Friday 12 February 2010

Look What I Got For 50p

Welsh Tweed coat, leather driving gloves and vintage Gladstone bag (Jumble sale), Liberty Peacock print shawl (£1 Charity shop), Ankle boots (£5 Local market)

 Oh, how I love a jumble sale. The anticipation and the excitement in the queue is palpable, will I find the coat of my dreams, the perfect festival dress or a crazy piece of kitsch? As the bolt slides across and the door swings open to reveal mounds of clothes, boxes spilling over with jewel coloured scarves and tables heaving under the weight of brac-a-brac and books, my palms are sweaty and my heart's racing, I toss my 20p piece onto the dish and rush towards my quarry.

I wore my new outfit to town this morning and received some lovely complements from complete strangers. I didn't tell them my entire outfit cost me £6.55!


At last night's Salvation Army jumble sale in amongst the usual high street tat I managed to find this Welsh tweed coat for 20p and the vintage Gladstone bag for 30p. The vintage leather driving gloves were 5p.



I also found this beautiful boxed powder puff and Birmingham-made Bakelite plinth bowl, both priced at 50p. They will look perfect on my dressing table.



Eagle-eyed readers asked about the cushions in yesterday's posting. I created them last weekend using some of my massive stash of vintage silk scarves.

I ironed some Vilene stiffener to the reverse of the scarves and used denim as a backing. The cats love them.


19 comments:

  1. Vix, would it be unbearably cheeky to ask you to let me know if you ever find another Gladstone type bag? Either handbag or weekend bag size. I want one so much and they all seem to cost an absolute fortune. I'm green with envy at your ability to find such amazing things for pennies!

    You look amazing today - the coat is absolutely perfect on you.

    Love the cushions too. THanks for the extra pics of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your bargains, that coat is fantastic, and the scarf cushions are fab. I have a belt that i think you will like, please let me have your address M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coat really is a thing of beauty! I am constantly amazed by your finds and your incredible, unstoppable style! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you find such amazing bargains! I like the idea of making old scarves into cushions - the repurposing of beautiful objects always pleases me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, such great bargains!, i can't believe the prices!! Everything looks so expensive and i absolutely love the delicate powder puff. I wana come and raid huge stash of stuff haha!..

    G, :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I knew I'd be jealous but wasn't prepared to be this jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOAH seriously great finds! and weekday evening jumble sales? Why don't we have these in London damnit! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you manage to find all the bargains - wish we had jumble sales that were that cheap! That bag is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow your jumble sale was so much more exciting than mine, the bag is just gorgous

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe the baragins you find, my charity shops are such a let down.
    Vicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're lucky to have such finds! and I love huge bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous finds yet again, you are a veritable bargain magnet Vix :)
    The powder puff is adorable!
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I concur with the rest! Such remarkable finds, complemented by such stunning style! I'm amazed at how constant the stream of treasures is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 50p I said, 50p? she won't get anything for 50p these days. :)
    Great bargains and those cushion covers are gorgeous, so pinching that idea for when I do our bedroom.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That coat looks like it was made for you. Don't even get me started on the bag and gloves - what fantastic finds!

    You are inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. erm, lucky much!!! i can never find stuff at boot sales :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. pattern on your jacket is actually pretty stuning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. how cool! you pulled everything together so perfectly! plus you have the fashion attitude to pull it off so well...love it.
    xox alison

    ReplyDelete
  19. As always I'm in awe!!! The jacket is divine! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix