Thursday 19 March 2020

Travels in India, 2020 - The Grand Finale - Mad about Mumbai Part 2



Although we were only in Mumbai for three days, I thought I'd divide our trip over two blog posts. Anything to escape the weird reality we'd currently living in.


This is the Gateway to India, built in the Indo-Saracenic style in 1911 to welcome the arrival of King-Emperor George V and his wife, the Queen-Empress Mary, the first British monarch to visit India. It was also the monument from which the British troops left India in 1948 following independence.


We've been to some amazing places in India but Mumbai remains our favourite. It's an incredible place, the energy crackles in the air like electricity, it's vibrant, it's exciting and seething with contradictions. A city with more billionaires per square foot than anywhere else in India, some the costliest real estate in the world but is home to Asia's largest slum. The grand colonial architecture is straight of Victorian London only with palm trees & parrots and a winter day time temperature of 36°C


With a population of over 18.4 million, around 909 people move to Mumbai every day - that's thirty-eight per hour. As you can imagine, it takes an absolute age to get anywhere either on foot or by taxi but the city is dotted with wonderfully tranquil parks where it's easy to escape the madness, if only for a while.


One of our favourite things is just wandering the streets of Mumbai admiring the wonderful old buildings, which I've probably shared on my blog over the years. When we meet travellers visiting Mumbai for the first time they're always amazed at how beautiful and sparkling clean it is, not to mention the friendliness of its citizens. People have such cliched ideas of what India is like, Mumbai gives most British cities a run for their money.


Indias love self-help books, there are stalls like this on every street corner and at 100 rupees (around £1) and affordable for most Mumbaikers.



 This gorgeous old girl isn't looking too bad considering she's been driven around most of India!






There are street cats everywhere in Mumbai, cared for and fed by many of the citizens. There are collection points for fellow cat lovers to leave food and donations (which of course, we did). I even recognised a few moggies from our last visit.


The hip and happening area of Kala Ghoda (meaning black horse in Marathi) is the epicentre of the uber-cool Mumbai art scene, with a plethora of galleries and street artists, who hang their art from the bus shelters and railings. DAG is currently hosting The Sixties Show, a wonderful exhibition of Mid-Century Indian artists.


The Kala Ghoda statue marks the centre of the arts district.



An area of 22 hectares, Mumbai's Oval Maidan is where the city's youth gather to play cricket although it's a puzzle to understand how the players know which ball belongs to who, there's usually at least 30 games going on at the same time.



Try as we might, we found it impossible to take a photo of me outside the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel alone!


As usual, we stayed at Moti International, a crumbling Victorian mansion a stone's throw from the Taj Mahal Palace. The ground and first floor are rented out to guests whilst the upper three floors are hotel manager, Raj's, family home. Real estate in Mumbai is some of the most expensive in the world so Moti must be worth a fortune. 

  The Lonely Planet described the rooms as being just about clean enough and it's definitely not the place to stay if you're a cleanliness freak but, for us, it's perfect. Raj is the kindest, most affable host and there's always a cold beer available in the communal fridge (at half the price of anywhere else in Mumbai.)


Check out our private verandah! Definitely shabby chic. There's an exquisite mosaic floor under the dust - honest!


Mumbai is full of cool bars and restaurants. We discovered Bombay Vintage a couple of years ago and love the retro soundtrack & the vintage travel posters. There's a daily Happy Hour with two drinks for the price of one before 8pm and the food's not half bad either!


How about this for a fancy serving dish? Jon ordered Misal Pav, a popular Maharashtrian dish. The tiffin contained a spicy curry made with moth beans into which the waiter stirred in diced raw onion, chopped coriander and lemon and sev (the biscuity bits in Bombay Mix that resemble sticks). It was served with fresh bread rolls.




That was India, 2020 - a trip that took us to the Blue City of Jodhpur, the Golden City of Jaisalmer, a twenty-four-hour camel trek into the Thar Desert, the white sand beaches of South Goa, Panjim's atmospheric Latin quarter and the sophisticated city life of magical Mumbai. 

Tribal jewellery galore!

And here's just a few of things that I brought back with me ....oops!

Block printed madness: Cottage Cottage cami; Anokhi maxi dress; Tuk Tuk kaftan; Cotton Cottage sun dress; Anokhi midi dress plus an off-the-shoulder top and wrap top (both handmade from recycled sari silk)
Jon didn't do badly either! You've already seen the emergency wool muffler he bought from FabIndia in Jodhpur and the Cotton Cottage orange organic cotton shirt he was wearing in Mumbai. Here's a cotton cambric shirt he spotted in FabIndia in Goa. He also bought a pair of royal blue linen skinnies from FabIndia in Panjim (the cheeky purchase I spoke of) which are packed away and waiting for our trip to Greece in the Autumn - that's if life has returned to normal by then!


As the world continues to get stranger and normal daily life becomes more limited I'll continue to post regularly, not only sharing my outfits but with how I've filled my days as the festivals and fairs we'd booked to trade with cancel on an almost daily basis. There'll be no doom, gloom & scaremongering on this blog, I promise you that.

Stay sane & see you soon! 

57 comments:

  1. Another lovely post, if you run out of India I am just going to have to go over the whole lot from the beginning again! jewellery is beautiful, I never saw any tribal stuff on my trip, only glass bangles in Varanassi which when I tried them on broke and cut my hand lol! I like Jon with a furry face, it suits him:) more posts please to take my mind of the ridiculous hoarding of bog rolls going on around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I'll have to go into the shed of doom and see if I can find some of our old school photo albums of our first India trips (before digital camera!)
      Those glass bangles are so pretty but so tiny, there's no way I'd ever get one over my hulking great wrists! xxxx

      Delete
  2. bog rolls - not hoarded by me, I hasten to add - just fed up with seeing empty shelves. Love that all the oldies can shop early alone when shelves have been restocked whilst all the hoarders are held back outside at our supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see you hoarding bog rolls, Betty! I'm so glad that the supermarkets are allocating separate shopping times for pensioners and key workers. That video of the poor NHS worker unable to buy any fresh fruit or veg after a 48 hour shift broke my heart. The stockpilers need to be rounded up and made to clean the hospitals and streets, selfish idiots. xxx

      Delete
  3. Love the clothes you brought home. India is such a diverse place, almost like many countries within one. My Indian friend is a cricket fanatic - he and an Ozzy friend started a cricket league here just so they could play as it isn't very popular in Canada what with baseball basketball and hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget cricket isn't a universal game - India and England are obsessed!
      Before the Raj India was Hindustan, a huge land of many princely states all with different customs, languages and food - like Europe! xxx

      Delete
  4. looks absolutely ideal! love the clothes you picked too - so pretty and so you

    ReplyDelete
  5. woww, Mumbay looks so lively and amazing! and I enjoy so much your posts!
    And such fabulous clothes you purchased!, love all the block printed madness! and the Gorgeous Jewelery!. And obviously, Jon's shirts rock too!
    I'm also determined to keep my mind focused in all the things I still can do and enjoy, and share!. Also dreaming on my next holiday!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, keep sharing your makes, your fabulous outfits and the little snippets of your lovely home. We shall get through this and be able to travel the world again! xxx

      Delete
  6. Showed remarkable restraint with your shopping (kidding!). I'm with Betty, I'm going back to read everything all over again. Thanks for sharing.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd known what was in store for us I'd have bought the lot!! So glad you enjoyed the tours. xxx

      Delete
  7. Your India trip must seem a long time ago, with all the madness going on. And indeed, a travelogue is the best distraction. I'm loving that grand Victorian style architecture. That book stall made me smile, although I'm far from a fan of self-help books. 30 games of cricket at the same time? I've got a hard time keeping track of just one! Love the shabby chic private verandah, and obviously I'm swooning over all the things you brought back with you, including Jon's gorgeous shirt! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. India feels like a different century. I was thinking back to five weeks today, breakfast in a busy canteen, dodging cricket balls, jostling along the streets surrounded by millions of Mumbaikers and gently frying in 36°C! Now it's all social distancing, self isolation and polo neck jumpers as we can't afford to turn the heating on! xxx

      Delete
  8. The clothes you brought home with you are fabulous, especially the off the shoulder top. I also love the photograph of the book stall. Two of them stood out immediately and are very appropriate given the current climate. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are observant, Jules. Both those titles are very apt! x

      Delete
  9. Bless you as always, Vix, for providing all this colorful and cheerful entertainment for the rest of us--especially in these troubled times. It can't be easy for you and Jon, seeing all these festival cancellations. Let's all hang in there as best we can, around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, as always! At least we've had a chance to travel this year and have enough savings to see us through the foreseeable future. We can do this! xxx

      Delete
  10. If I ever visit India your travelogue would be Lonely Planet Guide! I loved the architecture of Mumbai and one could almost feel the energy of the place from your beautiful photos. The self help book stall made me laugh - the book that caught my eye said 'poo'. I know, toilet humour....

    The maxi dress you were wearing was beautiful; I loved the shape of it and the lovely print. And as for your purchases; all brilliant. I'm surprised you were so restrained but I expect that was the baggage allowance!

    I can see me turning to drink in the next few weeks! There was a lady in Lidl today who had about 4 or 5 big bars of chocolate in her hand. 'I must get my priorities right' she said with a wink. 'What, no wine?' I said. 'Oh, I've already got that in' she said. What neither of us knew at that point was that when she got to the checkout she'd have to hand back 3 of the chocolate bars as 2 per customer was the Lidl rule!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very restrained, wasn't I? If I'd known that I wouldn't be going into a charity shop for the foreseeable future I'd have ransacked Anokhi's rails regardless if the dresses were too big!
      Aww, that poor lady being deprived of her chocolate - it's not like it was milk, loo roll or bread! xxx

      Delete
  11. Hooray for normal posting! I'm with you, Vix! I love love love your travelogues and have thoroughly enjoyed every little bit. Mumbai looks so wonderful. I don't mind a bit of dust - what a lovely little porch you had! I'm so impressed with your wonderful travel clothes, no wonder people thought you were famous. What gorgeous new things you found! No more shopping for a while over here.

    Take care, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! India seems like a dream now I'm faced with this new reality.
      I'm going to post as much as I can, we all need a distraction. xxx

      Delete
  12. I look forward to reading your blog and check everyday to see if you have posted. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Claudia! I'll be posting more often now I'm at a loose end. xxx

      Delete
  13. What a trip and bet not a dull moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic, the time just flew by! x

      Delete
  14. I have loved following your travels in India - what a fantastic trip. I love the wonderful items you brought back. Thank you so much for your excellent blogs, They always lift my spirits, especially in these strange days. Love Alli, Australia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alli! It's always lovely to hear from you! I shall ramp up the number of blog posts I publish and offer a bit of a distraction to all my virtual pals. xxx

      Delete
  15. Well, another great posts that hits on all the important things... you in a gorgeous dress, jewelry, beautiful architecture, food, beer, cats... and a vintage car (bonus!).

    I am guessing the street in front of the hotel isn't nearly as crowded these days. You got home just in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend's just posted some photos of Indian cities on Facebook today - it appears the Indians are taking the advice to stay indoors a lot more seriously than some of my fellow citizens! xxx

      Delete
  16. What's a little dust among familiar customers? My favorite Chinese restaurants had not been redecorated in more than 30 years, then the aged owners' kids sold out and now it's updated and much more expensive. The Kong Pao chicken tastes funny. We regulars suspect there's a new unseasoned! pot back there in the kitchen, or perhaps a new unseasoned cook. Long may the Moti International stand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, the clean tax! I'm hoping Raj's son doesn't do the same. I'm more than happy to overlook a bit of dust and some threadbare bath towels if it means I can afford to stay in my favourite city. xxx

      Delete
  17. What wonderful posts!! Beautiful photos, the self-help books brought a smile to my face! Here in Barcelona in total lockdown for the past week-you can't imagine what a breath of fresh air these posts are!!Have never been to India but thanks to you, will try to go there some day. You are such an inspiration, you exude(?)such positivity and joy to be alive!(think my English is a bit rusty after 30 odd years in Spain!!) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diana! We've watched Spain become engulfed in the last few days, I think we're only a couple of weeks behind you. I hope you're managing to stay positive and safe indoors. I'm going to post as frequently as I can and urge my fellow blogging friends to do the same - we need all the contact we can get and virtually is the safest way to do it. Take care. xxx

      Delete
  18. thank you, dear, for still being positive!
    but i feel very sorry for you because of the canceled fairs/festivals - i know you make a living from. i hope your customers buy plenty via internet!
    mumbay looks gorgeous. and you brought back some marvelous things.... sigh.
    must take a example on you and be more productive with posts again - distracting myself and my virtual friends..........
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so positive that I start to annoy myself sometimes!
      Yes, let's have lots of inspirational posts from you, dear Beate - recipes, gardening, walking, interiors, cats and outfits - keep them coming! xxx

      Delete
  19. I've greatly enjoyed your India trip and Mumbai looks lovely.
    It's such a pain for you that festival season has been effectively cancelled but you are such a resourceful gal that I'm sure you will make a success of this year whatever happens. I'm looking forward to more of your positivity, I do love a glass half full attitude.
    Have a great weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're enjoying your weekend of dancing around the kitchen to the Jesus and Mary Chain! I've been doing a bit of tidying in the garden and have come in for a cup of tea and a bit of a catch-up. It's a gorgeous day today. xxx

      Delete
  20. Enjoyed tagging along virtually on your travels. You found some beautiful items to bring home.
    This won't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sincerely hope not, it's going to be a long Summer! x

      Delete
  21. Love the pile of self help books. Didn't realise they were so popular. I thought of you the other day when they cancelled the festivals. Hoping its all short lived and we can all get back to normal soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dawn! Self-help books are massive in India, I can't say I've ever read one!
      I sincerely hope life returns back to normal before too long. Maybe if everyone now starts to heed the advice to stay in we can curtail the spread. xxx

      Delete
    2. At least were now in lockdown so hopefully the spread will slow. I'm a key worker so work as normal for me and supervising children with work when im not in work. It still all seems quite surreal Xx

      Delete
  22. Your travelogue is wonderful! I shall re-read to thrill my eyes. Your purchases are gorgeous. The green sun dress is such a vibrant colour. I managed to watch Bombay Talkie in full on YouTube. I had forgotten just how gorgeous Shashi Kapoor was! Sorry that your festivals and markets are cancelling. All the best, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carole! Shashi Kapoor is enough to take anyone's mind off these strange times! I'm glad you managed to watch Bombay Talkie, I think I'll have a marathon Bollywood session soon and dance around the lounge. xxx

      Delete
  23. It's weird seeing all of the corona madness as things are pretty normal where I am, but I'm grateful for your regular posting as it's a breath of fresh air compared to all the doom and gloom everywhere else! That's a real shame about your cancelled fairs and festivals though, I do often wonder how this will affect small businesses in the long run. I love your positivity though! You got some wonderful things in India too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it strange to watch all the chaos on social media and the TV news only to walk into town and see life continue as usual - I suppose that's why it's taken everyone so long to heed to experts advice as the panic buying and mass hysteria seems like a world away.
      I completely understand the need to cancel everything and I'm thankful that we paid off the mortgage and saved some money before we decided to go self-employed. It's going to cripple so many people. xxx

      Delete
  24. Thank you so much Vix. I enjoyed travelling with you to India so much!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me on my travels, Tina! x

      Delete
  25. Reading my favourite blogs is one way I;m going to stay sane over the next few months!
    I love that you recognised a few cats from our last visit, there is something very reassuring about that :)
    Great purchases too. I hope you get to go back to Greece in September, I'd hate to think this madness was will still be going on then
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping everything crossed for Greece, I've even bought an idiot's guide to conversational Greek to keep me occupied during lockdown! xxx

      Delete
  26. Everything looks fantastic – the colours, shabby chic-ness, buildings and food. It’s almost dinnertime and now I’m craving a curry!

    Your finds from India look lovely all lined up and Jon looks great in his new shirt and jeans. Hopefully he’ll be able to wear them on holiday in Autumn. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. India is so lovely, I'd so happy we managed to enjoy our trip before all this craziness! x

      Delete
  27. Oooh how I loved that area... I want to go back now. I'm so glad you got to have your holiday before everything went bonkers - and hopefully you'll go back next year and everything will be normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mumbai does look beautiful - it was the featured location in one of the episodes of Chef David Chang's "Ugly Delicious" Netflix show. I've so enjoyed tagging along vicariously on your amazing trip. Thanks so much for the posts. I'm working from home now, which is challenging, and rather lonely. I'm used to being alone a lot, but most of my social interaction comes from work, which I don't have now, so am relying on social media, texts, and FaceTime. Keep well you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see if I can find that show, I do enjoy a bit of armchair travel.
      Stay sane and keep in touch, Shelley. It must help having a gorgeous feline companion. xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix