Thursday 10 December 2009

The Velvet Hour

Velvet maxi dress (Clothes Show), Black opaque tights, Samba peep-toes (TopShop), Pendant made from rupee coins and silver jewellery (India), H&M Tassel earrings (Car boot sale)

When I espied this late 60's velvet maxi dress from posh English fashion house "John Marks" at the Clothes Show I knew it was the dress I'd been waiting for all my life. I didn't care about the price, as a passer-by remarked to my pal, "Your friend was born to wear that dress."
Fortunately, I'd already purchased my suede shorts from the stallholder and we'd developed a rapport. She was so pleased with how the dress looked on she kindly let me have it for £35 (instead of the original price of £75) on the proviso I spent the rest of the day wearing it.




It's so my Christmas party dress, teamed with heels and lots of hippy jewellery it'll stand out from the ubiquitous sequins and glitz currently in vogue. It's also going to the Glastonbury Festival with me next year. Who knows? Perhaps it's been there already. I wish vintage clothes could speak to reveal their past, I can imagine it hanging out with Mick and the rest of the Stones.

I'm also planning to wear it dressed down, open and unfastened, as a long waistcoat over deconstructed ripped jeans and a plain black wifebeater.

3 comments:

  1. love the dress,

    I'm looking for a maxi dress with sleeves at the moment,
    any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely, lovely. You really WERE born to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really love it - didn't notice you though!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix