Friday 5 January 2018

In It For The Long Haul - Travel Outfits, Packing & Charity Shop Finds




Compared to what I've worn earlier this week I'm looking rather muted today.


Technically though this isn't today's outfit but rather tonight's as it's what I'll be wearing on my epic journey to India. We're flying from Birmingham to Paris then on to Mumbai and, after a six hour stopover, on to Bhuj where we'll be picked up by a driver sent by the family who own the haveli in Gujarat in which we'll be staying for the first week of our trip.


My dress is (don't faint) a new purchase which I spotted on-line while looking for inspiration, although it's modern I loved the sleeves and the faux Indian block print. I needed something comfortable which wouldn't crease on our long journey and could cope with being screwed up in the bottom of my bag without taking up valuable space and would look halfway decent for the journey home a month later whilst still being "me" - a tough ask. At £7 (including postage) I didn't expect it to look as good as it did on the model but was pleasantly surprised when it turned up. It weighs virtually nothing, is lined and has no fiddly fastenings - one less thing to set the alarms off when I go through departures.


What to wear on my feet? It's too cold to travel in sandals. Last night I remembered my vintage Italian-made canvas & leather pirate boots festering at the bottom of the wardrobe, I think most of us had these in the 1980s, didn't we? These came from a car boot sale and cost 25p. Like the dress they weigh virtually nothing and can be stashed away in my bag for the rest of our India trip and, a massive plus, I can get them on and off without having to bend down - I'm such a cripple when it's cold.


I loved this pompom trimmed length of poly cotton when I spotted it in the "Three for £1" bucket in the charity shop clearance shop on Wednesday. It's labelled as a size 16 so I think it's a beach skirt rather than a scarf, but there's masses of it which should keep my neck cosy on the flight (fecking air con, I hate it!) and double up as a beach cover up when we get to Goa.


In the same bucket I also spotted this Indian bag, still in the cellophane packaging...yes, more pompoms! The lady at the counter told me to get something else to get my £1's worth but I was happy with just the bag and the scarf. I've taken out my Rajasthani leather bag as the zip's on the blink and replaced it with this one.


Jon's travelling in an embroidered denim shirt by Firetrap, Topman carrot-leg chinos, a vintage tooled leather belt and vintage desert boots (all of which he found in charity shops).

Clockwise from top left: Hand loom cotton granddad shirt (bought in India); Diesel tee shirt (charity shop); Hand loom, block printed granddad shirt (bought in India); Swim shorts (birthday present from me); Quiksilver back pack & cross body bag by Clarks', vintage Kangol cap (all charity shopped); Linen trousers (retail, on sale); Sarongs and scarves (India & chazza shopped); Petrol blue shorts (charity shop); Swim shorts (bought for our trip to Corfu); Candy stripe cotton granddad shirt (charity shop); Printed tailored shorts (charity shop); Vintage Gabicci silk shirt (nicked from the stockroom); Pink tailored shorts (bought for Corfu); Black seersucker granddad shirt (bought in India). Not pictured - three pairs of sandals, sunglasses.

You've seen my travel wardrobe so I thought I'd show you what Jon's packed in his bag - well, half in his bag and half in mine, just in case we have any luggage mishaps. I've nagged him to try everything on before he packed it so he doesn't end up with a pair of shorts two sizes too big like last year!


Before I go....look! I made psychedelic granny squares! I was hoping to whip myself up a little crochet halterneck for my travels but I best not run before I can walk...my crochet creation can wait for the festival season.



That's it, I've dyed my hair, done my eyelash extensions and painted my toenails, I just need to have a bath and shave my legs and maybe squeeze in a bit more crochet.

See you in February!


57 comments:

  1. have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your travelling outfit, and the last minute purchases. You could have warned about the granny squares though, they're so bright you need sunglasses! Have a wonderful trip and see you in February! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! The new frock is gorgeous and a steal at seven quid and I think your bargain scarf was originally Sainsburys as I have a photo of me wearing the same item. (my aunt's, but she lent it to me when we were in France as I took a fancy to it) Going to miss your posts... as usual, but can't wait to read all about your adventures. Have a fabulous time both!
    You've cracked the granny squares! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great trip. Look forward to seeing you brighten up our February with the details of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure! It's great that you are flying away & escaping this dreary weather-that Beach looks so lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awh have the best time ever you two and come back with lots of pics and stories to show and tell.
    I’m mad jealous you’ve conquered that craft crotchet malarkey. And no I didn’t have any of those boots first time round haha.
    Loads of love to you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great trip, look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I must now officially have been following your blog for two whole years, as this will be the third of your trips to India that I have enjoyed vicariously! I hope you have a wonderful holiday, and I shall look forward to seeing the pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have the best trip of your life. Lots of leisure,lots of fun, lots of exploration and lots of good health and happiness. May your holiday feel lasts its years but know we will want to know all about it when you make a safe return. Lots and lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. that dress looks like a thrifted find! Would have never guessed it new. Have a wonderful trip. On a weather note, I haven't frozen and the weather channel says next Thursday it will be 71!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress is perfect for you and travelling. Glad you got such an amazing deal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wish you a smooth flight and marvelous weeks in india!
    love your travel look - gorgeous colors and the boots are so cool. good for jon to be sure everything fits :-)
    and i needed sunglasses for your granny squares - so wonderful bright!
    pet an elephant for me!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I commented at work, and was really chuffed to be first ... then my comment just disappeared. I'm loving your travel outfit and your last minute chazza finds. Those granny squares! They're so bright you need sunglasses! Have a wonderful trip and see you in February with tales of your adventures! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have an amazing trip...I look forwards to seeing lots of photos bursting with colour next month!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a wonderful time! You deserve it...can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun and catch some sun for me! Can't wait to see the pictures that you take there! The granny squares look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a great trip, can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a wonderful, wonderful time! Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a great trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing the pics when you back to subzero UK :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exciting or what, have the best time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your new bag and that dress was a steal, it looks great too.
    You've both got your packing down to a fine art.
    Your crochet is looking totally fabulous, I love it.
    Have a wonderful holiday, I can't wait to hear all about it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look fantastic in your gorgeous dress. RTW? I almost fainted. I like Jon's stripey shirt. You guys have packing down to a fine art. Have the absolutely very best time. I can't wait to see the photos. Safe travelling. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a fantastic trip, lovely. Look forward to hearing about it.
    Loves ya.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your posts they are like a very interesting magazine! Lots of different thoughts and perspectives. Have a great holiday enjoy your luxurious stay at the haveli.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoy your vacation! You've worked extra hard this year and deserve a much needed rest.

    I'll be looking forward to your photos and recap.

    Safe travels!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have lots of fun and enjoy all the sunny weather, the food, the people, the atmosphere!!
    So lovely that you shared some pics of Jon's baggage, you know I'm a huge fan of this kind of posts, I think they're inspiring!
    Your new dress looks absolutely You, and that's key for comfort! and so lovely that you found a bag and shawl so fabulous (pom-poms!!).
    And you're crocheting some cute squares in fab colors!, great job!
    I'm going to miss you anyway!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  27. Enjoy luscious lavish India Vix looking forward to your return to this blog.l love seeing all your photos and reading about your trip.l'm reading Nine Lives by William Dalrymple.Happy hols and safe return!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh it's a new dress, then it wasn't what I remembered. Glad it is of a decent quality for your high standards! It looks wonderful on you. Those canvas/leather boots are totally a discovery for me, never even heard of them.

    Have a wonderful trip to your happy land! I know you will be full of happiness for the whole month, and it'll nurse you for the whole year ahead. How symbolic that you spend the first month of every year in a place so dear to your heart.

    The last picture is amazing - it's classic by now! ;)
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cup runneth over as they say. How wonderful to find the perfect dress, scarf, boots and bag to wear.
    You certainly put the lazy dressers to shame, with your dogged searching for just the perfect item.
    Like Natalia, I've never heard of those canvas boots either. But they look like they would be perfect for the job.
    Looking forward to glimpses of India as usual. Enjoy your bliss! xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have a wonderful time , Already looking forward to the posts on your return xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Have a wonderful time. Good choices for travel wear.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have a blast, Vix! I really liked seeing what Jon's taking - I help my hubs figure out outfits when we travel so that he feels like himself, but is comfortable. We never look like tourists!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That horrible time of year again - when you go away and blog land becomes very "blah"! But looking forward to your return and telling of your adventures whilst away. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You're really getting the hang of granny squares, I adore the colours you've used.
    The new maxi looks fab! Have a wonderful trip, I look forward to reading all about it when you return.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Have a fabulous trip! Looking forward to the photos in Feb!
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Have a look at the Attic24 blog. Lucy taught herself crochet and has some great pictorial instructions. I always think crochet is calming (that is when you have got the hang of it!) Jax

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy New Year Vix! Have a fabulous trip (doesn't seem long since your last wonderful adventure). I confess to not being able to keep up with the blogging world over the last few months - writing a new book and doing up a house the day doesn't have enough hours. I had to step back and regain balance! You're still fabulous, lighting up the world, thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good luck and have a fab. time.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Have a fab trip - look forward to hearing about it in Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  40. By now you will be sunning yourself on a beach in India. I am so looking forward to the photos when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm ready for your trip and I'm not even going anywhere! Very excited for you and Jon. Sunshine seems a distant memory here.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Have an excellent trip! It's been really helpful seeing all your packing. Stay safe and come back with amazing stories.

    ReplyDelete
  43. So sorry I missed you to say goodbye. You'll be sunning yourself on a beach, or visiting a temple or buying fab bangles in a market by now, I expect. Have an absolutely wonderful time.

    Loved your Indian purchases from the £1.00 bucket and your dress was gorgeous. I'll bet you and Jon will be the most stylish people on board your flights!

    Well done with the crochet; it looks very professional. I'm wondering if you'll take any with you? Crochet hooks don't take up much space and wool is squashy; if I'm working on small things like squares or hexagons I always bring them with me to do while I'm waiting for the kids to come out of school or at an appointment for example...

    I'll miss you but look forward to hearing all about your trip.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Have fun! Can't wait to see the pix :)

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  45. I don't think you could ever be referred to as "subdued"! Nice last minute find on the dress, and thanks for sharing Jon's travel wardrobe with us. He always looks so sharp, unlike most guys when they travel to a warm climate. I used to have a dress made by Firetrap - they make interesting stuff.

    Have a smashing time, and we'll wait for your stories and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  46. The dress is perfect and I love the Indian bag. Very wise to cross-pack. xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Awesome choices! And fabulous job on the granny squares! Can't wait to hear all when you return 😗💜

    ReplyDelete
  48. I hope you're having the most amazing time Vix ❤

    ReplyDelete
  49. What kind of eyelash extensions do you get?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Vix, I'm currently reading through random years' worths of your blog and am on 2018. I'm intrigued - what are carrot-leg trousers??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix