Tuesday 11 September 2018

Last Days of Summer


Phew! Doesn't time fly? I can't believe it's been a week since I last blogged. The first couple of days were largely spent in a state of befuddlement, emptying the van, pulling the autumn stock to the front of the rails in the Kinky shed and pricing it in readiness for our first vintage fair of the Autumn (back to wonderful Walthamstow, HERE). With my hair in desperate need of a root retouch, my face in a shocking state after almost a fortnight of relying on wet wipes to wash and my nails battered and broken I was barely fit for human consumption. After a few good nights sleep in a proper bed, access to unlimited hot water and the chance to eat a complete meal without any interruptions, by Thursday I was starting to feel a lot more human. A trip to Superdrug to stock up on black hair dye, facial scrub and a new nail file and I felt fit to face the world again.

Today's (Tuesday) outfit: Vintage 1960s Dollyrockers maxi (bought from Second to None eight years ago) worn with an Indian coin necklace from the Lamani tribe of Karnataka and a charity shopped green velvet jacket (£3) which I think must have once belonged to a pixie.
And face the world we did with four days of chazza shopping and twice meeting up with friends over long and lazy pub lunches. 

Thursday and Sunday's outfit: Vintage Crimplene maxi skirt & 1970s vinyl corset belt (Classic Car Boot Sale, August '18), Embroidered & fringed off-the-shoulder top (£1, end of season sale, Feb '18)


It's a challenging time of year when it comes to getting dressed ...if it makes an appearance then the sun is still quite warm but out of it, it's distinctly chilly. While I'm not ready to relinquish my summer wardrobe until I'm back from Greece, the torrential rain we've had recently makes sandal wearing a bit of a no-no so I've reluctantly dragged some of my boots from out of hibernation.

Monday's outfit: Vintage cape sleeve maxi dress (present from Ann), 1970s Pakistani velvet tote (jumble sale, years and years ago), Aldo hat & River Island platform boots (both £1.99, local hospice charity shop), Thong necklace (worn by my Mum in the 1960s)


As for charity shopping - we've done pretty well. There's a temptation to buy all the vintage when stock's running a bit low but, as I always say, not all vintage is good vintage, so after initially grabbing all the old stuff we find we carefully consider each piece before we get to the counter and the rejects go back on the rails.


Clockwise from top left: 1960s reversible wool cape: 1970s block heeled leather boots: 1980s fringed and studded red leather jacket: Beaded 1960s evening bag :1970s reversible coat by Wetherall of Bond Street : 1970s Windsmoor velvet trimmed wool jacket: English Lady 1970s belted wool jacket: Vintage hand embroidered Indian tunic: 1970s handmade wool pussy bow blouse: 1970s day dress: 1970s printed velvet waistcoat: 1960s black leather jerkin

Clockwise from top left: Dereta of London gold lame maxi skirt : 1980s St Michael day dress: 1960s green vinyl bag: 1970s bold floral maxi: 1970s green floral midi dress : Early 1960s Acetate day dress: 1980s braided velvet jacket: 1980s Richards velvet bolero; 1960s bamboo handle knit bag; 1970s marabou trimmed satin evening dress: 1930s wool tank top: 1980s St Michael day dress


Clockwise from top left: Hong Kong-made military style jacket, 1980s David Barry herringbone wool maxi coat, 1980s Safari waistcoat, 1960s wool wiggle dress, St Michael Ban-Lon top, 1980s leather moto jacket, Contemporary George Brown (official tailor to the England World Cup 2018 squad), 1950s wool coat, vintage embellished wool cardi

Clockwise from top left: 1980s leather jacket, 1980s leather jacket, Gladstone Bros fedora, 1970s reporter mac, 1960s St Michael suede front cardi, English-made Harrington jacket, Australian-made flying jacket, British-made red padded bomber jacket
We came back with more today but most of it's still drying. I have to share this Al Green album from 1975 I found, though. That's what I call an outfit (and a fine looking man)!



Next on the agenda - packing for our trip to Greece. I'll share what I'm taking once I've decided myself!

Linking to Patti and the gang for Visible Monday and to The Style Crone, Judith's Hat Attack #63

55 comments:

  1. You always make me feel out of breath just reading your posts lol , I can honestly say the green velvet jacket and the cape sleeve maxi dress are two of my favorite pieces of clothing you have blogged about xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was excited when I found that pixie jacket, I knew it would make the colder days a lot more bearable. x

      Delete
  2. Bloody hell missus, you have been busy. I admire your boundless energy, although you must be well up for a holiday by now. You have an uncanny knack of finding the best stuff. I only see proper vintage very rarely these days. Your outfits are amazing. I love that hat, such a good colour for Autumn. The weather is being a bit odd. I am.confined to a suit these days so not much choice but am looking forward to getting my cold weather clothes out again should I ever stop being at work. Sorry but really looking forward to those bright,frosty days. 😁 Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frosty mornings? No!!! I do have a new old cape for the winter but that won't make up for the loss of summer. xxx

      Delete
  3. I wish everyone had your picky standards when selling vintage-I am sooo tired of picking up a piece, seeing all the stains and holes and then seeing some absurd price a dealer has put on it. I don't know who buys the stuff as there's enough polyester dresses in the world that aren't ready for the scrap heap. Anyway, yes, yes, yes and I can't wait to see what you take to Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! I get annoyed with listings that say "small hole", broken zip or a stain that might come out" - sheer laziness if you ask me. xxx

      Delete
  4. nothing say "busy" like being self-employed! Man, you sure do find the vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally say that when you do the job you love you never feels like work but we were beginning to flag last week! x

      Delete
  5. You look gorgeous!!!!!! Love fresh dyed hair <3 Great picks, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your energy level is enviable, as are your outfits! I do love that cap sleeved maxi especially. And can't wait to see what you're packing for Greece!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pixie jacket is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! That Al Green album and Marvin Gaye's album 'What's Going On?' was the sound track to the first year of my marriage....

    I'm so glad you've had time to rest and recuperate; it sounded like a punishing schedule.

    Your outfits are wonderful! I really love the green velvet pixie jacket on you.

    Fab chazza finds, too.

    Hope your week is going well/
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were absolute classics, weren't they? I was surprised to find Al Green amidst the Klaus Wunderlicht and Top of the Pops albums! xx

      Delete
  9. I can't believe how well you've done at the charity shops! I haven't been out charity shopping for a few weeks, except for one shop during our holiday, which quite possibly must be the most horrible shop we ever visited ... Oh well. You are looking quite stunning in all your outfits, but especially in that dress I gave you, which I knew would be perfect for you! I'd love to see what you're taking to Greece! Not long now, eh? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that chazza shop experience sounds terrible!
      I was happy to find lots of things - I can be excited about our next fair now with new things on the rails! xxx

      Delete
  10. Ooooh you did good with your chazza haul. Strangely I am in love with the tartan coat....and I don't really do coats.
    You as always look amazing in everything you are wearing and the pixie jacket is just gorgeous.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always pounce on the coats, too - I loved that one, proper bit of age to it! xxx

      Delete
  11. Fabulous finds - how about that maribou-trimmed maxi?? And you look amazing in the fedora plus colorful dress. Of course you do! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't need a marabou trimmed maxi? I've got one already! xxx

      Delete
  12. Front crotch tie up leather embroidered pants!!! I die!!! Ha! You don't find those anymore do you?

    You've had quite the busy week. I don't know how you do it. I probably would have needed hospitalization by now at the rate you two keep going. I suppose you're able to keep at it knowing that Greece is waiting.

    Like you, I've learned that not all vintage is good vintage. I used to just get excited to find anything vintage when thrifting, now I'm picky. Plus I know I don't want to spend too much time mending, or trying to clean something that I might only sell for $50 or less.

    That dress that Ann chose for you is spectacular! She does have the eye for a great print.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could find Al Green's outfit in a chazza. Mind you, I bet the size of his was tiny - look at that waist.
      We were absolutely wrecked last week but perked up eventually. I'm amazed how many people told us how well we both looked, I felt about 103!
      Yes, easy to get carried away with buying all the vintage especially if you're having a lean day of finds but it all ends up going back to the shop if you're not careful! xxx

      Delete
  13. Al Green, my favorite Reverend! You seriously find better stuff in one trip than most of us find in a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just great, isn't he?!
      It's a trained eye - decades of practice! xxx

      Delete
  14. Oh, that red fringed suede jacket makes my heart sing! I also love the herringbone long coat. Wonderful items - you have such a good eye! I would love to shop with you one day (I have a pretty good eye myself!).

    Love your last dress, especially, because of the leather thong of your Mum's. That whole outfit just rings my bell. Happy week, Vix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I thought of you when I spotted that red jacket and maxi coat - I've seen you in things very similar! We'd have a blast shopping together, we'll have to arrange it! xxx

      Delete
  15. Gosh, all that work must really take it out of you, especially when you're camping out at festivals. Your Greek break is definitely needed!

    I'm in the middle of packing too, but it's all stuff everyone has seen before... kind of nice to have the holiday packing all sorted in advance, to be honest; usually I'm faffing around buying last-minute bits. You've had such a successful summer, will you still be able to raid the Kinky rails?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! We just wanted to sit slumped in front of the tv ignoring each other when we got back - but couldn't! Booking that trip after the festival season rather than before we went, like last year, was a stroke of genius!
      Most of my holiday wardrobe is stuff I've had for years with a few bits I've found in the charity shops over the summer. There is that inclination to rush off and buy something new just before you go, isn't there? I restrained myself and just got a new lipstick! xxx

      Delete
  16. Love your red outfit and your finds. I've got a pair of brown block heeled boots that are really similar to the ones you found. I've worn them a few times on my blog. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I've got through a few of those 70s stack heeled boots over the years - these had still got their original price tags on but they're tiny (no good for my massive hooves!) x

      Delete
  17. It's good to see you still look summery. There's a distinct chill in the air here and it's prompted me to do a wardrobe changeover. With Greece still to look forward to though summer is still in your grasp - have a fantastic holiday in the sun. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! I was on the verge of doing the big changeover at the weekend but restrained myself until I'm back from Greece. Maybe the weather will have a rethink when I'm away! x

      Delete
  18. well, I totally agree on sandals in the rain, they're a no-no! and the chilly mornings and sunny days are also difficult to manage!. But you totally rock as usual!, I love your maxi dress with the beautiful hat!, such fantastic colors! and the purple maxi dress with the velvet jacket looks so stunning!!
    Having Greece in mind (I'm keeping next algarvian holidays in my mind!) will keep you in summery mood and totally fabulous!
    besos
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trials of dressing for the weather! It feels wrong to be wearing boots when I'll be barefoot on the beach soon but the last thing I want is to catch cold and be shivering under a towel for a few days!
      Have fun in The gorgeous Algarve! x

      Delete
  19. i´m swooning over your outfits!!
    the stylish fairy, the chic gypsy and that cool lady in a hat - marvelous!!!
    and you have done very well with restocking - so much tempting stuff.........
    love! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Beate - I'm loving your descriptions! xxx

      Delete
  20. That maxi from Ann is gorgeous! I love the colours.
    I hate to admit that autumn is here but the lack of sun makes it harder to ignore. I hate being cold so my flip flops have probably been worn their last for this year. Jeans are making a more regular appearance and I wore socks a few days ago. Socks! In September! I can't complain too much as the summer was glorious, but it could last just a few weeks more...
    The last few weeks sound so busy for you, it must be nice to slow down for a while and get back to normality.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann's got a great eye for colour, hasn't she?
      I don't want to say goodbye to summer just yet but yes, there's a distinct nip in the air. I'm happy I can extend summer and lie in the sunshine for another week! xxx

      Delete
  21. So much to love here! You do psychedelic style right, not that there is a wrong when it comes to paisleys. That elfish jacket is great! I'm glad you have your sights set on sunny Greece. You and winter, it's kind of like imagining you in a beige business pantsuit - doesn't fit right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Beige pantsuit indeed! Mind you, you'd probably slay one! xxx

      Delete
  22. The gorgeous green bag you mentioned! I hope you are keeping it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd approve! It's packed for Walthamstow, much as I love it I've got far too many bags already (and always seem to carry the same ones!) xxx

      Delete
  23. Looking fabulous in every wonderful, colourful outfit! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look adorable as always! I love Ann's dress and the outfit with a red blouse the most. Your rails are filling with crazy good stuff - ready for vintage lovers! Not one minute wasted - you are truly a perpetuum mobile, my dear friend! Can't wait to see your Greece-approved collection!
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalia! Wearing red's a diversionary tactic. I thought I looked terrible on Friday so pulled it out of the wardrobe to distract from my tired face, it worked a trick. Jon was complimented by strangers on having such a beautiful wife - haha! xxx

      Delete
  25. As you know I love green and purple. The dress from Ann is stunning and I tried on a very similar hat in Anthropologie recently in mauve. I loved it, but it was £48. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Vix, I just love Al Green. <3

    I wish you and Jon a fabulous trip!

    Anne-Marie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. You know I adore all your "feast for the eyes" outfits, but I am in love with your Monday print dress and fedora!
    I do a weekly trip to my fave thrift stores and there's very little real vintage to be had. The occasional nice piece I've found is usually in bad shape. We're back to hot and humid weather here in southwestern Ontario and I'm so ready to move on to "light jacket" weather.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Vix! Nice to hear you got home and oooh, what a lovely haul of vintage! Love those St Michael day dresses and that lovely blue floral! Were you camping in Gilbert all the time? Must get a bit cramped for a long time! I wish I lived a bit closer than at least an hour from there or I would say, come and have a shower here or stay a night if you needed a bed!
    Hope you are well though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That hat is so good, you found so many wonderful treasures charity shopping!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix