Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Checking In!

 

I've become one of those annoying people who publishes posts without visiting other blogs. Life's pretty hectic at the moment so apologies to my blog-writing sisters, normal service should (hopefully) resume soon.

 
Before we left for Womad we went to see the superb The Invite at Walsall Light, as recommended by our swimming pal, Nigel (and The Guardian). Inspired by Olivia Wilde's updo in the film, I've been wearing mine in a similar way. 

 

After cataloguing my outfits almost daily on TikTok for the best part of a year I've taken a break, taking pleasure in wearing the same clothes on repeat when I'm not on show at the festivals. This 1970s sundress was bought from the Vintage Relics £5 rail at End of the Road in 2024.  For the first time in my make-up wearing life, I've ditched the under-eye liner and just draw a flicky line on my upper lid using these £3 pens by Trouble Maker from Superdrug. 


They last for hours, never need reapplying and I can even swim in them. They're probably aimed at teenagers but who cares?


 Tidying a drawer I uncovered a box of belly button studs I thought I'd parted with years ago. I used to change them regularly but have stuck with a ring for the last 25 years, I'm liking the change!

We saw The Odyssey at Walsall Light on the weekend it was released. Having read Homer's account many times I initially found myself getting irritated by Christopher Nolan's interpretation but, once I'd told myself that it was entertainment and not a faithful study in Ancient Greek mythology, I settled down, stopped finding fault and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I love that we're still being entertained by a story written at least three thousand years ago.


Here's the revised make-up look in closer detail. Several of you have mentioned how much lighter my hair is, it isn't intentional, just a side-effect of our gloriously hot Summer, but I'm loving the change.



 
On Saturday it was the grand opening of Liz and her friend, Simon Tew's What A Wonderful World: Two Ways of Seeing exhibition at the Rose Patterson Gallery at Weston Park in Shropshire. Their art is incredible and the turn-out was fantastic. It was great to catch up with so many friends, most of whom, in my current live in the moment mood, I didn't get around to photographing.

Photo courtesy of my friend, Annie! 

 The exhibition runs until 3rd September and both Liz & Simon will be running demos throughout, for more info check out Liz's socials HERE.















We've been frantically shopping to restock the rails for Beautiful Days and, you know how it is, when you're not purposefully looking, something you never knew you needed always pops up.


This Ulisse walking stick stool for instance. Designed by Ivan Loss in 1981, there's one on display in the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam and they're higly collectible (HERE) I paid £3. I'm continuing with my osteopathic treatments and my hip's pretty good at the moment but at least I can look stylish when I do need my stick!



This Kashmiri crewelwork silk rug was £2 in another chazza. It's got loops at the back so I'll probably hang it rather than have it on the floor as William is still bringing us mangled mice!


Remember me mentioning buying a couple of things at Womad? Well, here's the dendritic agate and sterling silver ring I bought from our lovely neighbours, Glitzy Vintage Jewellery...


Is it just me or does it remind you of the iconic Japanese woodblock print, The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai (1760 - 1849)? 

And don't faint when you see this (like I nearly did!), an Arts and Crafts enamel, silver and peridot pendant featuring a bathing nymph by, I believe, Scottish artist Phoebe Anna Traquair (1852  - 1936). I swear I will never need to buy another necklace again, I have attained the pinnacle of antique jewellery perfection! Clara and Kyle, I love you!


The most momentous news is that tomorrow (5th August) marks Jon's 60th birthday and the celebrations have already begun. Last night Liz and Al picked us up and we had a few beers in Aldridge Spoons before a curry in Laboni where, as usual, the wonderful staff treated us like royality, hanging up birthday banners and surprising Jon with a pistachio kulfi complete with sparkler!





He was allowed to open his from Liz & Al present early ....
 

I think he liked it! 










What are we doing for his actual birthday? Stay tuned! 

See you soon! 

31 comments:

  1. Your new make up routine makes you look even more gorgeous than usual Vix! Happy Birthday to Jon from a musician's wife on the Black Sea :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JON! πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‰ you look fab with your new make up Vix. I hope you both have loads of fun for Kon’s birthday xx ( This is Shelagh btw)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon’s 🀦‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Jon!!! Ooh, that watch looks very fancy!!!
    I love your foldy stool stick.
    I hope Womad was fun.
    I've been pretty bad about checking blogs and commenting. Admittedly, I've been away and without a computer, where I do most of my commenting. For 2 weeks but I was home for a few days.
    I think your make up and hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That jewellery is swoon worthy, fabulous pieces. Happy bday to Jon, hope he had a great celebration. Wondering around galleries is my atheist soul equivalent of church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Jon. We saw the Odyssey over the weekend as well and enjoyed it very much. The eldest was the only one of us who had read it and also had a few issues with it. I do want to watch The Invite as well. Your hair looks fab as to your electrifying nails!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many happy returns Jon - hope the big day is filled with nice surprises. Vix your jewellery is stunning, I like your bathing nymph pendant. Congratulations to your talented friend for her interesting and desirable art work. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Jon! Wishing you more wonderful celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy soon-to-be 60th, Jon. xxx Liz's art is so amazing, and different. And, finally - sometimes we do get to the stage of having to retire the black under-eye-liner (sob!! I still miss it)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new makeup style. It's so much more flattering. Happy birthday Jon. Mine is 6th August. We have tickets to ride Tornado from Pickering on Thursday. I love steam trains.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Jon. I enjoyed the Odyssey too - a tale as old as time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Jon, many happy returns - you are rocking 60!! πŸ•Ί 🍾 πŸŽ‰ 🎁

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Jon. Lovely watch and the necklace is so amazing. The ring does look like the Wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comment. I didn’t realize I was logged out. I drove six hours yesterday but managed to shop in seven thrifts buying my creative stuff and four bracelets.

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday Jon!
    Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Love your necklace Vix, doesn’t she look so relaxed in her pond.
    Really enjoyed your WOMAD post, all those lovely, fun pictures of people having a good time.
    This weather has been gorgeous, although we had a lot of rain this morning it didn’t do much for the garden.
    MrsCatz xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice catchup! The jewelry purchases are phenomenal. Your new look is light and pretty...perfect for August and that dress...perfection. I wear so little make up as both never been great at applying, and have an eye sensitivity to so many things so have to be careful even with non eye makeup. I love a good mascara and lip color/ moisturizer though. Happy Birthday to Jon. 60 is a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like a very happy birthday celebration. I LOVE your new make-up style, it's really flattering, goes so much better with your new lighter hair colour, and is much lighter for this time of year especially.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vix, well, you publish without visiting blogs and I always read your blog without publishing and rarely commenting!! But on holiday now so no excuse.Hello again from sweltering Barcelona!! Wishing Jon a very Happy Birthday! Love to accompany you on all your adventures. Have a great summer!! Diana xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hair is looking super fabulous. I am just green with envy at your most beautiful pendant. It is so special, I love it so very much. Happy birthday to Jon, enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was fab to see you both at the exhibition.
    Happy Birthday to Jon. An exciting blog ahead πŸ™‚ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing what a small change in make-up can make - I like both modes! I'm also an under-the-eye-liner gal (I feel like my eyes disappear without it). Happy 60th, Jon!! Logan says Happy Birthday as well!
    Your new walking stick/stool is fabulous, Vix! How handy to have a seat when you need one.
    Loved seeing the exhibit - Liz is so talented! That underwater painting is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday John! Another August baby

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW ! Ten years younger looking in an instance.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday to Jon. The pendant is fsbulous

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don’t feel bad about not visiting blogs, I am in exactly the same position at the moment. Life is so busy and I want to get it written while I remember it, but then feel guilty about not reading my usual round of fabulous blogs! Anyway, I’m here now! That arts and crafts pendant is absolutely amazing. I’ve never seen anything like it. Happy birthday Jon! It looks like a good start to the festivities. The exhibition looked fabulous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Vix, you don't need to feel bad, you're a great blogger and never annoying!, Real Life can be hectic, difficult or just busy and we, real people, totally understand it!
    Love those little changes,, your makeup looks fab and that belly button totally rocks!, and matches your fab jewellery!. Speaking of Fab Jewellery (with Capitals), those new pieces you acquired really impressed me!, WoW! that arts&crafts pendant is F*ck*n'Gorgeous. Totally in love with it. And that ring is massive magnificence!.
    That Art looks amazing and inspiring and incredible, and your friends look really stylish too!.
    Sending my best wishes, Happy Birthday to Jon and hope you're enjoying great celebrations!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  26. Belated Birthday Wishes to Jon! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look great in white. Hope Jon had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Belated birthday greetings to the sexagenarian in your life! Great jewellery and nice watch!xx,

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy belated birthday to Jon! What a wonderful looking exhibition.I'm so glad to her the osteopath is helping with your hip. xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Belated happy birthday, Jon!

    :"One of those annoying people who publishes posts without visiting other blogs" Errrrr... (Hehehehe!)

    Living in the moment is good! No time for overthinking, just getting caught up in enjoying things is great. And it looks like you've had loads of moments worth living in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix