Monday 26 April 2021

The Distancing Diairies - 25th & 26th April, 2021


On Sunday morning I stripped off my nail paint while I was waiting for the tea to brew then took our mugs back to bed where we lay and read until 8am. We had toast for breakfast and I painted my nails with Barry M's Blood Orange whilst watching The Andrew Marr Show. It's barefoot gardening time so after a six-month break, I'm painting my toenails again.

Once dressed we drove into town and had a rummage in the charity clearance shop. I'd found a few things but on reflection, they weren't setting my world alight so I put most of them back. I settled on another pile of paperbacks, a 1970s Indian embroidered leather bag (£1) and this Diesel vest dress, also £1, which will be perfect workout wear. Initially, I thought it was one of those fakes you always used to see for sale in Turkey in the 80s & 90s but no, it's legit & retailed a couple of years ago for £80 (utter madness!) The care label is so crisp I doubt it's been worn more than once. Jon wanted something comfy for lounging around in after his evening shower and managed to find some Zara navy cotton drawstring trousers for £2.

We walked down to Wilko to get fat blocks for the birds and some screws and ended up buying a couple of terracotta plant saucers, some garlic bulbs & two gorgeous varieties of Rhipsalis, as you do!


The tomato dress got the first outing of 2021. Vintage cotton dresses, clogs and ridiculously over-the-top 1970s sunglasses, my summer uniform! This dress was listed on eBay as a "fruit print kaftan", no wonder I won it for a song. I'd love to know what mind-bending drugs the person who embroidered this was on. 

Back at home I watered the new plants and hung them up in the bathroom while Jon repotted the cucumbers & pepper seedlings.


After a break for noodles, I spent an hour watering the garden then retired to the lawn where I lay in the sun and finished my Peter James thriller. As paneer & veg curry was on the menu for later I harvested the last of the purple sprouting broccoli before digging up the plants and sticking them in the compost bin.


I went through the bookshelves looking for my next book. My first choice was Kazuo Ishiguro's The Buried Giant, which I'd bought from the charity shop last week but read the sleeve notes and realised I'd already read it. I absolutely loved it but didn't feel like I needed to re-read it again just yet.


This spy thriller set in Tudor England has rave reviews, I wonder if any of Lord Jon's lot will get a mention?

Talking of which, here's Jon's 16 x great aunt, The Blessed Lady Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury

Warblington Castle in Hampshire, the family home

Margaret Plantagenet (like any history lover, I nearly died with excitement when I spotted that surname on Jon's family tree) was the daughter of George, the Duke of Clarence, who was executed for treason by allegedly being drowned in a vat of Malmsey wine (an interesting way to go) and Isabel Neville.  She was the niece of Richard III and Edward IV. She was born at Farleigh Hungerford Castle in Somerset on 14th August 1473 and married Richard Pole, in a match arranged by Henry VII, her guardian since childhood and a close relative of Richard.

Margaret's execution

 Margaret was one of two women in 16th-century England to be a peeress in her own right with no titled husband and managed her lands so well that she was the fifth richest peer in the realm. One of the few surviving members of the Plantagenet dynasty after the Wars of the Roses, she was executed on 27th May 1541 at the command of Henry VIII, who was the son of her first cousin Elizabeth of YorkPope Leo XIII beatified her as a martyr for the Catholic Church on 29 December 1886.

Reginald Pole in a portrait by Sebastiano del Piombo

Margaret had five children, four sons and one daughter. Reginald (1500 - 1558) became an English cardinal and was the last Roman Catholic Archbishop of Canterbury, holding office from 1556 - 1558 during the Counter-Reformation. 

Wolf Hall - I've read the book but have yet to watch the TV adaptation. 

Cardinal Pole is a major character in The Time Before You Die by Lucy Beckett and The Trusted Servant by Alison Macleod and also features in Hilary Mantel's novel The Mirror and the Light. He and his brothers, sister and mother are the central characters in Phillipa Gregory's, The King's Curse. Margaret appears in Shakespeare's Richard III as the young daughter of the murdered Duke of Clarence. She also appears in Hilary Mantell's Wolf Hall and Bringing Up The Bodies. 

After a splendid curry, we spent the evening watching Waking the Dead and Line of Duty. I can't believe it's the series finale next week, there are so many questions that need answering!


On Monday I wrapped my eBay sales, put the seedlings outside and did my Wii Fit workout, dressed in my new-to-me vest. The old one (50p from a charity shop four years ago has been chopped up & relegated to the duster drawer.) After breakfast, I had an epic blogland catch-up and claimed for the government's self-employed Covid grant. There was much excitement when the exotic bulbs Jon had ordered from the Netherlands arrived, beautifully presented in 100% recyclable packaging. 



Jon left for his Monday morning routine of the Post Office run, a supermarket shop and coffee with Tony. It was yet another bright, sunny day and despite the forecast being for temperatures of around 12°C, with our west-facing walled garden, it was warm enough for bare feet and a floaty frock.  


My trusty beach dress bought from a little boutique on Colaba Causeway in Mumbai in 2018. My heart breaks watching India being overwhelmed by Covid. 


The seeds we'd collected from last year's Empress of India nasturtiums were coming along a treat so I potted them on, which I'll transplant into chimney pots in a few weeks' time. The Black Velvet seeds we'd bought from Wilkos were a little slow to get going but they're starting to shoot up now.


I was expecting a call so, as I don't have a mobile phone, had to stay within earshot of the house phone which meant reading my book in the sunshine on the patio. No hardship, really.  


I was looking at some microgreen kits in Wilko the other day, the in-thing apparently. I thought I'd have a go at growing something similar, filling an old enamel lampshade with potting compost and sprinkling a mixture of lettuce seeds over the top. They're delicious!


Once Jon was back we had noodles and drove up to the garden centre for some compost. We spotted some strawberry plants going cheap so bought them, too. Back at home, we planted the strawberries in the rustic planter we'd made from an old pallet a couple of weeks ago which we lined with the empty sack the compost had come in.



Jacob was stomping around his enclosure like a thing possessed and soon demolished the Reine de Glace lettuce & Mizuna leaves I threw at him. Growing our own leaves saves us a fortune - both the tortoise and us get through loads of them and they're much tastier than the boring stuff they sell in the supermarket. 


Jon planted his exotic bulbs while I potted up my marigolds. They did me proud last year and bloomed until the end of November, I hope this lot do the same.


We chopped down a laurel bush, planted some garlic and moved the Euphorbia and after giving everything a good watering. we sat down and enjoyed a mug of tea in the late afternoon sunshine. 



Tea was a salad with red onion, Cheddar and mozzarella focaccia accompanied with a glass of wine. We'll be watching more of Waking the Dead later and looking forward to tomorrow's National Trust adventure.

See you soon! 

57 comments:

  1. You two are wasting no time getting your garden going and in a big way! I love all three outfits in today's post. Your curry looks fantastic and I can't wait to see the next National Trust adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're making hay when the sun shines. You never know in the UK, we could have a month of rain soon and not be able to accomplish anything! xxx

      Delete
  2. Last autumn I planted 30 garlic plants and only five survived as a mole developed a taste for the exotic. If you have moles about, be warned. That was the last thing I expected to get eaten.
    Once the marigolds and nasturtiums are blooming you must post more photos. I'm sure they'll be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, naughty mole! I don't know if I've ever seen any molehills around here. Hopefully the netted raised bed should put off any invaders.
      I love marigolds and nasturtiums. They put a big smile on my face for months last year. xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh, another thing you and I have in common, Vix: no mobile phone! Life is so much easier and less stressful not having one. No one believes me when I say that, though!

    Love seeing your bright tomato-red toes and nails, and I adore that tomato dress. Those are rather psychedelic tomatoes on it, aren't they? More fun history from Jon's family! Our history here in Canada only goes back 250-ish years so nothing that exciting for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we must be the only two people on the planet who refuse to have a mobile phone. You're quite right, I love being discontected and living in the moment without distractions when I'm outside the house.
      I love those trippy tomatoes. People keep offering to buy my dress when I wear it but it's mine!
      Some branches for the family tree reach a dead end past 1850, I can't believe Jon's, it just goes on and on! xxx

      Delete
  4. We haven’t got a Wilkos so I’ll try the garden centre for some of those leaf seeds. I said to a friend neither me or Philip are gardeners, we just like somewhere nice to sit and evergreen plants to look at. We are trying to keep the maintenance to a minimum that way we won’t fall out with it.
    Isn’t Jon’s family history throwing up some interesting ancestors. Does he get excited about it ?
    Tell him Philips van is in dock having a new gearbox. We’ve decided to keep it a while yet as it’s useful for picking up big stuff. I’m glad we’ve all been able to sit out in the sun this last week. It’s so uplifting. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebay's really good for seeds if you have no luck with the garden centre.
      I'm hoping that once we've got our garden back under control after years of neglect it'll just be a matter of windowboxes, bulbs and patio pots in the future but all this work is rather addictive.
      Jon's a bit overwhelmed by all these ancestors especially find ones he actually learnt about at school are related to him. He sneds his comiserations over the gear box but understands why Philip's kept the van - there's always big stuff to pick up! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ha! When I saw the larger photo of the exotic bulbs I thought you had made a huge batch of sourdough bread. Methinks I'm spending too much time in the kitchen. Love your tomato dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scrolled back and saw exactly why you thought that!
      Isn't the tomato dress insane? Perfect for a gardener or a foodie! xxx

      Delete
  6. I love both the dresses and who knows, maybe you will get to wear the beach dress abroad this year. I am really hoping we can travel this summer and have renewed L's passport just in case. Your seeds are coming on well. My nasturtiums have come up and are looking good but only about half the number I planted. I may have to go back to Wilko and get another packet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm keeping everything crossed for an Autumn getaway to Greece like we managed last year.
      I wouldn't worry too much about only half the packet of nasturtiums coming up, I only had one plant last year and it covered most of my border. I collected enough seeds to make two jars of Poor Man's capers as well as to plant and give away to friends and neighbours! Best value flowers ever! xxx

      Delete
  7. Had I never got a cell phone I wonder if my stress would be cut in half! I wish you luck getting the yield you hope from your flowers. Squirrels seem to love whatever I try to grow. The world needs to step forward and help all countries access health care and vaccines. I'm sure with your affinity with India it has to ne even more painful to see suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as my dad died and I didn't need to be contactable 24/7 the phone went to charity. If anyone needs me that desperately they can always ring Jon. There's something so freeing about being disconnected.
      Squirrels are a pest. I lay holly leaves around new plants or set up intricate fences with bamboo sticks to stop them or the cats digging holes!
      The situation in India is dreadful. I wonder how the flat earthers can still deny Covid is fake? xxx

      Delete
  8. It still to cold to garden here in northern part of Untited States. All those mirco green looks good. I really like sun flower greens. I find it amazing one can go back 16 generation and I can go back 5 generation, my dad side was purtains that came from Northern England.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having cold nights and frosty mornings so everything is covered up or brought inside at night.
      It's amazing how far records go back if your family were aristocrats! xxx

      Delete
  9. I adore your cheerful postings. The colours are wonderful. I am a shut in 99% of the time and when I was young I loved my garden just like you. Can’t wait to see your bulbs in bloom. I have a lovely garden in the country. Full of climbers and pots, roses and trees. It took two men to cut the hedges over eight hours last week. I am lucky to have a lovely couple who do the garden. I miss my husband terribly. He took such a pride in the hedges and we had such fun planning. Your food looks delicious. Thank you again for a lovely viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always lovely yo hear from you, Sally. I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband, i hope that beautiful garden you created together brings you some comfort.
      I'm pleased you have help with your garden, it's tiring when there's two of us. xxx

      Delete
  10. Looks like the charity shop run was worthwhile :) Jon's bulbs look enourmous and very interesting and what beautiful packaging they came in. Like you I feel so sad for those in India but glad we and others are sending vital equipment to help them (ventilators). You seem to have a garden version of Dr Who's tardis! love seeing all the thing you are growing. Jon's family tree is incredible, you have made the account so interesting with the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Nothing spectacular but a few useful bit and pieces and always fun to have a good old rummage if nothing else!
      I'm glad we're sending help to India, I feel so utterly helpless just watching what those poor families are going through.
      The garden has really opened up since Jon hacked down the undergrowth, even the postman's been down to have a look at it! xxx

      Delete
  11. Love the diesel vest that would go for a pretty penny at work. They love things like that over here. Aren’t those bulbs fab, when ever we stop over In Amsterdam we stop by the bulb market by the canal and stock up. I have really missed that. Good old Dutch being eco . I’d frame that wonderful print they sent you with the bulbs.
    Got our care boxes and good old mum put some free Morrison’s sunflower seeds in as well as some jars of strawberry jam as I have really been craving it. She put a nice bird house in as well.
    Your garden is huge, I walk around ours and I feel it is big enough for us. As we have beautiful parks on our doorstep to wander and while through.
    I wonder if Jon’s family can get more macabre as it goes?? take care and keep safe love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon's always been a fan of Diesel (secondhand, obviously!), they're styling is always a bit more edgy. They're crazy expensive new, aren't they?
      I'd love to visit the tulip fields. That package was a joy to open, even the lady who'd packed the order had left a little note !
      Well done to your mum for snaffling the free sunflower seeds! I haven't had jam in years - I think it was Gujarat in 2018, I fancy some now!
      Death by drowing in wine. Those Tudors were a grisly lot! xxx

      Delete
  12. barefeet gardening!
    no way here - this morning the garden was frozen again.......
    its wonderful to see how your plants are sprouting - your garden will look gorgeous comes summer - and the exotic bulbs are very interesting. as is jon´s family! such a glamourous bunch!
    always love to see the tomato dress!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had frost-free mornings here for a week although we've been told to expect them to return this week.
      I can't wait for the marigolds, geraniums and nasturtiums to flower although I mustn't be impatient, I'm still waiting for the rest of my tulips. xxx

      Delete
  13. It warms the cockles of my heart to see you barefoot, wearing those big sunnies and your "trusty beach dress"! I'd love to hear Jacob Herrmann crunching his greens and stomping about his luxe accommodations. He'd be welcome to share the cats' chard, were we meighbors.
    What are those exotic bulbs? They appear to be fennel on steroids -- or perhaps super sweedes?
    Jon's family tree continues to reveal some bloody albeit blessed branches. They certainly had courage to play their roles on the big stages of the time. Small wonder Jon can flourish in the spotlight, should the occasion demand.
    No cell? And hereabouts I'm considered a Luddite for refusing to set up voice mail on my smart phone. When I retired, I disconnected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those exotic bulbs are colcasias, Elephane Ear plants! I'm hoping they grow as i've wanted some for years! xxx

      Delete
  14. Hi Vix, just thought I would stop by and say hello, looking forwards to following your posts now I am back blogging.
    Marlene xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you back blogging, Marlene! x

      Delete
  15. Sorry, late to the party. Your plants are looking quite fabulous, and I have "walking around barefoot' envy 🤢

    The research you are doing into Jon's family leaves me speechless - having no family of my own I cannot quite comprehend what it must be like being able to trace ancestors back so far. Is Jon enjoying it all as much as you are?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always welcome at the party, fashionably late or not!
      Jon's a bit perplexed by all these grand titled nobles and saints I'm uncovering, he doesn't understand how the family ended up in Walsall! xxx

      Delete
  16. The charity shops have re-opened here as from yesterday, but I don't think I'll be visiting be very soon. All too often, I find myself putting things in my basket just for the sake of it, but which as you cleverly put it do not set my world on fire. I would love some more books though, so I'm sure it won't be all too long before the lure of the charity shops becomes too strong. I absolutely love that 1970s Indian embroidered leather bag, so I guess I would have bought that too.
    Summer must be on its way if your tomato dress comes out to play. That one always puts a smile on my face.
    I'm relieved to hear your Black Velvet nasturtiums have taken their time to appear. I've sowed mine (a different variety) just under two weeks ago and still nothing, but perhaps I needn't worry yet.
    Those exotic bulbs look amazing, as does their beautiful packaging. I wonder what they are!
    I've been on the edge of my seat following the progress of Lord Jon's family tree, and this installment certainly didn't disappoint. Your mention of Farleigh Hungerford Castle in Somerset was a blast of the past for me, as we visited it when we were touring Somerset almost 20 years ago ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think between us we've saved a fortune by not visiting charity shops for four months. Those £1,£2 and £3 purchases soon add up and we're both guilty for buying for the sake of it. Both times I've been I've carried my finds around and before going to the till asked myself if I really need them and most of the time it's a big no!
      Those black velvet nasturtiums took ages to sprout. The seeds we harvested and planted have gone mad, I think Stonecroft might become one giant nasturtium if they carry on like this!
      Fancy visiting Jon's castle - that's more than he's done! xxx

      Delete
  17. Lovely for you to be able to garden bare footed once again. Our new plants have started to grow a bit bigger and I'm looking forwards to seeing what they do over the coming weeks. I'm sure you'll have seen, but the whole back catalogue of Silent Witness is now on Iplayer. It might not be your thing anyway. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats the feeling of soil between the toes - except for sand!
      I think last night's rain will work it's magic on my planting.
      I loved Silent Witness, we watched every episode when they were repeated on the i-player iin February last year, it was a perfect cure of jetlag! xxx

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Egads, there is no edit in life, or on blogspot. In any case: Your garden! Still near freezing (sometimes) w sloppy snow in my corner. Could you say which "zone" you are in? Woke tortise (turtle? Not to mis-species) and plants surviving outside at this point in your season might be a useful hint for those here in the North American tundra. With thanks : ) Also: that tomato dress and folk belt sing together. Thanks for the eye candy, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth! Our garden does go on for ever, it's quite daunting so I have to break it up into areas and tackle a bit at a time.
      Here in the UK we don't tend to go by zones like I've noticed many non-British gardening websites do but I've just had a google and it appears that the Midlands, where we live, is a zone 7 - hope this helps! xxx

      Delete
  20. That's amazing that Jon is related to Plantagenets (SUCH a satisfying word/name to say!). Margaret sounds a real character!
    Yaaay, I missed the tomato dress! Looks super!
    THOSE BULBS ARE MONSTERS! I think I've seen them in Doctor Who! :-)
    I feel so sad about India- it's so horrid, esp after all the horrible time the Sikh farmers have been having over the oppression over the big companies trying to take over their lands.
    Love seeing your lettuce growing. I've grown some this year also, it's getting towards the stage of picking I think, but I'm not sure when to! My spinach is coming along too!
    Love a Wilko visit! Had to resist when I was in Southend the other day as I wanted aaaaaaaaaaaaall the plant stuff! Finally planted my Dahlia bulbs in pots the other day and they are already growing! Now need to do the Echinacea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe it? He's not very well up on his history so I'm having to educate him. I keep squealing with excitement about my discoveries and have to talk him through the royal connections. I have found a couple of ancestors that he has heard of though, watch this space!
      Ha! Those bulbs do look like Dr Who monsters. They're in puts underneath the bay window in the lounge at the moment, I better start locking the bedroom door at night!
      Wilko's garden department is the best, I'm like a kid in a sweetshop! xxx

      Delete
  21. Wolf Hall was a brilliant series. What's-his-face was really very good in it. Wish it was time to plant out my 'serious' veggie plants but the windchill up here is still icy cold. Out of a whole packet of nasturtium seeds, we are only getting 4 plants so far. Had a good result with the green pepper seeds I planted though so it's not all bad! I loved the jewellery prog last night but what's-her-face was starting to irritate me a bit!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must track it down. As I said to Sally, I love Mark Rylance and Damian Lewis is fantastic, too. It was on TV when we were in India and we always said we'd watch it on catch-up.
      We've had some lovely weather here. My nasturtiums & marigolds are out but the sweet peas, sunflowers and dahlias are safely tucked up in the cloche.
      I really liked the look of that jewellery programme but when I saw who was presenting it I couldn't bring myself to watch it.
      Sewing Bee later! xxx

      Delete
  22. It's sunny here but way too cold for bare feet, I'm still in woolly tights!
    I think Wolf Hall was like marmite, some loved it and some just couldn't. I tried to read it twice but although I've loved the subject in other books there was something about the way it was written that I just couldn't get into. It was odd because I loved quite a few of Hilary Mantel's earlier books.
    I do love your tomato print dress, it's such an eye catcher.
    I reckon the way you and Jon are going you'll be able to open your garden to the public soon, it's so well tended and beautiful.
    Hope you're having a good week Vix. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cold here today. I braved bare legs and boots but I was dithering by late afternoon!
      I loved Wolf Hall but I read it on a beach and had all the time in the world to spend on it. I ought to track down the TV series, I'd forgotten Mark Rylance was in it and I absolutely love him (I've seen Bridge of Spies 6 times!)
      We've still got loads to do in the garden but if anyone wants to come round for a tour they'd be most welcome! xxx

      Delete
  23. woww, so lovely to see you enjoying the sunshine in your garden, barefeet!, you look like a summery visión and I love your tomato dress (a favourite!), and kaftan!.
    It's so amazing to read about your genealogic research and so interesting ancestors (well, those were some interesting times indeed). Thanks for references of some historic novels too, they look really appealing!
    Your gardening always admire me, lots of plants and projects going on!. It looks like a lot of hard work, but such a rewarding one.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to feel the sunshine on my skin and the earth between my toes although it's got a lot colder today!
      I do love a historical novel, Hilary Mantell is amazing but I've not read any of the others. xxx

      Delete
  24. Ahh, there's my favourite Vix tomato dress! I'd be interested to know what type of bulbs those are - they look amazing, like giant dried elephant dung!

    How funny that Jon has distant relatives with 'blessed' in their titles. I reakon you should do a decoupage wall spectacular with all these brutal, bloody, old images ...maybe in a downstairs broom cupboard or karzie... like they do on 'Escape to the Chateaux', when they find yet another random box of old pictures or seventeenth century wall paper in the attic. (I'm taking the mickey but I love it!!!)

    Lulu xXx

    P.s. Have you ever watched 'What we do in the Shadows' - TV series on iPlayer? The opening credits and song might be enough to get you hooked -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd2Prf-D-_8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thopse bulbs are weird, aren't they? They are colcasias, bastard massive elephant ears, I hope the sprout, I'va lawys wanted some.
      I still haven't watched the Chateau but have seen a clip of that "found" wallpaper. Do you think that was staged?
      I shall investigate What we do in the shadows right now! xxx

      Delete
  25. I remember that tomato dress. Such an unique pattern...and embroidered! It looks great on you.
    The Tudor historical fiction novel you picked up sounds interesting. Heresay, is it? I couldn't quite make out the title.
    Jon's family history is amazing. It goes so far back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomato dress is one of my favourites - I love the idea of the previous owner sitting and stitching those tomatoes with a huge smile on her face!
      The novel is Heresy, it's gripping and very well written, I can't put it down! xxx

      Delete
    2. then I must see if my library has Heresy.

      Delete
  26. I hate it when I rebuy a book I've already read. It's inevitable though if you read a lot. Jon's family connections get more and more regal!

    How fab to be able to wear short sleeves and cotton clothes with bare feet. I love the tomato dress and the floaty number. Love the Blood Orange nail polish,too. You did pretty well in the chazzas and Jon's drawstring pants sound perfect for chilling out in. We used to have a charity clearanced shop for 'Mercy in Action' but they've closed down permanently now. High street premises costs and Covid did for them.

    It is totally horrendous what is happening with Covid in India and my heart goes out to all the sick, dead and dying people and their families and friends.

    I just can't imagine a tortoise stomping!


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Vronni! I hope you had a lovely holiday.
      It's so annoying to rebuy books and I keep doing it!
      Definitely not a bare feet kind of day today, it's bitter out there.
      I love my weekly visits to the chazza, I never expect to get anything so even a £1 bag and a vest is a bonus. I don't think I could cope with six or eight shops in a day like we used to. xxx

      Delete
  27. Those bulbs look impressive. I do hope they are successful for you. X

    ReplyDelete
  28. The garden is coming along beautifully, let's hope there's no more frosty nights to hold things back, or worse. Jon looks just like his great aunt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish this frost would take itself back to wherever it came from, bored with it now!
      That made me giggle, she's a scary looking woman! xxx

      Delete
  29. Ha, Farleigh Castle's just down the road from me - we usually pass it if we drive into Bath. Quite a lot of it's still standing.

    What's happening in India is terrible. I hope things improve drastically soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix