Friday, 25 September 2026

Art Star: Warhol in Wolverhampton


Another day, another cultural day out! Yesterday Liz and I visited Andy Warhol: Art Star at Wolverhampton Art Gallery.



One of the most influential American artists to emerge in the 20th Century, Andy Warhol (1928 - 1987) was a leading figure in the Pop Art movement, reimagining what art could be at a time of great social, political and technological change.

In conjunction with Tate and National Galleries Scotland, Art Star includes drawings, photographs and paintings from the 1950s to the 1980s, including iconic painted works featuring Andy Warhol's artists, friends, filmmakers and celebrities.

Wandering this incredible exhibition featuring work we've been familiar with for most of our lives, it occured to us that he died at just 58, a year younger than Liz and I's current age.

Apologies for the very image heavy post, I couldn't help myself! 


Blogger decided to upload my photos in the wrong order. These black and white screen prints were created in the 1980s and signalled a return to the politics of his earlier work. The hamburger is said to represent the mushroom cloud of the atomic bomb, not at all wholesome or delicious.


"Always leave them wanting less" -Andy Warhol


“I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want.”
― Andy Warhol


“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art”― Andy Warhol



“An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have.”
― Andy Warhol


"Beauty is a sign of intelligence"- Andy Warhol 


“Sometimes the little times you don't think are anything while they're happening turn out to be what marks a whole period of your life.”― Andy Warhol


“I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumours to my dogs”― Andy Warhol



“If a person isn’t generally considered beautiful, they can still be a success if they have a few jokes in their pockets. And a lot of pockets”― Andy Warhol


“I think it would be very glamorous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor's finger.”
― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol


“But I always say, one's company, two's a crowd, and three's a party”― Andy Warhol


“You know it's ART, when the check clears”― Andy Warhol


"I wonder if it's possible to have a love affair that lasts forever" - Andy Warhol


“I just do art because I’m ugly and there’s nothing else for me to do”― Andy Warhol


“It’s not what you are that counts, it’s what they think you are”― Andy Warhol


“I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens”― Andy Warhol



"My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person"- Andy Warhol


“A picture means I know where I was every minute. That's why I take pictures. It's a visual diary.”
― Andy Warhol


“I wake up every morning. I open my eyes and think: here we go again.”
― Andy Warhol


“The best thing about a photograph is that it never changes. Even if the people in it do.”
― Andy Warhol


“Before I was shot, I always thought that I was more half-there than all-there – I always suspected that I was watching TV instead of living life. People sometimes say that the way things happen in movies is unreal, but actually it's the way things happen in life that's unreal. The movies make emotions look so strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it's like watching television – you don't feel anything. Right when I was being shot and ever since, I knew that I was watching television. The channels switch, but it's all television." ― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol


“I learned that you actually have more power when you shut up.”
― Andy Warhol, POPism: The Warhol Sixties
 

“I see art in everything. Your shoes. That car. This coffee cup. It's art if you see it as art.”
― Andy Warhol


“I like money on the wall. Say you were going to buy a $200,000 painting. I think you should take that money, tie it up, and hang it on the wall. Then when someone visited you the first thing they would see is the money on the wall.”― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol


“What’s great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest” ― Andy Warhol


“And your own life while it's happening to you never has any atmosphere until it's a memory”― Andy Warhol


“Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?”― Andy Warhol


“You’d be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes.”
― Andy Warhol


“In the future, everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes.”― Andy Warhol


“I am a deeply superficial person”
― Andy Warhol


“People's fantasies are what give them problems. If you didn't have fantasies you wouldn't have problems because you'd just take whatever was there.”― Andy Warhol


“Why do people spend their time being sad when they could be happy?”― Andy Warhol


“I never think that people die. They just go to department stores.”
― Andy Warhol


“The world fascinates me”― Andy Warhol


“I always run into strong women who are looking for weak men to dominate them”― Andy Warhol


“Beauty in danger becomes more beautiful”― Andy Warhol, Fame


“Security breeds stagnation”― Andy Warhol


“Most people in America think Art is a man's name”― Andy Warhol


“I never wanted to be a painter; I wanted to be a tap dancer”― Andy Warhol


“I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning”― Andy Warhol


"I think everybody should like everybody" - Andy Warhol


“Sometimes people let the same problem make them miserable for years when they could just say, "So what."
"My mother didn't love me." So what.
"My husband won't ball me. So what.
"I'm a success but I'm still alone." So what.
I don't know how I made it through all the years before I learned how to do that trick. It took a long time for me to learn it, but once you do, you never forget”
― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol


“Everyone winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight”― Andy Warhol


“During the 1960s, I think, people forgot what emotions were supposed to be. And I don't think they've ever remembered” ― Andy Warhol


“Buying is much more American than thinking”
― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol


“Just because people throw it out and don't have any use for it, doesn't mean it's garbage.”
― Andy Warhol


“The only time I ever want to be something is outside a party so I can get in.”
― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol


“I really do live for the future, because when I'm eating a box of candy, I can't wait to taste the last piece. I don't even taste any of the other pieces, I just want to finish and throw the box away and not have to have it on my mind any more. I would rather either have it now or know I'll never have it so I don't have to think about it”
― Andy Warhol



“The idea is not to live forever, but create something that will”
― Andy Warhol


If you want to learn more about Warhol's work I cannot recommend the BBC's stupendous documentary series The Art of America highly enough, it's one of the best art series I've ever seen and is still available on the i-player. 


Andy Warhol: Art Star runs until 4th October, 2026. The non-concessionary adult ticket price is £9 and, in my humble opinion, worth every penny!


Since we've been back from End of the Road, I've listed over 300 items on Vinted. 


Sales have been good and today's been the first day in over a fortnight when we've not had parcels to drop off. Earlier this week I decided to blitz my own wardrobe, putting away my festival clothes and the flimsiest of my dresses and selling things I'm not longer feeling the love for on my personal Vinted account. I've now got a whopping 21 empty coat hangers and a lot more space in my wardrobe, making choosing what to wear every day a little easier.


I've not touched up my roots all summer and, what with two Greek holidays, three festivals and five heatwaves, my hair has reverted back to its natural dirty blonde, a sight not seen since 2006! As a consequence the clothes I've worn for years look very different, like this 1960s Dollyrockers dress I bought from Second to None 17 years ago.


My All About Audrey maxi, purchased from one of their flash sales two years ago and a travel staple, also feels fresh and exciting. Monday was so warm I wore it to the pub and didn't even need the jacket I stuffed into my bag to walk back home after dark.


Enjoying a significantly uncluttered wardrobe I didn't intend to buy this dress, I just "liked" it when it popped up on Vinted as it's the alternative colourway to the one I bought from Anokhi in Mumbai back in 2020. It seemed rude not to buy it when the seller offered it me for a price I couldn't refuse. It got its first outing today, a day so mild that I walked to the swimming pool at 7am with bare arms!


Thanks as always for reading, have a fabulous weekend and see you soon!

49 comments:

  1. A great post. I enjoyed every picture and every line. There is so much wit and wisdom in the quotes.
    Your hair color looks much lighter next to the purple dress, and I love the outfit in light brown tones with your hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Andrea. He was a mesmerising character.
      It seems very strange to see myself with blonde hair after twenty years of being a brunette, my clothes and make-up look very different! x

      Delete
  2. I am in such a need of a haircut and it grows very fast, give or take many, many pounds, we could be hair twins when mine is down! I love an explore in a good gallery and a find the treasures for myself wander so didnt mind a bit the order of your photos. We have a couple galleries in Minneapolis with Warhol's but I've never seen a whole gallery space dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your hair down, Sam! Mine grows really quickly, too - I think the trim I had back in May did it the world of good! Andy warhol was such a fascinating man, I was so excited to see his work in real life! x

      Delete
  3. Cool exhibit. Love your lilac dress as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fab, I want to go back! x

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was so exciting to see them in real life! x

      Delete
  5. Hello, what is your name on Vinted? Searched for Kinky melon but no hits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! If you click on the "Shop Kinky" link on my blog sidebar you'll find our listings. Our Vinted name is: kinkyretro70

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the Warhol, really fab. I love your hair how it looks currently, it looks so pretty with the mauve colours. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! That's very kind.
      I loved seeing more of Warhol's work, what a clever man he was! x

      Delete
  7. Wow, the Andy Warhol exhibition looks absolutely mind-blowing. I'm also loving the quotes you've added. He really was quite the character, wasn't he?
    Your hair looks fantastic and is looking particularly fabulous with the Dollyrockers dress.
    Well done for uncluttering your wardrobe. One day, I'm planning to do the same! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was such an interesting man. I loved how he wore his wigs like hats, with his real hair showing beneath them, enjoying the deliberate artifice.
      I keep doing a double take when I see myself in the mirror, its still a bit strange but its fun when I wear clothes I've had for years, they look very different now!
      Good luck with the decluttering - I'm trying not to refill al those hangers! xxx

      Delete
  8. Fab post Vix, I love your purple dresses they are beautiful. I just had a look at your biog page and I see that your favourite books and films are the same as mine in many instances especially, “A Kind of Loving”, “Room At the Top” etc. My son bought me the CDs of them all years ago and I just love them. There are follow up films too like, “Life At the Top” which is very good also. “Spring and Port Wine” and “The Family Way” are similar era films. I love the clothes and decor in the films. The Warhol exhibition looks fab we may get to see it if we travel down that way on the way to London, a bit of a detour but worth it I think. The Warhol/Basquiat poster is hilarious! (This is Shelagh btw)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shelagh! I discovered my mum's stash of 1960s kitchen sink novels when I was at junior school, Alfie, Poor Cow and The L Shaped Room were so much more thrilling than Enid Blyton! I shall see if I can hunt down your recommendations, I've got a feeling I might have seen Life at the Top but I'd be more than happy to revisit!
      I think on eof the reasons I loved The Smiths so much was that they used a lot of the images of those films on their record sleeves.
      The Warhol show was fantastic, well worth a diversion. Wolverhampton' Art Gallery is really good and their cafe is superb! xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi, Vix! Lovely to see you and your friend Liz. You both looked gorgeous in your outfits for visiting the Andy Warhol exhibition. You look great with blond hair. It gives off summer vibes. I know it is your natural colour, but it feels like a fresh change...still gorgeous, though.
    Fantastic outfit roundup.
    Andy Warhol was a fascinating person. The more I learn of him, the more I'm intrigued. His art is very interesting and thought provoking. Thank you for sharing all this. I enjoyed visiting this exhibition digitally with the help of your blog.
    Thank you for your Bollywood recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana!
      Andy Warhol was such a fascinating character, such a shame he's no longer with us, I'd love to have known his thoughts on modern life, fast fashion and our disposable society. xxx

      Delete
    2. I'm sure he would have something interesting to say about it!

      Delete
  10. Loving your lighter hair colour it suits the lilac dress perfectly. A dozen or so years ago I took my youngest niece to the Warhol exhibition at the Tate, Liverpool, she was studying him for Art ‘O’ Level and she was entranced especially the immersive room featuring Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, even I was very impressed, my favourite picture is of Robert Mapplethorpe as I am a big fan of the late photographer and his muse Patti Smith. Glad you enjoyed the experience, more outfits please to the suiting of your ‘dirty blonde’ hair, thanx for a great post. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan! Thanks so much for the comment.
      How fantastic that you took your niece to the Warhol show at Liverpool's Tate (which, to my shame, I've yet to visit). You're a cool auntie! I bet the immersive experience was brilliant.
      Like you, I'm a huge fan of both Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe. I came across a book of his photography at Walsall Library when I was still a teenager and had it on loan for almost a year. xxx

      Delete
  11. Yea for Wolverhampton Art Gallery! I used to pass it every school day when I changed buses and did go in once in a while! Thanks for putting it on the map!
    I really like the lighter color of your hair and hope you will leave it that way, at least for a while.
    My favorite outfits are the purple dress and the very last one. You have the perfect career for rotating your wardrobe, JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan! It's a fantastic gallery and their permananet collection of Pop Art is said to be the biggest in the UK (another post in the offing!) The onsite cafe is great and they even run DJ sessions in galleries upstairs in the early evening.
      I'm enjoying my new hair, I look so different in photographs now! xxx

      Delete
  12. The Warhol exhibition is just fabulous!
    Wolvo Art Gallery really is a lovely place.

    Loving your 'new' hair. And the Anokhi dress is gorgeous. It always good to change things up, especially when the seasons roll over.

    I adore my Kinky skirt and waistcoat. I'll put a picture up if I can get organised. I'm thinking of resurrecting my blog as project for the Winter. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for Wolvo! It is a great space, I don't visit as much as I should.
      I'm glad you're enjoying your new Kinky gear, I was particularly taken with the kitschy label on that waistcoat! I can't wait to see you wearing tem! xxx

      Delete
  13. What a fabulous exhibition - I didn't know I liked Andy Warhol until I read your post!!! I used to think his art was fake and contrived - just being honest, but how wrong could I be - I actually like his quotes far more than his art - clever, witty and true and many of them resonate - not flippant or trivial, some are absolute classics that should be framed along with his art! Yes Vix, I like your ligher hair colour, its so much softer and really works for you. I also like your dresses as always (especially the AAA ones). I was in All About Audrey Brighton store on my monthly visit last week and met the owner herself running the till - a lovely Scottish lady, she is so vibrant and full of enthusiasm for her products but also her customers and was pleased to see me wearing one of her kaftans. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty! I can see why you originally thought that about Warol's art. His message was quite subtle and reading some of his quotes you get a real sense of the man behind the soup cans and brillo pads!
      I'm envious of you meeting the Audrey lady, I love it when she posts little videos of herself wearing her clothes on Facebook, she's so stylish! I bet she was thrilled seeing you in one of her creations. I've acquired two more of her wrap tops, one from the sale and one via Vinted! xxx

      Delete
  14. Such beautiful photos—
    so much art and so many quotes;
    I really loved some of them!
    Andy Warhol was an incredible personality...
    Your hair looks wonderful like that.
    The purple dress suits you so well.
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blondes have more fun! Love your lighter look. I thought the dark haired beauty
    in the Warhol looked like you. I have the ubiquitous Campbell's postcard from a recent Warhol exhibition in Edinburgh. We've got the Bowie exhibition coming soon to the V&A Dundee. Looking forward to seeing it.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been both, although the dirty blonde is getting a lot more female attention of late!
      The Campbell's Soup is iconic, I was very excited to see it in real life. I bet the Bowie exhibition will be fab! x

      Delete
  16. The Andy Warhol exhibition looks fantastic and thanks for sharing all those quotes of his, they are absolutely brilliant. Those coat hangers will no doubt fill up again over the Winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! He was a witty chap as well as a talented one!
      You're right, I'm sure those coathangers won't stay empty for long, I've already filled three of them! x

      Delete
  17. Very cool. Off topic... You shares a curry recipe yonks and yonks ago tomatoes, onions, curry leaves and then some other stuff. Ive used it and was brill however Ive now lost it!! Can you please please please share again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The South Indian one? I think it might be this recipe for a basic curry paste we learnt in Kerala.

      200gms red onions
      100gms chopped or tinned tomatoes
      6 cloves of garlic
      10gms fresh ginger, peeled
      1 tsp turmeric powder
      1/4 tsp chilli powder
      8 tsp coriander powder
      1 tsp garam masala
      1/2 tsp salt
      2 tsp veg oil
      1 cup of water

      Finely slice the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger, pop into a food mixer (with the water) and blend to a smooth paste.
      Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large saucepan, then add the paste.
      Add the chilli, coriander, garam masala and salt & gently cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
      Remove from heat & cool before refrigerating. It'll keep in an airtight container for up to a week.

      Delete
  18. What a fab exhibition and good value entry price. What I love about these is that you get to see a far wider range of an artist's work and come away with a better understanding of what they created beyond the famous pieces. Enjoyed the Escher one in London with a friend for the same reasons last month. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, you really get a better understanding of the person behind the art when there's such a wealth of their work in the collection.
      I bet the Escher exhibit was wonderfeul, I picked up a coffee table book of his work a few months ago. xxx

      Delete
  19. Hi Vix, many thanks indeed for giving us all a real flavour of the Andy Warhol exhibition. They certainly had some cracking works of his on show. I remember many years ago ( late 80s) going to see an exhibition of his very early work as an illustrator of women's shoes ( lovely drawing) and being very impressed by his skill. Some of the quotes of his that you have included seem now very prescient. It is a pity that he is no longer here to give a commentary on current times and to be part of our digital and virtual world where we can all be famous for 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alysia! I'd forgotten that he was a commercial artist before his success, he was a man of many talents, wasn't he? YI bet he'd have been fascinated by "influencers" and reality TV.
      I really enjoyed Guy Pearce's portrayal of him in Factory Girl, I might see if I can find it online and rewatch it. xxx

      Delete
  20. I love Andy Warhol, I was obsessed with his work when I studied photography in 6th form, but these quotes are so accurate. Whatever your hair colour you always look amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Louise! Warhol's quotes are fab. It was very exciting to see som eof his photograph albums but sadly they didn't photograph very well! xxx

      Delete
  21. The Andy Warhol exhibition looks simply wonderful, both the images and the quotes. He surely was a man ahead of his time. I saw an exhibition of his work in Bilboa, Spain on one of our trips.
    Your Summer blonde is such a change but looks so good .
    Well done on selling clothes that no longer feel like you, something I really need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed seeing Warhol's work in real life, Jill. He was a very witty and insightful man.
      I'm quite enjoying the new me when I look in the mirror! My hair is getting a lot of comments from people I've not seen over the summer. xxx

      Delete
  22. What an absolutely brilliant exhibition!
    I love his work and your visit has introduced me to some of his art I've not seen before😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! There were afew I was unfamiliar with, too - his pencil sketches are excellent! x

      Delete
  23. Wow, you brought us with you to the exhibition! Fascinating stuff. I enjoyed the quotes a lot!
    How fortunate about that dress from Anokhi. My colleague was wearing a nice block print shirt the other day and I asked if it was Anokhi but she said it was FabIndia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy Warhol was such a wit. It was so exciting to see those artworks in real life.
      FabIndia make some beautiful things, I've visited one of their workshops in Gujarat and they treat their artisans very well so they're made with love, too! xxx

      Delete
  24. Ok, this super fantastic trip to the see the art 'with' you brought a film I hadn't seen since it was new to mind. Did you see Basquiat in the year of our Lord, 1996? Just looked up the trailer and the cast was astonishing. It also gave me vapors of nostalgia for a time that somehow still feels more 'modern'/fresh than today. Or maybe it's that I was more modern and fresh. Either way I'm gonna watch it and you might consider watching it too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Always lovely to see some Art (particularly that colourful and unruly PopArt) and read some Andy Warhol's quotes. "I am a deeply superficial person" sounds perfectly appropriate!
    besos

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix