Sunday 2 June 2019

A Change Is Gonna Come - A Style Shift


And another week races past. Do forgive my slackness in the blogging department. As festival season rapidly approaches I'm consumed with preparation. We're working at eight festivals, that's almost two months on the road. The stockroom (aka The Kinky Shed) is so full that there's rails of clothing cluttering up the dining room and I don't even know how many hours I've spent ironing this week, buying seventeen mens' shirts from the Bank Holiday car boot sale certainly didn't help. Today, I'll mainly be tackling the mending pile, it's almost as tall as me!

Recent car boot finds include an array of psychedelic linen shirts and these vintage platform shoes, bought from the original owner who wore them for his wedding on 5th June, 1976

Anyway, enough of work, let's talk about vintage clothes, my favourite subject. For years I've felt like my wardrobe is divided into two halves, the clothes I wear in India, the all-natural fabrics, block prints & earthy tones and the loud flamboyant frocks and heels I wear at home. Since I got back from my travels this time I've had a real shift in how I feel I want to adorn my body. Other than my two pairs of 1970s platform soled boots, I've got rid of all my high heels and there's nothing over 2" on my shoe rack now. I want to postpone my next hip replacement for as long as I possibly can so by throwing my body off-balance with silly shoes is just plain daft. Who needs wobbly heels when you can have a rainbow of pleasingly chunky wooden Lotta clogs?



Whilst I love the impact of my synthetic, psychedelic gear and how immensely flattering it is to be constantly asked to pose for photos when I'm out and about - it's my block printed, laid-back, all cotton clothing that recently feels more like me. Going through my wardrobe last week I ousted several old favourites - a couple of Frank Usher maxis, three 1970s polyester halterneck maxis and a glorious American 1960s psych print sundress I'd bought on eBay in 2004. Of course, unlike modern clothes, providing you bought at the right price, you'll always get your money back on vintage clothes and all six of those dresses are now on Kinky's rails awaiting new homes.


In line with my one in, three out policy I've added two new-to-me cotton dresses to my wardrobe - it'd be a crying shame to waste those spare hangers!  Looking at that vibrant peacock blue colour, I knew this maxi was quality when I spotted it listed on eBay as a Buy-It-Now or Best Offer. I was a bit cheeky offering just two-thirds of the asking price but to my delight the seller accepted. I was amazed when it turned up, what I thought was a print was actually a hand sewn patchwork skirt. I can't find anything out about the designer, Gabrielle Fouell or the Siam Fabrics Company, but the few pieces I've found online sell for £££s.....


Which is no surprise judging by the quality of this dress. Check out the contrasting yellow stitching on the breast pockets, the razor sharp collars, the covered buttons, the bi-fold cuffs and the finish on the reverse of the patchwork skirt. Can you imagine how much something like this would cost new?


This dream of an Indian block printed maxi by the much sought after original hippie label, India Imports of Rhode Island was another eBay buy. The company started in 1968 and continued trading under that name until 1975, eventually changing its name to Adini in 1977. I got this dress for good price for a couple of reasons, firstly the auction finished on a Bank Holiday when most people take their eyes off the ball and the second being what I like to call the God of Small Things factor. The dress is an XS, a smaller than average size and, as all vintage traders will tell you, titchy sizes are tremendously hard to sell. Brilliant when I'm buying for my personal collection as I'm not getting in a bidding war with the resellers!


Talking of Bank Holiday bargains I bagged both these 1970s sheepskin collared suede jackets last weekend. I was only going to buy one until I saw the price. They exchange hands for silly money in the winter months. I did intend to add them to the stockroom but I might have to keep them! I've been known to spend more on a round of beer in Wetherspoons.
WEARING: 1960s cheesecloth tunic, handmade patchwork maxi (reclaimed from the stockroom) & a vintage tooled leather belt
1970s-inspired fashion has been a thing for a while and much copied by the high street. I've taken advantage of this trend and bought the odd contemporary piece from charity shops but, after wearing these garments a few times, I've decided that they weren't such a good idea. Those half-arsed repro styles cheapen my original pieces and the quality is crap. Back off to the charity shop go an emerald green top from Zara (great colour but it had an elasticated waistband which would never stay tucked into a skirt), a ethnic print trumpet sleeved blouse (made from a particularly unpleasant synthetic), a shirred blue tunic top (in the same fabric) and a white TopShop ruffled cotton blouse which was really pretty but an utter bastard to iron. The 1960s cheesecloth embroidered tunic I'm wearing is a replacement for those four duff pieces. The fabric is gorgeous, it's been embroidered by hand and its actually hip length so it doesn't need tucking in every time I draw a breath.


One thing that never changes is my love for tribal jewellery. People tell me that they can hear me approach before they see me. Last week I joined an ethnic jewellery group on Facebook (link HERE) and spent ages scrolling through some incredible photos of women adorned in their traditional jewellery. I was most captivated by the heavy silver pieces worn by the Yemeni nomadic tribes but after browsing Etsy and Ebay realised that not only were they incredibly rare, they were well out of my price range.

WEARING: Late 1960s Pakistani block printed cotton kaftan with Lamani jewellery collected over 20 years of visiting India

SOURCE

Imagine my delight when, less than 24 hours later, a small collection of Yemeni jewellery popped up on an online selling group for a very reasonable price. Chatting to the seller it turned out that her late father-in-law had travelled extensively in the region during the late 1970s and had brought them back for her sister-in-law who had recently passed away. When the lady asked for my address she couldn't believe her eyes, her dear sister-in-law had been born in Walsall, it was almost like it was meant to be.


Not only do they tinkle like crazy, the slave bangles weigh a ton. I'll have muscles like Popeye by the end of summer! 
WEARING: 1970s pure silk Indian-made kaftan

The members of the jewellery forum are a knowledgeable lot but, like a lot of antique dealers I know, can be a bit condescending, rubbishing people's prize finds and declaring them Chinese fakes. I thought I'd be brave and ask about Mum's silver bangle on which I'd cut my teeth as a baby - fully expecting to be told it was mass-produced tourist tat from North Africa although having been a teething toddler over half a century ago, at least I knew it wasn't modern!


To my absolute shock and amazement, although the bangle itself is a generic silver piece, the disc is actually a solid silver coin from the Moghul Empire. Further investigations revealed that it was made during the reign of Aurangzeb (1658 -1707) the son of Shah Jahan who built the Taj Mahal. My mind is officially blown! I haven't worn it for ages as the bangle needs soldering - I'm definitely going to get it fixed now.

Got to dash, the mending pile awaits. I may be some time.

See you soon!

64 comments:

  1. What a fabulous collection of shades of blue dresses (my fav colour on you). I too no longer wear very high heels - not worth it at this point in life. Find what you love and go with it = and you obviously like ethnic jewellery and beautiful pieces of well made clothing, you have such a fabulous eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! High heels aren't worth it, ditto restrictive clothing and tight underwear - nothing's worth suffering for! xxx

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful read! I’ve never been about to wear anything more than a one or two inch heel because I seem to walk like the late John Wayne. I know I will end up with some kind of bilateral knee and foot injury.
    The jewelry is beautiful. I would love to add my more to my silver to what I have already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's taken me a long time to realise that heels aren't doing my body any favours. Wearing flatties and lower heels makes me feel different, a bit feistier and cheekier!
      You can never have too much silver! xxx

      Delete
  3. Your block-printed cotton dresses are so you, so I totally get the style shift! Love your new additions, that peacock blue patchwork and the Indian block-printed maxi both more than deserve a hanger in your wardrobe. Your row of colourful Lotta clogs made me smile! I too have ditched most of my heels. The odd ones I'm still keeping are purely for sentimental reasons. You're looking utterly gorgeous in that 1960s cheesecloth blouse and patchwork maxi skirt! And how amazing that the disc on your Mum's silver bangle turned out to be a piece of history. No wonder your mind is blown! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I do love my Lottas, it took me years to get around to investing in a pair and now I'm addicted! xxx

      Delete
  4. that haul of men's shirts and matching coats! You do manage to find the coolest pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I never tire of hunting for treasure! xxx

      Delete
  5. I love how amazing you look in whatever the heck you choose to wear. I love that very first dress. It's a stunner

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, what a surprise about your Mum's bracelet!! You have a keen eye for beauty, be it the 70s fashion or authentic folk dresses. WE all grow and change at our own pace. I've noticed the shift in your style, first with clogs, then with cotton dresses, and I really think it suits you - it is still vibrant and unique, but more down-to-earth and very soulful...which suits the person that you are on the inside, as I sense it, especially from your posts about India. Love your collection of colorful clogs and the embroidered green blouse. Your style shift topic also resonates with me since I found my wardrobe almost unwearable since I started storytelling on regular basis. I am still figuring out the style which will feel authentic to me, but that's a theme for my blog. :)

    Have fun getting ready for the festival season! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much, Natalia! Our wardrobes need to reflect who were are, don't they? Whilst I love wearing my flamboyant stuff for work, I've realised that my off-duty self is a bit more laid back and easy going than I once was, hence my more muted, earthy toned clothing.
      I totally understand why you need to adapt your style to your storytelling persona. xxx

      Delete
  7. Justin was also blown away about your jewelry piece with the ancient coin - he said congratulate you from him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this post and I liked reading about your evolving thoughts on purchasing fast fashion repro pieces.

    That blue cotton dress is stunning on you and the green blouse with the handmade maxi is simply wonderful.

    I really *wish* my feet liked clogs better because they are darn cute and as you've showcased, they come in some wonderful colours.

    I cannot imagine wearing that much heavy jewellery. My whole body would be aching and sore for days. It looks incredible on you though.

    Fabulous story to go along with your coin bangle.

    Hope the mending goes quickly.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Suzanne, I'm glad you enjoyed my musings.
      I was worried that I wouldn't get on with the Lottas but I cannot believe how comfy they are. my first pair were the low version and all my others are the higher type, I can walk for miles without hip pain or blisters (the bane of my life!) xxx

      Delete
  9. How cool to find out something new about your old bracelet - that coin is so old! I love that you're owning your new style, Vix. You look amazing, and comfortable and YOU. Style is a fluid thing, and it's great to see how each person's look evolves. Love the new dresses - that patchwork one is lovely! What detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still keep looking at that coin and gasping in astonishment!
      You're right, style is a fluid thing and we shouldn't be afraid to stray from what we've always worn. xxx

      Delete
  10. I think every one has there price point when shopping. It been well over 15 years ago I was in San Francisco found a beautiful white sweater just under $200 american funds went to what we call a thrift store same thing, just about $5
    Wish you the best in the up coming shows.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you mind telling me which ethnic jewellery group you've found useful, I have a massive collection from my travels and some of it I'd love to know more about. I think your block print pieces really are stunning. Good luck with the festivals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynette. I've just added a link to the group. Hope it helps! x

      Delete
    2. Hope you're enjoying it! x

      Delete
  12. Well, I had to skip down immediately to see that block print dress- DIVINE!
    And those Yemeni pieces are spectacular!
    But the prize really is your Mum's silver bangle - who'd have thought that was a genuine Mughal coin! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to wear that dress but it's just been too damned wet! Arghh! xxx

      Delete
  13. Such a great post Vix! I loved reading how your style preferences are leaning towards more natural fibers. AND comfort. Your clog collection is wonderful. I'd love to have a pair of clogs...I had two pairs in the seventies and I loved them.

    I expected that your jewelry collection would have value, but WOW, what a wonderful surprise to learn just how special it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Sue and thank you! I think I'm turning into my Grandma, touching modern synthetic fabrics in shops and shuddering in disgust!
      I really do recommend the Lotta from Stockholm clogs, the company has great ethics and they really are comfy. xxx

      Delete
  14. You look just beautiful in blue.

    Amazing to hear about your bracelet, what a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So lovely to hear from you. xxx

      Delete
  15. As much as I love psychedelic prints, I do like your switch towards block prints and cotton dresses. Natural fabrics are more breathable, and simply ideal for spring and summer. I really like the dresses you showcased here. As always you look absolutely fabulous.

    Great finds btw! Those suede jackets look amazing. You always find the best things.

    I simply adore heavy and tribal jewelry, but I don't really have the opportunity to wear it on every day basis. I like to be heard before seen too. Your collection of tribal items is wonderful. How nice to find out your mother's silver disc necklace dates back to Moghul Empire. What an amazing piece to own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! Yes, I always pack cotton clothes when I travel but I can see the appeal of synthetics in winter and, when the weather's as wet as it has been here lately, at least they dry quickly! xxx

      Delete
  16. Your knowledge of clothes and jewellery is fabulous Vicky - I haven't had a chance to check in for ages and you're inspiring me to go and dung out more tat out my wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The words 'hours' and ironing' shouldn't be allowed to be used in the same sentence! I shudder at the thought.
    I've been admiring your dresses on Instagram recently, the colours and prints are so lovely. I also get rid of any items that is hard to wear or uncomfortable, who wants to be constantly adjusting their clothes? Heels don't feature highly for me anymore either, they're just too uncomfortable now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hazel. I'm all about the comfort these days - I like to be able to run for a bus, too! xxx

      Delete
  18. Your collection of Yemeni jewellery is beautiful. The story behind your teething bracelet - amazing.
    I can only bear to wear natural fabrics so I completely get where you're coming from, they breathe! I love your clogs, so colourful and your hip is definitely worth it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! Natural fabrics breathe and they feel so much more luxurious, too. We went in a posh shop on Saturday and although the clothes were lovely, I was horrified to see that many were made from polyester and priced at over a hundred quid. that can't be right, can it? xxx

      Delete
  19. I’ve loved your new styling since you came back from India this time and I’d said to Philip ages ago that it had changed. It’s a softer look which really suits you. It’s lovely that we can change and have the courage to do it.
    Most people dress the same way with no imagination for years. Not for us gals. You’ve taken to the clogs like me to my Fly Boots. Sadly me and the clogs don’t get along so I’m still searching round for my summer footwear style.
    Your blog post are going from strength to strength, it’s like opening a favourite magazine article every week.
    Did a massive charity shop run over to Gemma at Barnados yesterday, the wardrobe looks like it’s not had a dent in it yet. More clearing for me while you get on with your Mending missus xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were the first to comment about my style shift! I always feel more "me" in India and the sights and light are so lovely I don't feel the need to take centre stage. I did worry i'd fade into the background wearing my India gear here but apparently not - phew!
      You're doing amazingly well with your sorting out. The newly decorated house has had a huge impact on you! xxx

      Delete
  20. i have noticed!
    and i love your new collection of block printed cotton dresses! first of all the material, but the patterns and mostly muted colors too.....
    i stopped buying high heels last year - my knees are the equivalent of your hips - but i do keep some comfy pairs like wedges and some favourites for special occasions with chairs ;-D
    giant jewelry envy here!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I knew you'd notice!
      My platform boots are my indulgence, they're fine if I'm not on my feet for hours and hours. xxx

      Delete
  21. Good luck with the mending pile! I've got one item in mine and it's been there for weeks...

    I really like your clogs - such a lovely array of designs and colours and they look so comfy. I haven't worn heels for years - too uncomfortable!

    I find your decision very interesting but also understandable. I think our style desires are are constantly evolving. From what I've seen in the majority of charity shops most maxi dresses/skirts are made of not very nice materials. It's rare to find a cotton maxi dress although cotton maxi skirts are easier to find. There's an awful lot of that chiffon type material which I personally dislike the feel of and it makes you sweat. I love all your block printed garments and your new buys are lovely and look gorgeous on you. Oh, the nostalgia of cheesecloth tunics and suede fur trimmed jackets...

    The tribal jewellery is amazing! As are those shirts and I'm so pleased for you about your mum's bracelet.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! I've come across some absolutely awful fabrics in chazzas lately - something looks lovely from a distance and when you touch it it sets your teeth on edge. I picked up a pair of desert boots at the car boot yesterday for Jon and they felt like they'd been crafted from cardboard and fuzzy felt, needless to day they were primarni! xxx

      Delete
  22. Is'nt it interesting how our style ideas are continually evolving. I do really like the beauty of the block print fabrics and they are just so you. It is easy to tell how they touch your soul. Hopefully the lucky person who buys your old garments will enjoy them as much as you. I can now totally relate to the heel issue, enjoy those clogs, they look so good.
    Best of luck with the mending and ironing . xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how our tastes evolve, I wonder what it is that happens to us? I still enjoy the same kind of music, books and places to visit but what I'm drawn to clothes-wise is really shifting. xxx

      Delete
  23. I know next to nothing about ethnic accessories, but I did happen across a US based seller with very reasonable prices for that sort of thing. Some are modern, some are antique, so have a look through. Again, I wouldn't know repro if it smacked me in the face, but here's the link if you want to have a look:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ALillaBazaar/items

    Glad to hear you've found an everyday style that makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that link, she's got some great stuff and her prices are really reasonable. I love looking at shops like that and making a mental note of what to look out for in Indian markets. xxx

      Delete
  24. I love your new style! You're really inspiring, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We don't stop evolving, neither should our style! I experience these shifts from time to time. Last year I got rid of dozens of pairs of uncomfortable shoes. I am all about being able to stomp a few miles in my footwear!


    I find that modern secondhand pieces can be a way to try out a new colour/style, then if I like it I spend more time and money tracking down a vintage version,and the modern one goes back to the charity shop. I view them as 'test' temporary pieces in my wardrobe.

    I am still blown away by the age of that coin!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about the stomping, too! I can't be doing with wobbly heels, they set my teeth on edge!
      You're right about the secondhand pieces being good for experimenting with, I often buy pretty looking tops in chazzas as a stop gap until the right vintage piece comes along. xxx

      Delete
  26. Vix, I laughed when you said that you’d been slack for not posting for a week. That’s about all I can manage (haha), I don’t know how you do it.

    Wow, look at those platform shoes- they’re in such good condition.

    I’m the same, I can’t do big heels. I much prefer medium block heels.

    The blue patchwork dress is just gorgeous on you and your enthusiasm over tribal jewellery is infectious! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longer I leave it between posts, the harder I find it to write something, it's like I've lost the knack. By the way our summer's shaping up I'll be lucky to post once a fortnight especially with just a day between festivals!
      Block heels are much better for your bodies, aren't they? xxx

      Delete
  27. Your hip and my knees have this in common, Vix: discarding higher heels to delay/avoid joint replacement surgery has been THE plan! Fortunately, it's prom time here in the States, when the teens are shopping for heels to wear with their formal long gowns. I've enjoyed watching my friends young relatives' delight in recycling my footwear, and I also admit to some amusement in coaching them about how to walk in them. ("Stop clomping!")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely that you're able to recycle your heels, Beth! My hip has been brilliant since I said goodbye to the heels - and, hand on heart, I think a lower heel looks better!
      I still clomp about, Jon says I sound like a herd of elephants when I come downstairs! xxx

      Delete
  28. That's such a great story about you cutting your teeth on a Mughal coin.

    There's nothing wrong with style evolving. We'd all be very boring if we never changed. I do distrust people who transform at the drop of a hat* - one month they're into vintage/goth/whatever and the next they're completely 'over it' – but that's not the same as seeing a shift in one's taste. You don't look any less yourself for having changed what you emphasis in your wardrobe because the colours, the billowing skirts, the lively patterns are all there. If you decided to go out and buy a dozen grey trouser suits we'd have more cause for concern... (that's more my thing!)

    *Unless they're David Bowie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still in shock over that Mughal coin!!
      Definitely no plans for any trouser suits and , if I start to gravitate towards grey, it'll be time to call the men in white coats! xxx

      Delete
  29. Meghan said How wonderful to receive a gift from across time from your mother. The quality of style that your mother had has shown up again in her sweet daughter. I love your blog as it stretches my window of knowledge every day and continuous daily posts are nurturing my creative soul. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Meghan, you have such a way with words. Your comments always bring a bit of a shiver down my spine. thank you so much. xxx

      Delete
  30. Once again I have jewelry envy. Of course your treasures are treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What great finds! I really like that blue dress, it's a stunner on you and I am loving the jewellery pieces you picked up! :)

    Hope that you are having a great weekend! We had our son's birthday party yesterday, it was loud but fun :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mica and thank you for your comments. Hope your son enjoyed his party! x

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix