Monday 18 March 2019

Just In - My Latest Acquisitions



On Saturday we traded at our first fair this year. I know, lazy sods, aren't we? Despite the iffy weather and Brex*it uncertainty, Pop-Up Vintage's Walthamstow fair was wonderful. We caught up with our trader pals, our super stylish regulars and made lots of vintage lovin' folk very happy.


I love these girls! They always look amazing.


Could this jacket have fit any better? It looks like it was made for him. 


Forget Lent, deprivation and giving stuff up, this month I've been acquiring stuff like its going out of fashion. Buys included the vintage block printed kaftan I wore on Saturday. I could have sold it ten times over but it ain't for sale. These things are like gold dust and although my eBay find wasn't cheap, it was listed in a strange category with none of the keywords (ie., block printed, vintage or kaftan ) so I won it for a fraction of the crazy prices they're currently commanding.

SOURCE

The kaftan has a Made in Pakistan label which, with most of my acquisitions, inevitably leads to a trawl of the internet to discover more. Back in the 1970s Pakistan was firmly on the hippie trail - here's some of the freaks (how the original hippies referred to themselves) chilling out in downtown Karachi.


This necklace was £1 in Sense and I couldn't part with my cash quick enough. On the other hand I dithered over the £2 top in Cancer UK before sticking it back on the rail. It preyed on my mind for ages so I was relieved to see it still hanging up when I went back to the shop a fortnight later. Thank goodness the people in Walsall don't have the same taste as me!


I ferreted these supersized Goggles sunglasses from out of the 50p junk basket on a chazza shop counter. Designed by Oliver Goldsmith (that's the designer as opposed to the 18th century Irish novelist) they were quite the thing in the early 1980s and ever the massive sunglasses fan, my Mum had at least two pairs. Remember this TV advert? I do.



 I spotted this 1970s cotton velvet maxi skirt on eBay. The embroidery is identical to the green Indian dress I bought a couple of weeks ago. I was the only bidder and won it for £2.50. War on Want is an anti-poverty charity which was founded in London in 1951. The skirt was made in India, an early fair trade piece.



We passed the Jaipur blue pottery workshop several times during our stay but never visited. I'm not sure if this jug originated in Rajasthan but I loved the cobalt blue glaze, its pleasingly chunky proportions and the fact it was £1.99. It shows off my daffs a treat.


In a sea of shoddy man-made tat, this vintage calico bed cover stood out like a beacon in the Age UK clearance shop and was priced at £1. Ghalamkari is the Persian method of block printing. This piece came from Iran and was bought from a stall within the Grand Bazaar in Isfahan. This is the second piece I've picked up in a local charity shop, we're a well-travelled lot in the Black Country, aren't we?

Do I turn the bed cover into something wearable? I'm thinking that I should.


After looking at these photos of the Grand Bazaar I'm desperate to go to Iran but sadly the British Foreign Office are currently advising against travelling there.

SOURCE

This American craft book printed in 1972 is incredible. Jon and I did a macrame workshop in Goa last year & I'm hoping that I can remember enough to give it another bash, that neck piece worn over the black maxi dress is giving me palpitations, I need it! I've found this book on-line for £35 - mine cost £1.50 from the local hospice charity shop.


It's not all buying though, I've been sent lovely things from some fabulous women...



This vintage quilted waistcoat and leather drawstring bag were gifts from talented Sarah aka Little Acorn 73 (find her Etsy shop HERE).


I collected her parcel of joy from the Post office earlier and, as luck would have it, the contents matched my outfit perfectly (she knows me so well!) It's appeared on my blog many times before but just in case you missed it, I'm wearing a tissue silk gauze maxi dress by Treacy Lowe that a friend found for me in a charity shop.


Another virtual friend, Aril, who blogs HERE sent me this gorgeous Moroccan cuff and a card featuring Indo-Portuguese embroidery from the XII -XIII century.


The fabulous Jode, who I met doing vintage fairs a few years ago, sent me these two brilliant prints which she designs herself. I'll be on the lookout for some secondhand frames on my travels this week. Blame it on my vintage heart needs to be hung up next to my overstuffed wardrobe. Fancy some of your own? Find her HERE.

Right...it's finally stopped raining, I can finish unpacking the stock from the van.

See you soon.

38 comments:

  1. My mom did macrame in the 70s- our house had macrame hanging planters & wall hangings everywhere!
    That kaftan & Moroccan cuff are gorgeous!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you've been shopping up a storm with your findings - love the blue jug and bedcover. You have a fabulous eye for beautiful art as well as clothing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I do love a bit of chunky pottery especially when it's blue! xxx

      Delete
  3. What with the Retro Day at the charity shops here, another Think Twice sales and a flea market, I've been acquiring quite a few things myself. Your round-up of acquisitions is making me feel less guilty! I love that fabulous block printed kaftan, the £ 1 necklace, the velvet maxi, the marvellous blue vase and the bed cover, which obviously you've got to remake in something wearable. Those macramé designs look quite intricate. Would you know that Jos had one of those plant hangers when I first met him, and that I made him get rid of it when he moved in? I know! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are naughty - both with your buying and getting poor Jos to get rid of his macrame plant holder - but that's why I like you! xxx

      Delete
  4. I took a macrame class in the late 70s but never made clothing. I'm thinking that skirt in the book would be a nice addition to any vintage wardrobe.
    That bed cover-OMG! I would have a hard time bringing myself to cut into it, but I know whatever you do with it will be incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That skirt is amazing. There's also a very off thing for girls "too shy for hot pants" which consists of a belt with lots of hanging knots - madness!
      I'm scared of cutting that bed cover but it's a bit too small for our bed so it'll only end up folded in the ottoman for time immemorial if I don't sew something with it. xxx

      Delete
  5. You've had some great thrifting luck lately. You always seem to find the best pieces on Ebay for a steal.

    Love that first photo of you two.

    So glad you hear you had a great first show.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne. I've found plenty of great stuff for the shop, too. I see eBay as a challenge, I have to think outside the box and search for items without using the trendy buzzwords, it means trawling through a hell of a lot of dross! xxx

      Delete
  6. I've ALWAYS wanted that specific dress at the top there!!! MAJOR! Loving the kaftan and cuff---green polish is gorgeous!! Amazing bedcover... I'm in love with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I scored it without going bankrupt - they're are stupid popular these days. xxx

      Delete
  7. Pop up Vintage looks like there a lot wheel and dealing. Looks like every one is having a good time.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those two Asian girls in black and red outfits look absolutely fabulous. Very stylish girls! You thrifted amazing pieces. That one poud necklace is so pretty. I absolutely love that velvet maxi skirt. You should definitely turn that Persion blockprint bedding into an item of clothing. The Egyptian design is so beautiful. I also love the vintage sunnies. Jode's prints are fantastic. I love the "I did it my way" lettering against the leopard pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jode's prints are such fun, aren't they? Those girls always look amazing, I love how they mix up different vintage eras to recreate a style all of their own. x

      Delete
  9. P.S That first photo of Jon and you together is so perfect. I love your vintage kaftan, it's so you. The colours are beautiful. It was a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous haul of finds you've had - and what lovely gifts! That macrame book brought back some memories - I used to macrame quite a lot back in the late 70s! I have made a few wall hangings and plant holders. Wow, flashback!

    I'm glad you went back for that top - the sleeves are to die for.

    I also love that pic of you and Jon - you guys look so splendidly matched. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! We were so much more craft in the 1970s, weren't we? I often used to get crafts kits as gifts as opposed to plastic tat. xxx

      Delete
  11. wow and wow and wow!
    so much beauty. your clothes, your finds, the pressies, your customers and last but not least you & jon....
    have fun with the macramé :-D
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! the macrame awaits, I'm on gardening duty this week...sadly! xxx

      Delete
  12. I love your dress, what a lucky find. The two girls look so sweet and beautifully co-ordinated. I could almost have got a train to your venue but work every weekend - am changing my hours soon so there might be a chance of heading to a future event this year - would be so fun to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I'd love to meet you this year! xxx

      Delete
  13. woww, this vintage block printed kaftan is absolutely my kind of thing (I think it's pretty similar to the one I own, but yours has prettier colors!). You're so talented and I'm grateful that you share your advice on looking for different cathegories at eBay! Brilliant advice indeed!
    The bed cover looks fabulous, the print is amazing!
    And you look gorgeous in your waistcoat and bag, so matchy! this kind of things put a smile on my face!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when i found that kaftan, I've always loved yours! x

      Delete
  14. You and Jon look fantastic in your first photo. Uber cool!

    I love your acquisitions; the dress is fab, love the bedspread and I'm glad you went back for the top; it's so you. I remember Oliver Goldsmith glasses very well - out of my price range at the time...the velvet skirt with the embroidery trim is gorgeous.

    Lovely gifts and how well they all went with last fabulous outfit!

    Oh macrame! Such a 70s thing - you couldn't move with out knocking your head on a hanging macrame plant holder!

    Have a fab week
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love your comment on the macrame plant holder, I've got a couple of those! x

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous colors for winter-weary eyes to feast upon! Not least of the wonders are those exuberant stands of bamboo (?) in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Bamboo grows like a weed here, I need a pet Panda to keep it down! x

      Delete
  16. Good finds! I'm not surprised other people liked your kaftan; it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mim! It's such a comfy thing to wear, too!

      Delete
  17. Hi Vix. I am currently eyeballing two brand new king size duvet covers that were given to me by a friend. The fabric is so much better than any I could afford to buy.
    I think they would make lovely summer dresses.
    Incidentally, I spent four months in Iran during the revolution. It's a beautiful country with wonderful people. Such a pity that fanatics have made it a dangerous place to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! I'm always looking at duvet covers to turn into dresses in charity shops - I can't wait to see what you create out of your gifts.
      How fascinating that you were in Iran during the revolution. Iranians I've met are consistently lovely. I bet the architecture and food was out of this world. xxx

      Delete
  18. Your friends know you so well! Splendid assortment of gifts and charity shop finds. I would definitely wear that macrame neckpiece over a plain black dress (I like the skirt idea too, layered over another piece). The caftan is a stellar "VIX" piece. Glad your first fair of the year went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do ! I hardly need to shop for myself - but that would be no fun at all, would it?
      Those macrame pieces are just wonderful, I hope I can remember the bits I learned. xxx

      Delete
  19. I can’t believe you dithered over that top, look at the sleeves, it’s got Vix written all over it!
    I remember trying macrame at school, I'm sure it'll come back to you once you get going.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I get befuddled sometimes, I'm hopeless! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix