Thursday 28 January 2010

Pants To The Tax Man!


Coat (Jumble Sale), Blouse (Ebay), Shoes and reworked shorts (Charity shop), Gloves (Car Boot Sale)


Needing to look business-like to visit my accountant this morning I quickly knocked up these city shorts from a pair of vintage dress pants I'd snaffled from the 50p rail at my favourite charity shop.


Fancy making a pair?

  • Get down to your local thrift shop and sift through the rails for a pair of men's slacks that fit you well.
  • Stand in front of a mirror and decide how long you'd like the finished shorts to be, add an extra three and a half inches and chop off the legs. 
  • Iron under a 2inch hem  and then fold 1.5inches of the hem back on itself (wrong side to right side), pin and hand stitch into place.
 Voila! City shorts in less time than it takes to watch a re-run of Sex And The City.



9 comments:

  1. Wow, that is the kind of thing I want to be able to do with my sewing machine! At the moment I'm gettting to grips with proper paper patterns, and anything else is just made up, but doesn't always work how expected :S Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your coat so much. I need to experiment with our sewing machine, though if my textiles lessons at school are anything to go by, it could prove expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Such a good idea, will definitely be giving this a go!

    Hope the trip to the accountant wasn't to taxing...see what I did there!! (ba dum tish!)

    X xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a great idea! i always love the thought of mens trousers but wasn't sure the cut was right, and you've solved my problem- shorts is a a genius idea.

    thank you for the award my lovely! i'm gonna do it tonight :) it was my first yay! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for this outfit! LOVE the flashes of green and your fabulous coat. And you're so talented - sewing machine skillz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bleeding taxman, eh :(
    I say -Leave us alone you flypaper handed bureaucrat, go and pick on someone with a bigger bank balance for a change :O
    I hope your accountant is doing a good job for you so that there are still plenty of pennies left after the horrid internal revenue agent has had his pound of flesh.
    Your outfit is terrific, the coat is lush & 10/10 for the shorts.
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My accountant was entle on me and found lots of little loopholes and things I could claim for that reduced the bill to a very bearable amount, thank heavens!

    Girls, the shorts are so simple that a sewing machine isn't required!

    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix