Friday 4 October 2019

Village People - Exploring The Hill Town of Lákones



After all the tourists return home, there's only around fifty people left in Paleokastritsa, most of the Corfiots who work there live in the hill town of Lákones, a 4 km hike from the seafront.


With the finest views of Paleokastritsa said to be seen from Lákones, we took advantage of our hire car and visited this precariously perched balcony-village via a twisty paved road with a terrifyingly sheer drop into the Ionian Sea beneath it. Not the most relaxing of driving experiences for someone who hates heights as much as Jon does, I think we'll take the less lazy option next time! 


 Our first stop was for a nerve-calming iced coffee, served on the terrace of the village bakery and, with Lákones not being a tourist spot, the bill was a fraction of the price of the tavernas at the bottom of the hill. From our seats we watched as a number of villagers tended to their plots on the slopes beneath. Most Greeks are self-sufficient, growing their own produce and, when the short five month tourist season comes to a close, their only income is generated from their olive trees but this year has been drier than usual and poor for olive production . Sadly, it looks like being a harsh winter for the Corfiots.





All over Corfu you'll find these death announcements pasted up on telegraph poles. Sadly our knowledge of written Greek is non-existent so I'm unable to tell you if the locals live long lives but judging by the locals we passed in Lákones, I think they probably do.














I have an obsession with photographing old doorways and windows, have you noticed?








I don't use the internet on my travels -  you'll never find me posting on social media when I'm away - but when I got home I googled houses for sale in Lákones and was amazed to find this pretty 18th Century stone dwelling that I'd photographed up for sale at just €55,000. I'm seriously tempted, imagine that view every day of your life and being able to escape bloody Brexit! Fancy joining me?


Meanwhile, back in Paleokastritsa.....

WEARING: 1990s Diesel shirt, 1950s novelty print leisure shirt, contemporary striped shirt with pastel coloured shorts (all charity shopped) and his beloved Birkenstocks.

The Paleo Inn had a perfect little spot for posing before going out for the evening. Packing-wise, I wore everything I packed - I could have got away with taking less but after years of backpacking it's fun to have options!

WEARING: Vintage Mexican maxi dress (2016, birthday present), 1970s Indian cotton block print halterneck (June, 2019, eBay), 1970s Dollyrockers maxi (2011, vintage fair) with a Moroccan tasselled clutch (2018, charity shop)

None of the other (predominately Brit) residents used this terrace, preferring to lie round the swimming pool downstairs - our idea of holiday hell. On the way back from the beach we'd buy a can of beer from the local shop and sunbathe undisturbed up here until sunset.


Although a basic breakfast was included in with our accommodation (toast, butter, jam, juice and coffee or tea) we preferred to buy fruit & Greek yogurt from the local shop and eat breakfast on our terrace and, as we always travel with a kettle and Pukka tea bags, made hot drinks whenever we wanted them. On the days we went exploring we ate Greek salad for lunch and on our beach days took a picnic of village bread, tomatoes, tzatziki and olive pate.


Each and every taverna in Paleokastritsa offers wonderful food (and we've tried most of them!) Sometimes we'd forego a big dinner and order a variety of vegetarian appetisers to share - cheese sagnaki, plaka gigantes, courgette fritters, stuffed vine leaves, oven baked feta cheese, aubergine salad, village mushrooms and the ubiquitous Greek chips! Vegetarian food was plentiful so if Jon, a carnivore, fancied a meaty option (slow roasted lamb shank or mixed gyros which he'd share with any passing cat) I'd have vegan moussaka, briam (roasted, seasonal vegetables) or herby rice stuffed tomatoes & peppers ...yum!


A new discovery for us was the village red wine, served chilled with added ice cubes. A carafe cost around €4.50. It went down a treat.

Cheers, Corfu - you were a joy!



Now we're back to yet more political turmoil, rubbish weather and depressingly dark mornings & evenings not to mention spiders the size of saucers and armies of slugs & snails creeping up the windows. Between downpours we've been working in the garden like demons as well as getting stuck into some serious vintage hunting and subsequent laundering and mending in readiness for this Autumn's vintage fairs. Hopefully I should have booked our next flight outta here before the end of next week.

See you soon!

45 comments:

  1. Another lovely adventure in Greece. That food!! I cannot believe how cheap that home was....likely they just want someone to pay the taxes on the home. Driving in Greece is always an adventure, even for those who already drive on the right side of the road :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greek food is the best - I could eat a Greek salad every day for the rest of my life!
      There's so little employment opportunities in Greece so it keeps the property prices low. I'd love a bolthole to escape to! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow! More beautiful pix. The ones of the food are making me hungry! Every outfit you're wearing is stunning and absolutely perfect for this vacation.You are a packing genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if i ever can cut off with the railroad cottage i´ll come with you to corfu!!
    love your window & door pic obsession - fab photos. and you do look picture perfect in your greek national colors outfit....
    the food is right up my alley, vegetarian or not :D
    you both wore cool stuff for the evenings! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. we had the same experience at the hotel in Athens, the only people on the terrace. After a hot day and pleasant dinner, we'd head back to the small hotel, get some beers from the bar and sit on the (bug free)terrace watching the lights on the Parthenon, random fireworks going off, listening to the opera from the theatre and enjoying the area. What's a night club?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first outfit with the white blouse with blue details and a blue maxi skirt just screams Greece to me. I love your holiday style. You matched your destination perfectly. Greece does look beautiful. I can understand your fascination with old doors and windows, I tend to take a lot of photographs of them too. It is great to see something truly unique, especially if one doesn't see it very often. Wood doors and window frames are becoming increasingly rare, especially antique ones. I always enjoy your travel series.

    Fabulous evening looks. I love all your 3 maxi dresses. You look beautiful in each one, really perfect vacation looks. Lovely photos on the terrace...and how nice you had it all to yourselves. The tourist who didn't make use of it, it's their loss, isn't it? I could never understand those tourist who just sit by the pool- all the time. What's the point of going on a vacation someplace if that's all you're going to do. But to each his own, right? I like nothing better than exploring the area, I really can't imagine being stuck by the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooden windows and doors are becoming scare here in the UK, most people prefer the ease of UPVC sadly (except us, of course!) I love the colours of the paintwork bleached out in the sun, too - so much character!
      I'm so with you on tourists who just lie around a hotel pool all day and come home saying that they've "done" a country when they've spent their holiday doing nothing and the only contact they've had with the locals is allowing them to wait on them or clean their rooms, such a wasted opportunity! xxx

      Delete
    2. I couldn't agree more, that kind of tourism is basically a wasted opportunity for cultural growth. Wooden widows and doors have a soul to them, and even though PVC is more practical in some ways, it is never a good fit for historical or traditional houses, it just never looks right. I used to paint the wood on my grandmother's windows and doors (and chairs and all kind of wood furniture) every summer, I have such fond memories of those times.

      Delete
  6. I have enjoyed seeing your photographs and I am in awe at how you manage to stay looking so stylish throughout your time away. It's not something I manage to do on holiday, or at any time for that matter. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much, Jules! I'm sure that's not true! xxx

      Delete
  7. What in the name of hades is it with those spiders? I came down the other day to find a huge beast drowned in the dogs water bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found a frog swimming in the cats' water bowl last week!!! xxx

      Delete
  8. 55 Euros for a house? Surely that can't be right? 55K Euros? Houses in my city are $500K - 1.6 million!!

    I love all the pictures of the doors and archways (and hello, bum-licking white cat! ha ha!). If it wasn't so difficult and LONG for me to get to Europe, I'd be over more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally typed 55€ until one of my friend's pointed out the error! That house was 55K, the average UK house price is 260,000€ (not where I live though, fortunately!) xxx

      Delete
  9. I loved joining you on your day trip to Lákones, but I'm sure I would have needed that iced coffee to steady my nerves as well. I'm always photographing windows and doorways as well. It's good thing I've already had my dinner, as those food photos had me salivating. And what a lovely spot for outfit photos! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for Jon to cook tea and I'm starving after revisiting this post! xxx

      Delete
  10. That Dollyrockers dress is one of my favourites of yours. I'm sure you two were the best dressed tourists there.

    I love how you've always got another vacation to look forward to.

    We went from extreme heat (36 C) at the beginning of the week to near zero temps this morning. Thankfully it's warmed up again but fall is just around the corner and I'm sure winter is right on its heels.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Dollyrockers dress is a firm favourite, it seems to crop up on Ebay quite often here!
      What a change of temperature. Today has been mostly dry, what a massive difference it makes to everyone's mood! xxx

      Delete
  11. What a lovely place. I too love the doors and windows but it's the colours that do it for me....just beautiful.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd join you in a second in that beautiful house in that lovely village on that wonderful island!

    Lakones looks fabulous and as for the delicious food; I was dribbling on the keyboard!

    The cat made me laugh out loud; it's either she is just chillaxed or she's being very, very rude!

    Jon and you looked wonderful as always and I really love the Mexican maxi and those fab sandals you're wearing with your skirt and top.

    England must seem pretty dismal after the beauty; sunshine and light of Corfu. And as for Brexit; it makes me want to emigrate to Ireland!

    Hope you have a good week ahead.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, you'd be great company!!
      What a welcome back, all that incessant Brexit tripe. At least it spurred me on and I've sorted out our next escape. God knows what we'll have to apologise for this time. xxx

      Delete
  13. What a life- living in that pink house. I can just imagine you and Jon having the time of your lives. Would you really move to a different country?

    I love your outfits by the terrace, and Jon’s too.

    All your food pictures have me drooling – yum!

    Another adventure planned! Where are you off to next? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love to live elsewhere, this country is getting worse and worse since the disastrous referendum!
      India next - I did debate another destination but I couldn't help myself! xxx

      Delete
  14. These photos are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been catching up on your travelogue. It looks like you had a lovely break but I'm with Jon about heights and totally empathise with him about those hairy Greek roads! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Greek roads are very scary! I'm quite glad I can't drive! x

      Delete
  16. Sounds lovely ive never been to greece before. I think you'd have a lot of people sick of Brexit wanting to join you lol, me included. Can you drink the water in Greece? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ought to go to Greece, so many beautiful islands and the mainland is gorgeous, too. The food and people are wonderful.
      You can't drink the water but the bottled stuff is cheap and you're okay brushing your teeth and using tap water in the kettle. xxx

      Delete
  17. I like a good old doorway or window photo, I like to wonder what is behind them.
    I rather like red wine with ice cubes, I tried it for the first time in my early twenties in South Africa, they do not understand with our obsession of drinking it at room temperature, they thought we were mad!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why we do serve red at room temperature, it's much better with ice cubes (says the women who used to be in charge of fine dining and is a qualified sommelier!) xxx

      Delete
  18. I've loved these posts about Corfú, the landscapes are amazing and love how you share your adventures and views, and those pics of old doors and windows (I'm a huge fan of old doors too!).
    Lovely to see the white houses, the stairs, the atmosphere and also the food and wine!. And you look so gorgeous in your summery dresses!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! I'm already excited about my next door and window photographing adventures in January! xxx

      Delete
  19. Ooooooooooooooooooooooh, that food DOES look good!! Envious!! Lovely to see beautiful Corfu again! I am glad you were there again! That house sounds a bargain! I say YES, buy it! And I'll be over next year!!! Ha ha! Your outfit choices were brilliant- gorgeous maxis!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You'd be most welcome!! Greek food is just sublime, I love it! xxx

      Delete
  20. Wow! Your photos are very nice! Seems like you really enjoyed the trip. Made me wanna visit Greece. Waiting for your next trips! :)


    Saw your blog and thought if you would like to follow each other? Follow me and I'll follow back asap. Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear something from you! :)
    www.cielofernando.com
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, to be able to eat those glorious meals with a clear conscience, knowing one had worked off any excess calories climbing stairs. (Why aren't there videos of climbing these stairs on the screens of those torture devices at my gym?) And, yes, there's much to be said for ice cubes added to local cheap red wine...
    Welcome back to rude reality, Vix and Jon. Can't begin to match your holiday pix; however, if there's a spider competition I've some North American Wolf specimens that scare the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That food is a real incentive to get moving - I was swimming miles with the thought of what we were going to have for dinner!
      Not keen on the sound of your spiders one little bit! xxx

      Delete
  22. Congratulations Vix on 10 fabulous years of your blog, style and travelogues. Yours is one of the best blogs around.
    I’m going to take your advice on getting rid of stuff if it’s not working. I have been ruthless earlier this year but could do with another cull now.
    My style changes by the day. The neighbours say we love to see what’s you’re wearing and I love to keep them guessing, swinging from 50’s-70’s to urchin to fling it all on and see what works haha.
    No chance of us gals being invisible is there.
    Much love to you both xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What stunning views sandwiched between blue skies and azure waters. That charming house is so tempting and would be just perfect as a base for a summer getaway. How boring for those who sit by a pool all day waiting to be served. Couldn't think of anything worse as I have itchy, wandering feet and a need to explore. The food looks delicious. The Greeks really are masters at vegetable dishes. The stuffed peppers and tomatoes are a regular favourite at chez mois. All your dresses are beautiful, your white and blue skirt most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix