Friday, 2 October 2026

Tales of the City - The Birmingham Pre-Raphaelites

 

It had been months since I'd met Nikki in Birmingham and I was giddy with excitment when I got dressed on Tuesday morning.


With the weather still feeling very summery I thought I'd give the Anokhi maxi dress I'd scored from Vinted last week another outing, this time with an All About Audrey wrap top, a cord cap I'd bought from the Monsoon sale a few years ago and, of course, my beloved Phoebe Anna Traquair Arts & Crafts pendant. 


Although the station looks abandoned in the photo, the 9.50am service to Birmingham, New Street was rammed. I bumped into swimming regulars, Norma and Gordon and we managed to get seats together and were so engrossed in our chat that the 22minute journey seemed even faster than usual. 


At New Street I paid my respects to Ozzy, the mascot from the 2022 Commonwealth Games. He roared and blinked his eyes in approval. 


Nikki arrived within a couple of minutes and we headed up the road to Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. The last couple of times we'd visited it had been closed to the general public due to school trips but on Tuesday the doors were open. 


Hello Lucifer, you gorgeous creature! 


First stop was the magnificent Edwardian Tearooms. Our pots of camomile tea (me) and peppermint (Nikki) were huge, which was just as well, we had a lot to catch up with.



 Birmingham has the world's largest collection of art and design by the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood and their followers in the world. Selected from their impressive archive, the museum's four newly refurbished galleries feature over 60 paintings, sculpture and stained glass panels from artists including Dante Gabriel Rosetti, Edward Burne-Jones, William Morris, Ford Maddox Brown and Katie Bunce. 


Here's a few of our favourites....


Beauty Receiving the White Rose From Her Father - Joseph Edward Southall


Ariadne on Naxos - Joseph Edward Southall


Changing the Letter - Joseph Edward Southall 


Beauty And The Beast - John Dickson Batten


Musica - Katie Bunce


New Lamps for Old - Joseph Edward Southall


Fiametta - Arthur Joseph Gaskin 


Hope Comforting Love in Bondage - Sidney Harold Meteyard


Sigismonda Drinking The Poison - Joseph Edward Southall


Portrait of Anne Elizabeth Baker - Joseph Edward Southall



Stained glass panel, Dante & Beatrice by Florence Camm


A Lady Holding a Rose - Emma Sandys


La Donna Della Finestra - Dante Gabriel Rosetti 


Medea - Frederick Sandys


 Morgan le Fey - Frederick Sandys


Prosipine - Dante Gabriel Rosetti


The Backgammon Player - Edward Burne Jones


The Death of Sir Tristran - Ford Maddox Brown 


Elijah and The Widow's Son - Ford Maddox Brown


Cordelia At The Beside of Lear - Ford Maddox Brown


The Travelling Companions - Augustus Leopold Egg


The Long Engagement - Arthur Hughes





Work by Ford Maddox Brown


 The Blind Girl - John Everett Millais



 The Last of England - Ford Maddox Brown

 
Valentine Rescuing Sylvia - William Holman Hunt



As You Like It - Walter Deverill


 The Young Poet - Arthur Hughes


The Proscribed Royalist - John Everett Millais



 By marked contrast, the gallery was also showing Brummie comedian, Joe Lycett's Everything Must Go exhibition. A bit of a shock to the system after the intricacy and beauty of the Pre-Raphaelites but the schoolkids absolutely loved it.




Source

As regular train users we both giggled at his "See It, Say It, Swordfish", a daft take on the tannoy announcement.

 
Lunch, as usual, was chaat attack and Indian Summer IPA at The Indian Brewery. 







It didn't disappoint!


After another beer we said our goodbyes to boss, Marni and walked back to Birmingham New Street to catch our respective trains home.


Back at home I had time to try on the beautiful kantha riding jacket Nikki had given me and it fitted perfectly.


Thanks for a fabulous day, bab, see you soon!

39 comments:

  1. Hard to call out a favorite ( pink elephant aside) but Hope Comforting Love Bondage immediately drew me in. You've been so busy since your last day trip to Birmingham so glad you got to see your friend. That tea room is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful painting, Love in Bondage is such a handsome subject! xxx

      Delete
  2. I am drawn to The Blind Girl. Besides the fabulous colours something else speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lise! Its a beautiful and poignant piece, I always feel sad that she can't admire that rainbow. xxx

      Delete
  3. Great day out and I love your dress and wrap top! Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I dithered over those wrap tops for ages and decided to treat myself in their flash sale last week! xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Vic 👋🏻 What a dream day out! The colours in the artworks are just incredible.....And now I want to find some shoes like the model is wearing in Sigismonda Drinking The Poison! Rachael x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachael! Nikki and I were mesmerised by those shoes, too! They're so cool! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, that hall with Lucifer looks amazing. So much beautiful, expressive art. I love Medea. What a face. <3

    Your outfit looks fantastic. That wrap blouse really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vix, you are spoiling us fellow Pre- Raphaelite fans with such richness of colour and beauty. I have been to Birmingham art gallery and seen the wealth of great Pre-Raphaelite art they have on show. I shall now look up Southall in my art books to read more. Your Anokhi dress is really lovely and the gorgeous Phoebe Anna Traquair pendant too. Edinburgh has some of her stunning panels on show-if you’ve not seen them I think you might be wowed by them as was I. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alysia! They really are beautiful, aren't they? I always feel happy when I've spent time with the Pre-Raphs, there's always a new detail to pore over. I don't think I've seen Ariadne on Naxos in real life before and loved seeing a Greek landscape in a painting!
      Another friend has mentioned the Traquair panels and artwork in Edinburgh, I really must go! xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow! What a stunning collection. And Lily would love the swordfish painting - it's her favourite saying. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when I'm on my own, I always hve to join in when they make the "sorted" announcement on the train! xxx

      Delete
  8. My Oh my what a feast for the eyes! Art at its finest. Big broohaha going on up here because Edinburgh University want to cut 90 subjects from their itinerary, including textile and jewellery at the Edinburgh College of Art. No respect for the arts at Scottish Parliament. Love The Travelling Companions, their dresses are sumptious!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? That's outrageous. Art and design are so important, aren't they? Art makes life better and people who appreciate it are far nicer people than those who don't!
      The Travelling Companions was my Mum's favourite, she loved those gowns! xxx

      Delete
  9. What a day you had. Love it all.. good that you finally got to go in and enjoy the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fabulous! I love those paintings! x

      Delete
  10. I really must get up to the Museum and Art Gallery be still my heart all the wonderful Pre-Raphaelite works. I love the riding jacket. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I'm almost looking forward to the weather cooling down just so's I can wera that jacket!
      You must pop up and visit Birmingham. I'm so happy that the Pre-Raphs are back frm their long absence! xxx

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love it when you take us to Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery! The bull statue at New Street is the perfect meeting point. Nice of the bull to give you a wink.
    Speaking of statues, the Lucifer statue always get me. Fantastic sculpture in so many ways, it commands the space and the hall, doesn't it!
    Now, when it comes to Pre-Raphaelites, I could look at their art forever! So many classics right there! What treasure it is for this museum to have the largest collection of Pre-Raphaelites paintings! If I lived in vicinity, I'm sure I'd visit it often. Perhaps some day I'll get to visit it myself, but in the meantime I enjoy it through your blog.
    I didn't notice it before, but Beauty Receiving the White Rose From Her Father by Joseph Edward Southall reminds me a lot of the famous Helen of Troy Pre-Raphaelite painting by Evelyn De Morgan. The pink flowy dress both painted beauties wear is almost identical....plus the colour of their hair seems to be similar, strawberry blonde. I googled the Beauty painting and only then it hit me that it was inspired by the famous Beauty and the Beast fairytale. I didn't connect the dots immediately. Now, I see it of course, but still I see a certain similarity to Helen of Troy. The composition is different, but I can't help noticing how similar it is to Evelyn's imagining of Helen. Apparently, these two were painted the same year! I wonder if there is some connection between these two paintings. The Beauty seems to stand out in this painting. Moreover, the rest of the people featured on this painting are dressed in what appears to be medieval inspired clothes, while the Beauty has this flowy pink tunics that looks like something ancient Greeks would wear...and the flowing fabric around her invokes the birth of Venus. The Beauty's father (in the painting) is wearing boots, and she is wearing Greek style sandals.....The Beauty is the only one who is dressed in Greek style in the painting, everyone else wears medieval clothes. Plus, the Helen of Troy is surrounded by white roses, while the Beauty is given a white rose. Very fascinating stuff.
    Another painting with a lady and a rose that caught my eye is Portrait of Anne Elizabeth Baker by Joseph Edward Southall. She looks so alive, like she is starring back at us...and her hair looks so natural.
    Prosipine by Dante Gabriel Rosetti is a painting that simply shines. The highlights are unreal.
    The way fabric is depicted on Morgan le Fey by Frederick Sandys is awe-inspiring. The leopard skin looks 3D.
    Medea by Frederick Sandys is an unsettling as one would expect....The painter captured the divided emotions on her face perfectly.
    Another favourite of mine is Valentine Rescuing Sylvia by William Holman Hunt. The painter captures the light and shadow so perfectly.
    I could talk about these paintings forever...
    I love your outfit...and your blonde hair. The kantha riding jacket that Nikki gave you is wonderful. So great you were able to meet up with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! It's lovely to read an artist's thoughts on these wonderful paintings. Even though I know so many of these works from years of visiitng the gallery I always spot a little detail I'd not noticed before. I love standing behind people and watching their reactions when they've not seen the work before, its like discovering it all over again. xxx

      Delete
  13. Those PreRaphaelite pictures never cease to amaze me, particularly fascinating women, the colours and details and the gothic-inspired hyperrealistic vibe (I always notice the perspective and the drape of clothes being so dramatic!)
    I've re-watched the photos again and again!
    And obviously I do love your outfit (and Nikki's one too) and totally agree that clothes look different when your hair colour has changed. And that jacket looks gorgeous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! The clothes in the Pre-Raphaelite paintings are so sumptious, it blows my mind how they portray velvet to look so rich and sumptous! There was a schoolgirl sitting opposite Prosperine and sketching the folds of her gown as she'd never seen anything so lovely! xxx

      Delete
  14. Wowsers - sensory overload (and that is just me 😄) I don't know where to start, so - here I go - your hair, being lighter suits you soooo well :)
    Of all the paintings - The Last of England - Ford Maddox Brown - has so much hidden yet visible of the pain of leaving what was and the angst of the unknown. The small hidden hand in the shawl is the most poignant.
    I shall go back and look at all the art work again - I have a soft spot for the Pre-Raphaelites.
    As for the Maggie milk snatcher Thatcher painting - Joe Lycett did that in under an hour - I 'watched' him on line doing it. What a contrast to the Pre-Raphaelites, almost marshmallow after a heavy roast.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! They are incredible, aren't they? It was so exciting to be amongst a group of teenaged schoolgirls who were seeing the Pre-Raphs for the first time and being so enamoured by them.
      The Last of England is so poignant, it was only about five years ago when I noticed that tiny hand for the first time.
      I had no idea Joe Lycett did that Thatcher painting in less than an hour! Its such an uplifting and witty exhibition and i bet its inspired loads of kids to try art! xxx

      Delete
  15. The perfect outfit for a perfect day out!
    What a treat to see those Pre-Raphaelite artworks again, even if I only accompanied you vicariously this time.
    How gorgeous is that kantha riding jacket! Swoon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I saw some of those paintings I was with you! xxx

      Delete
  16. Ozzy roaring and blinking at you on the station made me smile, what a way to start the day. And chaat with an IPA after all those paintings sounds like the perfect lunch. Lovely day out, and that tea room looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I'd not seen Ozzy roar for ages, it always makes the tourists jump when he does.
      It was a great day, Birmingham really is a brilliant city! xxx

      Delete
  17. The colors and richness of detail in the Pre-Raphaelite paintings are entrancing -- but "entranced" is also (almost) the word I'd use to describe that odd staring facial expression of the models. Does it have a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth! I could stare at those painting all day, I know many from childhood but still spot things I've missed years later. The dreamy gaze? I've read differing reasons behind it. Some say it was believed that the Victorian public would be offended by a woman in a picture looking directly at them, behaving in a "wanton" way whilst others believed it wsa to make the subject more dream-like and poetic! xxx

      Delete
  18. Wow, wow, wow what amazing photographs, you do the exhibition justice ... and lunch looked good too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Art, great company and Indian food, can't get much better! xxx

      Delete
  19. I never get tired of the Pre-Raphaelites.

    Love your new dress, and Nikki's jacket is gorgeous! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, yay, I love seeing you and Nikki having an outing. What amazing paintings! I love the details (like that wee cat!) and the ethereal colours, so gorgeous. You always look amazing, and I smiled at your "hand party" around your chaat attack (which looks delicious!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like that cat! I'm all about the details! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix