Saturday 3 October 2020

The Not Quite As Distant Holiday Diaries - Panormos, Crete


After three days of exploring Rethmyno we gathered our belongings and caught one of the buses that run along the coastal highway. Masks were again mandatory for both driver and passengers, hand santiser was freely available and our €2.40 tickets were purchased via contactless card payment at the bus station prior to boarding.


Some forty minutes later we alighted at Panormos, a pretty little village 22 km east of Rethymno. A settlement dating back to ancient times, Panormos is home to the ruins of what was once a sixth century basilica, destroyed by the Saracen invasion back in the ninth century, as well as the remains of a Genoese castle. The archaeological museum we'd visited in Rethymno contained many ancient relics unearthed from the village including incredible jewellery from 4000 BC (making me wish I'd packed a spade).


We wanted to spend the rest of our time in Crete at the seaside but purpose-built tourist resorts with English-style pubs & rows of sunbeds on the beach hold little appeal. Trawling through TripAdvisor, the wonderfully helpful Magical Island of Crete Facebook page and The Rough Guide we came across Panormos in the province of Milopotamos. As it only has a few tiny beaches & a minuscule harbour, its said that even in high season it doesn't attract big crowds and as a result retains its tranquility and traditional village feel.  I also loved the name (I can spend hours staring at maps and tittering at place names). Panormos has become part of our vocabulary, as an alternative to bastard massive when describing something huge.


In these strange times, when so few are travelling, accommodation prices have been slashed. We could have stayed at a couple of hotels on the outskirts of the village for less than £15 a night but we've never been the type of people who enjoy big tourist hotels with swimming pools so instead splashed out on a harbourside apartment in the Captain's House, a beautifully restored traditional stone mansion perched on the very edge of the Sea of Crete. We arrived to discover a welcome hamper containing several bags of Cretan sultanas (one of the island's biggest exports), two bottles of local wine, some posh filter coffee, fresh fruit and, in this age of Covid, handy bottles of sanitiser and medical grade face masks.

The cobbled, traffic-free streets really were a joy to wander.

More often than not there'd only be us and a handful of locals going about their daily routine. We even saw a few of the male villagers resplendent in traditional Cretan boots and waxed moustaches, playing backgammon and greeting us with a cheerful Kalimera!

Loving the make do and mend ethos.

Nights in Panormos were low-key. Nikitas, was our first port of call. Every evening we'd order an ice cold Mythos, sit beneath the vines with the gang of cats, overseen by tabby Oscar and watch village life go by - ladies dressed in black playing cards, the gentleman sipping ouzo, clicking their worry beads and putting the world to rights. The bar owner even cut us down a bunch of grapes from the rafters which we'd nibble with our beer.


Yammas!

There were only a handful of tourists in Panormos when we visited, many come for the day in hire cars and leave by sunset. The bar & restaurant owners told us that even in normal times the village never gets too busy. Due to the island's temperate climate, Crete's tourist season runs from April until the end of October with the sea still warm enough to swim in as late as November. Due to Greece's strict lockdown measures, this year's tourist season didn't start until 1st July and, after the UK government removed Crete from their quarantine-free corridor on 9th September and The Netherlands government advised their citizens against all travel to Greece, many hospitality businesses have decided to close in mid-October rather than wait until the end of the month. Did the Cretans complain? Not at all. Most expected lockdown to last all year and were grateful for a few weeks of trade even if it was quiet. All are hopeful of a vaccination being found, a better year in 2021 and are full of praise for the fast actions of their government over Coronavirus. Crete reported just 70 Covid deaths out of a population of over 750,000.

Our favourite place to eat was Geronymos, a family-run taverna in the centre of the village. In busier times the ancient blue gateway behind us opens out into a lush garden but dining out on the cobblestones of the village square illuminated by festooned lights was pretty magical.

Jon rarely eats meat at home but absolutely loves the slow-cooked lamb, gyros and pork souvlaki when he's in Greece. If he decides he wants a meat dish I just ask the waiter for anything vegetarian and leave it to them to decide. I loved the Iman Bayildi, stuffed aubergines topped with chunks of feta cheese; briam, seasonal roasted vegetables in tomato sauce and gemista, rice stuffed tomatoes and peppers. Those grapes are those freshly cut from the arbor outside Nikita's bar and probably the best I've ever tasted (who knew grapes and lager went so well together?)


We'd buy locally grown fruit daily from the supermarket - peaches, plums, nectarines and grapes and have them for breakfast with the thickest, creamiest Greek yogurt known to man. As always a complimentary bottle of raki would arrive at the end of our meal and usually a desert, too. The Loukoumades, Cretan doughnuts dripping in local honey were a revelation.

Did I mention cats? Panormos has the biggest (and friendliest) cat population we've ever come across on our travels in Greece. We'd buy boxes of cat biscuits in the supermarket and feed every cat we met. Never before have I wandered the aisles of a shop with a cat following me.


But it's not just the tourists with an affection for felines. Visit the village early in the morning and you'll find entire colonies of cats eagerly awaiting their breakfast from the Panormos residents. Many houses have bowls of water and food outside, we spotted charity collection boxes on the shop counters....


And even numerous well-stocked Cat Cafes dotted around the village.







Breakfast time!

The outskirts of the village is home to farms, vineyards and olive groves. 

Many locals told us to come back in Spring when the hills are covered in wildflowers, mesmerising even people who've lived here all their lives. Even in September there was an abundance of colour at the roadside as well as a plethora of pomegranates, lemons, figs and grapevines ripe for the picking.







The remains of the Genoese fort.





Even on the beach you get cat cuddles. Paul Panormos lay with us every day.

Panormos has several beaches. In normal times the one on which we chose to spend our days is apparently monopolised by the residents of the all inclusive complex at the top of the road. Fortunately for us (but probably not so good for the owners) the hotel didn't open this year meaning we that shared the sand with a handful of locals who'd pop down for pre-siesta swim.

The view from the Captain's House. Shall I tell you about the Sea of Crete? We swam in it at least three times a day. There's no tide, its delightfully calm with virtually no waves and, towards the end of September, as warm as a bath. Beware the sea bream though, they have no fear of humans.


A wonderful mix of ancient buildings, Greek tradition and nature in abundance.


This cove had a sign saying that the beach was for the sole use of the occupants of some luxury villa rentals nearby but as they were all closed up (another casualty of the pandemic) we thought we'd be safe trespassing.













Is Panormos really this tranquil, chilled & purr-fect in more normal times? There's only one way to find out...we'll have to go back in the Spring!

Take care and see you soon.

PS For all my Panormos photos click HERE


56 comments:

  1. I'm loving reading your slice of sunshine. Welcome back - a bit of a contrast in temperature and outlook. I wish more of Greece opened in the winter. I'd love to visit, especially to experience the historical sites, but I really don't like the heat, and so many of the places I'd like to visit close down over the winter. I've always promised myself a road trip around Greece one day but until I learn to live with higher temperatures it seems unlikely. In the meantime I can enjoy your impressions of Crete instead... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Fifitr! I'm glad you've enjoyed my Crete posts.
      If you're interested in visiting Knossos or any of the many museums and heritage sites in Crete then direct flights from the UK resume in May (although you can fly to Athens and get a connecting flight all year round). Average temperatures are around 20°C in May and the sights are open all year.
      As we've ruled out India for the foreseeable future we've toyed with travelling to Athens and seeing the classical sights on the mainland instead although the weather isn't much better than it is here! xxx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place! Panormos was the perfect choice for the two of us. I'm not into tourist built resorts either and I can see why you wanted to opt for something more authentic. I'm sure that the Captain's House was a great option for the two of you. This charming little village looks like such a relaxing place to stay at.
    Great vacation looks. The white and blue maxi dress suits you so well. I also like the green dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all their comforts touristy places always leave me cold, I want to experience life from another perspective, not a home away from home.
      The Captain's House was fantastic, I could have spent days gazing from the window watching the sea.
      My 1970s gingham dress hadn't been worn all year, it was lovely to give her a trip to Greece! xxx

      Delete
  3. Psipsinas! Lovely kitty pictures! I knew I'd be hungry for Greek cuisine when I started reading, but what a treat to get so many images of the pretty kitties too. Now a days, a US passport is useless. I envy you so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psipsinas! That took me right back to the pine marten in Captain Corelli's Mandolin!
      I shall travel to Greece on your behalf until you're able to travel freely again - I'm sure it won't be too long. xxx

      Delete
  4. that green dress on the last post would be stolen off your washing line (by me). I have to say this is the most fabulous place outside India and especially as it's so quiet and sleepy and un-touristy - though, sadly, me and about 1500 other of your followers could well change that in 2021 and all converge on it! I love everything and anything that comes with free cat cuddles is going on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was any chance of returning to India in January I'd bring you one of those green dresses back!
      Panormos was just lovely, the perfect place to unwind and experience a bit of traditional village life. Wouldn't it be lovely if a group of us all went next year? Those cats would be twice the size with all us crazy cat people pampering them! xxx

      Delete
    2. thanks Vix! I hope we can go to India too in the future, eventually a vaccine will turn up; yep hubby is interested in us going to Crete and following in your footsteps next year covid permitting, like the idea of getting buses - so yes a group would be fun.

      Delete
    3. I'll be first in the queue for a vaccine if it means we can travel freely again. I know you'd both love Crete, we really enjoyed travelling by bus. xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh how wonderful is Geronymos .... I believe I could sit there all day, reading a book, sipping, eating.... and watching the scenery. All the pictures you posted look so magical, Vix! I'm surprised you two even came home. But I know you love your home too. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geronymos really is a joy, home cooked food by the owner's mother and the most tranquil of settings. A perfect spot to enjoy a book! xxx

      Delete
  6. cats, cats, cats! Athens is full of them, too. And dogs. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me want to visit Athens even more than I do already! xxx

      Delete
  7. The colours!!! It's amazing what sea and sun can do for the morale. Again, your photographs are terrific. I've really enjoyed your travelogues, Vix. It's just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Catmac! Glad you enjoyed the photos! xxx

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful, relaxing trip ya'll had in what looks to be a breathtaking paradise!! I enjoy the history of the places you visited, and oh Lordy, the food looks fabulous!! My only problem would be....wanting to take all those sweet cats home, wow they were all so pretty! So glad ya'll had a great trip and returned home safely. Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us all! With all of your and Jons hobbies and chores you do I know your 2 weeks quarantine will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good to escape! The food was amazing and I wanted to bring all those cats home, especially Paul Panormos, who fitted in my beach bag really well! xxx

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos, and sounds like you had grand time. Only one question...Did you visit any charity shops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely break.
      There was a vintage shop in Chania but it was all 1990s gear and sportswear (not our thing at all!) xxx

      Delete
  10. Panormos looks simply superb . I'm with you on avoiding the touristy resorts whenever we travel. You were lucky to have those wonderful beaches to yourselves and your feline friends. The village is so picturesque , I can also imagine all the wildflowers in Spring. Many thanks for inspiring me to add Crete to my one day visit list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panormos was lovely, unspoilt and peaceful. One of the joys of travelling for us is getting a bit of an insight into different ways of life and Panormos did just that. We'll definitely go back. xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, Vix, I am swooning over everything in your photos. The food, cats and lovely beach shots.

    How lucky are you and Jon to enjoy these places mostly to yourselves! Can't wait for your next blog post! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I'm glad you liked the photos! We were so lucky to be able to get there, I had my doubts! xxx

      Delete
  12. Thank you, Vix, for a gorgeous alternative to a wet and dreary Sunday in Brum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're sharing the wet and dreary weather down the road in Walsall! Thanks for reading, Ruth and I'm so glad the post helped lift your mood a little. xxx

      Delete
  13. I can feel the sun's rays when I look at your lovely Crete pictures. But that food looks a little more delicious than my breakfast marmalade on toast! I think we'd spend all day stroking the cats...gorgeous! I went to Zakythos with friends in my early twenties and there were a lot of stray dogs there. I forgot how nicely the locals treated them. Lovely folk over there. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to think it was a week ago now - what a difference! The food is wonderful, nothing beats those huge - or should I say panormos - tomatoes!
      It warms my heart to see the stray cats being so well cared for. Happily Crete seems to be an island of dog lovers, too! xxx

      Delete
  14. Crete has never been on my radar before as somewhere to visit, I guess I've always imagined it as a tourist resort filled with screaming families and drunk teens so it's lovely seeing this side of it. I've never been to Greece, but I went to West Turkey which had a lot of Greek influence and it was just lovely. I think I'd struggle with wanting to bring some of those cats home with me though! I certainly prefer the look of their Cat Cafe's to the ones here in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most Greek Islands have their touristy bits but as Crete's the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean the vast majority of it is unspoilt, rugged and beautiful. It's only been part of Greece for 100 years so the history and architecture is fascinating.
      I travelled Western Turkey in 1987 shortly after the county opened up to mass tourism and visited Ephesus, Pamukkale, Izmir, Kusadasi and Altinkum. The warmth and hospitality of the Turks is very similar to the Greek people.
      I wanted to bring all those cats home with me! xxx

      Delete
  15. Panormos looks paradisaical, with its secret beaches, blue sky and even bluer sea, cobbled streets and ... cats! How brilliant are those cat cafés! I'm sure you'd have loved to take Paul Panormos home. He certainly seemed to appreciate cuddles and belly-rubs! Your travel photos are once again a delight, and I can almost feel the warmth of the sun, which would be very welcome on a dull rainy day like this. No wonder you're considering going back in Spring! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a joy, it reminded me of the pretty little Devon seaside towns we used to visit as children in the 1970s, sleepy and unspoilt (with a lot fewer cats and poor weather!)
      Paul loved his belly rubs and snuggling up really close despite the 35°C heat! Crazy cat! xxx

      Delete
  16. The Captain's House and Panormas sounds and looks Idyllic Vix-the perfect place to escape to for a holiday and it seems quite safe-so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved it, Flis. Pretty, quaint and unspoilt! xxx

      Delete
  17. Wow, what a holiday. I love the photo with the boats-so blue. Oh to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved every minute, it'll keep my wanderlust at bay for a while, I hope. xxx

      Delete
  18. How gorgeous! The light is just beautiful. You and Jon look fabulous and so chilled. It sounds like the most wonderful place to visit and I would love to go back to Greece; I enjoyed it enormously when I went with the middle grandson.

    I loved the colours of all the scenery; the cats were plentiful but looked very healthy and the food (yours not the cats!) had me dribbling.

    You must be so glad you braved it and went for a break!

    Take care and stay safe
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light is incredible in Greece, isn't it? It's almost impossible to describe the intensity of the colours until you've been there.
      I know you loved Corfu, just like we did. Crete was captivating, I can understand why so many people return year after year, there's just so much to see and do. xxx

      Delete
  19. Vix,What a great collection of photos, I have loved them all and you both look so chilled and relaxed. Doing my sums that’s the first week of your quarantine nearly over! Well, like us you won’t have had to water your garden and pots over the week end, what a dose of rain we have had over the West Mids but a nice bit of sunshine this afternoon. I am looking forward to watching The Big Dig on telly tonight, seen it once so going round again, can’t beat a second dose of my favourite city and the Peaky Blinders from Small Heath!!! small clue here. Keep Well Bab, Brummie SueXx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sue! Glad you liked the photos. Blogging about our trip certainly has made quarantine fly by, this time next week I'll be running up and down the avenue squealing with joy!
      We've binge watched The Big Dig, I love everything Alice Roberts does but what a treat that programme was with the bizarre grave goods, medical student pranks and the fantastic Carl Chinn talking about the Peaky Blinders. I might have to watch it all over again.
      Loads of love, xxxx

      Delete
  20. Beautiful Crete! Your photos show the island off so well. I hate big hotels too and also opt for an apartment. I like to pretend like I live there. Greek yoghurt is the best especially with the local honey. What a fabulous time you had, thank you for sharing, I feel as if I have briefly escaped from Blighty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! We love to pretend we live in the places we visit, too. I can't bear sitting round a swimming pool with a load of Brits, I'd prefer to stay at home.
      The Greek yogurt here just doesn't compare - even the proper pricey stuff and the honey is utterly gorgeous with that hint of thyme in it.
      I'm so glad the post gave you a brief chance to escape! xxx

      Delete
  21. Lovely Vix, you have brought colour and an all absorbing post to a dreary rainy Sunday night! Wow I could almost feel the relaxed atmosphere of eating out on the cobbled streets and oh there is that glorious food again. I think it says a lot about the people of that village the way they care for colonies of cats. It sounds like you picked a great place to stay too. Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shaz! Hasn't it been miserable? That heat and sunshine feels like a lifetime away today, I got soaked on the way to the bin! xxx

      Delete
  22. I would fall in love with all the cats, and definitely be buying food and treats for them. I'm happy the locals also provide them with care. How wonderful to spend an afternoon on a beach with a big snoozing kitty next to you. The food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted all the cats but Paul Panormos stole my heart, I wish our lads were that cuddly! xxx

      Delete
  23. Oh my gosh, this makes me want to go to Crete! All that food, all the lovely cats(!) and having most of the place to yourself all sounds so lovely. I guess the side benefit of all this horrid pandemic stuff is that you get all your travel accommodations for so cheap!

    Thank you for the amazing travelogue, Vix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History, culture, sunshine and cats, it's a dream destination! xxx

      Delete
  24. panormos sounds lovely!
    and people who treat cats so well must be good people - which speaks too for that town. again the food is mouthwatering and the ancient streets very pittoresque......
    do you know that classic greek marble statues were not white originally - but elaborate coloured? you at the cove in that yellow & turquois with colorful borders outfit remind me of the replicas based on the latest research i saw in a TV docu!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the statues - wow, they must have been a sight to behold! xxx

      Delete
  25. I hope you do go back in spring. I love places that make you feel welcome and special. The pictures you have shared have been wonderful. We are looking forward to autumn here as it as it is so beautiful here. You and Jon would love it. Take care and keep safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too. We loved Crete and the thought of those hills filled with wildflowers sounds like a dream!
      I bet Japan is stunning in the Autumn, you'll have to send me some photos. Walsall is just grey and wet! Stay safe! xxx

      Delete
  26. All those beautiful cats and such delicious looking food. I'm sold on the idea of Crete already. You've chosen some lovely areas of the island to visit. X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Panormos, great word! Also a gorgeous place, you took such beautiful photos of it.
    The street restaurant looks magical and the food photos made my mouth water.
    I love the cat cafés.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOWWW, What a Fabulous Post!, I'm loving every photo and every cat!, and every bougainvillea too!. This quiet atmosphere looks really like my kind of thing!, I'd love to sit outside a bar and have a beer (or two).
    It's sad that hotels couldn't open, but you made the most of it!. I love particularly the photo of you with the cat!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  29. Panormos sounds perfect - tranquil, beautiful, full of cats, colour and good food - what more could anyone ask for - except a second helping of Loukoumades perhaps?
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix