Wednesday 17 February 2010

More Cool Hunting


Another find on yesterday's chazzing mission was this vintage woollen cape in Welsh Tweed. From the shop doorway my eyes were drawn to the rich colours peeking out from the rail and at £10 I thought it a good price for such a unique item.


I'm often asked how I manage to find quality vintage and designer goodies in charity shops, jumbles and car boot sales. I've been buying like this since I was a hard-up teen so it's second nature to me, but quite possible to develop a talent for thrifty shopping.


My first tip is to learn to distinguish between cheapo clothing and the real deal. First up visit the designer departments of upmarket department stores, feel the quality of the garments on the rails, examine the finish and notice the vibrancy of the colours. Next stop is your bog-standard high street chain ie., Primark or New Look, touch the clothes in there, notice the feel, the finish and the cut. Look at the way a zip is sewn in and the buttons attached. No matter how pretty the cheaper clothing looks there's a distinct difference.

My wardrobe, stuffed full of second-hand finds.

The more you visit shops and examine the merchandise the more adept you will become at spotting the treasure from the tat. Next time you pass a charity shop sweep your hand across the rail and pull out the item which feels the nicest, in time you'll learn to discern between Giorgio Armani and George at Asda by touch alone.

These boots caught my eye on a charity shop shoe rack yesterday, the leather and the style just screamed out "quality". They were a perfect fit and I didn't notice the Roland Cartier label until I got them home. Not bad for £3.99!

There's more tips and tricks on my blog. Here's a couple of links if you're pushed for time:



Happy hunting!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. Have read over the old ones as well. I'm fairly new to thrifting but I think I could come to enjoy it. For me at the moment I think will be in the "could this be the shop" and the "what treasures MIGHT I find". Your blog is the inspiration that it can be done. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vix, I always turn garments inside out in shops to examine the seams, and often put an item back if it's not well constructed. I get some funny looks, but it's worth it. I even got my bridesmaid's designer dress for £7 because the shop assistant couldn't tell the 'broken' zip was simply stuck...

    Great tips and as ever I am in awe of your ability to bag a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read your tips and guides Vix, wow thanks for that! I should be patient looking for good finds in charity shops...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's one huge factor that stop me from charity shopping more often and really hunting for special items - time. I don't run the same schedule as charity shops or jumble sales. It's such a shame really, because I'm getting more and more interested in second hand shopping. eBay is my main port of call and these days I search on there before looking in the shops... but with the postage charges, it's often cheaper to go to Primark.

    I must dedicate more of my precious free time to rummaging. I want some boots like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips! Finding the qualities pieces definitely comes from experience and getting to know the look and feel of good quality material. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Handy tips! I will try taking them onboard and get better at bargain hunting oh wise one! ;)

    I love finding a charity shop gem, only trouble is the shops round here are slightly concerned about someone my age going in there and hunting down a bargain. I get a lot of down the nose looks! No idea why.

    That cape is gorgeous, you can tell just from the photo it's quality.

    X xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips hun, keep them coming!

    I only really started car boot sale shopping last year and the clothing there tends to overwhelm me a little bit. I'm happier hunting for books or pretty crockery than I am working through a huge mountain of clothes in the vain aim of finding something in my size. Next time I go though, I'm going armed with lots of patience and I will hunt me down a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those boots are amazing, you clever thing xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These tips are indispensable! I'm well acquainted with charity shops, but I hope to take the plunge into the more chaotic world of jumble and car boot sales soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I love that coat!! Its so blue :D & I left you an award on my blog because I love your pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent tips- I am on the look out for appropriate jumbles as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there-a lady after my own heart, I too adore the boot sales and charity shops for a quality and preferably designer piece. Love your blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS-adore the vintage coat for 20p, thats a real style investment piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some more fab finds! Can't wait to hear more of your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great cape! And wow - amazing tips. I'm definitely going to be putting those to use!

    Amber
    ambersmouthwash

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome cape darling!
    Oh, how I'd love to have a closer sneaky peek inside your wardrobe ;)
    Another good thing to do for anyone just starting out "hunting" for vintage is to check out the label resource page on the vintage fashion guild website; a great way to acquaint yourself with some of the more noteworthy names :)
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tip, Jem and one I hadn't known about myself!
    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL Giorgio Armani and George at Asda..I love your turn of phrase! Bronnie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always been conscious of zips, hems, pattern matching. My mother beat it into me as a youngster!

    C
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix