Tuesday 4 May 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 3rd & 4th May, 2021


Monday was a Bank Holiday, not that it made one iota of a difference to my usual routine. I was up by 6am and, after a wander around the garden, did my Wii Fit workout, caught up with blogland and joined Jon for our weekday fruit & yoghurt breakfast. 

WEARING: Anokhi block printed cotton midi dress (Mumbai, before the world went to shit, 2020), Lotta from Stockholm clogs (eBay), vintage umbrella (car boot sale)

After a dry start, the forecast for abysmal weather proved to be correct and by 10am the high winds and deluge had taken a grip. 


With gardening off the agenda, Jon decided to clean the kitchen & utility room floors so I swept the floors and rugs upstairs and, while I did some mending, he made leek and potato soup with some of the crop we'd harvested at the weekend. We'd searched the internet for a recipe that didn't involve cream (I can't bear rich food), adapted this recipe- we had neither carrots nor celery - and the result was delicious. 

After lunch, Jon sprayed the seedlings and I repotted the Mother-in-Law's Tongue. 


 I took myself upstairs and accompanied by 6Music tidied the spare bedroom, tipping out drawers and donating some unwanted jewellery, sunglasses and bags to the Kinky Shed.


During the colder months, I hang my gloves from a wire on the wardrobe door. I optimistically packed these away and replaced them with my collection of Indian silk screen printed scarves.

With the rain lashing down, the sky iron-grey and the wind rattling the window panes, it was the perfect afternoon for snuggling and sleeping (if you're a cat) or staying indoors and researching more of Lord Jon's family tree. 

We'd often pondered on the results of the Ancestry DNA test he'd taken a few years ago, the connection with Malcolm III, King of Scotland answered the Scottish ethnicity question but what of the Scandinavian? Well, William the Conqueror's 4 x great-grandfather was Rollo Ragnvalsson (860 - 932), a Viking warrior who founded the Duchy of Normandy, making him Jon's 33 x great grandfather.

According to Scandinavian legend, Rollo, making himself independent of King Harald I of Norway, sailed off to raid ScotlandEnglandFlanders and France on pirating expeditions. Early in the 10th century, Rollo’s Danish army attacked France& he established himself in an area along the Seine. The French King, Charles "the Simple" III defeated him near Chartres and negotiated the treaty of Saint-Clair-Sur-Epte, giving Rollo the area that came to be known as Normandy; Rollo in return agreed to end his brigandage. He gave his son, William I Longsword, governance of the dukedom (927) before his death. Rollo was baptised in 912 but is said to have died a pagan. 

Apparently, Rollo is one of the central characters in the TV series The Vikings (played by Clive Standen, above) but we only have Freeview so haven't watched it although now I've seen this picture I'm wondering if we should!

More internet research led me further down Rollo's branch of the tree, all the way down to Rollo's 15x great grandfather. Feel free to use this info if you're also an ancestor of William the Bastard Conqueror, I know there's a few of you out there!

  • Ragnvald Eysteinsson, Earl of Møre, born in Norway in 825AD
  • Eystein "the Noisy" Ivarsson, King of Oppland in Norway during the 9th century
  • Ivar Halfdansson, King of Oppland
  • Haldan "the Aged" Sveidasson, King of Oppland
  • Sveidi Svidrasson Haytirsson, Sea King b.650AD, Telemark, Norway
  • Haytir Gorrsson, Sea King b.514
  • Gor Thorrasson, Sea King, born in Finland
  • Thorri Snærsson Snaero, King of Finland
  • Snø Frosteson, King of Finland 
  • Frosti "Jøkull" Karasson, King of Finland 
  • Kari Fornjotsson, King of Finland 
  • Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Finland (160 - 250AD)


King Frosti or Jøkull Frosti (translated as icicle frost) is believed to be who Jack Frost, the mythological figure originating from Viking folklore, is based. Ironic considering how much Jon hates the cold!

Tea was quiche with salad and a Greek-style feta and spinach parcel. Later we watched Waking the Dead before I retired to bed early with my book.


On Tuesday morning I did my Wii Fit workout and moved a few houseplants into the lounge. It was still atrocious outside but I had to brave it to dash to the Kinky Shed and retrieve the stock I'd sold on eBay over the weekend. I was momentarily distracted from wrapped my parcels by a visit from another of the cats from the colony up the road. As you can see, he's well looked after, but I'd be more than happy to give him a home if he insisted upon it.

After breakfast, Jon did the Post office drop off, the supermarket run and picked up Stephen's prescription from the vet. Meanwhile, I caught up with Blogland and made some hummus using peanut butter as opposed to tahini and replacing the lemon with a lime 'cos that's all we had.

I'm sure you've noticed that Jon does all the food shopping and most of the cooking. By trade, I'm a classically trained chef and my natural aptitude for organisation and being bossy led to a high-flying career in corporate hospitality management back in the day. I was a high wage-earner, spoke at seminars and was often featured in trade magazines &  hated every minute. 


It was a strange day, bitterly cold with torrential rain one minute and gloriously sunny the next. The lads got caught out a few times, basking in the sunshine only to return home like drowned rats moments later and I didn't fare much better after posing for this photo, you could have wrung me out when I got back inside!

WEARING: Vintage Anokhi embroidered cotton skirt (eBay), bodysuit (£3, TopShop sale), 1960s-does-Edwardian lace-up boots (car boot sale,2010), 1970s Sheffield stainless steel choker (fellow trader friend), turquoise earrings made by Afghan refugees (eBay)

After sanitising the shopping & putting it away it was time for noodles, the rest of the leek & potato soup could wait another day. I repotted a couple of my spider plants and had a wander outside to check on the garden.


 The French marigolds were out...

As were my Unicom tulips. I love their stripy leaves.


I can't believe all these plants, grown from just a handful of the seed pods we collected last year's Empress of India nasturtium.


Despite the battering they've received over the last couple of days these amazing Black Parrot tulips are still standing tall.


After opening the post, which contained some excellent news, I decided to take a closer look at the family tree I'd inherited as a child and compare my research with my great-aunt Phyllis's. Written in pencil next to Harriet, my 4x great grandmother's name, was the word "miniature" which I'd never noticed before. This must refer to this sweet little painting that was one of many on the wall of Phyllis's office when we cleared her house after her death.


 Harriet Cook (1780 - 1846) married Andrew Chapman in Stoke on Trent and had none children, of whom 3 died in infancy. Phyllis had written of Trentham, formerly of Montrose in pencil next to his name. A bit of research on Ancestry.com led me to discover that he was born in Montrose, Angus in Scotland in 1776 and, according to the information on his marriage certificate issued in 1806, he was employed as a gardener at the Trentham Estate in Staffordshire, whose 300 acres of celebrated gardens were designed by Lancelot Capability Brown in 1758 and remain a popular UK tourist destination to this day (HERE). 

Trentham Hall circa 1820

Andrew Chapman is still listed as a gardener in the 1818 edition of the Parson and Bradshaw trade directory, which made me wonder what life was like for a gardener in Georgian England. In Darton & Harvey's Little Jack of All Trades, published in 1814, a gardener appears alongside other practical tradespeople such as the carpenter, blacksmith, cabinet maker and hatter, a respectable & skilled trade. Interestingly, a couple of centuries ahead of his time, William Darton makes the connection between gardening and well-being, writing that ‘Working in a garden is a delightful and healthy occupation; it strengthens the body, enlivens the spirits, and infuses into the mind a pleasing tranquillity, and sensations of happy independence.’

The Georgian gardener


 In the 1841 census, aged 65, Andrew is listed as a "gentleman of independent means" meaning that he must have been quite successful. He died in 1844 at the age of 68. 


How about that? Not only did some of my ancestors sell their estate to the man who went on to create the celebrated Biddulph Grange Gardens, but others also owned the world-famous, Lost Gardens of Heligan and another was employed as a gardener at another horticultural tourist attraction and retired a wealthy man. No wonder I hated catering, my DNA clearly suggests that I was born to be a gardener!


After all that research, it was time for roast halloumi and vegetables and a glass of wine! Later we'll be watching ...you guessed it, Waking the Dead. 

See you soon!

57 comments:

  1. Hurray for negative breast cancer screenings, dear Vix. I'm rejoicing along with you. And oh, I could have soup every meal, every day, no matter the weather. Yours looks delicious!! And that picture of Clive Standen!! *swoon* I love... ummm... his hair cut. :-D :-D :-D ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Andrea! It's always a relief when that letter pops through the postbox! xxx

      Delete
  2. I do so enjoy your diaries Viv; wish I was young again. I do miss gardening. Having had irrigation put in - yes we don’t get much rain even in winter - and having a gardener just doesn’t do it for me. I have been having quite a bit of leek and potato soup lately. Currently my favourite. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sally! Jon rigged up an irrigation system last year which saved me loads of time as my collection of pots were getting out of control. It took him ages but it did the trick. xxx

      Delete
  3. I made leek and potato soup last week too [without cream] and it's going to feature again soon. This week it was pea and horseradish. Another hit....I thought that I might be eating lighter food by now, but it's not yet warm enough. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lking the sound of pea and horseradish, I shall investigate that! x

      Delete
  4. I love that adorable vintage umbrella and you look perfect beneath it. The leek and potato soup looks delicious and so perfect in that kind of weather. The garden is coming along beautifully Vix. I really do think you were meant to be tending a garden. Seems you sure have some green thumbs. Congrats on the great news back from your screening! I'm still just amazed at the things you are discovering in yours and John's ancestry. Enjoy the rest of the week Vix. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of a sucker for a vintage umbrella. If you've got to go out in the rain you might as well have something attractive to shelter beneath. xxx

      Delete
  5. I think your DNA suggests that you were born to be the boss of your own life - choosing happiness, you're so good at it! You look wonderful in your genuine ethnic dress and embroidered skirt, and I am in love with your tulips, I've never seen striped leaves on tulips before, and Black Parrot is fantastic. It's totally amazing how much you keep finding out about your and Jon's ancestry. I've also received my DNA test recently, but I wouldn't know where to begin to learn about it since Russia's history is so covered with secrets... I too am potting, repotting, planting etx these days - soooo good for the sol! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boss of your own life, I love that! You're quite right Natalia, it's all to easy to be pushed into the wrong direction by well-meaning people trying to help. Much better to make a few wrong turns on the way and eventually find the right path.
      I loved those striped leaves, they're pretty to look at for weeks before the tulip emmerges. You'll have to track some bulbs down for the Autumn. xxx

      Delete
  6. I do envy your list for life - however, I do like a creamy leek and potato soup! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people like a creamy soup as there's so many recipes for them. I'm a cream-hating freak! xxx

      Delete
  7. Edit - lust, not list for life 😆Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I read it as lust at 6am this morning!!

      Delete
  8. I'm making chicken and rice soup for dinner as we speak! L can't have cream so I often substitute coconut milk (I buy the light variety). Ah, that changeable spring weather - poor you and the lads, getting caught in a shower! Love seeing all your flowers - those parrot tulips are stunning - and reading all your family history is so fun! Have a good week, Vix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a curry made with coconut milk (the light one), it's perfect with red hot chillies.
      Spring is such a schizophrenic season, bikinis one minute, coats the next. xxx

      Delete
  9. Go on watch Vikings! The first couple of seasons are best and we always got a surprise at recognizing actors that we didn't expect to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon's friend Tony said the same, the first couple of series are the best. I wonder if it will aver get to mainstream TV? xxx

      Delete
    2. I've got the first series of it on DVD that somebody gave me. Afraid I hated it so only watched the first episode. If you want it ping me a message and I'll happily send it up to you. Arilx

      Delete
  10. I love the Vikings we get it on Netflix here!! Jack has a lot of Viking tattoos must have his dads blood!! The weather is trying to get better here. I love the old Vikings movie with kurt Russell’s dad in it you should watch it a peice of history.
    It’s funny when I left school I first trained as a chef mainly to date boys and then changed to nursing and then to vintage fashion where I have been ever since.
    I love baking and making bread and quiches and cakes with my hands and going freestyle but I am not into major recipes. I love being outside with the kids and nearly trained to be a nanny but I couldn’t stand kids screaming for attention my own yes but others no! But it is so interesting the were your career path leads you in the end.
    Take care and keep safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen any Viking stuff other than the Danish film Valhalla Rising which is absolutely amazing - dark, atmospheric and Mads Mikkelsen - what more can you wish for?!
      Catering college was a strange experience after seven years at an all-girls school. I hung out with the lecturers as, even as a teenager, teens bored me! I still laugh at getting a distinction in my City & Guilds Patisserie & Confectionary (7020), I've always hated cakes & sweet stuff!
      Loads of love to you & Paul, Allie! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the connection with Jon and the original Jack Frost! Think your dna definitely puts you as a gardener. Your hair is looking in fabulous condition :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancestry - the gift that keeps on giving. Who knew I'd be researching the life of a Georgian gardener at the beginning of the week!
      I was very brave and let the hairdresser cut loads of hair off, it feels much better! xxx

      Delete
  12. A Classically Trained Chef, why now that explains why all your Meals look so Delightful and are a Feast for the Eyes. My Dad, who was a Master Chef, always said people eat with their Eyes first, I was so spoiled growing up and enjoying his Culinary Jedi Talents. Alas, it wasn't hereditary and I Suck at Cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all down to Jon, dawn - I hardly ever cook! I've trained him well! xxx

      Delete
  13. that jon has a good dose of viking blood i can see without a genetic test :-D
    just yesterday i watched a docu about the scandi invasion after the romans left england and the kingdoms errected from the vikings...... the vikings were much more then brutal pirates - i.e. they foundet the kievan rus too, the start of a russian nation (which do patriotic russians deny - of cause). sorry - northern european history is a bit of a hobby :-D
    as for your gardener ancestors - work can not be more meditative - the total opposite from the job you did earlier in life. don´t you wish sometimes that you have known such things earlier in life? i do.
    sorry that you got wet while showing us the lovely black outfit!! but better then breaking the sweet vintage umbrella you wear with the beautiful anokhi dress......
    the storm arrived here yesterday afternoon - but as a tiger without teeth thankfully......
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's often mistaken for a Scandi when we're travelling!
      I didn't know about the Vikings founding the Russian nation but I've seen some fascinating documentaries about their time in Britain and some of the wonderful artifacts they left behind. I shall have to investigate more, we were taught some European history at school but it was mostly political rather than social.
      Gardening is so very meditive, I can completely switch off and take so much pleasure in mundane tasks like watering or weeding, I love it!
      A tiger without teeth, the best sort! We've apparently got a day of dreadful weather forecast for tomorrow but it's been gorgeous today so I can deal with that! xxx

      Delete
  14. Coincidence! My great grandfather Daniel Lowe 1833-1911 worked on the gardens at Trentham. Most of my ancestors from Staffordshire seem to have been farmers or gardeners and most lived to grand old age. Love excerpt about The Gardener. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Michelle! Goodness me, that's absolutely fantastic that Daniel worked at Trentham, he'd have taken over from Andrew and continued the good work. Isn't the world a small place? xxx

      Delete
  15. Researching both your family histories is turning up some amazing connections and a great thing to turn to when outside activities are held up by bad weather. Thank goodness the sun has got his hat on again this morning. We will be out putting everything back in place. The garden looks like a hurricane went through it.
    I can’t imagine you now doing the corporate thing Vix. Gawd wouldn’t it be horrendous having to work for other people again. From speaking to people I know not many folk are happy in their jobs. Over the past year we’ve both realised how bad things had got and are so glad we are out of it now.
    Fingers crossed for a bit of decent weather for the rest of the week. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to have wet weather pursuits, it stops me sulking if I can't get out and play in the garden. I'm so excited about what I'm uncovering, every day brings more surprises!
      I was persuaded into a career I didn't want and felt ungrateful for hating it as I was regarded as a role model for young women at the time. I don't think I could work for anyone else these days either. xxx

      Delete
  16. My huge Mother-in-Laws Tongue definintely needs repotting but it's so tall I keep putting it off, |I think it's almost time I bit the bullet. If you go much further back with tracing your ancestry you'll be meeting up with Adam and Eve :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on, get that plant repotted! I always put off doing mine but love ticking it off the list when I finally get round to it.
      Adam and Eve! I wouldn't mind a Roman Emperor or a Greek God! xxx

      Delete
  17. Sorry for the rainy days, but you're looking fab under your vintage umbrella and also wearing the gorgeous black dress. I've noticed that I'm wearing more black color these days, whatever the reason.
    And I'm enjoying so much your genealogy research, lovely to know that some of your ancestors were related to favourite gardens (it makes visiting them more interesting!). And William's ancestors look like mithological kings, so fabulous!. I haven't met anybody whose genealogy can go back so far! and I was trained as a medieval history specialist (still enjoy some research and essays reading but I ran away from that oppressive closed minded atmosphere decades ago and never looked back!, so happy to earn my living by myself and never depend on influences and bosses' willingness. Now I work for others but don't depend on them). Nathalia's comment nailed it, you're the boss of your own life!.
    Totally understand that you're reconsidering watching The Vikings! I'm doing (even if never been a huge fan of this stuff).
    And I love your idea of making hummus using some peanut butter (I've used ground almonds when had no tahini on hand!). I believe that most récipes can be revamped on the way!
    Lovely post!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how far it's possible to trace a family tree. I feel sad that it took my great aunt most of her lifetime to get back to the 17th century and I'm looking at 160AD - isn't the internet a marvelous thing?
      A medieval hisrtoy specialist? that's fascinating but I can understand why you ran away from academia, I've met a few poeple who work in that field and they're often detached from reality and rather blinkered. Much better to dip into your love of history at your leisure. xxx

      Delete
  18. For a closer look at the Vikings' bling, watch the YT documentary series presented by Waldemar Januszczak. Saw a splendid exhibition of Viking artifacts in Cincinnati a few years ago, and he was cited as a man who "saw" them more as 'Hagar the Householder' than 'Hagar the Horrible'.
    Perhaps our genes do contain traits/talents that encourage us to follow occupations. I'm from a clan of builders and plumbers who went in for grist mills on several continents, and I've watched a 4-year-old relative building a waterway in a sandy beach, all on her own. Bless the child, she was trying to invent a spillway system to regulate the levels in a reservoir and dyke.
    The times, they have changed for women who want to be their own bosses. Decades ago it took a fuss for me to get an apprentice permit to carry pipes at my own homesite. My little cousin may choose to get her journeyman's license, even own the company! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the recommendation, Beth! I love Waldemar Januszczak, he writes for The Guardian so he's my kind of historian.
      There's definitely something in our genes that attract us to certain interests and careers. I'm incredulous over the four year old relative though, that's just brilliant! xxx

      Delete
  19. Happy rainy (here) Wed. afternoon Vix, you look great in the block printed maxi and so youn! in the next day's outfit with your plaits. Been reading some comments and you certainly are boss of your own life. My eldest is a fantatic cook and nearly went to catering college but wanted to work with hubster and is happy unfortunately he doen't cook much now. Funny how things turn out. Now I am jealous of ALL those nasturtiam plants! ow. The tulips are magnificent. Reading all the links to famous gardens in your family tree no wonder you are so successful with your garden (but I dare to suggest you are good at everything you put your mind to). I reckoned all your selling on ebay may have depleted the Kinky Shed but you will enjoy finding more stock in the chazzas. Fascinating reading again today witht he Lord Jon's tree and yours.The teas look great as usual and leek and potato soup one of my favourites you lucky girl Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy dry and sunny Friday, Shaz! Hope you're feeling much better and that your love of life and positive outlook is hepling you through.
      What a shame your eldest doesn't cook any more, mind you, most chefs I've ever known lived on takeaways and convenience foods as they can't face proper cooking when they aren't at work (me included!)
      We shall have to be brave and start going on charity shopping expeditions like we used to to get the Kinky Shed topped up, it'll be very strange aftre only visiting the same shop for the last year! xxxx

      Delete
  20. Your vintage umbrella is gorgeous and well worth having a rainy day for, but I guess you could have done without the stormy weather. We were a day behind you and had that weather yesterday. Jon's leek and potato soup looks delicious, and same as at Stonecroft, it's the man of the house here who does most of the cooking!
    Your collection of Indian silk screen printed scarves is a sight for sore eyes. I'm loving both of your outfits, which a slight preference for Tuesday's.
    Lovely to see your pots of Nasturtiums grown from last year's seed pods. I am happy to say that mine are finally showing signs of life.
    Your ancestry explorations were once again an exciting read, and I'm happy to read that gardening is in your DNA. My great grandfather was a gardener, so it's definitely in mine as well. My paternal grandfather, on the other hand, was very knowledgeable about plants, which I think must have rubbed off on me as well, as I'm definitely a plantoholic! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a lovely brolly? It makes a rainly day a bit more bearable!
      It's been a very frustrating week weather-wise, it's been dry all day today and we've got loads done but tomorrow is sounding awful.
      Yay to a man who knows his way around the kitchen! We've got a pair of good 'uns, haven't we?
      I can't believe how many nasturtiums we've got, they're even sprouting up in the borders and the greenhouse, it's madness!
      My Grandma and Grandpa were mad about gardening, too. My Mum wasn't into it at all! xxx

      Delete
  21. I absolutely love reading your blog, and seeing your fantastic outfits. Your joi de Vivre for life is really inspirational, don't ever stop I love you!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Your lovely comment put a huge smile on my face, thank you. xxx

      Delete
  22. Rollo is Jon's 33th grandfather? Jon's family tree just gets more and more interesting. I haven't watched the Vikings series. I sometimes regret not watching TV. I think Vikings actually aired here but I haven't seen it. However, I did read about the series on fandom pages after noticing that there are a lot of Viking fan videos on YouTube.

    I love your Anokhi midi dress paired with Lottas. You look lovely posing with that vintage umbrella in your garden. So great you harvested some of your veggies and cooked them. My husband is starting to cook more and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon's family tree is endlessly fascinating, I never know what I'll uncover next!
      Loads of people say how much they love The Vikings although one of our friends think we'll hate it as it's "very Hollywood", if it ever gets aired on normal TV I shall dive it a go just for Rollo!
      That's good that your husband is doing a lot of the cooking, I think a lot of men enjoy it but aren't given the chance to. xxx

      Delete
  23. I'm always interested in a dairy free recipe as I'm cooking for the lactose intolerant here.
    That's a lot of nasturtiums-can't wait to see how they look in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like that Jamie Oliver recipe, we did! x

      Delete
  24. Ah yes rainy days can be perfect for cleaning. And your home and garden are lovely so unique and super cozy too. Bravo!!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. One of my friends really like the Vickings.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm completely sick of the weather. I welcome the rain, the garden needs it but it's so cold for May. I noticed you were bare legged in one photo and I salute you! I'm still in my woolly tights and warm cardis. I should live in warmer climes I reckon.
    If you had Netflix, I'd recommend my favourite ever series, The Last Kingdom. It was so good I loved it, it's got plenty of Vikings in it!
    Just been out to vote clutching my own pen and wearing a mask, the excitement!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, this endless chill and the need for a coat is so draining. Maybe it's the trade-off and we'll have a fabulous Summer instead, I do hope so.
      Sheila mentioned The Last Kingdom, too. What a shame we haven't got Netflix.
      We do a postal vote so we missed on the excitement of voting with your own pen! xxx

      Delete
  27. Rollo, woooh.... I think I need to take a closer look at those tattoos.
    Corr blimey, your nearly back to BC !!!
    Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm suddenly very interested in Vikings having seen that photo! xxx

      Delete
  28. I'm so behind with my blog reading despite a catch up session on Monday!

    Clearly you have gardening DNA rather than catering. Remember, I said when you first started to go mad in your garden that you'd have a new career selling plants and veg from the abundance in your garden! Have you ever visited Trentham Estate? If not you now have an excellent reason to do so!

    Love the Viking connections and I loved the Anokhi embroidered skirt, too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way behind with blogs after being on top of them for a week! Argggh!
      I've never visited Trentham despite it being up the road, so many places to visit since i started on the Ancestry voyage of discovery! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix