Sunday 4 August 2019

New Kids on the Block - Latest Wardrobe Additions



I'm still utterly obsessed with vintage Indian block prints but as they don't come cheap I've been rifling through my wardrobe, selling off old favourites and using the profits to add to my burgeoning collection. The great thing about having a 99% vintage wardrobe is that (provided you don't wash and wear your clothes to death) you'll always get your money back and,  provided you buy at the right price, there's a good chance you'll double, or even treble, your initial investment.

WEARING: 1970s Indian-made block printed halterneck maxi with a posh Italian leather clutch bag made in Florence (£1,charity clearance shop)


 This 1970s halterneck was bought from the profits from a psychedelic catsuit I'd owned since 2010. I'd fully intended to save it for September's Greek getaway but it seemed an absolute crime not to wear it for Jon's pre-birthday curry last night.

WEARING: India Imports of Rhode Island maxi skirt with a fringed body suit (charity shopped in 2015) and a vintage Yemeni pendant

This India Imports of Rhode Island tiered skirt replaces two psychedelic polyester maxi skirts. It fits like a dream, although I had to lop 6 inches off the hem before I could wear it as I didn't want to risk a broken hip. I'm not the tallest person in the world but the previous owner must have been a giant with a penchant for massive platforms.

WEARING: Early 70s Anokhi sun dress worn with Native American choker (car boot sale, pre-2000) and Lotta from Stockholm clogs

This vintage Anokhi sundress is faded to perfection. I'm amazed I managed to snag it at the Buy-it-Now before anyone else did but I suppose the 30" bust put most of the opposition off. Although not cheap, it was a third of the going rate for early 1970s Anokhi and the two Summer dresses I'd not worn for a couple of years soon paid for my splurge.

WEARING: Tablecloth mini dress and a Rajastani pendant threaded on to a Banjara dowry necklace.

My lovely friend Katy sent me a gorgeous vintage Indian-made block printed tablecloth but I decided that it needed to be refashioned into a bastard massive sleeved mini dress instead. Table linen isn't really a thing at Stonecroft.

My block print obsession has grown so much that I've now dedicated an entire wardrobe to my collection. I love opening the doors drinking in the rich colours and revelling in the poetry of the prints.


Between festivals, when I'm not adding to my personal collection, we're trawling the Black Country hunting down choice stock for Kinky Melon's Retro Boutique's rails. Although we frequently despair at the seemingly endless rails of cheap 'n' nasty fast fashion it does making spotting a gem a lot easier - quality stands out a mile.

Clockwise from top left: Printed cotton retro playsuit; Jessica McClintock for Gunne Sax child's dress; 1970s velvet blazer by Feminella; 1960s leather waistcoat; Retro mini dress; 1970s St Michael pillar box red wool jacket; 1980s Sierra Designs of London printed cotton jacket; 1980s leisure shirt; 1980s Eastex midi skirt; 1980s English-made Santman day dress; Child's dashiki; 1980s gauzy Indian cotton midi skirt
Clockwise from top left: Oriane of Capri, 1960s psychedelic skirt suit; 1950s embroidered French folk dress; 1960s Hawaiian barkcloth maxi; Embroidered Egyptian cotton kaftan; Belted jumpsuit; 1970s tab collar blouse; 1970s St Michael peasant top; Anokhi crinkle skirt
Clockwise from top left: Indian embellished silk dress; 1980s suede waistcoat; 1940s raglan sleeve wool overcoat (from a Walsall menswear shop that ceased trading in the 1950s); 1950s cotton day dress; Handmade gypsy top; Floral jumpsuit; 1980s Shantung silk blazer; 1970s fake sheepskin coat; Flamenco dress; 1980s Escada embroidered jacket
Must dash, I've got 25 wired vintage fabric headbands to stitch and a van to pack - it's Jon's birthday tomorrow and we want to spend the day celebrating not sorting festival stock, that's far too much like hard work!



See you soon!

47 comments:

  1. Your wardrobe has always been swoon-worthy but all those indian prints are to die for. Never find any good vintage any more back home. You are always so lucky. Wishing Jon a happy birthday when it comes. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! Good vintage is getting less and less - we went to a new town yesterday and were appalled by both the Primarni overload and the insane prices! xxx

      Delete
  2. That vintage Anohki number is GORGEOUS. I had a couple of sundresses back in the 70s cut like that, though not block printed. My faves came from Spectrum in Kensington Church Street, which was one of the few affordable (to me as an impecunious teen), shops that offered a size 16. Out of curiosity I often look for the label online but, unlike Laura Ashley, who were vaguely comparable, they never seem to come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fig! I didn't need another sundress but I HAD TO HAVE IT!!!!
      Spectrum sounded like a bit of a treasure trove, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for something by them. xxx

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the 1970s halterneck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wardrobe. You've got some nice pieces for sale too. The pink pilgrim collar dress reminds me of a mad moment I had when I bought a pilgrim collar shirt, it got lopped off! Sacrilege I know for a lovely vintage piece but it left me with a shirt I now love.
    That skirt was so long, who must have had it before? The mind boggles. I love the dress you wore for Jon's birthday curry, happy birthday to him.
    Saw James on the poster for your next festival, a bit of a favourite of mine :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sometimes feel a bit guilty for messing with vintage but far better to be able to wear it and feel good rather than it to languish unloved. I don't see much vintage for children, worn to death, I expect so was excited to find that Gunne Sax.
      Its a decent line-up, isn't it? Love James, too (we share so many musical tastes!) xxx

      Delete
  5. I do love your Indian block print dresses, I am surprised I rarely see anything like that here in Canada. Have a wonderful time at the festival - I hope the weather is a little bit nicer for you this weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These vintage block prints are quite rare, the prices they're commanding on Etsy are eye watering - keep your eyes peeled! xxx

      Delete
  6. Vintage Anokhi, obviously I love it! the glimpse of your packed wardrobe is delicioius - if you could make a therapy immersion tank of colour and texture - that's what your wardrobe would be! so sensible to sell and restock, no point in wasting space with things you no longer love - somebody elses treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that Anokhi dress precious? I haven't seen a pink & purple one before so I had to have it!! xxx

      Delete
    2. pink and purple first time I've seen too, wonder if there might be prints like this in Delhi when we visit.

      Delete
  7. That block printed halterneck maxi is a thing of beauty and looks utterly amazing on you. And of course you had to wear it for Jon's pre-birthday curry. Happy birthday to Jon! The colours of that 70s Anokhi sun dress are simply divine, and how fabulous is your tablecoth couture, massive sleeved mini dress! It shows off your amazing legs to perfection, by the way. Above all, I love the glimpse into your block print wardrobe. I'd be opening its doors all the time just to drink it all in. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I love a halterneck and thought it was a bit daft to save it for Greece when the weather's been warm enough to go without coats! xxx

      Delete
  8. An early Happy Birthday to Jon!

    Your newest additions fit you perfectly and as usual look perfect on you. The tablecloth dress is particularly fab.

    Wishing you brisk sales for your next show.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! We're finally packed and ready for an early start tomorrow, just need to pack my own clothes, never easy! xxx

      Delete
  9. I love that skirt in the first photo.
    You are a tiny person but a dynamic and energetic one! I have not had a 30 in bust since before it was actually a bust, just a kid's chest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! That's a lovely thing to say. xxx

      Delete
  10. Your new dresses and skirt are gorgeous!!! The first one is really magical! I went to my friend Juliette's tent yesterday and she had an Anouki for East dress hanging in her awning and I said, "Ooooh, Anouki!" and told her about you- she told me she'd boought it in a charity shop! It looks so nice on her- she wore it for our ceilidh last night!
    It's really nice you can sell your old clothes to fund new. I've got a few vintage things I would love to be able to sell but I dread eBay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kezzie. Can't beat a bit of Anokhi - old or new, they make the most gorgeous clothes!
      eBay is great 99% of the time but it's much easier selling at festivals! xxx

      Delete
  11. You have amassed a stellar collection of block-print cotton garments! Your latest acquisitions are lovely; the sundress is one of the prettiest dresses I've seen. Nice job on the table cloth dress too. I really like the jumpsuit you found with the white background and yellow straps. If I was smaller, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! I've always sold them in the past and instantly regretted it - this time I'm keeping everything I can lay my hands on.
      I love that jumpsuit! xxx

      Delete
  12. You look positively radiant in that halterneck dress and love how you've paired it with the green clutch. Blue and green must always be seen. I too am obsessed with indian maxis and block prints, both new and old. I get how frustrating it is to have to hem up skirts - at 5'3" nearly all my maxi dresses have to be hemmed up. Thankfully, I have my mother, my nimble seamstress, who is a master at alterations. She has saved me a pretty penny over the years. Absolutely love the ensemble of finery you have displayed in your trousseau. The burst of colour is so enticing and beckons the spotlight. All kudos to you for being able to transform a tablecloth into such a cute dress. You definitely have the pins for it. Your recent additions look great. A few there I'd like for myself. I get how frustrating it is to find beautiful pieces. The diamonds in the chaff are becoming rare as too many of us are hunting for the treasures. Anyway, thankfully a lot of the young folk over here have moved on to the absolutely ugly 80's fashion and re-selling their 1960-70's stuff (to which I am only to happy to acquire). Happy, happy B'day to Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzy! Indian block prints are just wonderful, aren't they? With all the mass produced tat available these it's wonderful to clothe ourselves in beautiful one-off artisan made clothes, isn't it?
      You're lucky to have a skillful mother to take up your skirts - a job that takes me an age as there's so much fabric! I'm a whole half inch taller than you!!
      The 1980s is huge at the moment - I quite enjoy looking at the prints but the style isn't my bag either! xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday to Jon!
    I would swoon opening that wardrobe each day at all those beautiful items of clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can imagine the joy of opening your India wardrobe, everything about it is special. The patterns, the colours the fabrics so tactile and the embellishments all bliss and I like the idea of having a dedicated wardrobe. I sometimes put my wardrobe in order of colour or short sleeve and long sleeve but I’ve not done style sorting. Think I’ll give it a whirl.
    Happy birthday to lovely Jon. Give him a kiss from me and enjoy your day.
    Lots of love from is two xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a dedicated wardrobe - hopefully it'll keep me on the straight and narrow as I can check how much I've got already before I splurge (famous last words!!)
      Jon says thank you! xxx

      Delete
  15. My eyes popped open at the sight of your wardrobe filled with block printed treasures! Wow, wow, wow!

    The 1970s velvet blazer by Feminella you’ve scored is so gorgeous, quality indeed.

    Happy happy birthday to Jon! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon wants me to keep that blazer - I'm tempted! xxx

      Delete
  16. can i sit in your blockprint wardrobe for a while.....please!
    totally understand your obsession! so much beauty.
    love the tablecloth mini tunic!!
    the festival crowd gets a lot of cool stuff at kinky melon - well done hunting treasures......
    wish you a fab time at lakefest!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh....that blue maxi skirt......I literally stroked the screen....it's gorgeous.
    I was going charity shop hunting last week but we had car trouble which has now rolled over into this week...dang it.
    Wish Jon a Happy Birthday from me.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila - he had a fab time. Oh no, hope the car sorts itself out soon and you can go charity shopping! x

      Delete
  18. I hope Jon had a great birthday!

    That's one wonderful block print collection you've built up... I'll keep an eye out for it for you, but I doubt I'll spot any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mim - they are very rare out in the wild but you never know!
      Change of plan for Jon's birthday, the original all day boozefest turned into a National Trust visit and a late lunch but he had fun! xxx

      Delete
  19. You look so gorgeous in every of your new adquisitions!, you make them shine with fabulousness! the halterneck, the cute sundress!!
    I'm actually enthusiastic about your collection, it looks so colorful and the fabrics look so delightful!
    And totally agree that 'quality stands out a mile' (lots of crap in usual second hand stalls here) so it's lovely to see so many cool pieces you've found!
    Hope Jon and you enjoyed a fab celebration!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do worry that I'm becoming a fabric snob with my growing collection of vintage cotton dresses although the 1970s synthetics still have a place when i'm at festivals! xxx

      Delete
  20. Gorgeous colors in the block print collection -- but I'd hang that 1960s Hawaiian bark cloth maxi on a wall and call it art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best not to try that dress on, I know I'll want to keep it! x

      Delete
  21. I'm a little bit in love with your tablecloth dress! I'm very into the idea of using money from selling old clothes to buy new, it could be the way forward, although I don't have a stock of vintage to sell and make a profit on, the idea is solid.
    Hope Jon has a very Happy Birthday!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is great to be able to turn a profit on your wardrobe and chop and change your collection for almost free. I often do it with shoes - if I covert a new pair I'll list a few pairs from my non-vintage collection on eBay and I can buy the pair of my dreams! x

      Delete
  22. I love your seventies Indian print maxi dress. The maxi skirt is just as gorgeous...and the . Who can compete with a 30 inch bust? I don't think I had one when I was 10. You always find the best things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! The joys of having a small bust! xxx

      Delete
  23. I just saw this on Etsy and immediately thought of you (though it is probably too big for you, I still thought I'd link to it): https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/713122802/90s-vintage-indian-embroidered-bohemian?ref=shop_home_active_3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix