Friday 30 April 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 29th & 30th April, 2021

After my Wii Fit workout on Thursday morning, I mopped the kitchen floor and swept the downstairs rugs. One of the festivals we regularly trade is planning to go ahead in September so I paid the, thankfully, refundable deposit and joined Jon in the kitchen for breakfast.

With rain forecast for later, we cracked on with our tasks in the garden. I potted on my dahlias while Jon continued in his quest to remove the enormous holly tree. Our friend Kev popped round with some vintage incinerator tiles someone had dumped in his neighbourhood, he'd brought one round the other day and Jon knew he'd be able to make use of them.

By lunchtime Jon had felled the tree and, after our noodles, he cut it down into smaller pieces and I shredded them. 


With the rain we've had this week, the garden is really starting the wake-up and it's all very exciting although, typical of a British Spring, we had to down tools and rush indoors to shelter from a sudden sleet shower. 


Richard the postman had called earlier with a package containing some plugs of Mind Your Own Business (Soleirolia soleirolii) Jon had bought from eBay - always a brilliant source of plants and seeds. Some people consider it a weed but, if it's good enough for Monty Don then it's good enough for us. When the sun made a fleeting appearance we squeezed it in cracks and crevices around the pond and rockery, hoping that in a few months time we'll have a carpet of green.


Back indoors I did more genealogy research before tea - pizza, sweet potato wedges & a large glass of vino. Later we settled down to another evening of Waking the Dead.


I was awake at 5.30am on Friday. Before I did my Wii Fit workout I'd already deep conditioned my hair, booked next week's National Trust adventure, done a load of washing, bought something amazing on eBay and caught up with Blogland. By the time Jon was up, I'd washed my hair and repotted a plant. I love productive mornings like these!

Stephen was due his thyroid check-up so he and Jon went to the vets whilst I wrapped my eBay sales ready for the Post office run and chatted to Richard who'd delivered my &keep order - a replacement for my usual Lush deodorant (which I've used before and love), dental floss refills, my regular facial soap as I'd opened the last one and some bamboo plasters to try.

Jon came back with the news that Stephen's blood pressure was slightly raised, apparently a common side-effect from his medication, so he's on more tablets for a fortnight -  hooray for pet insurance! It's also a  good job Jon's a cat whisperer and can administer pills like a pro. 

With appalling weather forecast for the bank holiday weekend, we needed to get as many jobs outside done as we could. Some Nepeta we'd been rooting on the windowsill was potted up, radishes & rocket moved to the raised bed and a tree I'd found growing in the patio bed eased out with the roots intact and stuck in a pot until we'd determined what it is. 


 Any ideas, gardening fans?


I dug up this Victorian terracotta roof tile the other day, it's perfect under my rosemary.


After our noodles, Jon did the post office drop-off & supermarket run whilst I went through our seed stash and planted parsley, chervil, caraway and anise. 




Vintage Dollyrockers printed cotton maxi worn with Indian block printed quilted waistcoat (Xmas present from Liz & Al) and Lotta from Stockholm highwood aubergine clogs (eBay)

Sue had commented on how much she liked a paisley print, which I do, too. I was reminded of this 1960s  maxi dress friends Lynn & Philip had found for me on their travels which I dug out from the depths of the wardrobe and wore today.

Anyway, time to share more of Lord Jon's family tree. If my recent discoveries weren't exciting enough it turns out that his 29 x great-grandfather on his Dad's side (the same branch of the tree as Blessed Adrian) only happened to be William the Conqueror!

William the Conqueror (King William I) C. 1028 – 9 September 1087

Also known as William the Bastard, William was born in 1028, the illegitimate son of Robert, Duke of Normandy but, when his father died in 1035, William inherited the title. In 1064 Harold Godwineson was shipwrecked off the coast of Normandy, he was rescued by William and offered to support his claim to the throne of England however when the monarch, Edward the Confessor died in 1066, Harold declared the throne for himself. Outraged, William gathered his Norman army and set sail for England, facing Harold's Saxon army at the Battle of Hastings on 14th October, 1066. The fighting lasted all day but towards the end and, as legend has it, Harold took an arrow in the eye and William won. He then marched to London to crush English resistance which was gathering around Edgar Atheling, grandson of Edmund II and the Saxon heir to the English throne. William mounted a campaign of devastation eventually forcing Edgar to surrender and for William to be crowned King of England on 25th December, 1066.

Henry I, King of England C. 1068 – 1 December 1135

William died from wounds received in the Battle of Nantes on 9th September, 1087 and was succeeded to the throne by his third son, William II. Following his death thirteen years later, Jon's 28 x great-grandfather, Henry Beauclerc, William's youngest son, was crowned King Henry I and ruled from 1100 until his death in 1135.


Malcolm III of Scotland (c. 26 March 1031 – 13 November 1093)


Of course, two kings in the family weren't enough for Lord Jon, there's a third! Henry I's first wife, Matilda (1080-1118) was the daughter of Malcolm III, who was King of Scotland from 1058 -1093. Malcolm's father, Duncan, was the king killed by Macbeth, immortalised by Shakespeare

Saint Margaret of Scotland c. 1045 – 16 November 1093

 Malcolm's second wife, the mother of Mathilda, was Saint Margaret of Scotland and yes, there's another saint in the family! Born in the Kingdom of Hungary to the expatriate English prince Edward the Exile, Margaret and her family returned to England in 1057. Following the death of King Harold at the Battle of Hastings, along with her brother Edgar Ætheling, she and her family fled north where she married Malcolm towards the end of 1070.

Saint Margaret at Queensferry, William Fergusson Hole RSA (1846 – 1917)


Margaret was a very pious Christian, and among many charitable works, she established a ferry across the Firth of Forth for pilgrims travelling to St Andrews in Fife, giving the towns of South Queensferry and North Queensferry their names. In 1250, she was canonised by Pope Innocent IV and her remains were reinterred in a shrine in Dunfermline Abbey in Fife. Her relics were dispersed after the Scottish Reformation and subsequently lost. Mary, Queen of Scots, at one time owned her head, which was subsequently preserved by Jesuits but lost during the French Revolution
You'd think three kings and three saints would be enough for anyone but I've managed to go back another eight centuries! More to follow - if you can bear the suspense.

Tea was posh pasta with broccoli and mushrooms in Jon's homemade tomato sauce topped with lashings of cheese. There will be more Waking the Dead later and, of course, our Friday highlight, rum and Gardeners' World.

Chin Chin!

56 comments:

  1. William the Bastard!!! Blesseds, bastards and saints....It just gets better and better Vix. You should get a job as master researcher on Who Do You Think You Are ;)

    I think the mystery tree may possibly be a young ash (?). I love mind your business. I see it growing in walls and crevices down here. Apparently given free reign, it likes to party though. What a massive amount of space you and Jon have cleared in your garden! You both deserve some feet up and rum time after all that. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wiliam the Bastrad more than I do William the Conqueror, he sounds like a character off The Young ones! xxx

      Delete
  2. Love the word lashings! Paisley prints are both fun, and comforting. I am in a glow from the knowledge the squirrels so far left my hostas alone amd they're coming up. Your flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like lashings of flowers and howm grown veg in the garden this year!
      So pleased you've got the better of that pesky squirrel and the hostas have survived. We had to chase off a magpie last night, intent on uprooting our radishes! x

      Delete
  3. Yay! The Scottish Connection appears! Next time I go to Edinburgh Castle and visit St. Margaret's Chapel, I shall think of M'Lud!Your little rogue tree looks like an Elder but don't quote me on that. Goes without saying your Paisley skirt is fantastic (and of course, another nod to north of the border!).Can't wait until Sunday's Line of Duty. Got my second jab today so hopefully, there'll be no side effects to spoil my viewing pleasure! Have a great weekend everyone.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're all jabbed up, how exciting!
      Fancy there being a St Margaret's Chapel in Edinburgh Castle. I think we're going to have to observe all these ancestor's saint's days and toast their sacrifice - not that we're religious but any excuse for a drink.
      Line of Duty! Does this mean it's the end? xxx

      Delete
  4. Vix, your garden work is so impressive!

    - Nice to have a friend who’ll load and unload those tiles

    xx Cozy Cottage in California

    - All your flower photos make me happy

    - Love the term “posh pizza”

    - Speaking of posh - Jon’s ancestry is fascinating

    - Great Rosemary roof tile

    - Wonderful paisley maxi!

    - I’m jealous of your appalling weather forecast because we’re in a drought

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Lovely to hear from you! I'd willingly share some of our rain, we're forecast a thorough drenching today although all seems calm at the moment! xxx

      Delete
  5. The family history just gets more eye popping!
    We've had no rain yet, the ground is cracking and we really need it.
    The thought of a festival going ahead sounds so positive. I went for an eye test this week and found myself talking animatedly to everyone, I think I'm in need of social interaction!
    I think your mini tree's leave look like ash, could be elder but looks more like ash.
    Cheers to a great Friday night! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT's amazing what magic a night of rain brings. I was expecting to wake up to a deluge this morning but all is calm at the moment.
      You're the same as me, I'm so excited to speak to someone new that I can't shut up! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi Vix, I am finding all this ancestry stuff fascinating? I am recalling that Frank Gardner was also a direct descendant of William, as reveled on a Who do you think you are?
    Your plants are looking so well and lush. Love the tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole! You're right, I do remember Frank Gardener's Who Do You Think You Are? I reminded Jon and he's very pleased to have him as a distant relative!
      I shall definitely plant some more tulips in the Autumn, good old Wilko! xxx

      Delete
  7. More fun history of Jon's royal family! Have you watched The Last Kingdom? All your research going back further (than this installation) has reminded me of that show. It's a BBC show, airing on Netflix in Canada. Much historical fun stuff, plus many handsome Danes, lol.

    Love your beautiful paisley dress, Vix. Happy to hear that Sir Stephen is well - and good to see Frank supervising too. What's going to go where the holly tree was? Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never watched The Last Kingdom but I think we should do now! thanks for that, Sheila.
      I remember seeing the trailers and it did look rather attractive!
      Jon's going to demolish all the other sheds (except the Kinky one) and build a replacement - it'll take all summer! xxx

      Delete
  8. I love all the ancestry stuff it's amazing - William the Bastard - you couldn't call someone that now could you !!! it's brilliant, all of it :) Love your Dollyrockers dress I like paisley patterns too. Garden is really getting into shape. great news that you are booking for a September festival - we have to keep our hopes up (we booked to visit Bulgaria in September) Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at William the Bastard, what a name for a king!
      Paisley prints are lovely, I much prefer swirly prints to linear checks. It must be the hippy in me.
      I'm hoping September will be a return to normality (we're hoping to be taking a flight then, too!) xxx

      Delete
  9. Hello my friend!

    I’m writing from Key West, where it’s over 80F!!

    Is the black belt with red ties attached to the Dollyrockers maxi? I find it very intriguing.

    I just got a book that you read, Looking Good Dead... can’t wait to read and report!

    Looking lovely, as always! Xo xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Mia! 80°F, I'm green with envy. Send some of that heat ovet the the frigid UK, will you?
      The corset-style belt is part of the Dollyrockers dress. I do love their quirky designs.
      Let me know how you found Looking Good Dead, I couldn't put it down. xxx

      Delete
  10. William the conqueror is my husband's 29x grandfather, on his Mother's side. Crazy world

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, your garden really is waking up and I'm getting more excited by the day with all the work you've done out there. I love the paisley print outfit, it's beautiful and fun. The ancestry research gets more fascinating by the day! Have a great weekend Vix. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is exciting to walk aound the garden every morning and see what changes have occured overnight. We're so lucky to have outdoor space! xxx

      Delete
  12. It looks like an ash from my side of the computer. Good thing you got it out of the bed because the established roots are almost impossible to dig out. Our neighbours have a beast that they keep chopping back because no one has the heart to apply herbicide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking more and more like it's an ash, I wonder where that came from, all the trees in the avenue are London Planes. I've just been reading about how it's revered in Norse mythology, something very relevant to the next bit of Jon's family tree.xxx

      Delete
  13. I knew you jon had royal blood in him!! even if it is evil royal blood haha. Paul is related to Vikings which made me laugh. Love the paisley dress. The most glamorous thing I own is a monki dress covered in naked women!!
    We had a Holly bush but Paul soon removed it as he kept catching himself on it. He doesn’t do anything covered in spikes or thorns he is such a baby!!
    He won’t even go anywhere near my cacti he runs a mile. I can’t wait see have a garden tour . You should get a nice big wooden work shed just for you! Like I see in the magazines and drool over. A shabby chic one of course!! Take care sending love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He acts like a he's the king, sometimes!!
      Wait till I reveal more of his family tree, he and Paul are probably related especially when you mention his hatred of spiky shrubs, Jon's such a baby with them although that holly was a bit rubbish, it hardly had any spikes.
      I like the sound of that Monki dress.
      That's the plan - a massive shed in the space he's cleared. He can get rid of the four other sheds and have all his stuff in one place (and still won't be able to find anything!) xxx

      Delete
  14. do you have to curtsy to Jon and call him Milord? LOL! Geneology is very fascinating. I love history. your garden is giving me inspiration. so many lovely
    spring flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, it's gone to his head all these kings and saints in the family! xxx

      Delete
  15. Jon and Philip are so alike, both doers and resourceful. I’m impressed you’ve got a shredder, I wouldn’t mind a go with one of them and I’m pretty sure Gordon who has the paddock in front of us would love it at the minute. He’s cutting all the bastard trees down in front of our house. A massive hooray and cry of relief, last time we had them cut back it cost £400.
    Are you excited about getting your first festival booked or a bit apprehensive. It’s a tricky one isn’t it.
    We were in Cartmel when we found the dress. I remember the minute we saw it and thought of you straight away.
    Thanks for the tip off about the Mind Your Own Business plant, I’m going to speak to the Plant Dude on Wednesday and see if he’ll bring some when he brings the compost.
    Have a lovely weekend you two. It seems odd folk saying it’s bank holiday, it doesn’t seem to mean anything now haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, aren't they? they can see use and purpose in the strangest of things!
      Our shredder is brilliant, I love reducing a huge pile of branches to sweet-smelling mulch, it's so rewarding and one of those mindless tasks that really relaxes the brain!
      Yu know it's spring whan that fabulous Dollyrockers dress makes an appearance.
      Mind Your Own Business will be perfect for that cleared space. I caught up with the gardening revolution programme last night and like the idea of thyme as ground cover, too.
      You're right, bank holidays are meaningless these days. In the olden days it would have meant a car boot sale and traffic jams! xxx

      Delete
  16. As Vix explores his most illustrious family tree --- meanwhile in the garden, Jon whacks away at a holly and dodges sleet. Methinks there are sturdy yeoman roots 'neath that native soil.

    Your paisley dress with waistcoat ensemble features some of my favorite design elements: a black or dark blue background spiked with orange and scarlet foliage. And again, I admit my envy of your busy hands still bearing beautiful enamel. *sigh* At least my surgical gloves (bought by the box) are now a pretty shade of brilliant blue.

    I suspect that sapling is what we call a "trash ash", not regarded as weedy as ailanthus but prone to grow in alleyways and abandoned back lots. Replant it wherever you want shade in a hurry. Note: if it is an ash, beware of blue/green ash borers. Folks hereabouts have had to pay $$$ to have dead ash removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be it, his yeoman ancestors must have passed their working the land skills on to Jon!
      I love a splash of blue with brown - or most colours with brown, it's such an underrated colour.
      I think the majority verdict is leaning towards ash, Jon's trying to find an app on his phone to find teh solution. xxx

      Delete
  17. You and Jon seem to really have gotten to work in your garden. It looks great and I'm sure it will look marvellous once we get more sunshine. It is good that Stephen is on medication and that a vet can check on him regularly. I hope his high blood pressure will be put under control. He's such a special cat.
    Jon's family tree just gets more interesting....William the conquer and Margaret the saint. Oh my! Interesting to learn about Margaret as well, I wasn't familiar with her. I also didn't know that Mary Queen of Scots had saint Margaret's head at some point but lost it...and her own as well. I always thought Mary Queen of Scots was a fascinating figure but I still haven't gotten around to watching that new film about her.
    Your parsley maxi fits you like the glove. I love this look!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're anxiously awaiting heat, sunshine and the end of the cold nights, there's so mnay seedlings scattered around the house it's like living in a greenhouse.
      Stephen is a real personality. He got back from the vets and collapsed on the kicthen floor like he'd been shot, Jon accused him of being a drama queen!
      Taking of queens, I too am fascinated by mary, Queen of Scots, she seemed such a tragic figure. xxx

      Delete
  18. Awwww... little Stephen. I will pray for my little furry hypertensive kindred spirit, as I suffer too. We must stick together! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen thanks you for your good wishes, Andrea and sends the same back! xxx

      Delete
  19. All the planting looks good and that roof tile is lovely. Lets hope we get the promised sunshine tomorrow and we can all sit out in our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't expecting yesterday to be as pleasant as it was, a lovely surprise. xxx

      Delete
  20. is jon making footprints on the ceiling already??? ;-D
    incredible results of your research!
    you both are so very busy in your garden - and the garden itself presents you with pretty flowers..... great job of kev to rescue the vintage tiles for you.
    love me some paisley - and yours looks fabulous - but the classic red&white folky style is lovely too!
    cuddle the lads from us!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's already expecting me to curtsy to him!
      It's so exciting to see flowers bloom, buds appear and leaves starting to unfurl. I love walking aroun dteh garden first thing in the mornibng and looking for changes.
      It's great having friends on the same wavelength as us. Those tiles will be very useful. xxx

      Delete
  21. Keeping my fingers crossed for the festival in September. It must be both exciting and a bit scary, though. Well done for Jon to remove that big holly tree. We used to have two tall inherited ones in our tiny garden and we never regretted having them professionally removed.
    I do love a productive morning, although mine are never as action filled as yours, and tend to start a bit later too. Poor Stephen though, having to pop pills again.
    Loving the Victorian terracotta roof tile, and I'm admiring your Hostas, which we are simply unable to keep here due to the population of slugs and snails. Your Paisley print maxi is stunning and once again your research on Jon's ancestry has kept me totally enthralled. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting and a bit scary is the perfect description but we're thinking that if September festivals are okay then surely flights abroad will be, too and that a trip to Greece could follow!
      A blog friend suggested that if you grow your hostas in pots and smear Vaseline around the edge it'll deter slugs and snails, it worked last year! xxx

      Delete
  22. I hope that festival can go ahead. It would be lovely to hear all about it if you get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too! We're also supposed to be trading at a big outdoors event in London in July! xxx

      Delete
  23. You have ace research skills! Holy Cow, THREE Kings no less - better watch out or Jon might start acting high and mighty ;) I am always impressed by how productive your mornings are. Mine start much later than yours so I never have any time to do anything before I start work. Sorry to hear that Stephen's blood pressure is up and he has to take more pills. Yes, good think you have pet insurance. I've been lucky that aside from a teeth cleaning, I haven't had to spend much money on Sylvester (so far).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rather addictive all this genealogy! I love it when I unearth someone notable or posh.
      Vet bills can soon add up, I'm so glad I did the sensible thing and took out insurance when he was a kitten! xxx

      Delete
  24. I hope Stephen is happy Vix-he looks it-and I do worry about vets bills so have insurance for my 4 dogs,dare not have it.I hope you find a long lost inheritance as well as Crowns and jewels x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These disorders can soon add up, can't they? Stephen is a happy boy, he never stops talking and woe-betide a creature that isn't Frank wandering into the garden, he's 16 going on 6! xxx

      Delete
  25. Baddesley Clinton looks such a delight to visit! And yet more intriguing history! I fancy visiting Heligon too! Do let me visit your estate ;-) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be most welcome at our estate! xxx

      Delete
  26. Ah, I keep ending up on the wrong blog post!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Totally amazing Lord Jon's family tree and you're a brilliant searcher!
    Glad that you have a vet insurance, and I admire anybody who can administer pills to a cat!, this is almost a miracle (no wonder having some Saints in the family!);DD
    Looking lovely in paisley, dear Vix, you rock it!. And glad to see you wearing your clogs!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh, Jon has to be some kind of siant to get a cat to take pills! xxx

      Delete
  28. So late to the party! Good morning Vix! I love your maxi and of course all the flower pics. Well the new garden is done and just reading your great tip about the hostas . I have not been well but ok now that's for sure. I sometimes thiknk we come back better than ever after a period of not being well. I noticed your stone statue we had one like that gave it to someone to fix and they moved and never gave it back. So excited for your festial - hope it goes ahead have you got lots of stock left? in the Kinky Shed? I like you love looking for changes in the garden and can't wait for all the new flowers to grow! Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shaz! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better now, I know exactly what you mean about coming back better than ever when you've been off-colour, everything seems brighter and more intense. I think we're going to have to be brave and visit more than the usual charity shop! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix