. They represent the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, and Women's Services.




Our first stop was the Ikon Gallery in Brindley Place to see some contemporary art; Chasing Rainbows, an exhibition by local artist, Betsy Brady and our songs were ready for all wars to come, a short film by Palestinian director, Noor Abed.


The Ikon is located within the former Oozells Street Board School, a splendid Neo-Gothic grade 1 listed building designed by Jon Henry Chamberlain in 1877.

The cafe was an absolute delight with the original Victorian stained glass windows, reclaimed industrial furniture and marvellously atmospheric crumbling plaster walls. The mint tea was divine.



Despite it towering over the city's skyline for over eight years, I'd never been inside The Library of Birmingham, which cost £189m to build and opened to the public in September 2013.


It's Europe's biggest library with creatively planted secret gardens situated on several of the terraces where visitors can sit and read.



Situated on the 10th Floor, the wood-panelled Shakespeare Room was designed by John Henry Chamberlain in 1882 to house Birmingham's Shakespeare collection. The room had originally been situated with the city's Central Library but outgrew its space was moved to another location in 1974. In 2011 it was taken apart, meticulously labelled and, upon completion of the library, hoisted into place and reassembled. 



I'm sure I don't need to tell you that Shakespeare was a local lad!



The view from the tenth floor. I've said it before and I'll say it again, cityscapes thrill me far more than the countryside.



Birmingham has 35 miles of canals, more than Venice.


Wandering along Broad Street we spotted something neither of us had seen before, The Black Sabbath Bridge.


Named in honour of Birmingham's legendary metal band, the bridge was unveiled in 2019 by former band members, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, who cruised onto the scene aboard a narrowboat watched by hundreds of Black Sabbath fans.



Rock Horns at the ready!






With its hoards of Xmas shoppers, festive music and the overwhelming stench of processed meat, we gave Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market (apparently the largest of its type outside of Germany) a wide berth.



After a circuit of the magnificent Victoria Square, it was time for lunch.


I'd wanted to eat at Dishoom, based on the legendary Iranian eateries found in Bombay, for years. There's one at Kings Cross which we tried many times to visit when we traded in London but it was always fully booked with queues around the block. I was thrilled to see that they'd opened a branch in Birmingham and Nikki had booked us a table as soon as we'd got back from our last meet-up in the city. 


If you've ever been to the Parsi cafes in Bombay you'll appreciate how authentic this decor is.


I love IPA (India Pale Ale) and Dishoom's own was exceptional, perfectly described as delectable with citrus notes.


The best chaat I ever had was in Delhi in 2019 but Dishoon's was equal to that dish of dreams. Described as warm-cold, sweet-tangy, moreish with golden-fried sweet potato covered with cool yoghurt, pomegranate, beetroot, radish and carrot. Tamarind drizzle and green chutney lift it nicely.


The vegetable samosas were proper, home-cooked ones with a tangy coriander mint sauce for dipping.


I'm sure I've banged on about my love for Vada Pav when I've posted my Indian travelogues. Dishoom says that it's a much loved, humble and unifying Bombay street staple. Hot potato vada, crunchy titbits and chutneys, tucked inside a soft homemade bun. Sprinkle the red spicy masala to taste.



 
Rupi, our attendant, was so excited when Nikki told her that we were celebrating my birthday that she insisted on treating me to a pudding - which, like all the dishes, we shared. I loathe ice cream so Nikki kindly took care of it, I didn't want to offend Rupi's generosity by not leaving a clean plate! 



After a wonky toilet selfie (we only had one beer each, honest!), we had another wander around and to our surprise, it started snowing and in such a pretty, swirly way we could almost have wandered onto a film set. Although it was cold, we didn't think it was that cold! Mindful of how erratic our public transport system can often be, we hurried back to New Street station before our trains home were cancelled.


Thanks for a fabulous day, Nikki! 

53 comments:

  1. What a fantastic building that library is, absolutely amazing, and the views from the top are something else. I didn't know Birmingham had Europe's biggest library or all those canals so that's two things I've learnt today! And finally that food looks delicious and what a lovely setting and how nicely the food is presented. Another lovely day out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birmingham is full of surprises - even to me! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a lovely birthday celebration day with Nikki! You both look like such a hoot (wish I was there!), and I love your choices of Things To Do. Thank you for the tour of Birmingham, and how awesome is that Black Sabbath Bridge! Big fan, over here. That is wild about the canals - I had no idea!

    Hope your birthday week has been as awesome as you, Vix! I'm glad Stephen Squirrel brought you a gift (as is proper for a Hunting Cat for his mum), even though your taste doesn't run to mice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun, the housr just flew by!
      Can you believe that Black Sabbath Bridge? It's the best bridge ever. I wish we'd been able to go to the unveiling, what a laugh that would have been!
      Stephen Squirrel is such a caring soul - I swear that rat was almost as big as he is - how he carried it in I'll never know! xxx

      Delete
  3. I visited the Library shortly after it opened (had been to see Leonard Cohen in Brum the night before.) The library is pretty impressive, the outside being a thing of beauty. I would love to go back and visit the Shakespeare room.
    The restaurant looked fantastic as did the food! Glad you enjoyed the your day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a epic weekend, Carole, Leonard Cohen followed by that spectaular library!
      Dishoom is wonderful, highly recommended if you're anywhere near a branch. xxx

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had another fab day! We have a Dishoom up here but we have another local restaurant which is so hard to beat and independent so we tend to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun, thanks VC! Sadly our nearest curry house was a victim of the pandemic although all the ones around here are Bangladeshi or Punjabi so it's a real treat to eat the food I love when I'm in India - as there's no chance of that happening any time soon! xxx

      Delete
  5. That looked like a fantastic day out...I did know about the canals in Birmingham, but not about the Library. It looks wonderful and worth a visit. Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun, Amanda! The library is well worth a visit, it'll blow your mind! xxx

      Delete
  6. That library is stunning! The city is quite interesting. I know little to nothing about Birmingham other than what I glean from the few BBC programs set there or near there might hint. I think The A Word television show was outside Birmingham? I'm drooling at your descriptions of the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it incredible? Add Birmingham to your list of places to visit when you fo your big travel adventure.
      I've not watched the A Word but I think it's set in Manchester (120 minutes away from us). TV shows filmed in Birmingham include Peaky Blinders and Hustle (a fantastic drama about a team of grifters). xxx

      Delete
  7. More birthday!!! Good on you, birthdays need to last more than one week, in my not so humble opinion. Am so going to try to make that chaat. and you've made Birmingham sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthdays need to be celebrated for at least a week - if Jesus can do it why can't the rest of us?!
      I love chaat! xxx

      Delete
  8. How lovely to spend the day with your friend! Birmingham has certainly changed since I lived there from 1984 to 85!

    Dishoon looks like a fabulous place to eat. Must persuade sister-in-law to book us a table next time I go to visit her....

    Have a great weekend
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has, I was working in the city centre then and there was still evidence of WW2 bomb damage. I get lost walking out of New Street Station these days, it's a completely different city!
      Dishoom is fabulous, really good prices, too! xxx

      Delete
  9. What a lovely day out you both had!! As Lou Reed would say, "Just a perfect day"!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black Sabbath Bridge! Of course! Thatfood is making me hungry. Thanks for sharing this beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something for everyone - rock, culture and food! xxx

      Delete
  11. What great day out and made better by having such fabulous food and good company.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds an looks like an absolut fabulous day out!!
    birmingham has some posh old architecture and i love that the old library interoir was rescued and is now a part of the new building.... which - to me - looks a bit like a stack of nice wrapped presents from the outside ;-D
    black sabbath bridge! how cool!!
    the restaurant looks wonderful and elegant and the food make me very hungry now....
    and you even got some pretty snowfall!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fabulous time, I love a bit of fancy architecture and of course, Indian food! xxx

      Delete
  13. There couldn't be a better way to spend your birthday with a good friend, a fabulous restuarantand snow! You both looked gorgeous in your outfits. The restuarant looks right up my street so I am going to see if we can get booked up for the Kings X one for next year some time. Didn't know about the Black Sabbath Bridge and that library little secret gardens to read in - wonderful! Keep enjoying your Birthday Week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! We had a lovely day out and definitely get yourslef down to Dishoom, the vegetarian choices are mindblowingly good. They even do Jon & I's favourite Bombay breakfast, Akuri Eggs! xxx

      Delete
  14. I am glad you got to meet your friend that black sabbath bridge is everything. I love canal boats I don’t know why. Yeah I would have given the Xmas market a wide birth as well. Glad you got home safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love narrowboats, too - my cousin lives on one in Scotland. I think it'd be too cold (and small) for me! xxx

      Delete
  15. What a thoroughly fun looking day Vix! I mean, what's there not to love... two laughing, fuzzy hatted ladies, Black Sabbath, an incredible library, and the most delicious looking food. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhh, so lovely day, glad to read that you enjoyed some fabulous activities, meeting a friend, visiting brick buildings, a magnificent library (that Shakespeare Room is Amazing!), channels and the Black Sabbath Bridge!, everything is totally fascinating!. And you also had some delicious food at a beautiful local!.
    These photos have put a smile on my face, and I'm loving your fabulousness wrapped in your coats and hats and looking gorgeous despite the snow!
    besos & felicidades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such fun being a tourist in my own area. I never appreciated Birmingham when I worked there, it was a bit of a dump for years and years but it's really come on in recent years, I get lost after working there for over a decade! xxx

      Delete
  17. What a great day out you've had. I loved tagging along on your Birmingham adventure. That photo of you two on the Black Sabbath bridge is such fun!
    The library looks really incredible and how amazing that they dismantled and reassembled that wood-panelled Shakespeare Room. I had no idea he was a local lad!
    Dishoom looks just perfect and the food utterly delicious. Those descriptions make me salivate. The chance of public transport disruption due to a bit of snow sounds utterly Belgian :-) Very wise to make an early start! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a laugh and timed it just right for a tourist to stop and ask if we'd like a photo of the pair of us on the Black Sabbath Bridge.
      The library is incredible, the Shakespeare Room is such a lovely contrast to the modernism of the rest of the building.
      Ha! I feel a bit better knowing that your public transport services are as fickle as our are! xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm taking your post as a sign to book my next Ryanair flight to England. I had a return ticket to Malta for this week that I didn't use because a collegue has suddently fallen ill and I had to work. Maybe I should book my next flight to UK? I will come back to read this post again on my laptop, I cannot see the details on my cellphone. The museum looks amazing, though...and the food looks yummy. I'm glad you had fun with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd happily be your guide if you make it over here, Ivana. Birmingham's the second most visited city in England, there's loads to see and do! xxx

      Delete
  19. Glad you had such a lovely day with your friend. The restaurant sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an utterly gorgeous library. The thought and planning that was obviously put into it shows even from a computer screen.
    Glad you finally made it to Dishoom and it didn't disappoint.

    We're getting our first snow tonight and everyone is losing their minds. It will likely melt by midday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an incredible looking building. Apparnetly the gardens arte planted with apple trees and fruit bushes so readers can help themselves when they're out on the terraces.
      I hope the snow isn't too heavy. It's mild and piddling down here today! xxx

      Delete
  21. I’m giggling with you both. What a fabulous day out and I definitely need to visit that library.
    It’s so good to see you out on a girly day again. Brilliant .
    Have a lovely weekend. We are off out for lunch with friends we’ve not seen for two years and on Sunday meeting a cousin of Philip’s we haven’t seen for 30 years xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the most astonishing building, I can't believe I've never been in it before. I'd love to go back when the secret gardens are in fully bloom (and a sneak in a can of G&T in my handbag!
      Have a wonderful day, both. It sounds very exciting! xxx

      Delete
  22. I've been distracted lately, but I can't believe I missed your birthday! :(
    It's great to see what you've been up to though.
    I haven't been to Dishoom yet. It's on my to-do list, and now I've seen your photos I'm definitley booking in.
    We stopped for an (overpriced) glass of gluhwein at the Frankfurt Market when I was in town last week with my daughter in law. It was only about 11.30am (!), so pretty quiet, but I wouldn't go anywhere near it later in the day.
    We also dropped in at pop up pub in the Goth favourite haunt St Philip's churchyard, The Pigeon in the Park, and got Whammed. I felt betrayed! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Being Whammed in a Goth pub made me laugh - is there no escape from this festive tune torture?!
      Get you with your wine before midday, mind you I think I'd need to bucket of wine to anaesthetise my nose from the smell of those awful sausages! xxx

      Delete
  23. Oh you lucky thing. I love Persian food and although I am not a city person I'd visit just to see that wood panelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persian food is the best, isn't it? I was so excited to find some outside Mumbai! xxx

      Delete
  24. Fabulous day out and I definitely want to eat at Dishoom, I'll let you order for both of us (although I cannot promise I would not want to like those plates clean!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blasted auto-correct - LICK the plates 🤣

      Delete
    2. Plate licking is allowed when the food's as good as it is in Dishoom! xxx

      Delete
  25. Nice to see you are enjoying your Birthday Week celebrations (Birthday Month is also a thing, just so you know). That Library is spectacular!!! The exterior embellishments, the woodwork, etc are magnificent.

    I would definitely be up for eating at Dishoom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lke the idea of Birthdayt Month - in fact,m if Jesus can milk it for two months then why shouldn't we?!
      Dishoom is wonderful, I'd eat there all day, every day! xxx

      Delete
  26. That looks like a wonderful day, and I have severe food envy now! All those Dishoom dishes look to delicious.

    How cool is that Black Sabbath bridge? They need to build a Duran Duran one next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love Dishoom, you'll have to pop back up to Brum one of these days and have a look at the Black Sabbath Bridge whilst you're at it! There's so many bands from Brum, they better get renaming a few more to keep all the fans happy! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix