Monday 10 December 2018

Fifty-Two - The Birthday Epic



Thanks for the messages, comments and emails. My birthday was fabulous and turned out to be my favourite type of celebration, the sort that went on for days. I know fifty-two isn't a landmark birthday but I'm still pretty amazed that I made it this far.


Gifts included loads of Lush stuff, booze and posh foodie bits, an antique doll's tea set (demonstrated by my Mary Quant doll, Daisy Longlegs who I bought in 1978) and some dolls' house miniatures.

SOURCE

On Thursday Liz and Al whisked us off to Birmingham city centre's Wetherspoons where we had lunch and a few beers before making our way to the Alexandra Theatre for the matinee performance of Benidorm Live, the stage version of Derren Litten's legendary comedy series set at the all-inclusive Spanish resort hotel The Solana and featuring much of the original cast. It has hilarious.


After paying homage to one of Walsall's most famous sons, Noddy Holder of Slade, immortalised in Lego in New Street Station, 


 We proceeded to one of our favourite Birmingham pubs, the stupendously glamorous Bacchus Bar, for a few more beers. A gang of Scandinavians complimented me on my Victor Costa dress and wished me a happy birthday.

SOURCE

The following day we met our pal and fellow member of the Dead Relatives Society, Tony, in St. Matthew's Hall, Walsall's Wetherspoons, which was built in 1830 and was originally the town's first free library. I'm not implying that we spend a lot of time in there or anything but we got staff discount at the bar. 

SOURCE

After a couple of pints we caught a taxi five miles down the road to The Vine in West Bromwich.

SOURCE

The Vine is one of the Black Country's famed desi pubs, boasting a fantastic selection of Indian food and real ale in a traditional British pub setting, available daily from 11.30am. We hadn't been before so were very excited to get stuck into a decent curry and we weren't disappointed.

What is a desi pub? Read all about these Black Country institutions HERE and HERE.


 I had Sri Lankan-style mixed vegetables (Madras-hot and cooked in coconut) whilst the boys had Rajastani-style chicken (for Jon) and lamb (for Tony) along with a peshwari nan and plain rice. The food was delicious, spicy and without a hint of oil or grease. Even the masala chips were crisp and delicious.

SOURCE

Known for being footie-fan friendly, we weren't sure how raucous The Vine was going to be as West Bromwich Albion were due to play in a local derby against Aston Villa later that evening. When we got there the fellow diners included business people, shoppers and, inexplicably, a large party of Germans (West Bromwich is hardly on the tourist trail) but as the day progressed we realised they'd travelled especially to see the match. By early evening the place was packed out with supporters of both teams and although it was noisy the atmosphere remained friendly. On our neighbouring table were a party of Norwegian West Brom fans, again over for the match. 

SOURCE

With queues building up at the bar, at 7.30 pm we got a taxi back to The Wheatsheaf, an early 19th Century pub a five minute walk away from our front door. We ended the night having spent 11 hours drinking .....who says you get more sensible as you get older? Not me!


The lads!

Both of us woke up surprisingly clear-headed on Saturday morning and after breakfast got stuck into some furniture moving and general rejigging of the house. Of course, a day in doesn't mean slobbing around in jogging bottoms (I don't own such horrors) and I wore one of the two vintage dresses Curtise had sent me for my birthday. This cotton maxi is by Frank Usher. For some bizarre reason the previous owner had removed the zip but the shirred bodice has plenty of stretch so it didn't affect the ease of putting it on. Needless to say I didn't wear the hat indoors, it hid my 11 hour booze-addled face.


After a mid-morning brief visit from a friend we settled down to watch, Iris, the film documenting fashion maverick, Iris Apfel's life which my lovely friend Lynn had sent me. As it was directed by Albert Maysles, who was also behind legendary films, Gimme Shelter and Grey Gardens, I knew I was going to love it and I did. What an inspirational (and exceptionally stylish) woman she is. We spent the evening drinking some of my birthday rum, catching up with the excellent spy drama Berlin Station followed by parts 3 & 4 of gripping thriller The Sinner.


Forget the god bothering, Iris Apfel, like me, worships at the shrine of the accessory!

On Sunday morning after my brother had popped round bearing birthday gifts, a pair of vintage fashion advertising prints, we popped into Walsall to get a shaving plug for the epilator Jon had bought me. I feel like an outsider from mainstream society at the best of times but honest to god, the madness of Xmas leaves me more bemused by the normals than ever. What is it with those massive Primark bags everyone carries around? Is that where everyone buys their Xmas gifts? No wonder the chazzas are stuffed with Primark clothes with the labels still attached - nobody wants the shit. Anyway, throwaway fashion aside and plug buying accomplished, we called into the new clearance charity superstore where we found a few vintage pieces for the stock room, a new keyboard for my PC, a '70s Indian fringed scarf & beach blanket for our India trip and two wooden frames in which to display my brother's birthday prints and still had change from £20.




Sunday Girl - my second birthday dress from Curtise, a 1970s Robert Newman of London W1 dark floral maxi.


After lunch I braced myself for my first session with my epilator - I'd read a billion on-line reviews over the years describing just how unbearably painful epilating is. Following the instructions to the letter I used the more gentle first-timer's attachment on its slowest setting and didn't feel a thing so I changed the head to the efficiency model (supposedly for experienced users), ramped up the power and did both legs without any discomfort - in fact, it was so utterly painless that I went on to do my bikini line as well. Disclaimer - like my mum, my pain threshold is ridiculously high, I once spent an entire day at school nursing a broken elbow in silence as I didn't want to make a fuss and walked around for 28 years of my adult life with a dislocated hip.


After Liz and Adrian had popped round bearing gifts we ordered pizza and spent the evening watching the French subtitled historical drama, Resistance - this time rum-free, our first booze free night since Tuesday...shocking!!


Normal service has been resumed today and I'm wearing a fabulously sparkly Lurex maxi my dear friend Ann (Polyester Princess) sent me for my birthday, accessorised by a heap of brass jewellery (all either chazza-shopped or inherited from my mum) and a fringed bodysuit and suede platforms (also by way of a charity shop). After I've caught up with all I've missed in the blogging world I'm going to spend the rest of the day packing my India bag, or at least thinking about it.

Linking to Patti & The Gang for Visible Monday.

78 comments:

  1. I like your sunday girl outfit - what a pretty fabric and style. Belated happy birthday - you certainly crammed a lot in to your birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vine has got a good reputation for food , my son in law is an albion supporter and a semi professional ref so he has been there on lots of occasions , I didn't know about the clarence shop in walsall , Will have to take a look when we are out and about again , I really love that black dress , Glad you had a lovely extended birthday xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The clearance shop is well worth a visit, it's open seven days a week, too. xxx

      Delete
  3. Aren't you a lucky birthday girl with all that fab vintage loot? I'm glad you've had such a brilliant week celebrating 52 years.

    I tried that epilator in the 90's. NOPE. Not for woman with fibromyalgia. My leg had little bloody pin marks everywhere and was red for a week. You are lucky you can use it. Even my sister who doesn't have an autoimmune disease can't use it.

    I also went for 10 days with a broken elbow because I didn't want to go to the hospital on my own. My GP almost passed out when I managed to lift my arm up to show her.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoilt, wasn't I?
      What a shame the epilator didn't work for you, I'm as blind as a bat so shaving in the bath's becoming increasingly difficult so it's the ideal solution for a salon dodger like me! xxx

      Delete
  4. Well, that sounds like the ideal way to spend a birthday - the longer the celebrations, the better, I say. Happy birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Thanks, Rosie - lovely to hear from you! xxx

      Delete
  5. You look do gorgeous in every dress in every pic!!! Happy birthday again!!! I love all the plans you had for days and I also worship at the shrine of accessories. So so so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shrine of accessories is the only place to worship! xxx

      Delete
  6. and great time was had by all. The Nobby Holder Lego is amazing and so is Iris. More is more with her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous celebration. So glad you had a good time.
    Love your birthday dresses.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday - I'm glad you had a fabulous day, and got so many fantastic gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fran and thank you! I love an injection of fresh dresses! xxx

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous birthday! Congratulations on making it to 52 - I can tell you the fifties are spectacular! Love your shirred waist dress too - so vintage, so cool. xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had such a fantastic day. Many Happy Returns of the Day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. After I realized you weren't talking about Birmingham, Alabama--I'm sure it's a lovely place--I read on to the end of your post. Great writing. What a birthday celebration you had. Now I have to Google "Victor Costa" and "Black Country." BTW, at 52, you are still a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After I realized you weren't talking about Birmingham, Alabama--I'm sure it's a lovely place--I read on to the end of your post. Great writing. What a birthday celebration you had. Now I have to Google "Victor Costa" and "Black Country." BTW, at 52, you are still a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Forsythia - lovely to hear from you! x

      Delete
  13. Belated birthday wishes lovely lady! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated happy birthday!

    That was some right royal piss up! I just can't take the drink as I get older - it clearly doesn't seem to affect you - no mention of a hangover...lucky you!

    What fabulous presents; the dresses are gorgeous including the one you wore on your birthday. I loved your vintage prints and the doll's tea set is just utterly exquisite. I must say I'd never heard of Daisy Longlegs but she's the same age as my daughter.

    An epilator sounds like a very useful gadget; I have a high pain threshold too, so I might explore this option. I'm sick of shaving and having had my bikini line waxed once I swore there would not be a second time.

    Here's to 52 more happy birthdays!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I stick to lager I'm good - no mixing the drinks or I'm useless!
      I'm hugely impressed with the epilator, my legs are still smooth a week on although the instructions say that it will remove hair the size of a grain of sand so I might just give them a quick going-over before I go out to keep them in check! xxx

      Delete
  15. You certainly know how to celebrate a birthday. Mine are usually rather quiet affairs, I often have to work on the day itself as well. Love your brother's vintage ads. And both of Curtise's frocks are fabulous. You do look stunning in the pink lurex frock too. Love how you've accessorized it with the fringed body suit and lots of brass jewellery. I have used an epilator for many years. I guess I've got a high pain treshold as well, as I never found it particularly painful. Guess you're getting quite excited with your holiday coming up. Can't believe it's that time of the year again ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy you being another epilator user, I didn't realise there were so many of us!
      I adore my pink sparkly dress - I'm tempted to wear it to Spoons later! xxx

      Delete
  16. Love that Lurex maxi -- the pattern and color is perfect for you. I did not know that there was an Iris Apfel movie so thank you for mentioning it -- I love her! I've been using a Braun epilator for then years or more now -- I wouldn't go back to shaving at all. It is annoying that your hair grows back an various rates, so you do need to keep up on it, but I now only have to use it once a week. I like it because not only does it remove hair, you get decent exfoliation as well. OK, TMI...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear about your experiences with the epilator! My legs are still looking good after a week!
      You'll love that Iris film, she is such an inspiration. xxx

      Delete
  17. Sounds like you celebrated in style!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did really well on the pressie front. As for the extended celebrations - you're such a pro! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to see you had a fabulous birthday festival - so many wonderful friends, pubs and birthday dresses! Those vintage ads are fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! Lovely to hear from you! x

      Delete
  20. Happy 52 year. I'm just finishing mine - nearly 53 now - been a good year though. Thanks for all the entertainment you provide.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daffy! Glad your 52nd year was a good 'un! xx

      Delete
  21. What a fantastic post, almost felt as though I was there with you and having a ball!
    Love the photo of St Matthew's Hall and the Wheatsheaf!
    I have used an electric epilator for decades and love it! I even have a back up bought from a Goodwill (charity shop) for when this first one dies, it is on its second set of "grabbers".
    I have a little Dinky sized double decker bus by Lledo which says W. Whittaker of West Bromwich as the ad on the bus side. The destination reads " Hill Top".

    Happy Birthday to someone who makes 52 glorious! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan. Delighted to hear that you love you epilator, too!
      Hill Top - that's where I used to work when I was training to be a chef - at Sandwell Park Golf Club. xxx

      Delete
  22. Every Birthday deserve celebration or a toast. Happy Birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  23. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Vix, you are fabulous, gorgeous and amazing! It is not anyone who can drink for 11 hours straight and still be looking that awesome in the morning.

    All the best to you for a year ahead filled with great finds, small joys, and lasting peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! I've got similar plans for later - well, it'll probably only be about 7 hours in the pub - if I don't publish a blog post tomorrow you'll know why! xxx

      Delete
  24. Hello, I went by to say hello, since I've been disconnected from everything for a long time. As always I love your work. That I still think that they are not chapucillas, but great works. A kiss.
    ดูหนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday!
    Your maxis are absolutely amazingly gorgeous!
    I'm going to have to find that I ris Apfel doc- sounds brilliant!
    Beware of ingrown hairs with that epilator thing- althoughI used one once in the 90's & nothing grew back!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bibi! I was spoilt with my array of maxi dresses, that's for sure.
      The Iris film was wonderful, I hope you can track it down. No ingrown hairs a week on - my legs are still as smooth as a smooth thing! xxx

      Delete
  26. Happy Birthday Vix!

    I think I say this every year...but your birthday falls just a few days after mine; the best time of the year, yes!?

    Sounds like your day/week was epic, as it should be.

    Here's cheers to an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue! Lovely to hear from you and belated happy birthday wishes back to you. xxx

      Delete
  27. Your birthday out on the lash sounds brilliant, I hadn't heard of the desi pub so I've learned something there. Lego Noddy is epic, has he been to see it? Hearing him every bloody day at the moment. (no offence Nod) You got some great presents there! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Desi pubs - like Baltis - are a West Midlands invention - hopefully the rest of teh country will catch on eventually!
      I'm not sure if our Noddy's seen his Lego image, I bet he'd love it. xxx

      Delete
  28. wowww, what a magnificent post! it's so joyful to see all the fabulous things you did/wore in your birthday partytime!. I love the idea of a desi pub! doubled fabulousness! (I have to tell Mr.A. about this, a huge fan of english pubs as he is!) Also love your stunning dresses, the pretty vintage advertisement prints and the silk-epil (great present!, I bough mine ages ago and never regretted)
    Thanks for sharing these moments with us, so lovely, it has put a smile on my face!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr A would be very impressed with the desi pubs around here, I'm sure!
      I'm happy to hear that you get along with your epilator, I'm super impressed so far! xxx

      Delete
  29. Belated happiest of birthdays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. epic - indeed!!!
    and fab dresses!
    wish we has such pubs here - the indian food looks gorgeous and the place sounds cool.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! Desi pubs are fantastic. In the old days you used to have tho leave the pub to go for a curry, now it's all under one roof! xxx

      Delete
  31. Happy birthday. Vix. It sounds like you had such fun. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Power to your endurance, and after your epic 11 hours you still managed to dress up for photos. I would have been downing fresh orange and nursing a sore head!
    I'm glad you had such a good birthday. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat covered a multitude of sins! I'm hangover-free as long as I stick to lager, mixing the drinks always leads to trouble! xxx

      Delete
  33. Awh I’m so glad you had such a lovely birthday. I’m with you birthdays should go on for as long as possible.
    I bet the Benidorm show was hysterical and you’ve had some super presents.
    Glad you liked Iris as well. Here’s to birthdays and many more of the same xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benidorm was brilliant - you'd have been in stitches! Try and catch it if you can! xxx

      Delete
  34. Wow, Vix. You sure know how to wring out every last drop of fun on your birthday. My kind of gal. Love all your dresses, as usual. The black print is making me hyperventilate and that pink metallic from Ann is spectacular. What's better than pink and sparkly? Not much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa. Any excuse for a trip to the pub, that's me - in fact I'll be doing the same later! xxx

      Delete
  35. Birthdays are for celebration and you certainly know how to celebrate in spades. Sounds like a great time was had. Your friends know you well , each dress fits like a glove and look wonderful. I remember seeing Iris at the cinema , a couple of years ago and enjoyed it immensely. I know your 50's will be rather special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! It's been a fabulous few days. I'm only two years into my 50s but so far I've loved them! xxx

      Delete
  36. Happy birthday! Glad you had a fun few birthday days. I always love to celebrate my birthday over a week. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing, and all!
    I use an epilator too, it's pretty painfree on my legs. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! Birthdays need to last for days, it's the law in this house! xxx

      Delete
  37. It does sound like you had a fabulous birthday - you can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  38. happy birthday, I'm glad to read you had a great time.
    I'd love to see that documentary about Iris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! I'd highly recommend the documentary, Iris is a real inspiration! xxx

      Delete
  39. Curtise has such a good taste in dresses. Nothing like celebrating for as long as possible I'm definitely a fan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sounds like you had a marvelous birthday - drinks, yummy curry, new dresses, all the good things!! Pretty much all my blogger friends are in their 50's now, and it's strange to look at all of us and realize how different we look from how our mothers did at our age (BTW, I will always be five years older than you ;))

    ReplyDelete
  41. Glad to see you had such a fantastic birthday, with such fabulous outfits. Getting sensible is a waste of time - the older we get, the less time there is to have fun, so we should have more, not less!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix